Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
That_Other_Nid

Yeuyang V Chung Mu

24 comments in this topic

Players
404 posts
5,849 battles

So I have a couple hundred games in Chung Mu and I have played the Yueyang a little but sold it as I needed the credits for other things and I was finding it less effective than Chung Mu.

Currently I have the Chung Mu tricked out as a torpedo boat with the 81.1 second reload. Now I have a second 19 point captain in the Gadjah Mada and was thinking of moving it to the Yueyang. What do you guys use as your Yueyang set up, including captain skills for a 19 point captain?

Players
3,284 posts
6,875 battles
8 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

So I have a couple hundred games in Chung Mu and I have played the Yueyang a little but sold it as I needed the credits for other things and I was finding it less effective than Chung Mu.

Currently I have the Chung Mu tricked out as a torpedo boat with the 81.1 second reload. Now I have a second 19 point captain in the Gadjah Mada and was thinking of moving it to the Yueyang. What do you guys use as your Yueyang set up, including captain skills for a 19 point captain?

Welcome to 'Fletcher vs Gearing" dilemma. Though it lessened a bit since Gearing got Fletcher torps.

Build wise... Generic multipurpose one? PT, LS, SE, CE, BFT, TAE, SI?

[BOTS]
Alpha Tester
2,203 posts
8,645 battles

You sold your yeuyang but are now rebuying it? Just checking

Players
404 posts
5,849 battles
4 hours ago, Shaka_D said:

You sold your yeuyang but are now rebuying it? Just checking

Yeah, I was playing about with it and Harugumo in ranked but sucked with both. Now I have the credits laying about and a spare 19 point captain so I am considering getting it again. It's only advantage seems to be the 4 guns forward though, torps stealth and speed all favour the Chung Mu.

4 hours ago, Panocek said:

Welcome to 'Fletcher vs Gearing" dilemma. Though it lessened a bit since Gearing got Fletcher torps.

Build wise... Generic multipurpose one? PT, LS, SE, CE, BFT, TAE, SI?

It's a good deal worse here because the torps are significantly worse and it's 1.5 knots slower.

• Cool 1

Players
686 posts
7,950 battles

I have Yeuyang and run these skills.

Screenshot (345).png

I also use the following modules and upgrades...

Screenshot (346).png

Screenshot (347).png

Beta Tester
150 posts
2,289 battles

I have played Chung Mu as a DD hunter. Fully spec'd on the guns with radar. This is also one of the reasons I prefer YY, because it has longer radar time. Another reason I prefer YY is because it is useful for CB's.

Captain skills: PM, AR, LS, SE, RL and CE = 16 points. With my last three skill points I was using BFT before and now using TAE. Might go back to BFT.

If you enjoy torping ships I'd like to recommend a different line, eg: KM.

Players
1,423 posts
10,102 battles
41 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I have played Chung Mu as a DD hunter. Fully spec'd on the guns with radar. This is also one of the reasons I prefer YY, because it has longer radar time. Another reason I prefer YY is because it is useful for CB's.

Captain skills: PM, AR, LS, SE, RL and CE = 16 points. With my last three skill points I was using BFT before and now using TAE. Might go back to BFT.

If you enjoy torping ships I'd like to recommend a different line, eg: KM.

This is the main reason for having a YY: it is TX and can be used in CBs and ranked. Plus radar duration is a bit better.

For a fun build and torpedoing, I'm looking at turning my Z52 into a TX kamikaze: Wiith legendary module and TAE plus 3 mil torp reload module = 40 % torp reload reduction.

FYI that results in a torpedo reload just below 1 minute on those wonderful 10,5 km 2x4 launchers (for comparison, Kamikaze has 44s with TAE).

I pays with concealment, but lets be honest. Even the 6,1 concealment Z52 is outdated for competitive games (since YY is just better)

6,3-6,5 concealment should be sufficient for Randoms where nobody can hit a barn from the inside anyway.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,039 posts
2 hours ago, That_Other_Nid said:

I have a captain on both Chung and Yuey and I use the same build on both, I'd never claim that it's perfect, but it works for me and the way I play.

Preventative Maint

Adrenaline + Last Stand

Survivability + Torpedo Armament

Concealment + RDF

I tried gunboaty setups and found it's simply too fragile, at least for me.

• Cool 1

Players
686 posts
7,950 battles
4 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

3 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Plus radar duration is a bit better.

Do you guys rate radar over smoke then, doesn't that mean you cannot cover your team if they need to run or are cornered?

[SWTP]
Players
280 posts
5,692 battles

For a while I played YY exclusively with radar, now trying smoke, both are fun, IMO radar is better suited for clan wars, smoke gives more independence for randoms plus can help survive with CVs, for ranked I played with radar only, the problem is with random teams not shooting radared DDs often and opening fire without the means of breaking contact can be punishing.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles

I'd say smoke generally is more efficient in Random games, while radar is a bit more effective in Ranked.

