You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aragathor

Alexander Ovechkin - Dual Russian/American special captain

77 comments in this topic

[BYOB]
Players
2,673 posts
9,762 battles

So WG goes out on a limb and will introduce a dual nationality captain in the form of Alexander Ovechkin, a Russian hockey player. In the past only HSF captains could command ships of two nations, and AFAIK it was limited to HSF ships (Graf Spee and Harekaze). This also discredits WG's claims that Commonwealth captains cannot be modfied to be usable on Commonwealth and British ships.

Ovechkin will come with improved skills, better Expert Marksman and Survivability Expert, making him a good choice for destroyers. There will be three different copies of him available:

-Russian (10p) - free through a set of missions, activated through the website.

-American (10p)- rewarded through a collection.

-Dual-nationality American/Russian (15p) - unique event container drop.

All three captains will change the tracer color to blue.

The event has more, but you can read it in the news-piece here - https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/earn-your-greatness/

Looking at the skills I already knew where to put him, having a Russian captain with improved EM and SE screams to me "seal-clubbing time!". This captain will go directly to my Gremy/Lemmingrad and stay there.

Where are you going to put him? And are you going to grab him?

• Cool 10

Beta Tester
1,138 posts
1,352 battles
11 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

This also discredits WG's claims that Commonwealth captains cannot be modfied to be usable on Commonwealth and British ships.

This should happen IMO, can't see there being a commonwealth tree any time soon.

• Cool 2

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,554 posts
4,752 battles
22 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

..... This also discredits WG's claims that Commonwealth captains cannot be modfied to be usable on Commonwealth and British ships.......

10 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

This should happen IMO, can't see there being a commonwealth tree any time soon.

Totally agree, 200% and more.

[TTT]
Players
3,538 posts
7,443 battles

not gonna bother much with this event... I'll click the button if I remember to do so, but that's about all I'll invest... if I get something out of it by playing normally, okay, and if not then I wont lose any sleep.

There are just way too many events these days to care about all, or any, of them (the hilariously overburdened mission UI that can't even display half of them aside)...

• Cool 4

[BYOB]
Players
2,673 posts
9,762 battles
1 minute ago, Tyrendian89 said:

There are just way too many events these days to care about all, or any, of them (the hilariously overburdened mission UI that can't even display half of them aside)...

That's a growing problem, especially since people have remarked on the fact that there is no room to take a break which makes the game tiresome.

I think WG should really tone down the amount of events running at the same time.

• Cool 2

[TENGO]
Players
1,451 posts
8,106 battles
2 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

not gonna bother much with this event... I'll click the button if I remember to do so, but that's about all I'll invest... if I get something out of it by playing normally, okay, and if not then I wont lose any sleep.

Same, plus enhanced with my inability to cope with a frigging ice hockey player as a captain, which makes me care less than Donald Jay about his gas mileage.

Yes I know it's a game, but WTF?

• Cool 4

[_XII_]
Players
254 posts
2,284 battles

Luckily I'm only doing JPN and the French MN. I can't do much with this guy. 

Maybe I can get some (premium) ships out of the containers that I can sell for silver. :cat_bubble:

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles
14 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

That's a growing problem, especially since people have remarked on the fact that there is no room to take a break which makes the game tiresome.

I think WG should really tone down the amount of events running at the same time.

I disagree. I don't have enough time to do everything myself, I can't play that much, but why would you think too many missions or events is a bad thing? It's not like you're penalized for not doing them, so why bother?

Let people who have a lot of free time enjoy this rich in game content as they like it.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,239 posts
7,932 battles

...some celeb with no connection to naval history.

But I guess that in RU and CA the players will go apeshit over this - hopefully.

• Cool 2

Players
1,863 posts
5,852 battles
1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

59 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

I disagree. I don't have enough time to do everything myself, I can't play that much, but why would you think too many missions or events is a bad thing? It's not like you're penalized for not doing them, so why bother?

Let people who have a lot of free time enjoy this rich in game content as they like it.

I kinda tend to agree with both of you. All these events are, for some at least, hard to skip as you'd get a feeling of missing out without an opportunity to gain the same advantage again. And I've felt worn down a bit for a longer time?

Spoiler

part of it was self-inflicted though, I just had to grind 2 tier 9 French ships within 2 weeks as I wanted extra supercontainers :Smile_teethhappy:

Spoiler

I succeeded :Smile_hiding:

But I have to agree with elblancogringo that having rich content may cater to a broader range of gamers, though personally I'd wish more of this content was permanent, with the choice to grind whatever event one wanted, whenever I wanted.

