Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
lovelacebeer

HMS Hood play advice

28 comments in this topic

Players
57 posts
12,040 battles

I was kindly given the HMS Hood as a gift a while back and whilst I do love having her I have never been able to really play the ship to its full potential, certainly compared to other battleships I have, so any advice or suggestions would be welcome. 

I realise that with the faster arming time her AP is great for dealing damage to cruisers, but much less likely to citadel battleships, so I have been going for the battlecrusier role in her, trying to use the speed to keep up with cruisers pushing flanks (when that happens) but I struggle with her poor accuracy. The Hood is extremely vulnerable to HE just like all British battleships but with so few guns the accuracy really is a massive draw back when compared to other battleships although all battleship players are at the mercy of RNG, meaning that I will probably loose a lot of health before I can finally finish off the cruisers I'm usually hunting especially if friendly cruisers have fallen victim to accurate BB fire.

The one thing I do like about the Hood is her AA apparently a lot of CV players don't realise she has the AA boost so there is a certain satisfaction of taking out their first strike and only having to dodge the couple of torpedos that make it into the water. 

Can anyone who has the Hood suggest alternative ways to play her or is her wildly inaccurate guns her thing like they are with the Gneisnaeu and you just have to accept it?

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,261 posts
7,954 battles

I don't have her (feel free to sent her to me as a gift), but looking at your t7 BB stats, I'd say you do just fine. 

I guess there's always room for improvement (for everyone), but comparatively speaking I don't see a problem.

2g3233222.jpg

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
324 posts
4,519 battles

Get a lot of detonation flags. :cap_haloween:

ATM Hood has one of, if not the most accurate BB guns at T7, however you should NOT stay at max range and snipe, because it`s not a Yamato, and bad shell characteristics will heavily hinder Hood`s performance.
If i were to buy Hood (i have enough premiums already) i`d play it as mid-range ship. You have the health advantage, good guns, and quite good armor scheme (not a german one though).

I don`t think it must be mentioned, but still - don`t brawl with a ship sporting a 930m turning circle, and don`t bow-tank other BB`s (since 25mm is being overmatched by T7 BB guns)

[AS13]
Players
1,175 posts
1,567 battles

Seems to me you're doing fine.... the thing with Hood is, it is not inaccurate. It is just as good as the Queen Elizabeth.

But, Hood has a few barrels less, so the punch is a bit less... The accuracy is good (at least I think so).

Take your time to aim... and yes sometimes RNGesus just craps on you, but usually not.

Do not be afraid of BBs in Hood, you are A LOT quicker, and if you took the rudder speed upgrade you can YOLO them. 

Swoop past them and just leave them in the dust - keep looking back and swing that rear end, they'll never hit you.

It really can swing that rear end. In a one-on-one, I even dare to go broadside with it - 10km is enough time to swing out and make their salvo miss.

Just make sure your own is a good hit, and then you can just wear them down.

Due to the less guns you must sort of 'dive in' to deal real damage. But you CAN, and you can escape too. 

I play Hood like a big fat cruiser, unfortunately I'm not that good at avoiding islands. 

When it works it's brilliant though. Sometimes you need teammates to throw chasing cruisers off. 

And just spec for the max anti-fire. She can take a lot. And the heal helps, too. Quite often I'm 'last man standing'. 

But if you get caught by more than 3 cruisers... you need to focus on ONE and create escape route, because they can burn you down good. 

• Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
3,192 posts
4,334 battles
4 hours ago, lovelacebeer said:

Can anyone who has the Hood suggest alternative ways to play her or is her wildly inaccurate guns her thing like they are with the Gneisnaeu and you just have to accept it?

Hood's accuracy is not poor. The shells are just slow. When you get used to it, they generally fly true.

Hood's main advantage is how hard it is to actually kill. Hood's main weakness is how hard it is to give a proper knockout blow to BBs. You basically got the basics down, focus cruisers and DDs first, so your team can focus down the BBs that are shooting you. Don't brawl, it's not suited for the task. And I don't get why you say it is vulnerable to HE. British BB are vulnerable to HE, because they are typically 25/32 mm armour all over the ship. Hood gets a 51 mm deck, a thick upper belt and only at the extremities and superstructure can be HE penned... like every T7 BB.

