Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Horin728

CVs in T5 ranked

46 comments in this topic

[CSF]
Players
467 posts
4,589 battles

So my big question for the next ranked season is:

Will the CVs get their manual drops back for ranked? 

Arguments for:

1) Balancing disparity between IJN and USN fighters - since now the situation is that IJN CVs would loose their fighters 90% of the time

2) Ships sitting in smoke are basically invincible, since you can't manually target the predicted position (or muzzle flashes) - with the ranked being much more about capping it is quite imperative the CV has at least a chance at attacking the enemy DD that is sitting in his smoke reversing the cap at 970 points...

Arguments against:

1) Err... Sealclubbing? But since you'd get promoted to higher ranks and got decent oposition in the enemy CV that would balance itself out quite quickly.

Thoughts? Arguments for/against?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,652 posts
13,081 battles

Probably not.

Lets face it, low tier CVs with manual drop were tier for tier THE most overpowered thing in this game. Cruisers and DDs would both easily get oneshot while BBs would sustain near fatal damage. There were pretty much no counterplay options either as low tier AA was and still is garbage.

Trust me, I've had ample experience clubbing seals in my Bogue. :Smile_hiding:

The easy way to address this would've been to tune down low tier CV alpha strike and plane survivability (imagine if a New York had NC guns and accuracy. That's pretty much low tier CVs in a nutshell), but WG went full "LOL WE AREN'T LISTENING TO YOU BECAUSE WE KNOW BETTER" and removed alt attacks instead.

So unless they do a full 180 on us and actually implement what was asked for, for which there is little hope because "we aren't doing anything to CVs until the rework", alt attacks won't happen.

Not that it'd be particularly needed I think. Just roll with Bogue + GC and you're set. Keep the flood of Kamis spotted for days and you win air superiority by default while your GC div mate can mop up.

• Cool 12

[ITA_C]
Players
198 posts
6,165 battles

As a cv player i would suggest to remove cv from t5 ranked , in the actual state they are not fun to play and not balanced at all

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[DIKI]
Players
802 posts
295 battles
24 minutes ago, Torped1ne said:

As a cv player i would suggest to remove cv from t5 ranked , in the actual state they are not fun to play and not balanced at all

what is not balanced?

[POI--]
Players
3,167 posts
4,314 battles
2 hours ago, Horin728 said:

1) Balancing disparity between IJN and USN fighters - since now the situation is that IJN CVs would loose their fighters 90% of the time

How do Zuihous manage to beat Bogue in randoms then? Frankly, I'm pretty confident that if you give me a Zuihou, I can beat a Bogue every time or at least achieve parity. In fact, Bogue is just the worse carrier at T5.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,043 posts
6,163 battles
6 hours ago, Torped1ne said:

In the actual state they ARE fun. Less since they got the manual attack removed but still they are.

Anyhow, don't count in any changes to CVs, remember the silent plane bug and the waypoint set when selecting an enemy squad. Bugs introduced since 11 and 12 versions ago which I kept reporting but nobody did a ship about it. (And with WG´s mindset of "why fixing it if the rework it's soon?" a mindset akin of "Why wipe your a$$ if tomorrow you must take another dump anyways?)

4 hours ago, Riselotte said:

How do Zuihous manage to beat Bogue in randoms then? Frankly, I'm pretty confident that if you give me a Zuihou, I can beat a Bogue every time or at least achieve parity. In fact, Bogue is just the worse carrier at T5.

Ahh, the old times when Bogues had the 2-0-1 setup. I managed to develop tactics to defeat them in my Zuiho. I miss them.

Players
779 posts
6,831 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Probably not.

Lets face it, low tier CVs with manual drop were tier for tier THE most overpowered thing in this game.

[snip]

Agreed. Those manual control Kates and Devastators would just empty the field in a few waves, especially when guaranteed to face only T5 AA.

I've largely been playing the Zuiho in T5 since they removed the manual drops, and I also feel the Zuiho and Bogue are fairly well balanced.

I'm quite concerned about divisions running a CV plus one of the better T5 AA ships. They do exist if you look hard enough and have a suitable 19 pt captain to bring down.

[POI--]
Players
3,167 posts
4,314 battles
1 minute ago, Sargento_YO said:

Ahh, the old times when Bogues had the 2-0-1 setup. I managed to develop tactics to defeat them in my Zuiho. I miss them.

New 1-1-1 Bogue is just trash. So was old 2-0-1 Bogue. Like Langley, yeah, it might be able to win the air, but then what? autodrop your single torp wall that gets dodged most of the time and dive bomb to hope to get fires. Zuihou with 1-2-1 can at least cross-drop and while it has 2 less fighters, that's enough. In a div with any decent low tier AA ship anyway.

Players
779 posts
6,831 battles
4 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

New 1-1-1 Bogue is just trash. So was old 2-0-1 Bogue. Like Langley, yeah, it might be able to win the air, but then what? autodrop your single torp wall that gets dodged most of the time and dive bomb to hope to get fires. Zuihou with 1-2-1 can at least cross-drop and while it has 2 less fighters, that's enough. In a div with any decent low tier AA ship anyway.

