Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralDing3Ling

The amount of RNG in this game

23 comments in this topic

[OSWEG]
Players
159 posts
3,242 battles

Am I the only one here who thinks the amount of RNG is a way too high factor for a competitive PVP game such as this? I mean Ive lost a majority of games the last 2 days or so that have been completely down to bad RNG. Not bad teammates, not bad play, not bad ships, just plain and simple RNG.

Sometimes good RNG makes you devstrike, sometimes good RNG makes you detonate. Sometimes bad RNG makes you want to pull your hair out. Most computergames ofcourse has an RNG factor but to me it seems like its 80% RNG and the rest skill. Some ship classes more so than others.

Today its come to the point where it almost feels like something is working against me on purpose (tinfoil hat). But seriously. I had a game earlier today in my Missouri. First I fire at a broadside Buffalo 9 km away, I take away 12kish of his hp (no citadels). Hes then left with 2000 hp and manages to get away. I then turn around to help with a cap, I see a broadside Ibuki 5 km away almost stationary with 1/3 of his hp left. Great I think hes dead. So I fire, I take away 4kish of his hp, hes left with 1k hp and gets away. Out from the island comes an almost full hp Seattle 8-9 km away. I fire at him and do around 20kish damage, and then I fire again and do 10kish. Hes now left with 5-10k hp. The next 3!!! Salvos I do 1080 damage per salvo. He survives and they win the game by capping because Ive now failed to kill 3 cruisers on point blank range.

And this has been the story the whole day, with various ships not only Missouri. Where as yesterday it was the opposite. I won everything, citadeled like hell, had insane luck, several devstrikes etc. The day before that, same as today, TERRIBLE RNG. The WHOLE day.

Like Ive always said, tinfoil hat or not but there is a pattern in winrates and RNG. Its never different from game to game, its different from day to day. It doesnt matter how much you play on a bad day because that bad day will always be that bad day and you will lose EVERY SINGLE game you play. The day after youll win EVERY SINGLE game you play.

Am I alone in this? Im sorry for ranting but I need to vent I am so frikkin frustrated right now.

• Cool 3

[NED]
Players
4,002 posts
10,835 battles

No OP. You're not alone. For a while i'm having the same feeling about AP. I get it: not every salvo can be a citadel or device strike. The amount of insane hits is getting to me too. In the opening phase I don't even bother to load AP on BB's. This noob fires HE the first 4 or 5 salvos. At least to do some dmg. After that indeed those weird hits a lot of times which you mention. Those thrilling 1080 hits on broadside sitting ducks or getting citadels on perfectly angled targets, by barely scratching their rear flagpole. Same story on the recieving side. I'm feeling I'm fighting RNG way to much like you described.

Players
361 posts
4,528 battles

Iowa/Missouri guns are known to be the worst performing ones at point blank low armour targets. Not RNG. It's the ship. Story of my grind in the Iowa, to be precise. Overpen city.

• Cool 1

Players
203 posts
4 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Iowa/Missouri guns are known to be the worst performing ones at point blank low armour targets. Not RNG. It's the ship. Story of my grind in the Iowa, to be precise. Overpen city.

Same experience as me. Below 8km to a cruiser or DD and it’s Overpen City, Population: You.

• Cool 1

[_MIA_]
Players
2,829 posts
5,298 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

Am I the only one here who thinks the amount of RNG is a way too high factor for a competitive PVP game such as this?

You stated the reason why this game cant ever be competetive like other games.

It would be like playing a FPS and sometimes when you make a headshot RNG says nope, you hit his foot, or didnt hit at all! If it comes down who gets better RNG by hitting more, or even more so by starting more fires, than there is no competetive gaming possible. You can only influence the game so much.

Sure there is skill involved in WoWs too, but even when being a better team you might just lose because of RNG.

• Cool 1

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
397 posts
2,620 battles

@ OP Try Hearthstone and then lets talk about RNG. 

I think it aint that bad in WoWs honestly. Were sailing on a flat carpet instead trough waves. A bit of RNG upholds the elusion of shells missing due to waves and currents. 

About dev strikes etc. I don't think the game would be enjoyable with a flat static healthbar. 

@DFens_666
That would be like playing PUGB or any "battle royal"  game for that matter. 

Since everyone these days want to uphold the elusion of not sucking balls in video games, devs add RNG to flatten out skill gaps. 

