You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Warderer

Gearing players please gib tips

23 comments in this topic

[HULK]
Beta Tester
45 posts
1,518 battles

Hello everone! I hope that you are all fine and pwning ships.

So 2 days ago I bought the Gearing and honestly I have no idea how to play her. I love the Fletcher. Its my favourite ship in the game and I really got used to her playstyle. Thats why probably sailing with the Gearing feels awkward, slow and well not that fun atm.

So. Gearing players please give me some tips in how to be effective with the Gearing. I'm trying to build her as a torpedo boat. Can it work? :D

Thanks ^-^

[CATS]
Players
13,685 posts
10,389 battles

Sure.

You can use the same torps as Fletcher now.

Gearing is indeed more sluggish, but has much better guns for close defense vs other DD.

Just be a bit more careful than you would be in Fletcher and you are fine.

• Cool 4

[TENGO]
Players
1,482 posts
8,246 battles

Most important I'd say is don't go to overagressive. If you're the (one of the) only target(s), BBs will shoot you, and those AP shells bloody hurt in gearing.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
558 posts
10,584 battles

I use mine as a full torpedo boat and I'm quite happy with the build. I do tend to play the ship in divisions though, as I rarely use the smoke for myself and rely on smoking teammates who in turn provide support when pushing caps. Otherwise the same basic DD rules apply. Try to anticipate radars, don't pick up fair fights and always have an exit strategy. The last is particularly important as you are slow (I personally prefer running defensive AA) 

• Cool 4

Players
689 posts
7,951 battles

Until you get used to Gearing play with caution. Go for a cap but don't contest without support.. I find that 13.2km 71 knot torpedoes are good but can be easily avoided beyond 8km against ships that have hydro. Check your opponents before you start, you should know a IJN Shima, Yugumo and Kagero will have better concealment and Kagero or Yugumo could have TRB,  you can meet any one of these, but; you have better guns with a faster reload if you go 1v1... If radar pinged by a single cruiser you can usually attack head on and you can usually get close to torpedo without too much damage... If the enemy is spotted by another ship you can smoke and do damage from your guns 4 or 6 and run before they reach 6km if they come at you... Don't worry about retreating, you can always come back later. CE is essential, don't leave port without it... Don't go 1v1 with Haragumo, Kitikaze or Khaba..you will lose unless you can hit with torpedoes. Gearing is a strong DD to play if you use the strengths to its advantage. Ap in my opinion is rubbish against other DD's so I always equip HE.

• Cool 3

[HULK]
Beta Tester
45 posts
1,518 battles

Thank you everyone for the wonderfull tips, I will definately have them in mind!

This is why I love this community (most of the times :D)

• Cool 3

Players
1,423 posts
10,102 battles

Contratulations on your first TX.:Smile_medal:

With all the newer dds, it has gotten a bit long in the tooth, but it is still one of my favorite DDs (YueYang being my new favorite).

Gearing is all about the gun layout and staying safe while using it.

Having more guns means using them to kill DDs. 

Also it can now mount fletcher torpedoes, so you you can keep playing the torpedo side of things the way you are used to.

The downsides:

It is fatter, takes more damage, and it turns worse (turning circle) so getting detected is more dangerous, but in a 1v1 it carries more firepower and easily rips apart Fletchers.

You need to be on top of  defensive plays and prioritize defence over offence.

I'm assuming you know most of the simple stuff.

- checking enemy line up for threats.

- never enter a cap before all radar ships are accounted for.

- try to stay in open water so you dont get surprise radared.

- always keep islands between your ship and enemy support if on the prowl for an enemy dd.

When you get spotted by a dd/ engage in a gunfight with a dd, slow and turn away, and if you are down support, consider smoke. Otherwise, keep shooting and hold the smoke untill you want to disengage. 

Most BBs with miss you and torps may be dropped ahead of you. 

If needed, after hitting 25-50% speed you can turn away and pop smoke and will go undetected.

Always assume radars and torps will be coming, so spend as little time in the smoke as possible while shooting up the enemy dd. 

In Gearing you dont need to sit broadside on to use all guns, so sit at an angle (or even bow in). It helps with dodging torpedoes.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,708 posts
13,166 battles

I recommend replacing speedboost with DFAA. Not only does it allow you to foil CV strikes temporarily to retreat to your allies or potentially save one, you can also remove annoying catapult planes rather quickly with it.

• Cool 6

Players
404 posts
5,849 battles
49 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

I recommend replacing speedboost with DFAA. Not only does it allow you to foil CV strikes temporarily to retreat to your allies or potentially save one, you can also remove annoying catapult planes rather quickly with it.

Yup, it would be a major dilema for me. I have Yueyang instead though so I have the AA module in the 3rd slot. Basically I''ve not had my T10 long either so I'm playing it as a T9 with 4 guns on the bow. All the torpedo reload modules/skills for 104 seconds with the longer ranged torps, with the Gearing's base torps that is 81.1 seconds.. I still get 2.7 seconds on the guns which is enough for aimed salvoes at just about anything but an IJN gunboat or another YY/Gearing. 

[GNG]
Players
71 posts
9,757 battles
10 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Sure.

