Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nautical_Metaphor

Reworked Torpedo Warning: Once Again WG overshoots target

43 comments in this topic

Players
873 posts
7,720 battles

In the upcoming update 0.7.9.10, we will be treated to a revised version of the torpedo warning.

While no doubt many players will appreciate they will now receive far fewer warnings, because they can get on your nerves, in my view, WG has done too much.

It turns out you will no longer get any false alarms at all.

It's not just about torpedoes that have no chance of hitting your ship on its current trajectory. You will not even get warnings any more against deep water torpedoes headed directly for your ship - if you are in a ship they can't hit.

My view is that is overdoing it and dumbing down the game too much.

Deciding if an onrushing spread of torps is a threat is a skill you no longer need to develop now, and as such, this measure constitutes a buff of torp targets as well as a nerf of (stealthy) torp ships. In other words, once again the IJN torpedo DDs get the shaft.

• Cool 10
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[POP]
Players
289 posts
7,161 battles

Well, no more reasons to shoot torps against close rushing cruisers in an Asashio and getting reported for doing it! :dance_turtle:

• Cool 4

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles

Less unnecessary beeps is good imo. Seems like a small improvement that I don't see much reason to criticize.

• Cool 5

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles

WG's new meta is to keep shitting on dds.
3 more years for the rework

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[_MIA_]
Players
2,945 posts
5,366 battles
1 hour ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Deciding if an onrushing spread of torps is a threat is a skill you no longer need to develop now, and as such, this measure constitutes a buff of torp targets as well as a nerf of (stealthy) torp ships. In other words, once again the IJN torpedo DDs get the shaft.

You could also not get a warning, because you are not in the path, turn, and suddenly take the torp because the game didnt tell you in advance. I wonder how accurate the system will be.

Im not sure if i like the change. Seems to have up- and downsides imo.

The thing i do like, is not getting a warning if DWTs are passing me - even more so for friendly torps.

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
Players
2,722 posts
9,874 battles
7 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

The thing i do like, is not getting a warning if DWTs are passing me - even more so for friendly torps.

That's the only positive part. Everything else? Sorry, but that's a nerf to DDs. A lot of torp hits were because of player error, especially when it came to highly visible IJN torps. Now you just will need to adjust until the icon changes and you're golden. I expect the hit rate of torps to drop sharply.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
701 posts
17,415 battles
2 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

That's the only positive part. Everything else? Sorry, but that's a nerf to DDs. A lot of torp hits were because of player error, especially when it came to highly visible IJN torps. Now you just will need to adjust until the icon changes and you're golden. I expect the hit rate of torps to drop sharply.

At least in PT 1 i got so many false torpedo warnings that i was sick of it. And i don't see how this is a nerf to DD unless you won't get alarm when you sail between torpedo spread(torpbeating).

Players
873 posts
7,720 battles
Vor 18 Minuten, DFens_666 sagte:

That's the part I hate most of all.

Which might have something to do with the fact I feel downright castrated and helpless in a DD anyway if i can't torp other DDs.

[BYOB]
Players
2,722 posts
9,874 battles
3 minutes ago, Profilus said:

And i don't see how this is a nerf to DD unless you won't get alarm when you sail between torpedo spread(torpbeating).

That's the gist of the change, isn't it? From the upcoming patch forward the game will tell you whether a torp will hit you, or not.

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
16 minutes ago, Profilus said:

At least in PT 1 i got so many false torpedo warnings that i was sick of it. And i don't see how this is a nerf to DD unless you won't get alarm when you sail between torpedo spread(torpbeating).

I'm not sure if torpbeating will change that much due to this... The close ones you usually just get out from the last 1/10 sec, the rest aren't that close that will make a difference anyway...?

[_MIA_]
Players
2,945 posts
5,366 battles
8 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

That's the part I hate most of all.

Which might have something to do with the fact I feel downright castrated and helpless in a DD anyway if i can't torp other DDs.

So you deliberately torp enemy DDs with your PA-DDs? :cap_yes:

I dont understand the problem in that... So if you get torped by a PA-DD (in a DD), the torps will be spotted so late, that most likely you would want to evade them, just out of habit. If you know however, that there is only a PA-DD, which is torping you (because they are dumb) then you wouldnt evade anyway.

If you play a DD, and a friendly PA-DD is torping your way, then it is just better to not get a warning. Because i might not know in advance who threw those torps. So i have to look around and see if they are DWTs or Not. Now you dont have to do that anymore, which is good.

• Cool 1

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,979 posts
4,965 battles

Its the logical progression, the average amoeba that plays this game needs more dumbing down.

However, they will then complain when the simplest of mechanics is hard to put into the skull of the average donkey that plays this, because attracting the very bottom crust of the barrel has always been the best plan...

• Cool 5

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
9 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Its the logical progression, the average amoeba that plays this game needs more dumbing down.

However, they will then complain when the simplest of mechanics is hard to put into the skull of the average donkey that plays this, because attracting the very bottom crust of the barrel has always been the best plan...

Because more unnecessary noise in the game is always good? removing it is dumbing the game down?

• Boring 1

[BYOB]
Players
2,722 posts
9,874 battles
13 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Because more unnecessary noise in the game is always good? removing it is dumbing the game down?

