Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
who_dares_wins

PSA: Create polls that are unbiased

Are there too many BBs at mid-high tiers?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. An example of a good poll on this question:

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • Don't care
  2. 2. An example of a bad poll:

• Yes, there are far too many, ruining gameplay
    • No, I'm fine with massive numbers of BBs resulting in overly passive and uninteresting gameplay

12 comments in this topic

Players
237 posts
1,735 battles

While I have been browsing this forum, I keep seeing people who are making gameplay suggestions and try to show that support for their changes exists, usually by creating a poll. However, most of these polls are designed to result in the OP's suggestion coming out on top. This is done by limiting the number of options and/or wording the responses in such a way that it drives people to vote slightly differently than they would otherwise. Such polls should be avoided because they A) Tell us nothing and B) Are ignored by WG (if they actually read this forum). Included are an example of a good and bad poll, on the topic of BB overpopulation.

• Cool 14

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,965 posts
4,952 battles

A skewed poll is useless in itself, people will either not vote, or troll the poster because the poll is clearly one sided.

Also, that would mean WG would have to adhere to some of their rules, and we all know how they stick to their own rules and deadlines.

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles
1 hour ago, 10ThousandThings said:

Here's hoping this gets pinned, even if only for a week.

i second this

Players
367 posts
4,209 battles
2 hours ago, who_dares_wins said:

While I have been browsing this forum, I keep seeing people who are making gameplay suggestions and try to show that support for their changes exists, usually by creating a poll. However, most of these polls are designed to result in the OP's suggestion coming out on top. This is done by limiting the number of options and/or wording the responses in such a way that it drives people to vote slightly differently than they would otherwise. Such polls should be avoided because they A) Tell us nothing and B) Are ignored by WG (if they actually read this forum). Included are an example of a good and bad poll, on the topic of BB overpopulation.

Thing is, while you have a good point, even a moderately popular poll could hope to reach about 100 votes at best. Which is, frankly, a miniscule fraction of the active player base of several hundred thousand. On top of that, forumites are not really a balanced representation of the overall player base. Based on those two points alone, no poll on these forums, biased or otherwise, can be taken to represent the feelings of the players overall.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,043 posts
6,165 battles

A good example of a biased pool:

- Have you stopped beating your wife recently?

Options: Yes and No

Answer yes: You were beating your wife!

Answer no: You were beating your wife and STILL doing it!

Doesn't matters the fact that you never had a wife to begin with.

Another example where the answer might change the question:

- "Are you a Homo?"

- Yes and No

Yes: you re gay.

No: You don't belong to the Homo sapiens species.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
237 posts
1,735 battles
7 hours ago, mrk421 said:

Thing is, while you have a good point, even a moderately popular poll could hope to reach about 100 votes at best. Which is, frankly, a miniscule fraction of the active player base of several hundred thousand. On top of that, forumites are not really a balanced representation of the overall player base. Based on those two points alone, no poll on these forums, biased or otherwise, can be taken to represent the feelings of the players overall.

While this is correct that the silent majority of the playerbase are not taken into account, and that WG ignores this forum (and all of the non-Russian ones bar ST for that matter), polls can still have a use, either for gauging the views of the forum goers or simply for encouraging debate. If a poll is slanted one way or another by accident or design then many people abstain from voting, as seen in several threads with such polls. This makes the poll completely rather than merely mostly useless. Even if these polls are pointless, good poll design should be encouraged anyway because it is applicable outside of this context. 

Players
367 posts
4,209 battles
4 hours ago, who_dares_wins said:

While this is correct that the silent majority of the playerbase are not taken into account, and that WG ignores this forum (and all of the non-Russian ones bar ST for that matter), polls can still have a use, either for gauging the views of the forum goers or simply for encouraging debate. If a poll is slanted one way or another by accident or design then many people abstain from voting, as seen in several threads with such polls. This makes the poll completely rather than merely mostly useless. Even if these polls are pointless, good poll design should be encouraged anyway because it is applicable outside of this context

Absolutely agree!

And I'm glad you made this topic.

2 hours ago, xxTANK_Uxx said:

Ahoy Captains!

Topic moved to the correct section.

Have a good evening all,

xxTANK_Uxx

Censorship?

Players
237 posts
1,735 battles
6 minutes ago, mrk421 said:

Censorship?

I mean, the whole point of the example poll was so that it would fall under "gameplay" rather than "off topic", but what can you do?

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this