Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

Polling Legendary modules

How many LM have you obtained and how many of the are you currently using? Do you plan to use them?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. How many LM have you obtained?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five
    • More
    • None
  2. 2. I'm currently using % of my obtained LM

• 0%
    • 20-25%
    • 33-50%
    • 60-80%
    • 100%
    • I've got none
    • Other or in between some percentage
  3. 3. Do you plan to use more of the Legendary modules later, perhaps for another game mode?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe/other

34 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles

I just got my second for the Gearing and I thought - I'll equip it, play a number of games and review it (since no one else will :Smile_sceptic:) - but then I checked the stats. Sure concealment buffs are great, but it comes at a cost of nerfing the main tool of the Gearing. What's the point of spotting if you can't kill it? ...or is the module mainly for Ranked/CBs? Providing spotting for the team mostly?¨

I decided that I'll continue using my Gearing as my preferred build - good enough concealment and maximise gunpower, at least in Randoms.

Anyway, I thought I'd poll how many of the modules that are actually used, or if people plan on using them.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,261 posts
7,954 battles
4 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

What's the point of spotting if you can't kill it?

Exaggerating much...it's supposed to be a sidegrade.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
10 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Exaggerating much...it's supposed to be a sidegrade.

Not that much. There are plenty of gun dds now that you can take on in the right situation, but I'd be more hesitant about engaging with a 15% nerf to the guns. You can kill shimas more easily perhaps with the LM, but that's hardly the issue for Gearings atm.

Gearing LM probably is a decent sidegrade, but for me in Randoms, I'd pass on it.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,261 posts
7,954 battles
3 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Not that much. There are plenty of gun dds now that you can take on in the right situation, but I'd be more hesitant about engaging with a 15% nerf to the guns.

Exactly - with this module you shift your role a bit more towards the torp DD role and you can actually counter Shimas a bit better without RPF.

Add Fletcher torps to that for more torp DPM and you have your sidegrade (aka slightly different role).

If it just gave better concealment it'd be an upgrade...

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
26 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Exactly - with this module you shift your role a bit more towards the torp DD role and you can actually counter Shimas a bit better without RPF.

Add Fletcher torps to that for more torp DPM and you have your sidegrade (aka slightly different role).

If it just gave better concealment it'd be an upgrade...

These points and different builds/uses doesn't come forth without threads about them. I'm not arguing the different role. It's not for me in Randoms. I think it could be more effective in perhaps Ranked or CBs, but I'm not sure. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone uses them, or this Gearing LM in particular, and what people think about them. Do you use it or is this argument merely hypothetical?

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,707 posts
13,150 battles

Was thinking about testing the Midway module and how it affects gameplay. Trading a bit of speed for essentially T10 TBs and T12 DBs seems like a good deal on paper especially with totally balans AP bombs.

Not actively grinding any LMs tho so that might still take a while. Heck, maybe I won't even get it until the rework happens.

[HHOTN]
Players
92 posts
10,153 battles

the 15% means Gearing will have a reload of 3,45 sec(slot 6 with torp reload module), and not 3 sec, but same concealment like  a shima, u will still be able to gundown a shima 1 vs 1 imo.

link ships builds

• Cool 2

Players
674 posts
7,950 battles

I am on the final 40,000 bxp for my Gearing and also my Yeuyang. Got my Shima upgrade and was very disappointed... Is the one for Gearing as bad?

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
5 minutes ago, N00Boo7 said:

the 15% means Gearing will have a reload of 3,45 sec(slot 6 with torp reload module), and not 3 sec, but same concealment like  a shima, u will still be able to gundown a shima 1 vs 1 imo.

link ships builds

Of course. but I'm killing shimas now too. The difference is I'd be more hesitant to take on Grozos, YY, other Gearings. Khabas and Harus will be no-goes, and Z-52 will at least take more effort to take out, probably at the cost of health. So.. it's more spotting for the team, but is it worth the trade? Considering all the radars, I doubt it it, at least for me.