It's been a thing in plenty of popular games for years now. Not the majority thankfully but a good chunk.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,637 posts
13,063 battles
2 hours ago, EgyptOverseer said:

That's actually not RNG tho?

I mean ok, the amount of shells hitting the waterline to arm the fuse and then scoring citadels is RNG, but penetration is a calculation without any RNG involved.

All BBs will overpen at point blank range above the waterline btw unless the target is heavily armored. Can make for some interesting situations where broadsiding is actually safer than angling.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles
4 hours ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

Am I the only one here who thinks the amount of RNG is a way too high factor for a competitive PVP game such as this? I mean Ive lost a majority of games the last 2 days or so that have been completely down to bad RNG. Not bad teammates, not bad play, not bad ships, just plain and simple RNG.

Sometimes good RNG makes you devstrike, sometimes good RNG makes you detonate. Sometimes bad RNG makes you want to pull your hair out. Most computergames ofcourse has an RNG factor but to me it seems like its 80% RNG and the rest skill. Some ship classes more so than others.

And yet people pull off very good (and very bad) winrates and the stat difference between a great player and a very bad one is like heaven and earth. And that's despite the fact that other than RNG you have other equalizing factors like random MM... So no. It's 90% skill and 10% RNG at best (or, well, worst).

It's true that WoWs has quite a lot of RNG, mind you (while the truly competitive games basically aim to have none at all) but it's unavoidable - RNG is a big part of balancing. Can you even imagine balancing BBs that have literally no dispersion, every shell landing exactly where you aimed?

The one part of RNG that WG should really get rid of is detonations - because this is just an instant death mechanic not dependent on the ability of any of the parties involved. But the devstrikes and I-got-screwed-out-of-my-devstrike salvoes are good or even necessary - because you need RNG to balance these big guns and if you do things randomly, you get extremely good and extremely bad "rolls" - it's just an unavoidable part of "rolling dice".

• Cool 3

[JRM]
Players
654 posts
12,199 battles

Missouria guns can be, well - troll (despite having the dispersion module) day before yesterday i did 2 battles in it first 19k damage, second something like 160k damage :cap_yes:

AP only ofc

Players
312 posts
11,748 battles

Well, unfortunately yes, it does play a big part and it does drive you up the wall sometimes. But let's not forget about those beautiful salvos that sent off the enemy player back to port. We just tend to remember the bollocking, the bad experiences. 

RnG plays a big role as a balancing mechanic and it is not going out soon. I dread to think what would happen with competitive part of the game if everyone was in control of railguns... Games would be over very quickly. 

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,251 posts
7,317 battles

Funnily... against light US cruisers, you want them to angle before you fire... if you fire full broadside from close range, you get nothing but tears... same thing against RN CL... I am always like "Hey Mino... please turn for me.... please turn for me"

Players
203 posts

How come when I am watching Flamu in his Conqueror he gets 2 shells on an Iowa and gets 2 fires but then I hit an Iowa with 8 shells and get 0 fires? It wasn't because he had damage control on because the second salvo with 5 shells hitting done no fires 30 seconds later either. 

Players
559 posts
4,663 battles

RNG is what makes bad players to have sucess ...

In a pure skill based game bad players would never reach anything.

Whats the least RNG depend class ingame? 

Its CVs (better CV torp bombers) - oh suprise the class with the highest skill gap.

RNG is totaly needed to prevent good players from totaly dominating bad players.

Thats the reason for the 2 tier MM too .... bad players being top tier and having luck can have good games from time to time without any skill involved.

--> motivation to go on

--> money

We will for sure see more and more RNG the bigger the game gets - they need all this really bad players to have sucess (the players in game and the company as a buisness model)

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,113 posts
2,167 battles
16 hours ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

Ive now failed to kill 3 cruisers on point blank range.

Sounds like you are too close and just gotten overpens

[OSC]
Players
2,728 posts
10,052 battles
12 hours ago, eliastion said:

It's true that WoWs has quite a lot of RNG, mind you (while the truly competitive games basically aim to have none at all) but it's unavoidable - RNG is a big part of balancing. Can you even imagine balancing BBs that have literally no dispersion, every shell landing exactly where you aimed?

