Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Akula971

Forgiven

32 comments in this topic

[FDUSH]
Players
1,043 posts
6,163 battles

Sometimes I was torpedoed by an ally. I do recognice people makes mistakes sometimes, however what I can't forgive it's when that happens and the one who torpedoed me doesn't even apologizes. Specially after I say something like "WTF (ship name or player name here)??". If THEN he doesn't apologizes it's when I give the report.

• Cool 4

[TTT]
Players
3,544 posts
7,443 battles

would be nice to see, but I dont think it'd be high on any kind of priority list^^

Also, there's a Suggestions thread pinned at the top that you can throw this into :cap_like:

Players
2,833 posts
5,124 battles

Not a bad idea. Nothing really that important but could add a nice gesture to the game. I actually remember myself not long ago in a similar situation, when playing Gaede. Our team had a hard time but a Loyang was playing really smart and made a lot of moves I was doing myself. So we end up fighting side by side at one point, were we are in the smoke, and we try to stop a rushing BB. We both have the same idea to send torps into him. He lauches first, im a little behind him, send mine right after. The moment I lauch em, I realize, the loyang went into reverse - and right into the path of my torps. I didnt even really have time to write something in chat, and boom, he goes down. I was really mad at myself, it was one of those moments, were you would have waited HALF a second, I´d saw, he started to reverse. So I end up appologizing to him, which he accepts, since he noticed, it happened cuz he reversed. We both complimented each other, which was a nice gesture from him. I still felt shitty but atleast we won.

[SRSLY]
[SRSLY]
Beta Tester
433 posts
12,039 battles

Nearly the same situation yesterday, the guy who torped me went pink, contacted me after the battle apologising. I would have forgiven him as well. Would be a nice to have such a feature.

Beta Tester
1,808 posts
2,019 battles
1 hour ago, Akula971 said:

I'd like to see a feature in game to forgive accidental team damage.

To err is human; to forgive, divine

This is a generous and very humanistic suggestion, Akula971. Unfortunately, the drawback is that having the option to press the "forgive" button, would lay the burden of making someone pink on the shoulders of the individual player. Because you would then have the power to prevent someone from going pink, you would also bear the moral responsibility for choosing not to do so. It is one hassle that I, for one, would rather avoid.

There is a kind of impartial justice to the automated team damage system. It does not deal in moral choices or weigh you as an individual - it simply follows its program code. Going pink is a straight-forward application of digital cause and effect. I think this is how it should be.

I should also add that apologizing after accidental team damage is absolutely the done thing. And if such an apology is offered in good faith, it is nearly always accepted with equal grace.

• Cool 5

[FDUSH]
Players
1,043 posts
6,163 battles

Another situation which maked me turn pink:

A dd managed to sneak right next to one of our cvs. He was at point blank range and unloaded his torpedoes, hitting our cv and leaving him with 300 hp or so. I was rushing back to help our cv and the dd was between us (still at point blank range). I knew I was risking to a teamkill because he was that close, but I shoot the dd anyways (which was quite low on hp). The result was that due dispersion I hit our cv and killed him, and I turned pink trying to save him.

It was unfair to turn pink for that. But I do understand creating an automatic mechanic for understand these kind of situations must be really, really hard.

Players
1,193 posts
4,905 battles

A "forgive" feature would be nice as I've been hit a few times when, during a DD vs DD/CA/BB brawl, a team-mates torp has missed its target and 30sec to 2 minutes later it's found it's way over to me while I've been engaging other enemies and it's usually followed by "sorry" etc chat (i.e. it's not an idiot spamming from the 2nd line etc) and in those situations being able to "forgive" would be very handy.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,808 posts
2,019 battles
1 hour ago, Sargento_YO said:

Another situation which maked me turn pink:

A dd managed to sneak right next to one of our cvs. He was at point blank range and unloaded his torpedoes, hitting our cv and leaving him with 300 hp or so. I was rushing back to help our cv and the dd was between us (still at point blank range). I knew I was risking to a teamkill because he was that close, but I shoot the dd anyways (which was quite low on hp). The result was that due dispersion I hit our cv and killed him, and I turned pink trying to save him.

It was unfair to turn pink for that. But I do understand creating an automatic mechanic for understand these kind of situations must be really, really hard.

This is an excellent example of how good intentions can lead to accidental team damage. Who would not forgive that? 

However, I would happily forgive team damage that was the result of outright miscalculation or even blatant clumsiness, just as long as I was offered an honest apology. There was this occasion where I was torpedoed from behind by an allied Nürnberg, while going into a reverse that he obviously hadn't anticipated. He apologised most humbly and sincerely, and was quite mortified. I told him not to worry about it, and we went on to have a very pleasant chat conversation while he sailed on to further adventures. It all ended with me complimenting him for a game well played, and I think this episode goes to show just how important it is to have a nice gaming community.

• Cool 2

Players
86 posts

Once I had a pink DD in my team, I was in a BB and we crossed paths and hit (yes in a DDs he was as far as a me in a BB from the enemy), He was very angry (like in a BB I could have easily avoided him) and torped me, but while I took some damage and survived, he was already damaged, and, being pink, was killed by the friendly damage! And in the game stats he appeared as killed by himself! :) Even someone from the enemy team asked how that could be, and I told him what had happened. I had lots of laughs for that... yes I laughed so much that I would have forgiven him !

