You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ocsimano18

What premium BB to buy with doubloons

49 comments in this topic

Players
11 posts
1,753 battles

I have about 15000 doubloons to spend for a new premium BB. I already have the Tirpitz, that I enjoy the most of my battleships. I grinded the Japanese line up to tier 7 (Nagato), but I found the ship extremly boring. (I also grinded American/French line till tier 5 and German till tier 6) I like the action oriented close range style of the Tirpitz, when I ocassionaly can finish off targets with torps. My question comes down to which of the following ship shall I buy? My goal is not being competitve, but to have fun.

1. Scharnhost

PRO: Similar close range style with torps.

CON: Does it have an added fun value after having Tirpitz?

2. Gascogne

PRO: Might be different that the Tirpitz, but still fun

CON Lot of negative reiews about it:

3. Alabama

PRO: Best reviews for Tier8 BB

CON: I don't know if I would have nearly as much fun as in the Tirpitz

4. Anything else.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

[DIKI]
Players
802 posts
295 battles
6 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I have about 15000 doubloons to spend for a new premium BB. I already have the Tirpitz, that I enjoy the most of my battleships. I grinded the Japanese line up to tier 7 (Nagato), but I found the ship extremly boring. (I also grinded American/French line till tier 5 and German till tier 6) I like the action oriented close range style of the Tirpitz, when I ocassionaly can finish off targets with torps. My question comes down to which of the following ship shall I buy? My goal is not being competitve, but to have fun.

1. Scharnhost

2. Gascogne

3. Alabama

4. Anything else.

Best here is Alabama.

Most fun for me - Gascone.

but but....you must say what class do you like

[ASEET]
Players
191 posts
6,533 battles

Of the 3 ships you mention I only have the Scharnhorst, it has an additional pro. Being T7 it quite often gets to be top tier, definitely more often than my Bismarck witch gets often pulled in to t10 games.

The rest of my bought premiums I have selected with nation in mind, makes that captain retraining for a new ship a lot easier.

I think the best way to decide would be to go on the test server and try the ships there.

Players
390 posts
8,551 battles
12 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

1. Scharnhost

2. Gascogne

3. Alabama

4. Anything else.

4. Anything else.

THAT! Buy anything else than a BB.

• Funny 4

Players
784 posts
6,859 battles

You say your intention is to have fun, which makes it a difficult question to answer -- it's so subjective.

I do love Scharnhorst. Almost everyone it seems loves Scharnhorst. Nice secondaries, useful torps, good mobility, good tankiness, good AA, it's just a pleasure to play. I don't have the Tirpitz, but I find Scharnhost quite different from the Bismarck -- considerably smaller ship, smaller gun caliber, and also with tier 7 MM very different opposition.

I like the French BB's in general but I'm not sure where the Gascogne falls. The French have this very enjoyable combination of speed and brawliness.

Alabama I don't have but I have 300+ games in the near-equivalent North Carolina. It's an old-school BB. Angle well, shoot straight.

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,079 posts
3,758 battles

Scharnhorst and Alabama are excellent choices.

[NED]
Players
1,568 posts
5,789 battles

Kii is a well rounded BB in my opinion good guns and great AA.

For fun a Massachusetts with full secondary build is very hard to beat.

• Cool 2

[ICI]
[ICI]
Beta Tester
172 posts
1,579 battles

Personally I wouldn't buy a premium BB especially since you mentioned you already own a Tirpitz. 

Why don't you buy a cruiser instead? :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
13 minutes ago, Exohoritis said:

4. Anything else.

THAT! Buy anything else than a BB.

Asashio? Please no.

Honestly, I'd say, buy a couple lower tier premiums. Dunno what's in the store currently, but I bet there are fun ships. I would also recommend not a BB, but would say, save the doubloons and try out different tech tree lines to see what kinda ship you want to go for. De Grasse for example is likely far less fun if you hated La Galissoniere. 

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,796 battles

Warspite - very nice guns, good for torpedo beats, decent secondaries, good all rounder. T6 of course, but shouldn't be an issue.

(Although not sure if available for doubloons)

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
5 minutes ago, philjd said:

Warspite - very nice guns, good for torpedo beats, decent secondaries, good all rounder. T6 of course, but shouldn't be an issue.

(Although not sure if available for doubloons)

Get it from the event.

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,796 battles
Just now, Riselotte said:

Get it from the event.

That as well :)

[BEER]
Players
30 posts
14,466 battles

Had some cracking games in the ALABAMA and schanhorst  so those would be my choice 

Players
380 posts
6,953 battles

A lot of how fun any, especially high tier BB is to play has to do with how well you or your team can counter those HE spamming smoked up island hugging flame thrower cruisers and DD's... my two cents worth. Also it depends which game play style suits you better. Some BB's are better suited for medium to long range engagements (accurate guns) some for brawling. From what I can gather from the forums, people are saying the current meta is not favorable to brawling BB's.