[HAERT]
Players
2,039 posts
1 minute ago, loppantorkel said:

I'd say smoke generally is more efficient in Random games, while radar is a bit more effective in Ranked.

Indeed, well not necessarily Ranked, but certainly for Clan Battles. Ranked you really can't count on a team that supports in any way or actually shoots st spotted DD's.

In Randoms radar can be effective, but really only if divisioned.

Players
404 posts
5,849 battles

Well I've decided to duplicate the Chung Mu build for a moment. I might switch back the the gunnery module if I find I'm shooting a lot more than I do with Chung Mu. Currently the torpedo reload is 104 seconds.

DCC4EB39957553DD6C33A66A0E13A33FB78005E4

633F228E81865136E8127B898654125E70C74A12

Players
1,423 posts
10,102 battles
6 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Do you guys rate radar over smoke then, doesn't that mean you cannot cover your team if they need to run or are cornered?

Basically it depends on the game mode.

Radar is superior in Ranked and CW since you can get the YY into spots Des and other cruisers cant get into.

Smoke is probably superior in Randoms as it provides a means to counter CV spotting and using guns to BBQ BBs and CAs.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
7 hours ago, Gong_ER said:

Gunboat YY is highly effective. Enjoy:)

Same build as mine. I'd consider switching IFHE for RPF in the later stages of Ranked, or if you play CBs. It's certainly good enough in both Randoms and Ranked though.

Players
404 posts
5,849 battles
3 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Same build as mine. I'd consider switching IFHE for RPF in the later stages of Ranked, or if you play CBs. It's certainly good enough in both Randoms and Ranked though.

I thought about it, but it seem a little anemic compared to the IJN gunboats. 

So far I have skipped IFHE because it seems limited on higher tier ships, and went with the 20 second faster reload compared to the 13% higher DPS. I will need to judge if the loss of the 32 second faster reload is worth IFHE and the 13% DPS.

Beta Tester
2,086 posts
8,208 battles

Gearing > Fletcher

Yueyang > Chung Mu

because of the massive upgrade in gunpower! (+ 33,6 % HE DPM)

Gearing/YY is where your guns enable you to truly out-DPM the competition. 

If you do not appreciate that, you shoud be playing Shimakaze instead.

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,034 posts
11,493 battles

The YueYang has the best torpedoes in the game (by quite a wide margin).

For randoms I use smoke and I think RL is very important.

So my build is PT, LS AR, SE TAE, CE RL (for randoms).

You lose torpedo DPM compared to the Chung Mu but you gain a lot of range and gun DPM. With the ample number of smokes Pan Asia DDs get, the play style is quite straight forward: torp, smoke, pew pew, torp, smoke etc.

I wouldn't play it like a pure gun boat. If you want that, play the Grozovoi instead.

• Cool 1

Players
404 posts
5,849 battles
3 hours ago, _Teob_ said:

The YueYang has the best torpedoes in the game (by quite a wide margin).

For randoms I use smoke and I think RL is very important.

So my build is PT, LS AR, SE TAE, CE RL (for randoms).

You lose torpedo DPM compared to the Chung Mu but you gain a lot of range and gun DPM. With the ample number of smokes Pan Asia DDs get, the play style is quite straight forward: torp, smoke, pew pew, torp, smoke etc.

I wouldn't play it like a pure gun boat. If you want that, play the Grozovoi instead.

Yeah, I find the improved gun power a dramatic improvement, especially the 4 guns forward. Starting fires after someone had DCed the torpedo hits and for deleting less gun happy DDs in caps is my main use for the guns. The extra penetration of the IJN gunboat and the loss of torpedo reload is why I avoid IFHE on it. As it is I am getting a iot of good hits without it, so the need is just not there in my playstyle.

Beta Tester
2,086 posts
8,208 battles

#1 job of any DD is countering the enemy DDs. 

(Yes even Khaba - go 2nd row cap support and hunt them whenever possible. Yes even Asashio - go spot them.)

1/3 more HE DPM on Gearing/YY is massive in that regard.

Burning BBs etc is of less importance. 

Players
404 posts
5,849 battles
2 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

#1 job of any DD is countering the enemy DDs. 

(Yes even Khaba - go 2nd row cap support and hunt them whenever possible. Yes even Asashio - go spot them.)

1/3 more HE DPM on Gearing/YY is massive in that regard.

Burning BBs etc is of less importance. 

In a division maybe. I will opportunistically shoot up other DDs if I have the advantage, but purposely losing 75% of my hit points in the first few minutes, even if I win, isn't that helpful in randoms. 

Beta Tester
2,086 posts
8,208 battles
26 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

In a division maybe. I will opportunistically shoot up other DDs if I have the advantage, but purposely losing 75% of my hit points in the first few minutes, even if I win, isn't that helpful in randoms. 

Countering enemy DDs does not mean rushing in recklessly. 

If you keep the right balance between aggression and self-preservation, you can counter the enemy DDs all game and still do nice damage on the fly. 

Sign in to follow this