You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hans_the_Hawk

Karma and enemy spite reporting

60 comments in this topic

[BRIT6]
Beta Tester
69 posts
9,672 battles

Hi,

If this has been covered before I apologize, but I did take a quick look and couldn't find anything on this precise topic.

Am I the only one who used to have a Karma value that was always gradually improving (more up than down), I used to look every now and then and take heart from the fact my team-mates thought I was an asset and not a hindrance to the team.

Now my Karma is pretty always 0, I still see the compliments coming in occasionally after I have a good (or lucky) game, but after a couple more games it's zero again.

I'm pretty quiet in chat, if I ask a carrier to spot I say please and I don't rant and swear at other players (decided it was pointless 1000's of games ago) .

I guess that I like many here suffer from "Enemy player spite".

WG please remove the ability for the enemy team to report players that affects their Karma. I don't deserve negative Karma for sinking the enemy and helping my team. That's NOT KARMA

I try to play fair, play well and play without insulting others. My Karma should reflect this, not how much I'm p***ing off the enemy team by doing my job.

It's not really very important I agree, but does it annoy you too?

Thanks for reading

Hans

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[HOME]
Players
570 posts
7,632 battles

The person who came up with the idea of implementing the karma system into the game has probably never been on the internet. Does that answer your question? :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 6
  • Funny 11
  • Bad 1

[SOCKS]
Players
644 posts
5,171 battles

It's a horrible system, pretty much designed without any regard for the obvious consequences of petty players using it to report whatever crap they wish, and not the actually ban-worthy stuff. For crying out loud, there's not even an option to report bots.

It should be just be taken off the game. Plain and simple

[CATS]
Players
13,548 posts
10,358 battles

I usually do not get reported by the enemy. When my Karma drops, I usually had an argument with a teammember before that.

Karma drops out of the blue are rare for me.

Sailing Hamster
2,335 posts
9,224 battles
49 minutes ago, Hans_the_Hawk said:

Hi,

If this has been covered before I apologize, but I did take a quick look and couldn't find anything on this precise topic.

Am I the only one who used to have a Karma value that was always gradually improving (more up than down), I used to look every now and then and take heart from the fact my team-mates thought I was an asset and not a hindrance to the team.

Now my Karma is pretty always 0, I still see the compliments coming in occasionally after I have a good (or lucky) game, but after a couple more games it's zero again.

I'm pretty quiet in chat, if I ask a carrier to spot I say please and I don't rant and swear at other players (decided it was pointless 1000's of games ago) .

WG please remove the ability for the enemy team to report players that affects their Karma. I don't deserve negative Karma for sinking the enemy and helping my team. That's NOT KARMA

I try to play fair, play well and play without insulting others. My Karma should reflect this, not how much I'm p***ing off the enemy team by doing my job.

Thanks for reading

Hans

First of all: why do you care about Karma? It does literally nothing. Also, you don't suffer from enemy spite, you simply suffer from being an average player. Karma won't go up automatically, it goes up if you either are consistently having very good matches or if you are helpful and friendly in chat (while also writing a lot in chat). You do neither. So, sometimes people will report you (sometimes out of spite, but probably more ofte nthan not because they feel you haven't played a certain situation particularly well), and rarely you get upvoted. That's just how it is really.

And again: you shouldn't care about karma. It's meaningless.

Players
159 posts

These days I've found that salty players try and use the karma against you if you don't do as they say,I don't care for it and never will and it should be removed.

Players
83 posts
16,777 battles
32 minutes ago, bigdoguk said:

These days I've found that salty players try and use the karma against you if you don't do as they say,I don't care for it and never will and it should be removed.

It is not about saltiness. You dev strike an enemy ship, get reported. Don't go where a random ally tells you to go, get reported. Get into a discussion in chat and get reported. Play bad, get reported, play good get reported. Don't chat at all, don't shine in the game but manage to finish it in the middle, you still get reported. Keep your star in ranked and get reported for it. Why? Because reporting has sanctions like being chat banned. So, mostly people report each other for misbehavior in chat because it is the only one with sanction. In return, what do you get when you are complimented? Nothing. A big fat nothing but some numbers next to your game level 15. The reason people say karma system is meaningless lies here. It has only punishment for bad conduct but no incentive for good conduct. It is simply one sided. Another reason is divisions abusing the system. If WG wants karma system to work, they need to find solutions to these two problems. Otherwise, in its current state it only serves WG (as they can determine who the AFK players are, or toxic ones so they can punish them in order not to lose customers) but players with good conduct benefit nothing out of this.  

• Cool 2

Players
250 posts
1,332 battles
21 minutes ago, L8viathan said:

what do you get when you are complimented? Nothing. A big fat nothing but some numbers next to your game level 15.

