Sign in to follow this  
SirDixie

Relearning the game

9 comments in this topic

[HAERT]
Players
22 posts
887 battles

I'm getting back into warships, I haven't really played since the RN cruisers were the shiny new thing and you could buy Belfast.

The short version is that I'm finding it difficult to do well on a consistent basis against real opponents. One good game is usually followed by 3-4 (or 6) bad ones where I die early or miss every salvo. It's got so bad I am doing more damage in the St.Louis than any other ship, which is clearly not a good thing. When I'm spotting I'm not actually assisting as much as I think I am, when I go shooting stuff I normally get swatted quickly, when I'm keeping safe I feel like I'm not contributing to the team and when I play BB I just can't stand the glacial reload (probably because I need more practice at deflection etc).

So, with that in mind where's a good place to be learning things and good vids to watch (watching Notser and Flambass on Twitch but most streaming seems to be high tier stuff)? Any particular lines and ships I should be aiming at or revisiting?  I will say I'm not going back to the Emerald and if anyone does I'm going to be on your team being bad in the Atlanta instead... :Smile-_tongue:

Also, which are people's preferred choice of crate? I've mostly gone for consumables up to now with the occasional flag/camo thrown in.

In port atm (apart from tier 1 ships):

Chikuma

St. Louis (1/4 pt captain)

S. Carolina (1/2 pt captain)

Clemson (1/4 PT/SSE)

Omaha (2/8 PT/EM/DE)

Texas (10 skill capt PT/EM/BFT/AFT)

Pensacola (1/4 PT/EM)

Atlanta (1/11 PT/EM/BFT/AFT) mostly used for co-op and scenarios

Dresden

Emden

Leander (Bert Dunkirk PT/SSE/SI/CE plus another with PT/SSE/SI who has been replaced for now)

Also have the mission for the RN HMS Acasta. Long term plan is for Bert to go into the Fiji, but I'm not ready for real tier 7 games so that needs to wait.

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,244 posts
5,955 battles

If you want to get some good beginner videos on youtube just search for "world of warships tutorial" or something similar. One of the better types of videos is the Ichase's "Captain's Academy", so try watching some of these videos. Some may be slightly out of date, but they are still relevant.

For example:

Here's a list of pros and cons for different ship lines you might want to take a look at.

Spoiler

Cruisers

Spoiler

US cruisers:

+Very good AA

+Superheavy AP shells at high tiers with increased penetration angles

-Slow shells

-No torpedoes (with the exception of tiers 4 and 5)

-High shell arcs

US light cruisers:

+Very good AA

+Can to a lot of damage in a very short time

+Fast rate of fire

+Can equip radar and hydro

+Good concealment

-Thin armor

-Very slow shell velocity

-No torpedoes

-Require IFHE skill to reach full potential

IJN cruisers:

+Good AP shells and high caliber guns at lower tiers

+Very good HE shells

+Long range torpedoes

+Decent shell velocity

+Good concealment

-Poor torpedo arcs (can only fire them backwards)

-Poor AA

-Slow turret rotation speed

German cruisers:

+Good range

+Decent AA

+Very good AP shells

+Turtleback armor at higher tiers

+Fast turret traverse

-Mediocre HE shells

-Relatively low concealment

Russian cruisers:

+Long range

+Very good shell velocity

+Low shell arcs

+Fast

-Poor AA

-Slow rudder shift

-Poor concealment

British light cruisers:

+Good rate of fire

+Excellent AP shells

+Single fire torpedoes

+Extremely fast heal

+Very good acceleration

-Very poor deceleration

-No defensive AA

-Very thin armor

-No HE shells

French cruisers:

+Decent speed

+Speed boost

+Fast rotating turrets

+Good artilery range

+Decent range torpedoes

-Mediocre armor

-Low ammount of torpedoes

-Somewhat easy to citadel

Battleships

Spoiler

US Battleships:

+Excellent AA at high tiers

+Good armor

+Decent high tier dispersion

-Subpar secondaries

-Slow at low tiers

-Shorter range

-Slightly bigger dispersion at lower tiers

IJN Battleships:

+Fast

+Decent accuracy

+Longer range

-Somewhat lacking AA

-Slightly less armor

German Battleships:

+Fast turret rotation speed

+Difficult to citadel

+Excellent secondaries at higher tiers

-Unreliable guns

-Short range AA

-High dispersion

UK Battleships:

+Difficult to citadel

+Extremely strong HE

+Very good concealment at higher tiers

+Very good heal

-Slow turret traverse

-Mediocre AP at lower tiers

-Very poor deceleration

French Battleships:

+Most have a large number of guns

+Decent AA

+Decent turret traverse

+Speed boost at higher tiers

-Relatively low dispersion per turret

-Small gun caliber on most ships

Destroyers

Spoiler

US destroyers:

+Very good turrets (fast reload, rotation speed)

+Best for hunting other destroyers at close range

-Medium/short range torpedoes at low tiers

-Slow shell velocity

-Rainbow arcs

IJN torpedo boats:

+High shell velocity

+Good damage per shell

+Long range torpedoes

+Good concealment

+Best for stealth torpedoing enemy ships

-Slow turret reload

-Slow turret rotation

IJN gunboats:

+Decent shell velocity

+Fast rate of fire

+A lot of guns

-Not very manouverable

-Situational torpedoes

-Require IFHE skill to do almost any HE damage

Soviet destroyers:

+Very fast

+Good gun range

+Good shell velocity

+Best for long range engagements

-Very short range torpedoes until high tiers

-Slightly slower rudder shift

-Poor concealment

-Slow turret traverse

German destroyers:

+Forward firing torpedoes at low tiers

+Decent turret traverse

+Strong AP shells

+Hydro

-Slightly shorter gun range

-Medium range torpedoes

Pan-Asian destroyers:

+Extremely short torpedo concealment

-A combination of ships from different nations causes inconsistency

-Torpedoes cannot hit destroyers

British destroyers:

+Can equip short range hydro

+Single launch torpedoes

+Good concealment

-Slow

-No speed boost

Carriers

Spoiler

US carriers:

+Larger squadrons

+Very good for specialized air superiority

+Good at specialized bombing

-Less squadrons

-Slow at low tiers

IJN carriers:

+More squadrons

+Very versatile

+Fast at low tiers

-Smaller squadrons

If you're not comfortable playing battleships, I suggest trying cruisers first.

• The best ones to start with in my opinion are the Japanese cruisers. They have decent guns, armor and concealment for cruisers at all tiers.
  • The second line I'd recommend would be either the German line or the US heavy cruiser line. Both can be good for a beginner.

If you try playing destroyers I suggest you start with the US destroyer line. They are the most well rounded of them all. Decent torpedoes, guns and concealment. They're right in the middle of it all.

The lines to avoid at first would be:

• British light cruisers: They have absolutely no armor, or HE shells. They rely on their smoke very often and require the most skill to play out of all cruiser lines. Try to leave these for when you have more experience.
  • Soviet destroyers: Can be a pain for new players because of their horrible concealment.
  • US light cruisers: Though very powerful, their slow shells require quite a bit of skill when aiming at moving targets past 14km.

46 minutes ago, SirDixie said:

Also, which are people's preferred choice of crate? I've mostly gone for consumables up to now with the occasional flag/camo thrown in.

At the moment? The "more resources" ones, as I'm gathering my coal to buy a tier 9 or a possibly tier 10 coal ship. Otherwise I almost always take the more consumables one as it saves quite a bit of credits, with the ocasional try your luck.

Also a bit of shameless self advertisment: If you happen to be looking for a clan in which you can recieve clan bonuses but do not require to do anything clan related (like clan battles) other than contribute some oil once in a while, be sure to let me know.

[NED]
Players
4,077 posts
11,176 battles

Play coop for a couple of rounds to scrub off the worst rust. You'll see the unknown lines there in a more forgiving environment.