There's a difference between removing unnecessary alerts like the PADD torp alert for DDs, and holding the hand of the potato and telling him "let me show you when you are going to avoid the torpedo".

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
1 minute ago, Aragathor said:

There's a difference between removing unnecessary alerts like the PADD torp alert for DDs, and holding the hand of the potato and telling him "let me show you when you are going to avoid the torpedo".

Ofc, but but do you consider all the times the potato won't take notice of the torpedos because of no sound and instead turn into them?

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,979 posts
4,965 battles
1 minute ago, loppantorkel said:

Ofc, but but do you consider all the times the potato won't take notice of the torpedos because of no sound and instead turn into them?

Erm, what?

No sound = no hit, so nothing to "turn into", as they do now.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BYOB]
Players
2,722 posts
9,874 battles
5 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Erm, what?

No sound = no hit, so nothing to "turn into", as they do now.

Yeah, potatoes will get sound and visual indicators to warn them against attacks. What's next? A klaxon for when someone looks at their broadside?

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
4 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Yeah, potatoes will get sound and visual indicators to warn them against attacks. What's next? A klaxon for when someone looks at their broadside?

Are you scared the potatoes will outperform you?

[HMSR]
Players
1,645 posts
5,871 battles
3 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Dont give them ideas, if a klaxon is implemented your in trouble :Smile-_tongue:

[BYOB]
Players
2,722 posts
9,874 battles
8 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Are you scared the potatoes will outperform you?

Have you heard about a story called "Harrison Bergeron" by Vonnegut?

It illustrates a situation where everyone is pulled down to the level of the potato. I don't think anyone here wants to play a game where mistakes made by players are actively compensated by the game.

A game where skill counts for nothing and RNG decides who wins.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
10 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Have you heard about a story called "Harrison Bergeron" by Vonnegut?

It illustrates a situation where everyone is pulled down to the level of the potato. I don't think anyone here wants to play a game where mistakes made by players are actively compensated by the game.

A game where skill counts for nothing and RNG decides who wins.

Although, this isn't the new mechanic that best exemplifies a dumbing down process. Some fights you pick because they are worth it, some just aren't worth picking. This is an improvement. I doubt the will help potatoes very much. If you think WG is dumbing the game down, there are better issues to argue about. I'm happy I get some noise reduction and I'm mostly playing dds. I'm not concerned about less torp hits.

Imo, there's too much whining about changes in the game. The changes most often show to be improvements. These are often forgotten while the few mistakes are remembered forever.

• Cool 1

Players
761 posts
6,661 battles

It sounds like it could be a little problematic, if players are getting too much information about the likelihood of a torp hit. Why should smoke camping DDs and players hiding behind islands get enhanced warnings rather than having to rely on skill and judgement? Area denial and distraction are valid torp ship tactics and this isn't going to make those methods work any better. Sounds like a nerf to torpedo boats overall.

[HUN]
Players
69 posts
1,671 battles

So, gone are the tactics of firing a wide spread of torpedoes at someone you know can easily dodge it, just for the purpose of making them turn and slow down and concentrate on navigating instead of shooting? Now if they see they won't be hit, they will just continue onward without even throwing their aim off.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
2 minutes ago, Praevasc said:

So, gone are the tactics of firing a wide spread of torpedoes at someone you know can easily dodge it, just for the purpose of making them turn and slow down and concentrate on navigating instead of shooting? Now if they see they won't be hit, they will just continue onward without even throwing their aim off.

Oh noes :Smile_ohmy:

• Boring 1

[_MIA_]
Players
2,945 posts
5,366 battles
58 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

It sounds like it could be a little problematic, if players are getting too much information about the likelihood of a torp hit. Why should smoke camping DDs and players hiding behind islands get enhanced warnings rather than having to rely on skill and judgement? Area denial and distraction are valid torp ship tactics and this isn't going to make those methods work any better. Sounds like a nerf to torpedo boats overall.

53 minutes ago, Praevasc said:

Why are you assuming that you will get an enhanced warning time? I dont see it that way (probably WG as (un)clear as always.

First of all, the torps need to be spotted. So if you throw a torpedospread at something, he still has to evade them unless he can spot them right away. And if he can spot them right away, you dont want him to turn, or you want him to turn into them.

2nd we dont know if the torpedo warning will start at a different time from what we have right now. Torpedo warning starts at a certain distant from ship to torp. I think you assume, that you will get a warning if the torps are like 8km away and already spotted. I dont think thats true (if it is, it would be totaly stupid ofc). I think the warning will only pop up at the same time it happens right now, IF you are in the path of the torps. Which doesnt mean, that you can evade them if you react by then. Also this still means that your torps have already been spotted.

Went to check the development blog

Yellow-Informative. It works if a torpedo moves towards a ship at a distance of 3 km.
Red-Dangerous. Turns on when if you continue in your ship’s direction, the torpedo will hit your ship or enter within a dangerous radius for your ship.

So basicly its the same like now isnt it (distance)? Also not being notified about torps, and changing your course might make unaware ppl actually turn into them. As i said earlier, i dont see it as clearcut as the others.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this