You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Henry_Strangways

A welcome to submariners.... HMS HOOD torpedoes ??

44 comments in this topic

Players
68 posts

Ahoy, (yes its lame).

I asked way back when I bought HOOD "why no torpedoes?" The reply was along the lines that WG developers were not going to design sub surface torpedo tubes... :cap_money:

Now that submarines are being trialled for Halloween, I have to wonder again. If submarines are added to the game, will HOOD have her torpedo tubes added?  :fish_haloween:

Honestly, just a clarification would suffice. It does seem to me that the addition of  2 × 2 – 21-inch (above water/fixed mounts) torpedo tubes is something that the design team should now consider, along with the logistics of rolling the upgrade out across the game. 

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hood) for historical information   :fish_book:

(http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Hood) for game model information  :fish_boom:

Many thanks

Starboard 10... :Smile_honoring:

• Bad 1

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,571 posts
6,630 battles

OK.  Now tell us what will you take from Hood to keep the balance?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,545 posts
9,060 battles
3 hours ago, Rat_Chaos said:

Ahoy, (yes its lame).

I asked way back when I bought HOOD "why no torpedoes?" The reply was along the lines that WG developers were not going to design sub surface torpedo tubes... :cap_money:

Now that submarines are being trialled for Halloween, I have to wonder again. If submarines are added to the game, will HOOD have her torpedo tubes added?  :fish_haloween:

Honestly, just a clarification would suffice. It does seem to me that the addition of  2 × 2 – 21-inch (above water/fixed mounts) torpedo tubes is something that the design team should now consider, along with the logistics of rolling the upgrade out across the game. 

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hood) for historical information   :fish_book:

(http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Hood) for game model information  :fish_boom:

Many thanks

Starboard 10... :Smile_honoring:

And what about all the other dreads and super dreads with submerged torpedo tubes?

• Cool 1

[ITA]
Players
422 posts
7,529 battles
1 hour ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

OK.  Now tell us what will you take from Hood to keep the balance?

Shes not that op at the moment to be honest.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,201 posts
13,912 battles

Ok lets give HMS Nelson Torps as well after all her sister ship Rodney is the  ONLY BB Ever did a successful torpedo attack. and as @Exocet6951 said what about all the other BB's and CA's in game that had such tubes.Maybe the tier 2 Emden should also get them as she was one of the only Cruisers in History to ever do a successful attack with such tubes..

simple fact is Navys of the world found out that  broadside launched below Deck level non directional launchers were Useless and stopped installing them on all classes of ship in the 20's and 30's and removed them from ships that had them. (with a few exceptions)

Interesting fact just about if not all successful attacks with such tubes were  done on stationery or near stationery ships.

7 hours ago, Amon_ITA said:

Shes not that op at the moment to be honest.

And torpedoes that she will have to close  to point blank range and turn broadside or almost broadside to launch will not help that at all...

• Cool 4

[HAERT]
Beta Tester
669 posts
4,623 battles

Sorry shipmate, but I have to agree with the general concensus. Letting more Skimmers loose with our torpedoes can only end in tears. :Smile_sad:

Whatever next, WRENS at sea? Abolition of the 'Tot'? :Smile_facepalm:

Madness, just madness. :fish_nerv:

Just let them worry about how to spend their subsistance when they hit their next port of call. What's that you say? "They don't get subsistance!!" :fish_boom:

Silly me, I forgot!!!!...    :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

Players
1,346 posts
6,106 battles

Ok so what would happen if they do put very short range (3 km) 2 x 2 torps on some of these Battleships then?

Would it change the balance of the force?

Regardless if its sailing broadside to do it, would it increase more brawling in the game? Or would it do the opposite? Lets keep an open mind about this lads.

:cap_yes:

• Cool 1

[FRDF]
Players
168 posts
2,809 battles
2 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

Ok so what would happen if they do put very short range (3 km) 2 x 2 torps on some of these Battleships then?

Regardless if its sailing broadside to do it, would it increase more brawling in the game? Or would it do the opposite? Lets keep an open mind about this lads.

Would result more third line torping and more lovely pink color in the team lineup :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

Players
1,346 posts
6,106 battles
4 minutes ago, Naesil said:

Would result more third line torping and more lovely pink color in the team lineup :Smile_teethhappy:

But seriously, would it change anything?

• Cool 1

[_MIA_]
Players
2,829 posts
5,298 battles
6 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

If it doesnt change anything , why have them in the firstplace?

Im against BBs having torps - would be better if we wouldnt have them in game. (maybe Scharnhorst being an exception because small caliber main battery)

• Bad 1

Players
68 posts

Thanks all. Quite interesting the difference of opinions on BB's with torpedo's and torpedo's in general. Torpedo's are a primary weapon on destroyers and effective secondary's on cruisers and battleships

Also, I wonder about the submarine (heavy weight) torpedo's is firstly range advantage.

Secondly, early submarines would have to come to periscope depth to launch, making them easier to find.

Thirdly, will existing surface combatants have the ability to deploy depth charges, most in game models have the equipment fitted already but it is simply aesthetic at the moment.

Lastly, Hydro... enhanced for submarine detection? Radar fitted to vessels that would have had basic sets. 

All raises some interesting issues that submarines bring to the game.

Midships, make revolutions for 28kts

• Bad 1

Players
68 posts
4 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

I doubt it would change much. Hoods torpedoes were ineffective as a weapon, but none the less, in game it would be a last ditch or purely a luck weapon

4 hours ago, Naesil said:

Player skills and choices in battle are poor at times (weekends). I still believe a way of making teamwork in random battles is required.

