Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_H_Nelson

Main Battery Reload Booster - What's the verdict?

21 comments in this topic

Players
2,675 posts
12,104 battles

What do people think of the Main Battery Reload Booster consumable?

Like it/dislike it? Improves the ships/makes it worse?

I get the feeling that it is a matter of taste, rather than being something that is "right" or "wrong".

Personally I prefer consistently faster reload rather than short bursts of rapid fire, and I am not comfortable that the mechanic behind it involves a consumable.

(I was at St.Louis but I've mothballed the cruiser grind now, and mover over to French Battleships instead)

What do forumites think?  Maybe you can make me change my mind. (I'm often wrong, sadly.)

[CATS]
Players
13,610 posts
10,385 battles

Gimmick.

Bad, when the Gimmick is "bought" with a general reload reduction.

• Cool 4

[UNICS]
Players
2,783 posts
11,545 battles

It's on the gimmicky side, but it's not that bad. Can be useful/fun on occasion, but I think WG is pushing it with this type of consumable. Could be better, but it doesn't break anything. ...so verdict: meh.

• Cool 2

Players
749 posts
6,653 battles

I have it on Algerie, it's near-pointless; it means one extra salvo, three times a game, assuming I remember it's there.  The Consumable isn't a bad idea but it's a balancing mechanism for ships which need a tactical boost, not a "flavour" of a specific line. I would, for example, love to see it on a Huang He or Arethusa - being able to pump out another four/five salvos of potent AP would be a great addition. 

• Cool 2

[NED]
Players
4,022 posts
10,888 battles

Mwahhh not bad... Not bad at all. Adds a little spice to the gameplay. But I'm not going out of my mind about it either.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,617 posts
9,127 battles

It is exactly as I envisioned it to be back then:

.....and it has been a Búllshit-Idea to begin with.

Disclaimer: I only play the T6 in ops, T7 ........ ceased after finishing the grind (and I tend to play Shores for a T7 cruiser), but I did play the T8 CM extensively and I am now grinding the St. Luis on T9, so here is my verdict: 

"Great, now I pay 25k for a gimmick that may or may not be even usable (popping, oh noes need to dodge/ship get unspotted/whatever) but 100 % of the time I am driving a nerfed ship. I mean seriously whats to not love about that? /s Thats WG logic in its purest form: Uninteresting line (for most) -> nerf it and make the plebs pay more, thats WGs "cruiser balancing" in its purest forms. "

If this [edited] was at least optional, if you could slot a C-hull or whatever (and that hull would cost reload + grant the gimmick), then sure, go ahead and be my guest. I would tell WG where to stuff it and never use it, easy. But with everything WG, escaping their BS can never be that easy.

The T10: Well thats battleship style: Its a pure bonus without drawbacks, so ofc you take it because another second reduced reload has never been on the table to begin with.

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,595 battles

Very useful, when hunting DD - Or in any other sudden panic situation. Of course, provided you actually remember to activate it, that is. Somewhat less impressive, if not active.:Smile_Default:

Players
163 posts
3,518 battles

After they added the booster I found my numbers with Charles Martel improved a lot. CM is suited to ambushing things now, whereas before it was a sort of crap kiter/crap ambusher/meh island camper.

Players
3,267 posts
6,860 battles
9 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

After they added the booster I found my numbers with Charles Martel improved a lot. CM is suited to ambushing things now, whereas before it was a sort of crap kiter/crap ambusher/meh island camper.

2jpgbm.jpg

That way CM was (and still is) a blast to play, MBRB is just a gimmick, useful at ambushes and bursting some fires on freshly DCP'd boats.

[ZEN]
Players
105 posts
16,298 battles

The Main Battery Reload Booster Consumable seems adequate for many ships. 

Yet to me, for guns, higher accuracy decidely provides more advantages. On BB's like Massachusetts or Roma, for instance, which are famous for their dispersion, it would seem that a higher rate-of-fire would only lead to a higher frequency in which the target is (mostly) missed...

One interesting ship for this consumable would be the French tier 10 BB, République, which has a standard main battery reload time of only 24 seconds. 

Which means that in effect, in a battle lasting for 20 minutes i.e. 1,200 seconds, you would be able to fire off 50 rounds. 

For a comparable battleship with a 30 second reload, that would be 40 rounds. 