Beta Tester
145 posts
2,289 battles
15 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Of course. but I'm killing shimas now too. The difference is I'd be more hesitant to take on Grozos, YY, other Gearings. Khabas and Harus will be no-goes, and Z-52 will at least take more effort to take out, probably at the cost of health. So.. it's more spotting for the team, but is it worth the trade? Considering all the radars, I doubt it it, at least for me.

You can however outspot ships like the YY now. That way you can engage the gunfight on your own terms, which can be very interesting. I would however use the LM with the gun reload upgrade in 6th slot.

Regarding YY's LM I don't know. The only reason I still have it is in the hopes they will change it someday. 

Beta Tester
238 posts
8,116 battles

Got the Shima one, the faster torp reload catches people out but if things get close in it's too limiting for me so removed it. Would consider it for Arms Race but 25 dubs every time to switch it out, nah not going to happen.

[HMSR]
Players
1,639 posts
5,871 battles

Currently im in the proces of grinding the LM's for Yamato, Z-52, Zao, DM, Shimas i'll pass probobly, have till the end of the year to grind them out, after 31.12th, will these modules still be avalable or no? 

I'm going to grind out Hindy and Moskva by then. :cap_yes:

[SV3]
Players
197 posts
6,811 battles
3 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

These points and different builds/uses doesn't come forth without threads about them. I'm not arguing the different role. It's not for me in Randoms. I think it could be more effective in perhaps Ranked or CBs, but I'm not sure. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone uses them, or this Gearing LM in particular, and what people think about them. Do you use it or is this argument merely hypothetical?

I use Khabas and Grozovois. Will try Shimas and Gearings when I get them. Im still on the base xp bit. The YY and Z modules seem kinda fun but I dont think they are worth it. When it comes to the Kebab and its little sister the modules are worth it. Guns are everything to them and the tradeoffs are bad but not gamebreaking.

Edited by Systergummi
  • Cool 1

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles
6 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

I just got my second for the Gearing and I thought - I'll equip it, play a number of games and review it (since no one else will :Smile_sceptic:) - but then I checked the stats. Sure concealment buffs are great, but it comes at a cost of nerfing the main tool of the Gearing. What's the point of spotting if you can't kill it? ...or is the module mainly for Ranked/CBs? Providing spotting for the team mostly?¨

I decided that I'll continue using my Gearing as my preferred build - good enough concealment and maximise gunpower, at least in Randoms.

Anyway, I thought I'd poll how many of the modules that are actually used, or if people plan on using them.

Legendary mod on the gearing has 2 possible builds.
1) full gunboat modules + legendary + PM,LS,SE,CE,RL,AR,BFT = 2,7s gun reload + fletcher torps for the faster reload (they can be more useful on knife fights as a herding tool)
OR
2)PM,LS,SE,CE,RL(*),AR,TAE + full torp mods + legendary = 3.4s gun reload + long range torps. Thats my ranked + cw build.
Yes the guns are slower BUT if your aim is good (got 45% hr in ranked and 41% hr in randoms) then you can still gun the fak down every dd in 1v1 as long as you bow-on wiggle. You offset the difference in reload with the enemy dd by avoiding his shells AND using RL to dictate the angle of engagement.
*)RL is your main weapon here. You NEED to select the place and angle of the fight.You NEED to use it to send preemptive torps(1 tube) his way.
You create distractions and give them too much parameters to evaluate and thus forcing them to either overcommit and die or flee and die or get rekt.

Legendary build 2 vs non legendary gunboat gearing.
Here, although i havent been in this situation yet, i believe that you are at a serious dissadvantage since the firepower of a fully gun build gearing will create you serious problems. The solution might be to cut the engage in 2 parts by using your smoke and reengage at your own terms.
Still, there are not that many people who play a full gun specced gearing, so your chances are low.

• Cool 4

Weekend Tester
440 posts
14,479 battles
8 hours ago, PassTheSalt said:

Got the Shima one, the faster torp reload catches people out but if things get close in it's too limiting for me so removed it.

My first module was for Shima also.

Usually I am playing shima with 8 km torps and i try it with module. Is useless. Then i switched to 12 km torps, i played 2-3 games, i stopped using the module.

