Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mashiiroo

About the radar...?

25 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
6 posts
874 battles

How do you guys counter this stupid radar when play as DD?

I use japanese DD since my first day in the game, now im using yugumo, so my HP and life is absurd. I cant do nothing when they press "win botton" radar. They spot me and then x5 ships target me so i get rekt.

How do you counter this? idk the range of that crap and how many uses have that but cmon man... its absurd, i cant use my smoke to evade that crap and some times, that radar still on after 30sc...

Im not trying to cry, but wtf... how can i counter this?

• Bad 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,951 posts
5,437 battles

Image result for bear grylls adapt

Players
3,443 posts
7,226 battles
6 minutes ago, _DeathWing_ said:

Image result for bear grylls adapt

Then start whine thread about DD ignoring caps, not spotting and surfing the borders.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[5D]
Players
371 posts
19,560 battles

The guy doesn't bother to learn radar ranges or durations and probably doesn't even know what ships have radar, then continues to whine about radar killing him lmao. 

[CATS]
Players
13,501 posts
10,352 battles
  • Try to stay out of radar range
  • Use 12 km torps to torp them out of radar range
  • Spot the radar ships and mark radar ships as focus targets
  • If you enter radar range, be ready to get out again and make sure that not many enemy can shoot you easily
  • If the situation allows it, bait the radar, run, wait, turn around

Players
730 posts
6,607 battles

The current radar meta is broken, which is why WG is going to change it. All you can do, in the meantime is adapt and do stuff like the above.

Players
1,193 posts
4,905 battles
6 minutes ago, Mr_Snoww said:

The guy doesn't bother to learn radar ranges or durations and probably doesn't even know what ships have radar, then continues to whine about radar killing him lmao. 

The guy has 850 games - You have 19K - Instead of insulting him how about actually teaching him what you've learnt in all those games, you know like a good community needs!

• Cool 2

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,034 posts
4,492 battles

Dear OP,

You have not enough battles, exp and game knowledge to be playing with yugumo If you ask me.

Yugumo is a monster but a very tough monster to be good in it with the current meta.

You need to learn,

who has radar, hydro, charges, ranges, durations.

If you wanna play high tier DDs.

you are just trying to walk in a minefield with a blindfold and 2 crutches.

and you said, you cannot even escape from radar with your smoke.

This sentence here clearly states there is something horribly wrong and I think it is the ignorance.

You need to learn so much more..

[CATS]
Players
13,501 posts
10,352 battles
7 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

The current radar meta is broken, which is why WG is going to change it. All you can do, in the meantime is adapt and do stuff like the above.

That is why the cruiser numbers went down and BB and DD numbers went up, because it is broken?

Slowly, but steadily, BB pound cruiser back into the position they came from.

Players
730 posts
6,607 battles
9 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

That is why the cruiser numbers went down and BB and DD numbers went up, because it is broken?

Go and argue with WG about it, bring a spreadsheet too if you like. The point is that they know that a DD radar'd in a cap has almost no chance of survival if focused by the enemy team and there is no effective counter, which is a broken mechanic.

The OP should probably go play Tier V-VI for a while. Lots of fun DDs at those Tiers, fewer radar ships. Fun!

[NED]
Players
4,003 posts
10,835 battles

First either you have done a stat reroll (B tester with 750 random matches?) or you haven't played much. Assuming the latter I'd say you have rushed the tiers too quickly and haven't build up enough player experience.

Regarding your question: carefully look at the teamlineup in the loading screen. Look how much radar ships they are having. A rule of thumb: almost all radar ships = island hugging HE spam pewpewers. Given time you'll know behind which island they always camp and work around that.

Furthermore: there is written nowhere you should rush into a cap like an idiot in the first minute. Disregard all the whining everywhere you're not a good "teamplayer" a.s.o. All that they mean with that is you're a good "team player" when you're willing to serve yourself as a meat shield so they can farm damage. In other words: if you find yourself in a radar infested enemy team match: just hold back your cards and do scouting first. No help? = no cap. Easy as that. The "capping wins games" has become too big of an obsession with much of the playerbase. Yes it's a important part of winning but having 2 ships sunk against 0 is far more important: it'll take "ages" before they have "cap pointed" that back.

Last: also take a good look at the enemy DD lineup and adjust your style accordingly. Now this is a tad too complicated to explain here (not feeling in creating a wall of txt here. You can find info of this elsewhere on the forum).