Don't count on the AA too much. The AA works great if you get targeted at the start by potatoes not knowing what Hood AA is. After the first few HE salvos, you'll have lost all the rocket mounts though and it's basically pointless. 

[PRAVD]
Players
983 posts
5,254 battles
11 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

It is just as good as the Queen Elizabeth.

But, Hood has a few barrels less, so the punch is a bit less...

The last time I checked both Queen Elizabeth and Hood had the same number of guns (8). Did I miss something?

:Smile_coin:

• Cool 2

Players
1,369 posts
6,125 battles
11 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Hood's accuracy is not poor. The shells are just slow. When you get used to it, they generally fly true.

Hood's main advantage is how hard it is to actually kill. Hood's main weakness is how hard it is to give a proper knockout blow to BBs. You basically got the basics down, focus cruisers and DDs first, so your team can focus down the BBs that are shooting you. Don't brawl, it's not suited for the task. And I don't get why you say it is vulnerable to HE. British BB are vulnerable to HE, because they are typically 25/32 mm armour all over the ship. Hood gets a 51 mm deck, a thick upper belt and only at the extremities and superstructure can be HE penned... like every T7 BB.

Don't count on the AA too much. The AA works great if you get targeted at the start by potatoes not knowing what Hood AA is. After the first few HE salvos, you'll have lost all the rocket mounts though and it's basically pointless. 

Always wanted the HMS Hood, but had/have quite a few tier 7 favorites so never got round to getting it.  Didn't seem to standout for me to buy it back then and I already had a Battlecruiser in the Sharn. 

But my regular Div mate enjoys the ship.  It can take a beating, a real beating and demolishes cruisers (like all good Battlecruisers do).  It's AA is very good when spec, but good CV players know this and torp from range and don't use bomber on it (well, the good CV players anyway) as it has short/medium range AA really.

I think I would enjoy the play style as it can keep up with the cruisers and take some punishment on their behalf.  AP against other BBs isn't great but it is a Battlecruiser after all.

Might get it if it's on sale. :Smile_coin:

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,803 battles
12 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

.... It is just as good as the Queen Elizabeth.But, Hood has a few barrels less, so the punch is a bit less......

50 minutes ago, Robber_Baron said:

The last time I checked both Queen Elizabeth and Hood had the same number of guns (8). Did I miss something?

I suspect a name issue - as QE is also T6, so meant to be compared to KGV, 10 guns and T7?

[AS13]
Players
1,175 posts
1,567 battles
1 hour ago, Robber_Baron said:

You are right. :Smile_medal:

I must have been dreaming of a middle turret... which QE doesn't have either (Iron Duke has, though) LMAO. :cap_fainting:

17 minutes ago, philjd said:

I suspect a name issue - as QE is also T6, so meant to be compared to KGV, 10 guns and T7?

Nah, too much New York/IronDuke fantasies there, I think.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,192 posts
4,334 battles
48 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Always wanted the HMS Hood, but had/have quite a few tier 7 favorites so never got round to getting it.  Didn't seem to standout for me to buy it back then and I already had a Battlecruiser in the Sharn. 

But my regular Div mate enjoys the ship.  It can take a beating, a real beating and demolishes cruisers (like all good Battlecruisers do).  It's AA is very good when spec, but good CV players know this and torp from range and don't use bomber on it (well, the good CV players anyway) as it has short/medium range AA really.

I think I would enjoy the play style as it can keep up with the cruisers and take some punishment on their behalf.  AP against other BBs isn't great but it is a Battlecruiser after all.

Might get it if it's on sale. :Smile_coin:

I recommend it on a sale. The ship is no Scharnhorst. It often will strike people as boring, compared to 20 second guns and torps, so it might not be valued the full price. But it performs. It also is a rare RN BB that really should stick with its AP, even getting USN ricochet angles.