You can use the same torps as Fletcher now.

Gearing is indeed more sluggish, but has much better guns for close defense vs other DD.

Just be a bit more careful than you would be in Fletcher and you are fine.

Dont 1v1 with Kitakaze/Harugumo. Try to bait their smoke and torp.

Players
940 posts
5,001 battles

Use the 16km torps, if you want to play with Fletcher torps just use the Fletcher instead  I have 19 point captains on both ships because they play differently and they are both great.

Gearing really needs AR, TAE and torp reload module to get the reload down to acceptable levels. But the torps are stealthy, powerful and the range really gets you a lot fo extra hits. Farming damage should be easy with these torps. You can supplement the damage with the really good guns. The smoke is excellent for your friendly cruisers and I can't stress enough that Gearing needs to work together wit the team. This boat is ill equipped to go for cap fights alone. This doesn't mean it can't 1v1 other destroyers, it just means that it's vulnerable to concentrated fire, AP pens from other DD's and torpedoes. Only take 1v1 engagements on your terms and never if you're unsure of what you'll find. This is the one important rule.

• Cool 2

[SWTP]
Players
281 posts
5,692 battles

It took me over 50 games to adjust, but finally, it was worth the effort with much better results than in Fletcher overall.  It turns like a pig in comparison, eats a lot Bb AP pens and tends to drift in turn making dodging torps different/harder than in Fletcher, but it has more dakka and 4 of 6 guns can be fired bow on making you a smaller target and harder to hit when wiggling in charge. IJn torp boats stand no chance. IJN dakka line will gun you down, so wait for them to smoke and torp. Panasian DDs also can be rushed in smoke with torps if left without support. Play as you would with Fletcher just a bit more cautiously. Gearing with more than half HP becomes a beast in later stages of games. RPF skill is very useful, it lets you hunt enemy DDs and to avoid nasty radar surprises. 10.5 km torps will let you hunt everything else. Offer your smoke friendly CA/CLs and spot for them, this wins the battles, they have much bigger firepower than you. Play safe till you will get comfortable with it's handling. I recommend premium camo for nice moneymaking but wait with purchase till you know for sure that you like the ship. And what impact on it will have Daring.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,155 posts
1,373 battles

As others have said, torp acceleration on it's top torps and torp reload.  You then have 72 knot torps with about 13km range that have low detection and fire 10 of them. I try not fire mine from more than about 10km away though, 8-9km if possible. 

I generally play it like a torp boat and it's concealment generally means that you get to pick your fights against most stuff as you out spot them, aside Shimas which you can dakka dakka at close range.

Tier 10 DD player IMO is hard in the current meta, lots of radar screening lots of campers who tend to run away at first sign of the enemy.

Looking at the current stats, the Daring is going to make the life of the Gearing a lot harder. 

• Cool 4

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles

I guess you could go for torp build and avoid more gun engagements, but if you mostly play in Randoms and want something different than Fletcher, I'd go full gun build and actively hunt enemy dds. You still need to choose your engagements, but you're in a good position to bully most other dds in pure gunfights if you do.

• Cool 2

Players
689 posts
7,951 battles

This is what I achieved in my Gearing today.... I took out the enemies 3 DD's in 60 seconds...

Screenshot (351).png

Screenshot (353).png

• Cool 2

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
224 posts
12,222 battles

Congrats! In era of many radars (incl. invisible Woosters) and Kitakaze-Harugumo HE spammers Gearing became my most loved T10 destroyer (after 1600 battles with beloved Fletcher, which has unfortunatelly short torps now...).  It's strong hybrid ship, I'm using her successfuly with torpedo build & RPF, able to selfdefense thanks to great guns. Originally almost hated ship, with WR 46%, is more and more used by me in Ranked, Random and Arm Race battles now...

Bez názvu-1.jpg

• Cool 3

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles

How is the legendary upgrade?

If you want to play torp boat build, is it viable to lose gun power for better concealment? Don't know if I should try to grind that upgrade or not. 

• Cool 1

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
224 posts
12,222 battles
On 9. 10. 2018 at 5:26 PM, elblancogringo said:

If you want to play torp boat build, is it viable to lose gun power for better concealment? Don't know if I should try to grind that upgrade or not. 

I tried it, but lower torpedo and gun reload is very high price for better concealment. So, I removed it :)

• Cool 2

Players
689 posts
7,951 battles
8 minutes ago, Max_Kammerer said:

It tried it, but lower torpedo and gun reload is verz high price for better concealment. So, I removed it >]

Slightly off topic the Shima one is also rubbish.

I am in the last phase of my Gearing (40,000 bxp)..what does the concealment go down to and what is the reload speed of guns?

[HULK]
Beta Tester
45 posts
1,518 battles

shot-18_10.09_17_14.49-0445.thumb.jpg.93b0dc4a4e55c415098ca6c9c9d1b0af.jpg

Slowly getting there :D. I don't have any of the upgrades yet and my captain is retraining so I expect the ship will get even better.

• Cool 3

Players
404 posts
5,849 battles
8 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

All the random consumables are worth it, and it's not really a grind so much as just playing the ship. And all the legendaries I've looked at so far have been rubbish.

• Cool 2