Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Snoww

Ranked season 10 (CVs perspective)

38 comments in this topic

[5D]
Players
379 posts
19,606 battles

shot-18_10.03_19_13.32-0646.thumb.jpg.865268fd27fd43f66fc632eb27eae379.jpg

I ranked out this season pretty much only in a CV (apart from the last few games) and thought i would share the "interesting" experience it entailed.

Getting from rank 13 to 10 was relatively easy as the level of CV game play and general play was very poor, therefore i had little trouble carrying teams. Also getting into games was much quicker as there was obviously more people playing CVs at those ranks who were "trying them out in ranked" (which i do not recommend you do). All in all i didn't get too much salt from playing at these ranks and it was easy going.

Moving on to rank 10-5. As i got to this bracket very quickly there were a fair amount very competitive CV players in the queue, however fewer and further between. Therefore this meant that the team line ups and positioning of the team became vastly more important as it made the difference between having air control and being able to strike targets/protect your team. I know it may come as a shock to a lot of people but yes, your positioning was very influential to how and where we could position our planes and how we had to play.

It was a very welcomed sight to see your team communicating how they would position to lock the enemy CV out (despite how rare this was) and tell you as the CV what their intentions were. it was also nice to see your team taking your advice when you told them not to go off alone, not to use def AA on torp bombers etc. However, past rank 10 was when the hostilities started to come, even before the game had started. I would see people flame both CVs all match for just bringing a CV into the game. And when people died to an enemy CV attack they would certainly let you know about it in every way possible and start calling you every name under the sun just because you didn't protect them whilst you were trying to do 10 other things at once. 

But again, i got through the 10-5 bracket reasonably quickly once a few more people filtered down to make getting a match a bit faster.

Now we get to the 5-1 bracket, and the first major thing i noticed here were the insane queue times. on average i would wait about 15 minutes for a game (sometimes up to 40 minutes) due to people leaving the queue as soon as they saw a CV in it which was extremely frustrating. The other major thing i noticed were the increase in the popularity of Worcesters. Now i dont now if that is because people switched to a Worcesters when they saw a CV in queue or if they were just more popular amongst the higher ranks (probably both) but i definitely noticed more of them, having had games with 3 Worcesters each side and being the one to kill all 3 Worcesters in a CV which i found quite funny. 

In this bracket most of the CVs you would face would be super unicum as expected so it mostly came down to the team line up and how much your team listened and didnt yolo in or sit back too much and not provide AA bubbles for you to work around.

As expected the salt and flaming from people at this bracket increased ten fold when they realised a CV had the audacity to invade their game. I was actually surprised that even some very good players had no clue how to play with a CV in the game and would go out their way to make sure that we had a very stressful game, at least in the chat window. But there were some people who understood what they had to do and would make sure the team stuck together and if they were in AA ships they would provide support to BBs and DDs etc.  I will say this though, most enemy CVs i came up against were quite polite as im sure they knew my struggle and had empathy, some i even had after game chats with discussing how the game went and some even asked me for some tips which i happily gave them. 

But back teams knowing how to play in a CV game. in this bracket i would have to write up a wall of text in chat explaining to my team exactly what to do otherwise it would be complete chaos, i just wish you could copy and paste things into in game chat, that would have made this season so much easier. Each map usually had a specific tactic that would almost always work in a CV game if executed correctly, so i would try to get my team to follow the tactics as much as possible, which worked unless people didn't speak English which was very irritating as communication is vital in a CV game, or if someone else had a bright idea of splitting up and "flanking" which i can tell you from countless failed attempts of very salty people on my team, it doesn't work.

But in the end i managed to get to rank 1 in a respectable 110 games with most of my nerves still intact, just about.

I know this may seem like a bit of a moaning thread, but i am just telling you what i experienced in ranked, nothing more nothing less. so take that as you will.

This wasn't a very long synopsis, because i just brushed over most of the main points that stood out during ranked. If i went into detail about them i would be here for hours writing this.

If there are any other CV players who have had a different experience please share it bellow. 

• Cool 8

Players
27 posts
98 battles

This seems about accurate. Players have no idea how influential they are to a CV's game, nor how to effect it. It is nightmarish to play a CV and to run into teams who will just hate you, even though you have nothing to do with their loss. Sadly, not much a CV player can do about it besides from soldiering on. How much Karma did you lose, by the way?