[_MIA_]
Players
2,837 posts
5,326 battles
10 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Go and argue with WG about it, bring a spreadsheet too if you like. The point is that they know that a DD radar'd in a cap has almost no chance of survival if focused by the enemy team and there is no effective counter, which is a broken mechanic.

Thats why they add more radar to the game :cap_yes:

[POI--]
Players
3,166 posts
4,314 battles
51 minutes ago, Mr_Snoww said:

With 800 something games, that player has maybe 1-2 lines in the higher tiers and none with radar. I got my first non-premium radar ship well beyond the 1k if not even 2k mark. And unless you have a radar ship, the game itself doesn't tell you ingame what kind of duration, number of consumables, etc radar has. For all intents and purposes, the game doesn't even tell you that radar exists.

So, for these people to learn, they either have to go search the wiki (if they know that such exists) or go on the boards... which they did. So, I'd hold back with such criticism.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
13,501 posts
10,352 battles
23 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

The point is that they know that a DD radar'd in a cap has almost no chance of survival if focused by the enemy team and there is no effective counter, which is a broken mechanic.

For almost no chance I survived that very often...

Radar does not help much when enemies do not have a firing solution on you.

Beta Tester
6 posts
874 battles

I already have shimakaze, and yeah, i rushed the tree of japanese DD. But not now, i left the game 1-2 years ago so now when i return, i got this problem.

With shimakaze i dont have problems, cuz i can torp from 20km or 18 with the skill and make my job easy when i want go for the cap or spot enemy ships. 

My problem is when i get radared x3 times or more in a row. Is not a big deal battle with only one radar or run when i have problem. 

And about that ppl who say "oh b player with 800 games... or "you should go to play with tier V ships" what is your problem? im here to play for fun and learn about this new system to enjoy my games.

thanks to all ppl who put guies, u are the real comunity here!

[OM]
Players
585 posts
10,656 battles
4 hours ago, Mashiiroo said:

As several other helpful people said, just to add

• be on their flank, so they actually have to turn their turrets and waste time, or dont do it all if they have other targets
  • bait it close to islands to hide behind during the duration

But changes might come to radar, according to the latest WG "leaks" "videos"

4 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

He asked a normal question without whining or bitching. You dont need to come here to extend your internet [edited]. I am sure you were an expert right from the start.

• Cool 3

Players
781 posts
11,695 battles
1 hour ago, Mashiiroo said:

With shimakaze i dont have problems, cuz i can torp from 20km or 18 with the skill and make my job easy when i want go for the cap or spot enemy ships.

OT: the torps of Shima have changed and afaik nobody uses the 20km torps anymore.

Maybe someone who has a Shima can explain better.

[SWTP]
Players
266 posts
5,622 battles
12 minuty temu, JG4_sKylon napisał:

OT: the torps of Shima have changed and afaik nobody uses the 20km torps anymore.

Maybe someone who has a Shima can explain better.

I think that for a while he will be better with 20km torps. Using from the flank he can hit something or at least force to show the broadside and stay alive. 

Beta Tester
271 posts
3,326 battles

I was once like you OP, wheb I had around 1200 battles I started playing DDs as my main class... I hated radar, still do, and radar made me lose my cool when playing DDs... 

Now, around 1800 battles later I’ve come to terms with radar, I still dont like how easy it is to use and I especially hate it in the late game. 

What did I do to be effective with radar cruisers on the enemy team? Pretty much what has been said already:

- Pay close attention to the team composition when the game starts. How many radars does the enemy have and what type (US CA/CL or RU CA/CL), what DDs does the enemy team have and whats their concealment? 

- Where did you spawn and how much of your team is with you.

- What caps are most likely going to be the focus of your team?

- Are there open water caps that you can contest with your concealment with good escape routes?

- If the cap closest to you has islands around it and the enemy team has radar ships murphy’s law should be your first thought, so dont contest the cap, go around it and spot the enemy team, especially in IJN DDs.

- When making a play, always have 2-3 escape routes planned if you happen to get radared

- Never sit in smoke, use it as a tool to disengange or help your team, if you can use TRB instead of smoke.

- Your team is your friend, if they start falling behind don’t keep pushing, just keep lighting up what you can and area deny with your torps.

- Communicate with your team, tell them what you intend to do, help them focus their fire they are most likely zoomed in where as you in a DD are more often than not zoomed out, ask them what they want you to do ( important to give them options to chose from so they dont just ask you to go suicide ). You’ll be surprised how much communication can do, sometimes teamwork actually happens and you start mad plays with BBs and Cruisers supporting you..

