Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
callumwaw

Hero of Dunkirk??

28 comments in this topic

Players
68 posts
5,287 battles

Guys, could you enlighten me on what the current Directive Mission 1 really is about? 

It's called "Hero of Dunkirk" and the description is, "Earn 10 stars - must be completed in a Scenario Battle". 

Am I correct in understanding that they got their own terminology mixed up and what they mean by "Scenario Battle" is in fact "Operations"?   

This week, the Operation is "Raptor Rescue".   The name of the mission, however,  is "Hero of Dunkirk" - does it mean I have to switch to "Operation Dunkirk" and get a total of 10 stars there?  Or can I play any Operations mission? 

Also, apparently I can only play Operation Dynamo as part of a Division - why would they force people to play in a Division? Not everybody likes it. 

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
13,621 posts
10,385 battles

You have to get stars. It does not specifiy in which Operation. And yes, Operatons are Scenario Battle.

• Cool 3

[BFS]
Beta Tester
756 posts
4,577 battles
6 minutes ago, callumwaw said:

OK, not very logical but it's clear now. Thanks very much, mate!

WG either used Google Translate or outscourced the translation........

• Cool 1

Players
68 posts
5,287 battles

@BrusilovX  that seems to happen a lot, as you look at the descriptions of some of the missions etc.  It's clear they've not been written by an English native-speaker.  You would have thought that Wargaming could afford to hire ONE native person to proof-read those texts for them ;)   

• Cool 1

Players
8 posts
1,438 battles

I'm more annoyed that it was extremely easy to get stars in Dunkirk. So far two attempts at Raptor and no stars...

Players
16 posts
2,939 battles
17 minutes ago, NapalmJunkie said:

I'm more annoyed that it was extremely easy to get stars in Dunkirk. So far two attempts at Raptor and no stars...

To be fair if you had to use historical British or French destroyers Dunkirk would be more difficult. It is a piece of piss with American and Russian destroyers allowed to take part.

• Cool 1

[DEXIL]
Players
61 posts
2,942 battles

Quick question on Operation Raptor.... has this always been in it?

Commander Ship.jpg

It sails on the map border very quickly and you cant damage it.

Players
191 posts
4,763 battles
11 minutes ago, Fatal_Ramses said:

Commander Ship.jpg

wtf?

Players
251 posts
1,332 battles
7 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

WG either used Google Translate or outscourced the translation........

... And, if so, outsourced it to to an agency which evidently doesn't keep a translation memory and termbase for each client, or doesn't insist that its freelancers use them :fish_palm: The facepalm being directed more at said agency than at WG, in that case. It really is very easy to do.

The fact that one of the less prominent 'series' of news pieces has appeared under different overarching titles – from 'Not historical? Maybe' (which means precisely nothing btw) to 'Almost historical' (which is an improvement, I guess) – rather suggests this is happening.

7 hours ago, callumwaw said:

@BrusilovX  that seems to happen a lot, as you look at the descriptions of some of the missions etc.  It's clear they've not been written by an English native-speaker.  You would have thought that Wargaming could afford to hire ONE native person to proof-read those texts for them ;)   

The number of people who don't grasp the importance of having at least one native-speaker language-services professional involved confuses the heck out of me.

• Cool 1

Players
1,979 posts
5,911 battles
7 hours ago, NapalmJunkie said:

This operation has become more difficult after its latest rework to an extent it's hard to complete it with a random team at all.

So far I've played it 7 times or so, 4 were losses and the 3 wins were all in a div (with 2 of them div of 3 good players). None of the solo games were wins, despite me often being top position.

[HF_30]
Players
1,290 posts

It's communications. WG doesn't do communications, it's more like word RNG.

As for the difficulty level of the current iteration of Raptor, well, it's at least a bit more challenging now, so actually worth playing every now and then. As long as you don't end up with a team of more than one DD, it's doable even with random players, provided they're not all that stoopeed. In my book that's exactly as it should be. I'd rather have the occasional failed round than a borefest. We already have t10 for that.

• Cool 1

[BS4]
Players
668 posts
4,905 battles
11 hours ago, Fatal_Ramses said:

Commander Ship.jpg

Question : does it return fire ?

Players
750 posts
6,653 battles
On 07/10/2018 at 1:38 AM, NothingButTheRain said:

This operation has become more difficult after its latest rework to an extent it's hard to complete it with a random team at all.

Am I right in thinking that there are difficulty modes for Operations? Because it's not too hard on standard difficulty, even if you bring a DD.

I tend to ignore Operations but gave Raptor a go this weekend to complete the RN mission, and actually had quite a lot of fun, found a use for Farragut, which I can't bear in Random games. Some epic saltiness, too, over the fact that DDs should be spotting, even when the enemies spawn in rather predictable places.

[PUPSI]
Players
5,861 posts
Vor 9 Minuten, invicta2012 sagte:

Am I right in thinking that there are difficulty modes for Operations?

not yet

Vor 10 Minuten, invicta2012 sagte:

Because it's not too hard on standard difficulty,

but it is much harder than before the rework. But of course it depends not only on the players in your team, but also on the team setup WG gives you, regarding ships classes. And imho also the way the raptor takes plays a role, some routes are easier than others...