The main principles have remained the same-ish. Resume your grinds in a steady pace. Rushing through the tiers is still a bad idea.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
2,264 posts
7,336 battles

All your ships in port are rather bad apart form Atlanta which requires some magic and planing to do well. Try some GB battleships like Orion at tier 5 or battleships in general since they are easier to play - armored, lots of hp, heal, big guns and good AA on some of them. With right perks and modules they can withstand a lot.

[HAERT]
Players
22 posts
887 battles
On 12/10/2018 at 6:49 PM, domen3 said:

If you want to get some good beginner videos on youtube just search for "world of warships tutorial" or something similar. One of the better types of videos is the Ichase's "Captain's Academy", so try watching some of these videos. Some may be slightly out of date, but they are still relevant.

For example:

If you're not comfortable playing battleships, I suggest trying cruisers first.

• The best ones to start with in my opinion are the Japanese cruisers. They have decent guns, armor and concealment for cruisers at all tiers.
  • The second line I'd recommend would be either the German line or the US heavy cruiser line. Both can be good for a beginner.

If you try playing destroyers I suggest you start with the US destroyer line. They are the most well rounded of them all. Decent torpedoes, guns and concealment. They're right in the middle of it all.

Also a bit of shameless self advertisment: If you happen to be looking for a clan in which you can recieve clan bonuses but do not require to do anything clan related (like clan battles) other than contribute some oil once in a while, be sure to let me know.

On 12/10/2018 at 7:11 PM, Ferry_25 said:

Play coop for a couple of rounds to scrub off the worst rust. You'll see the unknown lines there in a more forgiving environment.

The main principles have remained the same-ish. Resume your grinds in a steady pace. Rushing through the tiers is still a bad idea.

On 12/10/2018 at 7:36 PM, Geralt_z_Rivii365 said:

All your ships in port are rather bad apart form Atlanta which requires some magic and planing to do well. Try some GB battleships like Orion at tier 5 or battleships in general since they are easier to play - armored, lots of hp, heal, big guns and good AA on some of them. With right perks and modules they can withstand a lot.

Thanks for the replies. I watched a few videos, played a few games (with mixed results) won some and lost some. I got a 50k damage game with Leander (maybe not great in the wider scheme of things but I'm happy) followed by getting instantly swatted in my next game out. I guess the biggest thing is when I do have a good game I can't be sure whether it's because I played well or the other team were awful :Smile_coin:

Players
980 posts
8,121 battles
Am 12.10.2018 um 19:14, SirDixie sagte:

So, with that in mind where's a good place to be learning things and good vids to watch

The best tutorials far and wide are Flamu's imho.

Flambass is amusing to watch but he doesn't go for a methodical or even systematic approach, he just drops the odd nugget of wisdom here and there while streaming.

Only problem is sometimes altered game mechanics or ship buffs/nerfs render some of his older content obsolete and it is not always easy to figure out which.

Players
4 posts
77 battles

This good video, above, speaks about the enemy ship's damage control "being popped." How do you know when that has happened? What signal or sign appears?

[BONI]
Players
1,034 posts
8,904 battles
1 hour ago, Ranger772 said:

This good video, above, speaks about the enemy ship's damage control "being popped." How do you know when that has happened? What signal or sign appears?

If you set any fires or floodings, you'll see the damage tick in on the damage counter in the upper right (I think you need to enable it in the settings). If the damage stops rolling in soon after you set the fire/flooding, it means the target used DCP to put them out. That said, there are skills and upgrades that can reduce fire duration.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,865 posts
5,310 battles
8 hours ago, Ranger772 said:

What signal or sign appears?

There isn't a definitive signal; you have to deduce when DCP has been triggered based on other information.

@MoveZig covers it off well, if you triggered the DoT effect (fire or flood) yourself; if you happen to be looking at a ship that is ablaze, and you know those fires are recent and you didn't start them, if they suddenly vanish it's likely that DCP got triggered. It's worth having an idea of how long fires burn for on the different classes (much longer on BBs for example), as well as the immunity period after DCP is used too...

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this