It's hard not to agree with this point. I get that WG might be concerned about people playing the system if there were actual rewards, although that's idle speculation on my part rather than something I know they've said. Maybe something like getting one FTW camo – which have previously been given away for good behaviour, although possibly only on NA judging from the links I found* – for every ten compliments would be good (with reports not affecting progress; numbers could be tweaked). It would be something nice, but not so amazing that people potentially gaming the system would be a major problem. What do others think? Is there a problem with such a system that I've overlooked?

*Source: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/rules-and-rewards/

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,964 posts
4,952 battles
12 minutes ago, 10ThousandThings said:

What do others think? Is there a problem with such a system that I've overlooked?

Many, amongst them, that is going to be used by humans and played.

To the OP, ignore it? Has literally no bearing on anything in game.

[UNICS]
Players
2,776 posts
11,498 battles

The thing is, Karma obviously has bearing on the game. People use it and care about it. Working as intended. Obviously it could be improved upon.

• Cool 1

Players
250 posts
1,332 battles
8 minutes ago, Juanx said:

amongst them, that is going to be used by humans

Hmmm, yes, it did just occur to me that it could open the door too: 'I want my camo, why did you not compliment me? Now I'm going to be a :etc_swear: about it'.

So perhaps not worth it. It would be good if WG could find a way to implement a carrot as well as a stick, but maybe this isn't it. I should make sure I've had at least one cup of tea before attempting blue-sky thinking.

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,964 posts
4,952 battles
14 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Karma obviously has bearing on the game.

Such as?

[CATS]
Players
13,548 posts
10,358 battles
  • More compliments/reports
  • Some people take it seriously (see reports and complains about reports)
  • Cool 2

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,964 posts
4,952 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:
  • More compliments/reports
  • Some people take it seriously (see reports and complains about reports)

I might be wrong, but is that answer for me?

If it is, those items have no bearing in game...

Next please?

[CATS]
Players
13,548 posts
10,358 battles
1 minute ago, Juanx said:

I might be wrong, but is that answer for me?

If it is, those items have no bearing in game...

Next please?

Compliments are not part of the game?

Players are not part of the game?

• Cool 1

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,964 posts
4,952 battles
Alle 13/10/2018 alle 11:36, ColonelPete ha scritto:

Compliments are not part of the game?

Players are not part of the game?

OK, let me put this in simple terms, since you seem to be under the influence today: being part of the game has nothing to do with having a "bearing in the game", *edited*

So, anything else today?

Edited by NickMustaine
Provocations
  • Bad 1

Players
2,261 posts
Alle 13/10/2018 alle 01:54, Hans_the_Hawk ha scritto:

Hi,

Thanks for reading

Hans

Two things...one, ignore karma because it is b0llocks,  and two, (your biggest error) as soon as you whine in game or on the forum about getting a -1*edited* they get a tiny stiffy because they know they riled you up. 

Go and look at the 'Iowa clan' thread about karma and see how members of that clan are getting a bit moist in the pantie region about someone crying about being reported by them in game. 

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/107310-iowa-clan-and-chat-ban-report-system-abuse/

Edited by NickMustaine
Inappropriate remarks
  • Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
13,548 posts
10,358 battles
23 minutes ago, Juanx said:

OK, let me put this in simple terms, since you seem to be under the influence today: being part of the game has nothing to do with having a "bearing in the game", I know, people like you have hard times understanding even the simplest of concepts.

So, anything else today?

Looks like you do not understand what "bearing on" means. Need a dictionary?

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,964 posts
4,952 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Looks like you do not understand what "bearing on" means. Need a dictionary?

Erm, the karma number has no bearing in any in-game stat, why are you discussing a clear fact?

You might want to take another dose off todays meds, the 1st one did not work.

• Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,872 posts
10 hours ago, Hans_the_Hawk said:

Hi,

If this has been covered before

1200 times.

I apologize

Apologies accepted. :Smile_veryhappy:

It's not really very important I agree

There you go.

but does it annoy you too?

Not for long. There are always 11 reports waiting to get used. :Smile_veryhappy:

Thanks for reading

You're welcome!

Hans

Skyllon

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[CATS]
Players
13,548 posts
10,358 battles
1 hour ago, Juanx said:

Erm, the karma number has no bearing in any in-game stat, why are you discussing a clear fact?

You might want to take another dose off todays meds, the 1st one did not work.

Who said anything about stats? Stick to what is posted, not what you dream about.

For reference:

2 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

The thing is, Karma obviously has bearing on the game. People use it and care about it. Working as intended. Obviously it could be improved upon.

[B0TS]
Players
334 posts
9,158 battles

you are right , this report system need to be removed or reworked ; its being abused alot 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
951 posts
17,165 battles
3 minutes ago, wot_chikor said:

you are right , this report system need to be removed or reworked ; its being abused alot 

Cool

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1