Arms race mode almost achieves this. Clans work in clan battles, I refuse to join a clan, so an advantage to teamwork has to be devised or a penalty for not working as a team. Captain XP, flags and other resources as intensive maybe. 

• Bad 1

Players
68 posts
2 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

Many capital ships were fitted with a torpedo armament, its just good historical accuracy. They are not always effective, but do increase a sense of aggression that is required in close combat 

• Bad 1

Beta Tester
1,808 posts
2,019 battles
3 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

Giving battleships at large access to torpedoes would make other ship classes - cruisers especially - a little bit less useful overall. Removing the distinctions between ship classes is not, I think, good for the game in the long run. We already have battleships with torpedoes and destroyers with radar. We even have one battleship with radar. What's next - battleships with smoke screens, perhaps?

I consider myself fairly open-minded, but I think it's of vital importance for the survival of this game to let the various ship classes retain their individuality. This is not to say that there should be no room for tinkering. On the contrary, we have some excellent premiums who have access to a huge bag of tricks without being unbalanced in the slightest (the Perth comes to mind here).

So while I grant you that there could possibly be room to tweak a few battleships here and there by giving them access to torpedoes, I would recommend that this would be done - if at all - with a very light hand indeed.

As for the Hood especially: Just plain NO. She does not in any way need torpedoes!

• Cool 1

[RO-RN]
Players
136 posts
4,310 battles

we dont need anything armed with torpedoes [edited]off! destroyers are enough and light cruisers!

• Boring 1

[RO-RN]
Players
136 posts
4,310 battles
Just now, Rat_Chaos said:

At least you have an open mind on the subject:Smile-_tongue:

oh yeah lets give every battleship torpedoes such a good idea! 

• Bad 2

Players
68 posts
6 hours ago, Kevbar said:

Sorry shipmate, but I have to agree with the general concensus. Letting more Skimmers loose with our torpedoes can only end in tears. :Smile_sad:

Whatever next, WRENS at sea? Abolition of the 'Tot'? :Smile_facepalm:

Madness, just madness. :fish_nerv:

Just let them worry about how to spend their subsistance when they hit their next port of call. What's that you say? "They don't get subsistance!!" :fish_boom:

Silly me, I forgot!!!!...    :Smile-_tongue:

I served on HMS Glamorgan  in the Falklands conflict and HMS Jupiter mid 1980's. No tot, no wrens, lots of great shore runs and banyans :Smile_medal:

3 hours ago, Animalul2012 said:

oh yeah lets give every battleship torpedoes such a good idea! 

It would not be all, the game is in part historically accurate to a point. Many capital ships like Battleships had torpedo armament 

3 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Giving battleships at large access to torpedoes would make other ship classes - cruisers especially - a little bit less useful overall. Removing the distinctions between ship classes is not, I think, good for the game in the long run. We already have battleships with torpedoes and destroyers with radar. We even have one battleship with radar. What's next - battleships with smoke screens, perhaps?

I consider myself fairly open-minded, but I think it's of vital importance for the survival of this game to let the various ship classes retain their individuality. This is not to say that there should be no room for tinkering. On the contrary, we have some excellent premiums who have access to a huge bag of tricks without being unbalanced in the slightest (the Perth comes to mind here).

So while I grant you that there could indeed be room to tweak a few battleships here and there by giving them access to torpedoes, I would recommend that this would be done - if at all - with a very light hand indeed.

Again not all battleships have torpedo's. When the game began, there was a desire for historical accuracy. Some battleships and battle cruisers had torpedo's (not very effective either in most cases)

6 hours ago, T0byJug said:

And torpedoes that she will have to close  to point blank range and turn broadside or almost broadside to launch will not help that at all...

It would be a last ditch weapon. Akin to ramming in a way

• Bad 1

[RO-RN]
Players
136 posts
4,310 battles

historically accurate? then battleships should get the real trash dispersion they had in real life,  destroyers should get limited torpedeos one set and that it, he shells destroying a yamato from a 127 mm gun that is so historically accurate, oh and then we should make carriers how they were in real life when they transformed every surface ship into dust.

• Bad 1

[_MIA_]
Players
2,829 posts
5,298 battles
Just now, Rat_Chaos said:

It would not be all, the game is in part historically accurate to a point. Many capital ships like Battleships had torpedo armament 

Doesnt make for a good game balancing tho.

If you give them torps, next guy will come here "But torps were longer range than *insert short range* km - needs more range, because its HISTORICALLY ACCURATE!"

ppl really need to get a grip on that historical arguement - because its only cherry picking.

Beta Tester
1,808 posts
2,019 battles
7 minutes ago, Rat_Chaos said:

Again not all battleships have torpedo's. When the game began, there was a desire for historical accuracy. Some battleships and battle cruisers had torpedo's (not very effective either in most cases)

In an arcade PvP game such as WoWs, game balance must always trump historical accuracy, while the latter is reflected mostly in the visual representation of the ships. And as far as I know, this has been the case from the start...?

• Cool 2

[BOTS]
Alpha Tester
2,183 posts
8,627 battles
1 hour ago, Animalul2012 said:

NO just NO ! 

A compelling argument

[AS13]
Players
1,085 posts
1,511 battles

I have Hood, would be LOL agains Gneisenau or something that gets close.

Give them 2km range and 5 minute reload, and no aiming. 

Yes Hood had torpedo tubes, but they were never used.

Most they would have been WW1 torpedos... slow and often not working as intended. 

The Hood we have is the WW2 version and by then the tubes were removed. 

• Cool 2

Players
1,458 posts
5,699 battles
9 hours ago, Rat_Chaos said:

will HOOD have her torpedo tubes added?

giphy.gif

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1