Hood short range AA dies fast. When it is dead, the rest of the AA is pretty crap and Hood can get deleted by AP bombers. 

• Cool 2

Players
1,369 posts
6,125 battles
11 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

I recommend it on a sale. The ship is no Scharnhorst. It often will strike people as boring, compared to 20 second guns and torps, so it might not be valued the full price. But it performs. It also is a rare RN BB that really should stick with its AP, even getting USN ricochet angles.

Hood short range AA dies fast. When it is dead, the rest of the AA is pretty crap and Hood can get deleted by AP bombers. 

I think you hit the nail on the head with "boring", doesn't mean it's bad tho.  Does the defensive AA still work if the rockets have been destroyed?  :cap_yes: I cant remember...Never underestimate Defensive AA, regardless of how much AA it has. 

But i think i would enjoy it's play style. 

[AS13]
Players
1,175 posts
1,567 battles
10 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with "boring", doesn't mean it's bad tho.  

It's not boring at all. When you have 'nothing to do' it is easy to re-locate. 

Worst that can happen is you get chased by cruisers (as you are a big Pinata...).

Yesterday I had 3 chasing me, was fun. Went to the edge of the map and made them all useless.

Meanwhile managed to blap their CV. No big score but we did win.

• Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
3,192 posts
4,334 battles
1 minute ago, Redcap375 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with "boring".  Does the defensive AA still work if the rockets have been destroyed?  :cap_yes: I cant remember...Never underestimate Defensive AA, regardless of how much AA it has. 

But i think i would enjoy it's play style. 

No, it doesn't work. Hood defAA only applies to the rockets and when they, with their pitiful hp and exposed location, get wrecked, you rely on the 7x2 102 mm DP guns (same as found on the cruisers 5 km base range) and 3 octuple pom-poms (if they survived, 2.5 km base range). Together, they give like 125 dps. Couple HMGs exist, but likely would be dead, not to mention they suck (8.4 dps at 1.2 km). If you spec into AA you might get something (and the 3k+ dps meme AA when rockets work), but I don't recommend going further than AFT to help the rockets matter (together with AA mod 1). That already is more investment in a silly trick than could be justified for competitive play, where improving tankiness kind of helps more to drive the tankiness home.

When the rockets do work though and you max out their range, you got something like 2.2 km (I think) aura of assured plane destruction, as if they just flew into Worcester AA.

[JRM]
Players
676 posts
12,322 battles

I played around with hood aa long time ago but found it overall wanting, nowdays when i take it out for a spin i just stick the 19pt survival build jack dunkirk from the monq on it and if i get cv-ed well fu** it...

Remains to be seen what happens after rework tho, if short range aa gets so much more important as some suggest it might change things a bit

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
1,175 posts
1,567 battles
56 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

I played around with hood aa long time ago but found it overall wanting, nowdays when i take it out for a spin i just stick the 19pt survival build jack dunkirk from the monq on it and if i get cv-ed well fu** it...

Remains to be seen what happens after rework tho, if short range aa gets so much more important as some suggest it might change things a bit

Yeah, if it gets fixed that HE shoots it all, as Riselotte says. 

If you have not been hit it is impressive, less so after a few HE canonnades. 

Still better than a lot of others so a smart CV seeks other targets. 

Even smarter CVs launch from further away... but then usually amaze themselves about the turning (rudder shift time expansion, mandatory!!).

I have had games where 2 CVs could not torp me, and lost a whole lot of planes. In the end they got me though. Took them 5 (combined!) runs.

Then again they weren't that good. Didn't manage to cross-torp even once. And I managed to shoot them both down to 10% (my Akatsuki buddy finished them off).

Hood is an oversized T7 cruiser. It doesn't disappoint when you treat it like that.

[POI--]
Players
3,192 posts
4,334 battles
10 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Still better than a lot of others so a smart CV seeks other targets. 

Without the rocket AA, it beats the Ashitaka in AA. That's it. There is no T7 BB with worse base AA. Yes, even Nagato is better.