[W-C]
Players
311 posts
1,475 battles
1 minute ago, Browarszky said:

A lot of how fun any, especially high tier BB is to play has to do with how well you or your team can counter those HE spamming smoked up island hugging flame thrower cruisers and DD's... my two cents worth. Also it depends which game play style suits you better. Some BB's are better suited for medium to long range engagements (accurate guns) some for brawling. From what I can gather from the forums, people are saying the current meta is not favourable to brawling BB's

Noob question: I had thought the best remedy to those island-hugging smoke-camping HE-spammers are these supposedly 'anti-meta' brawling BB's - charge the island/smoke and force them out. From your comments it sounds like I may be wrong... so what would you say is the best method for flushing them out?

Players
380 posts
6,953 battles
1 minute ago, Rusty_9 said:

Noob question: I had thought the best remedy to those island-hugging smoke-camping HE-spammers are these supposedly 'anti-meta' brawling BB's - charge the island/smoke and force them out. From your comments it sounds like I may be wrong... so what would you say is the best method for flushing them out?

Noob reply: Damned if I know.. if anyone actually has a good suggestion I am all ears myself.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,260 posts
7,943 battles

Massachusetts (someday she'll be available for db) - she's secondary focused like the Tirpitz but stays at mid range (you were asking for something slightly different) - can still close in and tank dmg thx to her tool set. Downside: You'll need a specialized cpt just for her.

Otherwise Scharnhorst - better MM than Tirpitz and has to be played differently due to her guns. Also, her bow is only 25 mm, so you have to actually angle her.

[WTFNO]
Players
147 posts
3,788 battles
5 minutes ago, bushwacker001 said:

Close thread...OP bought a Scharnhorst probably before he wrote this thread (4 battles already plus a coop).:Smile_sceptic:

Well, that leaves him some doubloons for later, and others might be interested by the thread ;-)

Scharn is probably a good choice too, not too high tier, smaller guns with faster reload give a different gameplay.

Players
11 posts
1,753 battles

I don't have the Scharnhorst yet. I have 4 battles with it because of a promo rent by Wargaming. I really used the rent time to test the Tirpitz that qad rented paralelly, so I don't really kmow the Schnarhorst.

Another option I'm thinling of is investing the doubloons into free xp and getting a tier9 premium.

Players
2,266 posts
3 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I don't have the Scharnhorst yet. I have 4 battles with it because of a promo rent by Wargaming. I really used the rent time to test the Tirpitz that qad rented paralelly, so I don't really kmow the Schnarhorst.

Another option I'm thinling of is investing the doubloons into free xp and getting a tier9 premium.

Ah OK....apologies :Smile_smile: Although that may be a step too far. (T9)

Players
1,419 posts
10,052 battles
1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

1. Scharnhost

2. Gascogne

3. Alabama

4. Anything else.

Gulio Ceasare?

Roma?

Or anything but another BB?:Smile_hiding:

[DEXIL]
Players
61 posts
2,937 battles

Can anyone tell me if Alabama differs much from NC? Im grinding credits so I can buy NC. I was tempted to buy Alabama but they seem so similar. AA build with NC would still be near Alabamas right?

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
31 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

29 minutes ago, Browarszky said:

Noob reply: Damned if I know.. if anyone actually has a good suggestion I am all ears myself.

Kind of. You can do that, especially at T7 or lower. FdG can't, because the ship is too crap, GK is just so large, you'd get focused down. If the enemy is not surrounded by a ton of allies, GK forces them out easily. Like, yesterday, it wasn't the Salem I citpenned through the bow or the Kitakaze cowering behind the island that got me killed in Kurfürst. It was a bunch of T10 BBs backing them up. Kitakaze in the end couldn't even spam me, because if it popped out, my secondaries spam back.

But at T7? If your torp beat game is up to it, Helena or Atlanta is a joke to Gneisenau. You might catch fire, but if they lack proper bakup, it's easy to catch up and kill them. Helena easily can do 4-8k per salvo to a soft-skinned BB, on Germans that decreases sharply and I had salvos for as little as ~700 damage hit my ship. When playing Helena, if you get rushed by a German BB, you either try to run for it, shoot HE at upper bow in hope of some damage or load AP.

• Cool 1

Players
1,369 posts
6,120 battles
17 minutes ago, Fatal_Ramses said:

Can anyone tell me if Alabama differs much from NC? Im grinding credits so I can buy NC. I was tempted to buy Alabama but they seem so similar. AA build with NC would still be near Alabamas right?

This is a funny thing because i didn't like the NC much...But loved the Alabama :Smile_amazed:, as in it was my favorite BB until recently.

I would highly recommend the Alabama.  However, IMHO the Massachusetts is better and is my go-to tier 8 BB.  It's just fun to play and still competitive in randoms, always smile when playing it.

Without writing an essay, the Alabama is more of a front line ship, turns on a penny, great torp belt, fantastic concealment and has great AA.  This is my AA spec BB and go-to when I div with CV clan mates.  It also smaller so gets hit less than it's NC counterpart and seems to contract less fires (due to the close middle superstructure).  

However....The accuracy is worse.  So bare that in mind.

But the torp belt, turning circle, concealment and general tanky enables you to get into position and fire at an unexpected cruiser which hasn't even seen you yet :cap_rambo:

Some ships in the MM you wouldn't want to be in when you get up tiered.  The Alabama can handle it's self better than most IMHO due to it's heavy hitting shells and god like concealment.

But i still like the Massa better :Smile_hiding:However, you need a dedicated captain for her like someone else has already alluded you too.  All 3 ships are playable.

• Cool 1