In RPG games the trap is to want everything, but it's very very hard to do as it requires enormous amount of dedecation.

I find it very hard to play all the ships that I like. Barely took out my Scharnhorst, despite me liking the ship a lot :Smile_great:

But tbh, when I first read about it, I was more like "What the puck is going on? :Smile_amazed:"

• Cool 7

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,239 posts
7,932 battles

Oh - and btw I still dislike the concept of special captains that aren't permanently available.

• Cool 11

[BYOB]
Players
2,673 posts
9,762 battles
2 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

But tbh, when I first read about it, I was more like "What the puck is going on? :Smile_amazed:"

Me too, but then I realized that:

-Two of my commanders are anime high schoolers.

-One Japanese cruiser is commanded by a cat.

-My Tirpitz has Tesla coils running down the length of the ship.

-While the Charles Martell looks like an Egyptian tomb.

The captain looks normal in the uniform, the dual-nation captain looks silly but that's his gimmick.

1 minute ago, aboomination said:

Oh - and btw I still dislike the concept of special captains that aren't permanently available.

That's a problem with such events. I really rejoiced when John Doe was added to the Arsenalm because I didn't play when he was available.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,239 posts
7,932 battles
4 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

That's a problem with such events. I really rejoiced when John Doe was added to the Arsenalm because I didn't play when he was available.

Well - at least I won't have to deal with the horrid dual nation version since it'll be likely to receive both the NA and RU version.

Players
1,863 posts
5,852 battles
14 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Me too, but then I realized that:

-Two of my commanders are anime high schoolers.

-One Japanese cruiser is commanded by a cat.

-My Tirpitz has Tesla coils running down the length of the ship.

-While the Charles Martell looks like an Egyptian tomb.

The captain looks normal in the uniform, the dual-nation captain looks silly but that's his gimmick.

I do like my cat commander though, even though with mine, I ended up putting on the tier 3 DD :Smile_teethhappy: (with the steampunk camo :Smile-_tongue:)

I even have the Nelson anime chick at 19pt on my Lion lol

I actually want some of those other perma camos, but can't spend too much on them.

The dual nation is very interesting, if only as it also has these buffed skills. I hope it won't become a P2W though.

Too bad Purrfurst won't be a special commander :cat_cool:

[ONIX]
Players
1,073 posts
8,506 battles

I will put him in command of the tier X Russian BB so that it has 154,000 hp instead of 150,000. Because every little helps.

• Funny 3

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,239 posts
7,932 battles
3 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

rCcnHXG.jpg

RJHZPYw.gif

I'm also sad - in case of a dev strike with AP bombs there should be some music playing/crowd cheering going on!

For everyone on both teams to enjoy ofc.

[BS4]
Players
658 posts
4,885 battles

rCcnHXG.jpg

Can you imagine the sheer chaos!! the planes will just loose traction and just slide off the edge on take off or upon landing just completely loose it and plough strait in to the superstructure causing you to set your self on fire and at the same time, take out all your own airplanes  in the process..... genius:Smile_teethhappy:

Players
24 posts
2,358 battles

An ice hockey player and an ice rink on a CV deck?!? Seriously WG ?!?

What has this to do with warships? Steven Seagal was ok because of the movie with the Missouri. But an ice hockey player ?!? WTF?!?! 

Players
1,574 posts
3,385 battles
1 hour ago, SeaWolf7 said:

rCcnHXG.jpg...ARE YOU SERIOUS?

so...another mandatory hide option in the port..how nice

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
4,534 posts
4,756 battles
3 hours ago, Aragathor said:

So WG goes out on a limb and will introduce a dual nationality captain in the form of Alexander Ovechkin, a Russian hockey player. In the past only HSF captains could command ships of two nations, and AFAIK it was limited to HSF ships (Graf Spee and Harekaze). This also discredits WG's claims that Commonwealth captains cannot be modfied to be usable on Commonwealth and British ships.

Ovechkin will come with improved skills, better Expert Marksman and Survivability Expert, making him a good choice for destroyers. There will be three different copies of him available:

-Russian (10p) - free through a set of missions, activated through the website.

-American (10p)- rewarded through a collection.

-Dual-nationality American/Russian (15p) - unique event container drop.

All three captains will change the tracer color to blue.

The event has more, but you can read it in the news-piece here - https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/earn-your-greatness/

Looking at the skills I already knew where to put him, having a Russian captain with improved EM and SE screams to me "seal-clubbing time!". This captain will go directly to my Gremy/Lemmingrad and stay there.

Where are you going to put him? And are you going to grab him?

What does a hockey player have to do with warships?