[BEER]
Players
30 posts
14,487 battles

After reading  this thread I took my Hood out and had a game got 58.8 damage sunk a DD. But find the guns a bit hit and miss over 15.5k but in side that range they were ok  speed and manoeuvring  was ok got me out of any trouble so all in all not a bad boat,think the schanhorst is the boat to rule T7 BB's

[POI--]
Players
3,192 posts
4,334 battles
5 minutes ago, ROBBYD said:

After reading  this thread I took my Hood out and had a game got 58.8 damage sunk a DD. But find the guns a bit hit and miss over 15.5k but in side that range they were ok  speed and manoeuvring  was ok got me out of any trouble so all in all not a bad boat,think the schanhorst is the boat to rule T7 BB's

As in all other threads were it is brought up. Gneisenau beats Scharnhorst. Scharnhorst might have an easier time with cruisers and DDs, but for BB duty you want the overpen and secondaries worth a damn.

[AS13]
Players
1,175 posts
1,567 battles
15 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Without the rocket AA, it beats the Ashitaka in AA. That's it. There is no T7 BB with worse base AA. Yes, even Nagato is better.

Not my impression, but I do not have any of the other ships. Hood easily shoots down more than KGV, or any other BB I have.

Better than Fiji and almost as good as Dallas.

But no matter, as long as CV players do not think like you (and they can't see HE damage or not...), they will attack Hood very last of all... :cap_like:

18 minutes ago, ROBBYD said:

Best range for Hood is 10-15k indeed. Wouldn't go closer if you can't run anywhere after that,

unless you think you can one-shot the victim (broadside cruiser or 25% health BB) or have help. 

[POI--]
Players
3,192 posts
4,334 battles
8 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Not my impression, but I do not have any of the other ships. Hood easily shoots down more than KGV, or any other BB I have.

Better than Fiji and almost as good as Dallas.

But no matter, as long as CV players do not think like you (and they can't see HE damage or not...), they will attack Hood very last of all... :cap_like:

Fiji is a cruiser. Cruisers typically have worse AA, but can get defAA if they aren't RN. Obviously Fiji has worse AA defense without consumable (just like Mogami and Atago can defend themselves better than Edinburgh for that very same reason). Dallas is a T6 cruiser that can shoot planes and scatter the drop (and never has to trade away defAA). Hood cannot scatter.

As to why your KGV shoots down less planes... less AA build? Base AA-wise, it is sronger.

[AS13]
Players
1,175 posts
1,567 battles
1 minute ago, Riselotte said:

Fiji is a cruiser. Cruisers typically have worse AA, but can get defAA if they aren't RN. Obviously Fiji has worse AA defense without consumable (just like Mogami and Atago can defend themselves better than Edinburgh for that very same reason). Dallas is a T6 cruiser that can shoot planes and scatter the drop (and never has to trade away defAA). Hood cannot scatter.

As to why your KGV shoots down less planes... less AA build? Base AA-wise, it is sronger.

Maybe I'm just having terrible bad luck with that KGV. Most people think it is OP.

I think it is a bananaboat, too squishy - and it shoots bananas as well. 

[POI--]
Players
3,192 posts
4,334 battles
Just now, BLUB__BLUB said:

Maybe I'm just having terrible bad luck with that KGV. Most people think it is OP.

I think it is a bananaboat, too squishy - and it shoots bananas as well. 

RN BBs from QE on are not well-armoured. if you want Hood's degree of tankiness, German BBs are the better line. Hood basically is the only T6 and up RN BB that tanks with more than just a high (effective) hp pool.

[AS13]
Players
1,175 posts
1,567 battles
Just now, Riselotte said:

RN BBs from QE on are not well-armoured. if you want Hood's degree of tankiness, German BBs are the better line. Hood basically is the only T6 and up RN BB that tanks with more than just a high (effective) hp pool.

Yep. I'll have to get used (adapt playstyle) to the bananaboat or start grinding the coconuts. 

Sign in to follow this