Yes I can.
But there's just so much more then only dispersion. Every single thing you do in this game is a dice roll. Soon you will have to roll the dice when turning your ship to see if its gonna turn left or right.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[POI--]
Players
3,150 posts
4,302 battles

Frankly, the main RNG element I'd take out of the game is detonations. The rest is within reasonable limits. I find when a Gneisenau for example loses to a Shchors in a gunfight, it's rarely because German RNG dispersion and more because the Gneisenau was crap. RNG mainly decides how much hp is lost in the process. And good players know how to account for it and reduce the impact RNG has on their performance.

[OSWEG]
Players
159 posts
3,242 battles

I agree that some RNG is needed and I do enjoy that, just as frustrating salvos that miss or do no damage are makes up for how pleasent those sweet salvos are that devstrike people.

HOWEVER.

And this might be only me but I never ever get the same amount of luck both ways in ONE game, its always one full game where I cant hit anything or do any damage at all. The next game I can devstrike or citadel from 25 km away.

And usually that RNG decides the outcome of the game. I feel like Im good enough that I more than not pull my weight, I have a decent winrate and a good knowledge in the game. But I have worked hard to get to that point, thats why its so extremely frustrating when your hands are tied because of matches with constantly bad RNG, like super bad RNG.

And Ive noticed patterns in this. For example times around 8-9 am up to like 6-7 pm I usually have good RNG, I do well and win alot. Between 6-7 pm up to when I usually go to bed at 11-12 its mostly a disaster, horrific teams, horrific RNG.

This is mostly BBs however, DDs have a much lower RNG factor and cruisers are somewhere in the middle.

Players
1,175 posts
3,402 battles

Oof, I had a battle in Gallant the other day where I was going to cap the D point on Land of Fire after the enemy team lemminged to the western flank.

I knew the enemy Anshan was coming, so I pre-emptively launched my torps around the corner of the island and gave him a nice tight spread to try and get through.

As he rounds the corner we spot each other at the same time and he eats one of my fish, so naturally I start letting him eat some lead too.

Baring in mind I'm basically on full health at the start of this, I take a nasty hit from the enemy Fusou, leaving me on roughly the same HP as the Anshan is.

We're trading DPM and I manage to get him down to about 200HP and at this point my aim seemingly turns into absolute garbage and whenever I do score hits, they keep on hitting his damage-saturated bow for 0damage (although I swear most of them hit him amidships, an area that can't be saturated).:cap_wander_2:

It was ridiculous, I was basically shouting at the screen for him to die and couldn't do an effing thing.:Smile_izmena:

Well, long story short, he bugs out to go to C cap and I get murdered by Fusou secondaries (I smoked up on about 50hp inside the cap and misjudged how quickly he could turn to avoid my torpedoes).:Smile_facepalm:

Had any of my shots actually been on target/done damage to that Anshan I don't think my team would have lost quite so badly.:cap_viking:

Spoiler

Yes, I know I could have switched to AP, but at the time my thoughts were "it'll probably bounce" and knowing how bad my luck appeared to be for that knifefight, I bet they probably would have.:cap_hmm:

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles
20 hours ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

It doesnt matter how much you play on a bad day because that bad day will always be that bad day and you will lose EVERY SINGLE game you play. The day after youll win EVERY SINGLE game you play.

Am I alone in this?

OP, last weekend I did 22 games, I won 21, lost only once. I was like, wtf is happening??

Then on Monday evening, really happy, I decided to buy the Hood. I've done 6 games with my beautiful new ship... 6 defeats... now that's not a good start for my stats in that ship :cap_haloween:  my team died massively in each and every games in 6 to 10 minutes. Nothing I could do. 

You're not alone. The primal RNG is the teammates you're getting.

• Cool 1

[OSWEG]
Players
159 posts
3,242 battles
8 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

OP, last weekend I did 22 games, I won 21, lost only once. I was like, wtf is happening??

Then on Monday evening, really happy, I decided to buy the Hood. I've done 6 games with my beautiful new ship... 6 defeats... now that's not a good start for my stats in that ship :cap_haloween:  my team died massively in each and every games in 6 to 10 minutes. Nothing I could do. 

Yea isnt that annoying. I had a similar experience when I was grinding the Iowa. I liked the ship, I did good in it, great average damage, yet I have 30% winrate.... Overall throu the entire grind.

And yea I have a similar experience in my Hood aswell. I want to like that ship but its just plagued by bad RNG, it seems to always end up with horrific teams that completely vaporizes within seconds.

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
397 posts
2,620 battles
21 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

Sometimes it is like playing poker. You can be dealt a couple of bad hands in a row. 

Sign in to follow this