Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
internos5050

#OvechkinVid: masculinity from coldwars era, not esport era

14 comments in this topic

Players
15 posts
2,615 battles

Hey Community,
hey WG Team,

what are your feelings and what are you thinking about de Ovechkin Video?

When I first saw it, it made me feel in the wrong movie, thats not me, not even close.

E-Sport for me is beeing having fun with a lot of other people ill never met in reality, but i do respect (even their virutal beeing) - even if sometimes one drives me totaly mad.
Its beeing smart, or somtimes unbelivable stupid. Its a comfort zone, where I could be with the rest of the world, beeing just good fellas.

And so I much more see an Alexander Ovechkin, training with his mates, making charts on a flipboard,  laughing, then a close camerashot how the puk is going the right way to the goal,
but before hitting the line, cut! -  and seeing him and his teammates going out of the sportareana to the parking lot, meeting girlfriends, friends, familys etc.
(Its not about winning points, its about winning community)

Dear WG Team - what do you think about this picture?

• Funny 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles

Yea, it felt a bit off to be honest. They get Ovechkin which is nice, but the tone in the video... Prove myself? Maybe it's aimed toward a younger audience?

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
3 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Yea, it felt a bit off to be honest. They get Ovechkin which is nice, but the tone in the video... Prove myself? Maybe it's aimed toward a younger audience?

Dunno, I found the WoWS and Hokey being for true men in a the pop up message a bit more silly. Guess it's aimed at a male audience?

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

Dunno, I found the WoWS and Hokey being for true men in a the pop up message a bit more silly. Guess it's aimed at a male audience?

...or women wanting to be true men...? Maybe they're more progressive than we thought :cap_hmm:

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
24 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

...or women wanting to be true men...? Maybe they're more progressive than we thought :cap_hmm:

And what does true men mean? What are false men? And what for women that don't want to be masculine? Am I playing the wrong game?

Players
447 posts
4 hours ago, Riselotte said:

nahh...is not about men or women...this game is played by all! guess they could have just as easily have asked Naomi Osaka (tennis star) as vid example. only thing: tennis is not a teamsport (WOWS is team-play)

image.thumb.jpeg.a4d201ef9ea28dbbfe30985485fde903.jpeg

...so they asked  Ovechkin to associate with WOWS  (=afterall, ice hockey=teamplay! & Ovechkin = legendary good sportsman!!, highest level). Besides that: I realy respect Ovechkin, character-person, legendary Ice Hockey player...a real super-star, great example for "promoting striving for higher goals, striving to evolve oneself, setting goals (= as part of being a member of a team)". Good vid, i like it, vid promotes good/positive things.

anyway, that's my take on it all, nice vid

[BYOB]
Players
2,715 posts
9,863 battles

A Russian company makes a promotional vid with a Russian sports celebrity, most likely by using a Russian media company.

And western men are dumbfounded by the form of the  message.

This video is clearly based on expectations of masculinity anchored in Russian culture, which according to scientists in Russia and beyond is only distantly related to European culture (see claims of Turanism).

[4_0_4]
Players
3,785 posts
10,363 battles

Loooks like a severe clash of cultural differences.

Players
548 posts
On 10/6/2018 at 8:55 AM, internos5050 said:

Dear WG Team - what do you think about this picture?

He looks simple and missing some teeth, maybe hes a reflection of the ideal WOWS player?? Thick but loaded

This must be a recruitment drive then

Players
548 posts
9 hours ago, Riselotte said:

And what does true men mean? What are false men? And what for women that don't want to be masculine? Am I playing the wrong game?

How would you feminize WOWS, since clearly you are offended??

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
38 minutes ago, HMS_Argosax said:

I'm not offended, just confused. And I'd just keep the silly statements out, not make more of them.

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
14 hours ago, HMS_Argosax said:

Maybe add Japanese schoolgirls in some manner? :cap_hmm:   

...oh, nvm they already did that.

19 hours ago, Aragathor said:

A Russian company makes a promotional vid with a Russian sports celebrity, most likely by using a Russian media company.

And western men are dumbfounded by the form of the  message.

This video is clearly based on expectations of masculinity anchored in Russian culture, which according to scientists in Russia and beyond is only distantly related to European culture (see claims of Turanism).

Maybe they're trying to even out all the weeb content?

[BYOB]
Players
2,715 posts
9,863 battles
43 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Maybe they're trying to even out all the weeb content?

With an ice rink on a Lexington? :Smile_amazed:

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles
On 10/8/2018 at 5:38 PM, Aragathor said:

With an ice rink on a Lexington? :Smile_amazed:

Well, I'm getting this ad shown to me before every nhl video I see on youtube now. Maybe they are on to something.... anime and ice-hockey :Smile_amazed:

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this