Edited by M4R4Z

[SM0KE]
Players
1,527 posts
4,969 battles
2 hours ago, Procrastes said:

This is a generous and very humanistic suggestion, Akula971. Unfortunately, the drawback is that having the option to press the "forgive" button, would lay the burden of making someone pink on the shoulders of the individual player. Because you would then have the power to prevent someone from going pink, you would also bear the moral responsibility for choosing not to do so. It is one hassle that I, for one, would rather avoid.

There is a kind of impartial justice to the automated team damage system. It does not deal in moral choices or weigh you as an individual - it simply follows its program code. Going pink is a straight-forward application of digital cause and effect. I think this is how it should be.

I should also add that apologizing after accidental team damage is absolutely the done thing. And if such an apology is offered in good faith, it is nearly always accepted with equal grace.

This. Put far better than I could manage!

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,555 posts
4,752 battles

Nice thread, makes a change from the usual topics and approaches to them.

For me, if the guy apologises then all fine and good, it's easy to tell from the situation whether it was deliberate, negligent or my error/100% accident. I usually give them a compliment for good manners :) If it's my fault, then I always apologise.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
893 posts
8,685 battles
2 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Its part of being a well rounded adult, to assess the consequences of ones actions, and act accordingly, and to take responsibility.

It needs to be put in perspective, this is a game we are talking about.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
1,560 posts
5,756 battles

I can already see the threads of people complaining they where not forgiven by their victims.

As annoying as it might be to turn pink i would consider it preferable to having to deal with those "gentlemen" raging in port messages about how it really is all my fault they turned pink.

• Cool 2

[HAIFU]
Beta Tester
319 posts
6,563 battles

If someone turns pink it's not necessary to forgive them, if they're not purposefully causing damage pink status will be removed on its own.

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Players
858 posts
3,869 battles
28 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

I can already see the threads of people complaining they where not forgiven by their victims.

As annoying as it might be to turn pink i would consider it preferable to having to deal with those "gentlemen" raging in port messages about how it really is all my fault they turned pink.

This. I can see in-game chat filling up with heartfelt apologies turning to abuse if forgiveness isn't forthcoming regardless of whether it was intentional or not. I've turned pink thanks to idiots rushing into my torps but the key thing is they're my torps - I'm responsible for them from the moment they're launched until they hit something or run out of range. I'd much rather that be the default position than players having an expectation of forgiveness if they spam torps that could potentially hit allies.

You could always throw an ally a compliment for good manners if they apologise promptly, +1 karma doesn't do anything with the pink status but it's an acknowledgement that you're aware they didn't intend it.

• Cool 1

[FDUSH]
Players
1,043 posts
6,163 battles
1 hour ago, piet11111 said:

Depends... There are two kind of people in this matter:

- Those who genuinely regrets the damage done and wants to compensate it

- Or those who regrets it only due the punishment which comes with said damage. That kind of people only would apologize if it's discovered (and very often will try to deny it when ask it).

And definetely I wouldn't forgive the second ones.

Players
1,880 posts
5,879 battles

When I torp a teammate, it's ALWAYS my fault. That's the way torps are.

And whenever it happens, I publicly apologise and give +1 as to at least make up for it for a little bit. It's the least I could do :)

• Cool 4

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,964 posts
4,950 battles

Torping from second line is always a voluntary error, sadly they dont get sent to port and are banned from gaming for 24 hours after doing it.

Players
50 posts
11,995 battles

I think we have all accidentally torpedoed or damaged a friendly at some point and in close quarter combat it's embarrassingly easy to do but yeh it would be nice if at least there was a way to differentiate between accidental team damage and deliberate, 

It is annoying that even in tier 10 matches Zao and Hindenburg players will still torps from the second line but at least usually it's a panic reaction or just lack of awareness and when they say sorry at least you can move on knowing it's a mistake and hopefully they learnt, what I do really wish is that when players clearly sail up to you and deliberately damage your ship there was a proper way to highlight that their behaviour was intentional and they be punished appropriately 

still its nice nice to see a threat where so many people want to be polite and forgive accidents 

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,844 posts
8,040 battles

Hi all,

On 10/10/2018 at 12:49 PM, Akula971 said:

I just had a rather good game where I was scouting a cap in my RN Lightning, keeping the enemy Harugumo spotted, whilst our Harugumo wrecked him. After that there was either by accident or design a situation where one was spotting whilst the other was shooting. Near the end our Harugumo sent a volley of torps out to a charging Amagi, but had not noticed I was in the way. I only took one, that took away 75% of my HP, and he went Pink. A complete accident. The player apologised after game. I wasn't actually bothered, as the pair of us had wrecked so many charging potatoes. If I could have forgiven him, and taken his pinkness away I would have.

I'd like to see a feature in game to forgive accidental team damage.

To err is human; to forgive, divine

Nice idea! :Smile_great:

Leo "Apollo11"

[IRQ]
Players
2,678 posts
6,353 battles

This is a good idea, and I'd like to see it implemented.

I don't think there's an issue with the morality of having the choice to forgive or not. It's no different from always having to refrain from shooting my incompetent allies. Now that's a decision that takes real strength of character. Choosing whether to forgive someone is a tiny blip on the radar in online PvP games.

Sign in to follow this