Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
That_Other_Nid

IFHE on Gearing YY gunboat builds.

12 comments in this topic

Players
389 posts
5,746 battles

I asked for advice recently about my Yueyang and got many suggestions for gunboat builds. In the end I went with the same setup as the Chang Mu and run it as a torpedo boat with a 104 second reload. Basically I find myself shooting at a lot of US light cruisers. Now I am doing decent damage but I'm not going to sink any of the quickly with superstructure damage. 

I'm trying to decide if I'm just playing badly and should avoid the US CLs - because it's obviously quite painful - or if a gunboat build is viable for dealing with them. I know the IJN gunboats don't fear them much because of their absurd DPS and HE pen, and I'm just wondering is that also possible with the lower pen of the 127 mm IFHE.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,251 posts
7,317 battles

Stick with torpedobuild. It is just better. I do not recommend IFHE for DD in T10.

What I used in clan battles and use in randoms is top torpedoes with torpedo acceleration, which makes torps very fast and gives good hitrate, while still having 13.2km range.

• Cool 4

[HAERT]
Players
2,000 posts

I tried IFHE builds on Gearing and Yuey and found it patchy at best, if forced to gunfight a light cruiser it's a pretty terminal experience. The only serious option is AP, which can be effective depending on angling.

Personally I play both of those DD's as torpedo boats with decent guns as a fallback or for DD knifefights, they simply can't stand up to fire for any length of time.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles
2 hours ago, That_Other_Nid said:

I asked for advice recently about my Yueyang and got many suggestions for gunboat builds. In the end I went with the same setup as the Chang Mu and run it as a torpedo boat with a 104 second reload. Basically I find myself shooting at a lot of US light cruisers. Now I am doing decent damage but I'm not going to sink any of the quickly with superstructure damage. 

I'm trying to decide if I'm just playing badly and should avoid the US CLs - because it's obviously quite painful - or if a gunboat build is viable for dealing with them. I know the IJN gunboats don't fear them much because of their absurd DPS and HE pen, and I'm just wondering is that also possible with the lower pen of the 127 mm IFHE.

It's false that IJN gunboats don't fear US CLs. IJN gunboats can bite back but that's just a way to go down swinging. Worcester still has significantly more DPM, much more survivability, heal and Radar. Kitakaze and Harugumo have LOTS of reasons to fear an opponent like this.

As for IFHE... the special thing about IJN DDs is that they effectively have the base HE pen of 150mm guns. This gives them the HE pen seen normally on light cruisers and lets them cross important armor thresholds with IFHE. Gearing and YY don't have such advantage, making IFHE much less valuable.

• Cool 1

Players
389 posts
5,746 battles
6 minutes ago, eliastion said:

It's false that IJN gunboats don't fear US CLs. IJN gunboats can bite back but that's just a way to go down swinging. Worcester still has significantly more DPM, much more survivability, heal and Radar. Kitakaze and Harugumo have LOTS of reasons to fear an opponent like this.

As for IFHE... the special thing about IJN DDs is that they effectively have the base HE pen of 150mm guns. This gives them the HE pen seen normally on light cruisers and lets them cross important armor thresholds with IFHE. Gearing and YY don't have such advantage, making IFHE much less valuable.

Yeah, but if the Wooster has a blond moment it can hurt bad. I sank one with over 40k damage for a cost of 12 k at about 6 km range in a Harugumo. I really don;t think shooting up CL:s is in the Yueyangs job description, but I've had a bunch of people I should try a gunboat build with IFHE and I don't see how it could work. I'm really just wondering what the targets of these IFHE gunboats are supposed to be.

[HAERT]
Players
2,000 posts
16 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

Yeah, but if the Wooster has a blond moment it can hurt bad. I sank one with over 40k damage for a cost of 12 k at about 6 km range in a Harugumo. I really don;t think shooting up CL:s is in the Yueyangs job description, but I've had a bunch of people I should try a gunboat build with IFHE and I don't see how it could work. I'm really just wondering what the targets of these IFHE gunboats are supposed to be.

DD's primarily, with a side order of anything else you can shoot enough to make a mark. The only DD's I use IFHE on are Harugumo and her 2 little sisters, no other boat seems to make it pay off, ignoring cruisers of course.

Players
389 posts
5,746 battles
2 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

DD's primarily, with a side order of anything else you can shoot enough to make a mark. The only DD's I use IFHE on are Harugumo and her 2 little sisters, no other boat seems to make it pay off, ignoring cruisers of course.

I used it on T7 DDs because of all the carnage to US and UK BBs, but that is really just Leningrad now. My old 19 point GM captain is respecced in Yueyang and the new 12 pointer in GM doesn't have it yet. 

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,277 posts
4,987 battles

IFHE on DD's in general is a waste. Those 4 points are often better spent elsewhere, and if you really want better gunpower BFT, DE and in some cases AFT provide more useful bonuses overall.

Beta Tester
2,020 posts
8,134 battles
9 hours ago, That_Other_Nid said:

You should always avoid them when they are in good health and have their radar up - even in Harugumo.

And no, IFHE is not worth it on any DD that doesn't use IJN 100mm.

The trick in Random battles is to bait their radar at maximum range and then just kite out of it, to come back when it is on cooldown.

• Cool 1

[QUCA]
Weekend Tester
896 posts
3,795 battles

Generally guns have caliber/6 HE penetration. In case of Gearing/YY means they have 127/6=21.16 - 21mm of pen.

This means they pen all DD platings (19), but unable to pen cruiser (25-27mm) or BB (32mm) plating.

IFHE multiplies this pen by 1.3, so it gives you 21*1.3=27.3 mm of pen. This means that you will be able to penetrate cruiser bow/stern armor, but still unable to pen BB platings.

The decision is on you, if you want to deal direct HE damage to cruisers then IFHE will enable you to do so.

My personal opinion is that you can spend 4 points much better (for example survivalibity expert or ESP hack), and if you want to do direct damage to cruisers switch to AP and put some holes in their superstructures.

All said, if you ever see a DD with 147 mm guns, IFHE will enable you to deal direct damage to BBs as well, so it would worth it.

[UNICS]
Players
2,776 posts
11,488 battles

I'm running IFHE on both. It's working great, but if you want to listen to the math nerds, go ahead :cap_cool:

Beta Tester
2,020 posts
8,134 battles
14 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I'm running IFHE on both. It's working great, but if you want to listen to the math nerds, go ahead :cap_cool:

Question is not if it works, but if your 4P are better spent on something else.

If you have IFHE, your build must be missing important skills, that would probably provide an even bigger advantage.

Maybe you would do even better with skills like RPF, SE, TAE, BFT, that might be missing now.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this