Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GiZmO_DK

about the light its so close, but no cigar

19 comments in this topic

Question

Players
8 posts
1,147 battles
so i like to know why you missed out this detail
22. Visibility of lights
Lights must be bright enough to be visible as follows[11][page needed]
Light type Vessels 50 metres (164 ft) or more in length Vessels between 12–50 metres (39–164 ft) in length Vessels less than 12 metres (39 ft) in length
Masthead light 6 nautical miles 5 miles; except for vessels less than 20 metres (66 ft), 3 miles 2 miles
Sidelight 3 miles 2 miles 1 mile
Towing light 3 miles 2 miles 2 miles
White, red, green or yellow all-around light 3 miles 2 miles 2 miles
23. Lights displayed by power-driven vessels underway
  • A power-driven vessel underway must display:
    • a masthead light forward;
    • If over 50 metres (164 ft) length, then also a second masthead light aft and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 50 metres in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such light but may do so;
    • sidelights;
    • a sternlight.
  • A hovercraft must also display an all-round flashing yellow light.
  • A wing-in-ground craft must also display a bright all-round flashing red light when taking off, landing, or flying near the surface.
  • A power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres (39.4 ft) may display only an all-round white light and sidelights. However, in the case of a skiff a wooden clinker rowing boat which falls into this category only needs to be capable of showing a white light.
  • A power-driven vessel of less than 7 metres (23.0 ft) whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots (13 km/h; 8 mph) must be capable of showing a white light

18 answers to this question

Players
8 posts
1,147 battles

my point is its not right thats its 

btw im bin on a maritime college and bin saling for over 10 years

[HAIFU]
Beta Tester
318 posts
6,548 battles

I think he's arguing that, because a naval law dictates that vessels >50m (which would be all ships ingame, I think very few are less than 100m in length) must have lights visibile up to 10.8km away so as to prevent collisions, ships ingame must also be visible at this range.

This law does not apply to warships, to the best of my understanding, due to the principle of sovereign immunity applied to government warships. Many navies make a best effort to comply with COLREGS and other rules set out by the IMO but are under no requirement to do so.

[CATS]
Players
13,500 posts
10,344 battles

We do not have night battles in random.

Further points to consider:

• why did ships have camouflage?
  • what is the purpose of lights? Is that something you want as a ship captain during wartime?

[HAIFU]
Beta Tester
318 posts
6,548 battles
2 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

and the quoted rules were established 1972...

The regulations from which that rule is quoted were established some time in the 19th century, I believe they were published by the IMO in 1972.

Players
8 posts
1,147 battles

ColonelPete what is the purpose of lights?  are you kidding its called (Navigation light) all so the glass is painted not the navigation lantern its self, plz ColonelPete  get the fact right before being a [edited] ok  btw lights are on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Regulations_for_Preventing_Collisions_at_Sea

Part A – General[edit]

1. Application
(a) These rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels.
(b) Nothing in these Rules shall interfere with the operation of special rules made by an appropriate authority for roadsteads, harbours, rivers, lakes, or inland waterways connected with the high seas and navigable by seagoing vessels. Such special rules shall conform as closely as possible to these Rules.
(c) Nothing in these Rules shall interfere with the operation of any special rule made by the government of any State with respect to additional station or signal lights, shapes or whistle signals for ships of war and vessels proceeding under convoy, or with respect to additional station or signal lights or shapes for fishing vessels engaged in fishing as a fleet. These additional station or signal lights, shapes or whistle signals shall, so far as possible, be such that they cannot be mistaken for any light, shape, or signal authorised elsewhere under these Rules
(d) Traffic separation schemes may be adopted by the Organization for the purpose of these Rules.
(e) Whenever the Government concerned shall have determined that a vessel of any special construction or purpose cannot comply with the provisions of any of these Rules with respect to the number, position, range, or arc of visibility of lights or shapes, as well as to the disposition and characteristics of sound-signalling appliances, such vessel shall comply with such other provisions in regard to the number, position, range or arc of visibility of lights or shapes, as well as to the disposition and characteristics of sound-signalling appliances, as her Government shall have determined to be the closest possible compliance with these Rules in respect of that vessel.

[CATS]
Players
13,500 posts
10,344 battles
14 minutes ago, GiZmO_DK said:

ColonelPete what is the purpose of lights?  are you kidding its called (Navigation light) all so the glass is painted not the navigation lantern its self, plz ColonelPete  get the fact right before being a [edited] ok 

I did not state facts, apart from the lack of appearance of night battles in random. I asked questions to help you find the answer to your problem. 

You seem to be under the impression that using lights during the night is a good idea during wartime.

Players
8 posts
1,147 battles

dont matter its the law even in war times lights have to be on and you didt not answer my question you insulted me by talking to me like im clueless

[CATS]
Players
13,500 posts
10,344 battles

You did not ask me a question.

And yes, many ships and airplanes turned their position lights off when in combat areas, unless the planned to become easy targets.

Players
8 posts
1,147 battles

the right answer to this  wot will be (we dont not have night map so there is no need for lights)

What is your point?  so wrong answers 

We do not have night battles in random (this was the right answer but then you went [edited] mode and add that under)

Further points to consider:

why did ships have camouflage?

what is the purpose of lights? 
Is that something you want as a ship captain during wartime?

[HAIFU]
Beta Tester
318 posts
6,548 battles
4 minutes ago, GiZmO_DK said:

no im not

From the start you have made very little sense, your original post was a quote from modern COLREGs and a question "why is this missing?" without every explaining what this is or why whatever it is should be included.

And, as I have stated, it is not a legal requirement for warships to follow these regulations even during peacetime. Governments do attempt to equip warships in compliance with these regulations but when you design a vessel so that it is difficult to see that conflicts with suggestions regarding making a vessel easier to see. Most warships don't even use naked eye detection and instead use electronic identification (with friend-or-foe recognition systems, etc) that would ignore simple mast lights anyway.

But why don't you explain in your own words what exactly you think is missing and why? Bearing in mind WoWS is not a historical simulator.

Players
8 posts
1,147 battles

i know its not historical simulator but its pains me to see the small detail put in to the ships and then missing out on somthing as improtens of the lights

btw didt not copy COLREGs as as i already know them as i went to a maritime colleges

so i like to know why you missed out this detail <---<< what do this mean

[HAIFU]
Beta Tester
318 posts
6,548 battles

Do you want all ships to have lights?

Do you want the ship lights to emit light?

Do you want ships to be detected from the recommended distances because they have lights?

Sign in to follow this