[5D]
Players
379 posts
19,606 battles

6 minutes ago, megaducky said:

This seems about accurate. Players have no idea how influential they are to a CV's game, nor how to effect it. It is nightmarish to play a CV and to run into teams who will just hate you, even though you have nothing to do with their loss. Sadly, not much a CV player can do about it besides from soldiering on. How much Karma did you lose, by the way?

overall i think i actually gained about 40 karma over the whole season. but it fluctuated quite a lot lol. 

• Cool 1

[BUSHI]
Players
98 posts
6,353 battles

Why they still allow carriers to play ranked is beyond me.

Two blobs sitting 15km away from the neutral cap, while 1 person is trying to get the home cap without being devastated.

Then it's just a blob staring contest for the remainder of the game. If you don't blob you lose.

Retarded.

And to the people complementing cv players:

- get real, next time he's gonna be on the enemy team and you're gonna rage after exploding because your cv didn't "protect" you

• Bad 2

[5D]
Players
379 posts
19,606 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Baptist said:

Two blobs sitting 15km away from the neutral cap, while 1 person is trying to get the home cap without being devastated.

Then it's just a blob staring contest for the remainder of the game. If you don't blob you lose.

Retarded.

- get real, next time he's gonna be on the enemy team and you're gonna rage after exploding because your cv didn't "protect" you

and you are exactly the kind of player that loses us CVs games :)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[HOME]
Players
570 posts
7,632 battles

That's why I always gtfo of queue as soon as I see carriers. Not because carriers are OP or some other [edited], but because I don't want to "risk" having to deal with 5 teammates who don't know how to counterplay the enemy CV. A "friendly" cv with abominable skill ofcourse doesn't help either... 

[ITA_C]
Players
198 posts
6,165 battles
11 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

congratulations for your rank 1, the bad behaviour in chat is something every cv have to face, and well about the good player that do not know how to play with cv in team is a reasonable thing begin cv a rare in high tiers .

Personally i've reach rank 10 the first day  with my haku, ( cause it was my only rank 10 ship ) then i've struggle to find someone to play with  and as expected when finally i found someone was an unicum in Midway , and no im not good enought to outplay an unicum with a superior ship, also my team mates asked me to do not ruin their game taking an haku to ranked  ,so i waited  some days and then games were mostly really enjoinable,  with team that listen instruction and collab in chat,  so i manage to slowly climb to rank 6 ( still with haku Always facing midways ) .

but it took some weeks to get there and the quality of the teams goes down day by day ,making more and more the experience frustating, until i felt that i wasn't anymore able to fill the gap between the two kind of cv with my skill and so i gave up.

in the last days there wasn't a single battle where from start and sometimes even before the other players didn't curse both cv heavily , i know one shouldn't care but i can't help myself im human  and such behavior piss me off

[FDUSH]
Players
1,043 posts
6,165 battles

Worchesters and clevelands (well, rather the defensive aa consumable) maked me quit tier 8+ cv battles altogether.

It was bad enought that in high tier cv battles the enemy cv does impossible strafes (or stuff like magically removing the stun effect and strafe out of the way while most of the times my fighters REFUSES to disengage despite giving the correct order).

[WONLY]
Players
186 posts
9,294 battles

I stopped playing CVs in ranked after reaching R5. Queue times are just too long, so i finished the season with my Zao. Midway didn't work for me (AP bombs are too situational and t8 TB squads get rekt if there is some ship with good AA around...mostly horrible teams as well), Haku did.  Got a lot of hate for queuing in a carrier..so i can relate. In the lower ranks CV is pretty god mode tho..most people have no clue how to play against it and if you have a potato cv against you....then the game is just won.
n r5-r2 there won't be complete tomatoes in CVs (at least i didn't saw one) so the CV-games were not as one-sided as they are in random battles with CV participation. Lots of woosters from r10 upward made it pretty hard to find a good target and this gets frustrating very soon... If you add in good enemy CV players to all the woosters you have to take a break every 2 games since it gets exhausting very fast.