I have it on my Yamato and Wooster,  now i work for khaba.

I will not play to get it for other DDs.

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
6 hours ago, Ouzo11 said:

Legendary build 2 vs non legendary gunboat gearing.
Here, although i havent been in this situation yet, i believe that you are at a serious dissadvantage since the firepower of a fully gun build gearing will create you serious problems. The solution might be to cut the engage in 2 parts by using your smoke and reengage at your own terms.
Still, there are not that many people who play a full gun specced gearing, so your chances are low.

I think only met 2 LM Gearing builds in Ranked. Both were a slight annoyance due to their concealment, but neither of them were keen on engaging in a gunfight. I don't think it was a great build in Ranked - probably just a side-grade as it perhaps should be.

Did you use the LM in this Ranked season? Was it worth it?

[5D]
Players
388 posts
19,705 battles
13 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Was thinking about testing the Midway module and how it affects gameplay. Trading a bit of speed for essentially T10 TBs and T12 DBs seems like a good deal on paper especially with totally balans AP bombs.

Not actively grinding any LMs tho so that might still take a while. Heck, maybe I won't even get it until the rework happens.

The midway module is actually quite useful. It was especially useful in ranked for getting nice drops on worscesters. The only downsides I've found are trying to cross drop dds who are actively dodging as it takes longer to maneuver your planes around them. 

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,062 posts
14,079 battles

now that worcester is getting nerfed radar range, the LM is even more worthless 

Honestly, who wants to get spotted at 10.5 km with 9.0km radar range for a 10% radar duration buff?, lol gtfo

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,860 posts
8,086 battles

Hi all,

I am at the very final stage of acquiring my "Yamato" module (just a few XP needed)...

Leo "Apollo11"

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles
3 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

I think only met 2 LM Gearing builds in Ranked. Both were a slight annoyance due to their concealment, but neither of them were keen on engaging in a gunfight. I don't think it was a great build in Ranked - probably just a side-grade as it perhaps should be.

Did you use the LM in this Ranked season? Was it worth it?

Well in ranked you cant engage inside caps that easily.
Most of the knife fights where done in the center where we were both trying to spot and in the "safe caps".
As long as your aim is good and you know how to exploit rpf then its totally worth it in ranked.My original idea was to use it with the fletcher torps for the extremely fast reload but i found the long range ones to be way more useful.I am not the kind that spams torps on cooldown if there is not a valid reason to do so.

On the next replay go to the 14th minute ( 6 minutes into the match) and watch from there the 1v1.
I am down to 11k hp, enemy yueyang is full.
He died, i got chat banned.

(Open the replay with wows.exe
Use ">" and "Control >" to skill ahead 30s and 60s.
After each ">" wait 3-5s before pressing it again, otherwise replay will crash
Go to 14.00 game time and watch from there how he gets rekt.
Angling, wiggling, smoke, torps and every known trick in the book is used here.
If i had not missed 2 shots when he was turning i would have not also died.)

20181007_153110_PASD013-Gearing-1945_14_Atlantic.wowsreplay

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,806 posts
6,439 battles

Got the Yamato one, and boooooiii it is a monster. The ships completely changes thanks to that dispersion upgrade. You can reliably blap and snipe stuff, and the occasional derpy salvo almost disappeared.

Never gonna take it off. It's that good and the downgrade just makes it a bit more reliant on Adrenaline Rush and a bit more difficult to position.

In the far future I definitely want the Midway one. From player who owns it, it is very useful.

I plan to get the Zao, Khebab and Moskva upgrades as well.

I'm just wondering what will it be for the Harugumo. Depending on its utility I'll definitely focus on getting it.:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
22 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Got the Yamato one, and boooooiii it is a monster. The ships completely changes thanks to that dispersion upgrade. You can reliably blap and snipe stuff, and the occasional derpy salvo almost disappeared.

Never gonna take it off. It's that good and the downgrade just makes it a bit more reliant on Adrenaline Rush and a bit more difficult to position.

So... you expect a nerf to it..? :cap_hmm:

Sign in to follow this