Players
750 posts
6,653 battles

Ah, well that's good to know. I'd not played it before the rework but it seems quite balanced and do-able. I think cruisers have a more tricky time of it, as they attract more aggro, but gunboat DDs like Farragut and Aigle were great fun. Quite nice playing a mission in a DD where you don't get focus fired the second you get spotted. 

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,803 battles
On 10/7/2018 at 1:38 AM, NothingButTheRain said:

So far I've played it 7 times or so, 4 were losses and the 3 wins were all in a div (with 2 of them div of 3 good players). None of the solo games were wins, despite me often being top position.

It took me 6 runs to get the 10 stars, first outing, Warspite, 4 stars, 2nd, Warspite, no stars, 3rd, Leander 1 star, 4th Perth, no stars, 5th Huanghe, 1 star, 6th La Galiissionaire 5 stars, go figure :)

It is fun, but what staggers me about it is the number of players who hide behind the ships they are supposed to be protecting, no matter what you tell/advise them (different languages most likely) - but Raptor herself leading the charge is very common, but generally means a loss :(

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
756 posts
4,577 battles

I tried this operation a number of times on the weekend.  I did suck at it (too many torps to avoid).   The first game in my Warspite we had a division of a Queen Elizabeth and a DD and they went south to take car of the CV which they did do but then there was no way the QE could get back into the action.

Later on (another random group) we had 3DDs on BB and the rest CAs.   Within 3 minutes all DDs were dead and the Budyonny as well - I was wondering why I was being targeted in my Molotov by so many guns and torps - there were no other targets left.

Strangely it appears as if I had previously done this operation with 4 stars but I don;'t remember ever doing it - I didn't play operations until the last few months.

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,260 posts
7,954 battles

Took me two games to get 10 stars - just play a CV and your team knows in advance where bots are coming from, they don't need to bother chasing the CVs and you can spot torpedoes/DDs.

Players
2,675 posts
12,104 battles
1 hour ago, aboomination said:

Took me two games to get 10 stars - just play a CV and your team knows in advance where bots are coming from, they don't need to bother chasing the CVs and you can spot torpedoes/DDs.

Well, that is good advice......but remember that there are people who would rather sell their own family for medical experiments than play a CV.

• Funny 1

[_MIA_]
Players
2,906 posts
5,350 battles
3 hours ago, aboomination said:

hahaha would be great if that would work :cap_fainting:

Just played a match together with Forlornsailor - me Ryujo and he Leander.

I killed Myogi in first wave, then dealt with the CV on 2nd wave.

3!!! of our lobotomized glue eaters went to "kill" the Minekaze and Kuma - which worked pretty well... Budyonny died to flooding from Minekaze, and if i wouldnt have come back to strike the Kuma, our Aigle would have died aswell.

Didnt matter too much, since our Fuso dodged torps in the center, so that our ranger could take em. Meanwhile Kuma and Furutaka spawned behind me and Ranger, fucked me half up, Ranger was still somehow in retard mode, went to wrong side of the island and died to them, since none of our turds was helping me and the Ranger :cap_old:

Oh ye, i basicly killed the 2nd CV aswell, since obviously my team was playing without a mouse

/rant off

• Cool 1

Players
2,871 posts
5,156 battles
47 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Didnt matter too much, since our Fuso dodged torps in the center, so that our ranger could take em.

Can someone help me understand this? Why the :etc_swear: would you dodge the torpedos, so that the Ranger gets killed? While your objective LITERALLY is : SAVE THE GODDAMN CV? What are these people thinking??

"UHUH MUH PAINT  !! IS  FRESH !! I CAN STILL SMELL IT"! Well that Fuso camped the heal for the entire game - with 57.100 of 57.100 Health ofc. And yea @Saiyko was right. Mongday is real. I believe it now. Wasnt the only WTF moment for the day. :cap_fainting:

On top of that: We had a bot earlier in the OP. For the first time. I couldnt get my head around it - why does someone plant a bot in Operation? Then I remembered: There is the Mission for Royal Navy with the 10 stars. Well thx WG! You invaded the last mode that still was fun and made it another :etc_swear:fest! I <3 you too.

• Funny 1

[-CC-]
Players
81 posts
11,035 battles
On 10/7/2018 at 12:29 AM, Fatal_Ramses said:

Quick question on Operation Raptor... has this always been in it?

Commander Ship.jpg

It sails on the map border very quickly and you can't damage it.

There was a new secret achievement added in patch 0.7.7. This must be it.

Near each of the three possible exit points, just outside the map border, there are two small islands next to each other. This cartoon ship randomly appears sailing back and forth between them, maybe 20% of the time. You can in fact damage it too. It is impervious to gunfire, but you can damage it with torpedoes for 10 HP. Do it, and you get this:

insertcoin.png.20782d23e4033114a4c5b2240acfc566.png

If you play a carrier, you can order your planes to attack it automatically, and air dropped torpedoes can damage it, but you won't get the achievement. I tried. You need to use ship launched torpedoes, and that is much trickier, since you can't lock onto it.

Sign in to follow this