Yet in practice, you do of course not fire every half minute all through the entire duration of the battle. Effectively, you end up maybe firing of 3 or 4 rounds more, at the time when the battle is at its highest intensity and when it really counts. Imagine an even higher rate-of-fire than those 24 seconds and you could really see this making a difference! 

As a side-note, I noticed that the other new French tier 10 BB, Bourgogne, which is now being tested, will not get the same fast reload as République, but instead 28 seconds. 

Also, she will (by the way things appear to be configured now) be getting a significantly lower chance of fire with her HE shells (36% fire chance, compared to République's insanely high 48%!) and a ca. 1-2 km short range (which is still far above 20km). For that ship, with these parameters will then seem more useful... 

[ZEN]
Players
105 posts
16,298 battles
24 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Good idea to try that out on the Martel, which I already find a quite strong ship! 

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely go and try this out.  

:cap_like:

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,795 posts
6,434 battles
5 minutes ago, Midway67 said:

One interesting ship for this consumable would be the French tier 10 BB, République, which has a standard main battery reload time of only 24 seconds. 

You mean that would make it even more a monster than it already is... 

République, of all ship, doesn't need it.

And Bourgogne already has it.

TBH you're comparing apple with orange here... Bourgogne gets 12*380mm, République got 8*431. It's not the same beast at all. And what the point of talking about fire chance when you're playing them with AP only anyway ?

As for the Henri IV, I think the booster just gave it the versatility it needed. It was a "meh" ship before, the booster on the other hand gave it a new role of being able to burst a target. It also made the engine booster more valuable as you can use it to take a position quickly and ambush a ship. Combined with the best AP of the tier (highest alpha/good penetration/good velocity/normal angles) you can literally nuke a cruiser or sometimes even a BB. It has other nice utility, like instantly setting multiple fire on a target that just used its DCP.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,257 posts
7,335 battles

I use reload booster in my Henri, where I also have Legendary module.. 3-4 second reload is absolutely brutal in 240mm guns. Ever since I installed reload booster and LM, I havent had a single game under 140k damage.

• Cool 1

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,025 posts
13,618 battles
8 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Combined with the best AP of the tier (highest alpha/good penetration/good velocity/normal angles) you can literally nuke a cruiser or sometimes even a BB. It has other nice utility, like instantly setting multiple fire on a target that just used its DCP.

-ahem-

Capture.png

Also: good velocity on the Henri?

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Players
858 posts
3,869 battles

I wasn't convinced when I tried it on the test server but having used it more often on the live server, I'm a convert. Having the option to dump out a few salvos in quick succession when a target of opportunity appears is great. I don't use the premium variant on my Algie or CM, I find the regular free version is enough. I bought the LaGal back to try it and was pleased with it on that ship too but on balance for a light cruiser I prefer the faster base reload of the De Grasse so I sold it again.

I'm also close to selling the Algie but that's mostly because the Yorck was buffed. I'm not sure the MBRB makes enough of a difference on the Algie to warrant keeping both ships.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,795 posts
6,434 battles

Okay, STANDARD cruiser.

Yeah, the velocity is good. Not Zao nor Moskva, so not "the best", but it's middle ground, on par with Hindenburg. And I call that good.

Hindenburg got the alpha but not the penetration, Zao got velocity and "good" penetration for 203mm but not the highest in any stats, Moskva got the velocity and the penetration but not the alpha, DM got the penetration (plus the angle) but not the alpha nor the velocity, Henri got Alpha, Penetration but middle ground velocity. I find the Henri better than the Moskva on some points, especially since Moskva doesn't have particularly good guns besides the high ROF and the penetration/velocity. Damage tend to be a bit meh and the fire chance isn't anything amazing on Moskva.

[JRM]
Players
676 posts
12,292 battles

Its gimmiky but i do use it on cm and henri and unless i am blapped early usually spend them all with good dmg results

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,964 posts
5,449 battles

Good for ambush/catching people on their broadside or burning them after they put down single fire.

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
607 posts
5,965 battles

On cruiser is a very fun and usefull consumable( but at least talking about the st-louis, they shouldn't  have nerfed the base reload), on bbs imho is a gamebreaking no-no. But wg wants  to push out  idioticly op freemium, and bbs with less counterplay because so bbabies don't  cry too much

Sign in to follow this