Sign in to follow this  
allnan

Connection between Battery turn time and Rudder shift time

8 comments in this topic

Players
12 posts
2,686 battles

So I bought Ibuki, because I liked the idea of having 19% fire chance (and later 21% in Zao) compared to the 16% of my USN crusers.

Since Ibuki has the worst reload time of all T9 ships, and has a decent range, I decided to buy the Main Battery Modification 3 (reload time -12%, +13% battery traverse speed), I thought oh, that 34,5 sec battery turn time can't be that bad (haven't got the Expert Marksman as well).

Well, yes it is. Since the ship has 5,8 sec rudder shift time, and 34,5 sec battery turn time (=5,22 degree/sec), the batteries can't keep up with the ship turning. Since in a cruser you are dodging all the time, I always have to stop for a while, wait the batteries, fire, continue turning. This bugs the hell out of me.

For example with Mogami its batteries can keep up just fine, with 5,7 sec rudder shift time and 27,9 sec battery turn time (=6,45 degree/sec). So I thought maybe there is a connection that with 6 sec rudder shift time and 30 sec battery turn time (=6 degree/sec) the batteries can exactly keep up with the ship turning, but I can't exactly do the math if I am right or not. X sec rudder shift time is equal to how much ship turning degree/sec?

This would be kinda important for me, since I won't even go after Zao, if with it's 36 sec (or 31,58 with Expert Marksman) battery turn time, the batteries won't be able to keep up with the ship turning. Maybe it could be fixed with Main Battery Modification 2 (reload time +5%, -15% battery traverse speed), but how do the modifiers stack? First the additive (EM), then the multiplicative (MBM2), or the other way around?

[CATS]
Players
13,636 posts
10,385 battles

Rudder shift is not the problem.

It is the speed of the turn. 

You could have a rudder shift of 1s and stll have the problem.

Get your turret traverse up or learn to live with it 

[C1DFL]
[C1DFL]
Beta Tester
1,866 posts
8,717 battles
Vor 53 Minuten, allnan sagte:

X sec rudder shift time is equal to how much ship turning degree/sec?

No :Smile_glasses:

The rudder shift time indicates just the time for the rudder to move from the amidships position to hard to port/starboard, i.e. how fast the course change itself is initiated.

Rate of turn (degree/second) is related to the turning radius of the ship in connection with the speed during the turn.

AFAIK the RoT value isn´t shown anywhere.

Players
12 posts
2,686 battles
7 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Rudder shift is not the problem.

It is the speed of the turn. 

You could have a rudder shift of 1s and stll have the problem.

Get your turret traverse up or learn to live with it 

Ah, ok.

Anyway, I kinda abandoned the idea of getting to the Zao, Ibuki is truly a horrible ship. I won't suffer an another 200k xp for the Zao, which isn't outdated as well?

Compared to the other T10-s it seems kinda bad. Okay, it finally has 12 turrets, but 13,7 sec (for me 14,385 sec with MBM2) reload time is again really slow. Japans haven't even got a new improved admiral.

Next I think I'll see if Buffalo is as bad as the legends say. :D

About Des Moines, I have read a lot of times that it has a high shell arc. Is it just the fact that other nations have faster shells than USN, or Des Moines has a different shell arc from the rest of the USN Heavy Cruser line as well? (I am currently at Baltimore)

Players
12 posts
2,686 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Ibuki is an Ok ship.

Zao is really great.

Take a look at her guns.

Currently I really dislike Ibuki. Has huge loading time, dies way too easily. In order to deal your below average damage, you need to be full boardside, or like half your guns won't shoot. Then you die, since due to the abysmal turning radius even with 5,8 rudder shift time you can't dodge normally. Has no radar, but has torpedoes. Torpedoes on cruisers (especially with this awkward angle) are useless 99% of the time.

Usually I am doing way better with Baltimore in T10 battles than Ibuki (it is maxed out already, except the torpedoes, but as I said they are useless anyway).

About Zao, okay its shells are dealing a little extra damage, but well some other T10 cruisers are having like 3x shorter reload times. And again no radar.

[OCTO]
Players
75 posts
5,914 battles

Out of all my TX cruisers I like Zao the most. I run it with legendary module and spotter plane in case I need some more range and I don't have the issue with keeping my guns on target.

[BGNAV]
Players
107 posts
4,919 battles
On 10/10/2018 at 2:15 AM, allnan said:

Currently I really dislike Ibuki.

Well, I didn't like the ship as well, hence I spent all the free XP I had saved at the time to skip her. I regret nothing. With Ibuki, I had good overall stats but horrible win rate. I just felt useless most of the time - I was burning BBs and chipping away at anything else. This gameplay style has two major drawbacks:

1. You cannot draw fire to yourself, hence your team needs to take the hits;

2. Burning down a BB takes like forever and during that time, he will be hammering down your teammates.

Also (please correct me if I'm wrong) it seems that the rewards for damage are based on %HP you've taken off a ship at the end of the battle. If you do 60K in fire damage to an enemy with 100K HP, you get 60% of the max XP/credits reward that you can get for damaging this ship. If he heals 30K before the end of the match, you get 30%. This is based on my observations with RN BBs and CA/CL gameplay. Also it explains why hitting DDs is always very rewarding in the end - small hits take good chunks of their HP and most of them do not have heals.

Zao however is very, very strong. Troll armor (can troll both ways though), 12 very accurate guns with good arcs and shell speed, brutal HE, great AP, ridiculous fire chance, 12km torpedoes (can torp from stealth!), decent mobility and great concealment. I really struggle to find weak points for this ship. Yes, the reload is... meh, but the damage output is still quite high. AA is poor, but there are not that many CVs anyway. Torp angles are bad, but then you mostly need them while kiting, ambushing or torping from stealth, so not a big deal.

Zao has similar gameplay to Ibuki most of the time, but the ship is many times better at it and does have influence in games. Hitting DDs is easy, HE damage and fires do loads of damage and if it all goes to sh!t (i.e. your DDs die), you can play a torpedo boat/capture point role.

Sign in to follow this