- and most importantly NEVER accept your team telling you to go cap an exposed cap and thus suiciding, you are afterall playing to have fun, and to win.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles
7 hours ago, Mashiiroo said:

How do you guys counter this stupid radar when play as DD?

I use japanese DD since my first day in the game, now im using yugumo, so my HP and life is absurd. I cant do nothing when they press "win botton" radar. They spot me and then x5 ships target me so i get rekt.

How do you counter this? idk the range of that crap and how many uses have that but cmon man... its absurd, i cant use my smoke to evade that crap and some times, that radar still on after 30sc...

1. It's no use knowing how many uses the enemy has. You won't get to count them and even if you could, they will have enough (especially with premium consumable and superintendent). So don't bother about the number of uses and always assume the enemy has another charge... and that it's ready unless it literally just went on CD - it's deceptive how fast the time flies and how fast the consumable reloads. Baiting a Radar works only short-term and the window for operating freely will likely prove shorter than you feel it would - unless you put a lot of effort into keeping track of enemy cooldowns. I never got to being anywhere near as through.

2. The specifics you NEED to know are as follows:

- a very rough estimate of how long the Radar will last. This is important for soviet Radars especially - US Radars basically last until you are dead or out of range, the only way to survive is to either be behind solid cover where nobody can shoot you or to leave the range

- as good as you can manage estimate of Radar ranges. It would've been best to learn the ranges as you reach deeper into high tiers and can meet them (so learn t7 ranges at t5, t8 ranges at t6 etc.) but since you're already at t9 (and assuming you want to keep playing high tiers), you really should learn 10 and t8 US Radar range - you meet them a lot and their Range is crucial because you CAN still play while keeping out of that range (or only skimming it a bit) while when getting caught by it you really need to know if you can try to run out of it or the only chance is to try and find cover. These two ranges are the most important. As for soviet Radars, you can start by just remembereing that it's REALLY long range - if soviet Radar-equipped cruiser is in first line then you are probably either within the range or too far to really count as participating in the battle. The nice thing about soviet Radars is that they don't last long - unless you get caught in a really bad spot, you can usually outlast them by dodging whatever gets to turn guns in your direction fast enough. It will hurt but it's less lethal, generally speaking (although if you're close and there are 5+ ships pointing guns in more or less the right direction from the start - you're dead.

3. Terrain. While islands don't block the Radar, they make it much harder for the enemies to shoot at you. When knowing that the enemy has Radars, it's good to always keep track of islands and enemy ships so that you can put the former between yourself and the latter. It's not foolproof but can sometimes help.

4. Terrain again. When Radared, you often need to trurn away and run to either leave the range (when playing against US Radars) or to dodge incoming fire for the duration (when caught by soviet Radar). If there's an island limiting your ability to perform these actions, consider yourself dead - so while islands can help you by sheltering from the enemy shells, they can also be absolutely lethal if you let them block your retreat.

5. Setting smoke and - to even bigger extent - capping are basically how you announce your presence (and intention to be killed) to enemy Radar ships. Radar cruisers like to approach caps (if hey can do so safely) because enemy trying to cap lets them Radar without the fear of wasting the consumable on poorly guessed position of enemy DDs. There are ways to actually use this against them and bait the Radar - but it's a high-risk advanced tactics that you probably shouldn't employ while struggling with the basics of anti-Radar play.

6. General situational awareness. In fact, this could perhaps be the only point on this list (others for most part are contained within). Basically, keep track of enemy Radar ships, friendly ships that might punish the Radar ship or at least scare them a little, be mindful to always have some escape routes. It's not easy but with some experience and dedication you'll find it easier to handle them... However - the dedication part is important. Just spamming matches won't really give you meaningful experience. You need to try to win and you need to remember - Radars aren't fun to play against, you are free to considered them overpowered but if you die to a Radar, it usually means that you made a mistake that could be avoided. Staying humble and focusing on your own shortcomings will help you improve your chances. Calling the thing a "win button" actually hurts you because by stating it like this, you more or less consciously allow yourself to just give up and takes the responsibility off your shoulders. While the current number of Radars sailing around coupled with the current Radar implementation might not be a problem of the game, it doesn't mean that getting rekt on regular basis isn't an l2p kind of problem too. Then again, you created a Forum thread where you are a bit salty but ask for advice more than you whine, so it's not that bad in your case :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,763 posts
6,397 battles

Change your Shima captain and your torpedoes btw. With Shima, the 12km are your safest choice. The 20km are spotted way too far, and are spread out too much at range. Just stay with your 12km and set your captain to look like something like this :

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000000011011000000000001119

Sign in to follow this