... but I actually really loved the 1-1-0 Bogue. It sure lacked in the air control aspect, but it gave you super strong fighters for that tier, and excellent TB's. Plus -- and this is crucial -- you had really good RESERVES for both.

I really, really dislike the 1-1-1 Bogue. We lose almost all the reserves for the excellent fighters and TB's, and get those worthless DB's in return.

[ZERO]
Players
16 posts
3,038 battles

No, they won't.

Farazelleth asked the Devs, if they could do this, but ... eh let's assume they just said no.

[CSF]
Players
467 posts
4,589 battles
55 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Well there is only one way to beat them  - friendly AA and if the enemy is at least semi competent he won't engage you over it...

[POI--]
Players
3,167 posts
4,314 battles
1 minute ago, Horin728 said:

Well there is only one way to beat them  - friendly AA and if the enemy is at least semi competent he won't engage you over it...

Which is the key. 1-1-1 Bogue basically cannot attack your ships without risking its fighters in a dodgefight over your allies AA. At the very worst, both CVs only can play the spotting game and never engage, then Zuihou still has 4 squadrons to Bogue's 3. If the Bogue ever risks its fighters, you basically can beat them, then, when you won the skies, you actually have the strike package to get use out of it.

[RO-RN]
Players
136 posts
4,310 battles

no they wont! cvs at tier 4 and 5 are very bad with that manual aim you will have a hard time hitting a fast, maneuvrable ship!

[FDUSH]
Players
1,043 posts
6,163 battles
49 minutes ago, Horin728 said:

It´s easy: Upgrade your carrier´s AA to the max and go to the frontline hunting down enemy planes.

This reminds me of Pinky and the Brain, when someone sees them doing something suspicious and checks what they re doing. The brain answers something like "Actually we are mices trying to conquer the world". The guy laughs and disregards them thinking they are nuts or trolling... The Cassandra truth.

• Cool 2

[CSF]
Players
467 posts
4,589 battles
26 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

It´s easy: Upgrade your carrier´s AA to the max and go to the frontline hunting down enemy planes.

This reminds me of Pinky and the Brain, when someone sees them doing something suspicious and checks what they re doing. The brain answers something like "Actually we are mices trying to conquer the world". The guy laughs and disregards them thinking they are nuts or trolling... The Cassandra truth.

I would use my GZ for that, not Bogue :D

Players
1,467 posts
5,709 battles
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Remembers the good old 2/0/1 Bogue...

200aef77887f6bcb84b2785c6acfd23a.gif

[-GG-]
Players
132 posts
9,796 battles

If this RB were invented to lure ppl who are relatively new to WoWs then WG shoot its foot by allowing CVs (and divisions).

They will face an intimidating meta of World of Torps coming from the air and from the abundance of Kamikaze. They most likely don't have 19pts captains to even mitigate the floodings or build a kind-of-AA defence.

Experienced captains will rank out in two dayes. The newbies will be even more frustrated.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,043 posts
6,163 battles
3 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

Remembers the good old 2/0/1 Bogue...

200aef77887f6bcb84b2785c6acfd23a.gif

Too bad I missed the old 0-3-1 Zuiho setup. I really wish to have it again.

[DIKI]
Players
802 posts
295 battles
2 hours ago, radius77 said:

If this RB were invented to lure ppl who are relatively new to WoWs then WG shoot its foot by allowing CVs (and divisions).

They will face an intimidating meta of World of Torps coming from the air and from the abundance of Kamikaze. They most likely don't have 19pts captains to even mitigate the floodings or build a kind-of-AA defence.

Experienced captains will rank out in two dayes. The newbies will be even more frustrated.

yes..you are EDIT....run back to WOT

Edited by Kampa1987
Vulgarism

Players
1,467 posts
5,709 battles
1 minute ago, Sargento_YO said:

Too bad I missed the old 0-3-1 Zuiho setup. I really wish to have it again.

Never played that tbh... I only played Tier IV/V Carriers in random when the removed that stupid "manual system" and afaik that was befor that, right?

Still the old Bogue was just...

giphy.gif

• Cool 1

Players
98 posts
4,234 battles

In 8 vs 8 matches and especially 6 vs 6 in Season 1, good CVs are going to dominate.

...and quickly get to Rank 1 and no longer be able to participate. So there is a kind of balance there.

[QUCA]
Weekend Tester
896 posts
3,807 battles
6 hours ago, Horin728 said:

Arguments against:

Kami HP on t5 - 11 100, Bogue air dropped torpedo damage 9867 - 89%

Shima HP on t10 - 17 900, Midway air dropped torped odamage 9867 - 55%

Learn to play a real ship, CVs are OP enough on t5 even with autodrop (especially since there is no AA whatsoever on that tier).

• Cool 1

[CSF]
Players
467 posts
4,589 battles
18 minutes ago, Lord_WC said:

Kami HP on t5 - 11 100, Bogue air dropped torpedo damage 9867 - 89%

Shima HP on t10 - 17 900, Midway air dropped torped odamage 9867 - 55%

Learn to play a real ship, CVs are OP enough on t5 even with autodrop (especially since there is no AA whatsoever on that tier).

End result is the same - eat one - get hindered, eat two - you are dead.

Learn to play CVs, if they are so "OP"

Sign in to follow this