Had a game where i sank almost the whole enemy team (enemy carrier made it out alive since time expired) by myself in the r15-10 bracket. AP-bombed two cruisers from 100 to 0 and killed the remaining 3 BBs (all 50% HP+) and a DD. Enemy CV was a 40% player... Glad they rework the class now, since this just shouldn't be possible, even if the positioning of the opposition is poorly and the CV a tomato.

[JRM]
Players
660 posts
12,245 battles
6 hours ago, The_Baptist said:

Retarded.

Dude I dont prefer to play ranked with a CV in game either but that is just wrong tactic and also not needed at all, any high tier us dd can (with some brain usage) easly take the closer cap and cv wont stop them doing so and even one us cruiser even when only partially aa specced will f**k up cvs day seriously at that flank ofc if your cv is a dud its pointless since you will lose in the end but to say you cant do anything but "full blob" is just not true acctually there are far better ways to deploy, unfortunately having 2-3 yamatos per team dont help much in that regard, or any other regard tbh since they are easly the most usless bb for their team in ranked usually beeing played by the "sniping tu*d" (TM) that goes into "star saving mode" the moment fight starts

[BUSHI]
Players
98 posts
6,353 battles

Amazing, high-octane gameplay thanks to CVs. The game is much more dynamic with them on the map. That gearing at the start survived only because of a bad drop.

[JRM]
Players
660 posts
12,245 battles

Your example shows exatcly what i said home cap will be taken no matter what by a dd no strike planes can make it there in time to drop you before you can smoke up in it and no radar can reach you there in the first few minutes of the game, getting OUT of the said cap intact depends on your cv not beeing braindead and pushing the enemy planes off so you can get out of smoke the gearing didnt even use smoke and risked the dart in the open and farrah fudged up at the same time (it happens).

The gearing probbably should have used smoke in this situation as soon as he entered cap and saw enemy drop on its way, if he did it would have given cv 2 min to pull back a bit get both his fighters there at the same time and get rid of the enemy planes, this way he forced his hand into a panicked strafing two times to try to save him and it backfired... 

Again m8 I prefer to play ranked without a cv in the match but I try to remain fair and objective in any discission and saying that the only thing you can do is sail around in one big blob all the time is not true, acctually the cv only stops the usual bb sniping from spawn bulls**t (usually done by yamato or montana) since they will get blaped if they try to do that with cv around and I shed no tears for them tbh

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,662 posts
13,098 battles
18 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

The gearing probbably should have used smoke in this situation as soon as he entered cap and saw enemy drop on its way, if he did it would have given cv 2 min to pull back a bit get both his fighters there at the same time and get rid of the enemy planes, this way he forced his hand into a panicked strafing two times to try to save him and it backfired... 

Also no DFAA.

I'll never understand why T9+ DDs that can take DFAA rarely ever do so. Even in matches without CVs being able to deny spotting via shooting down catapult planes is invaluable and imo much preferable to being able to temporarily go a bit faster.

• Cool 1

[ITA_C]
Players
198 posts
6,165 battles
3 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

9feaa0c70eda9675dd0125dbb9c26f56.jpg.60b3f8c3a767871494c4581646d14de4.jpg

yhea was too tired to write well im sorry

• Cool 1

[5D]
Players
379 posts
19,606 battles
8 hours ago, Sargento_YO said:

Worchesters and clevelands (well, rather the defensive aa consumable) maked me quit tier 8+ cv battles altogether.

It was bad enought that in high tier cv battles the enemy cv does impossible strafes (or stuff like magically removing the stun effect and strafe out of the way while most of the times my fighters REFUSES to disengage despite giving the correct order).

i think you mean side strafing and counter strafing

[OCG-R]
Players
380 posts
7,475 battles

I totally agree with your exp Mr_Snoww. Same ranked exp than you as cv player. I just gave up CVs after rank 5, not the time to wait before entering in a match ^^.

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Players
226 posts
3,147 battles
13 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

shot-18_10.03_19_13.32-0646.thumb.jpg.865268fd27fd43f66fc632eb27eae379.jpg

I ranked out this season pretty much only in a CV (apart from the last few games)

I think I beat you in that contest, I don't need to use the words: pretty much or apart :P

Screenshot_1.jpg

[5D]
Players
379 posts
19,606 battles
1 minute ago, sisito0o said:

I think I beat you in that contest, I don't need to use the words pretty much or apart :P

Screenshot_1.jpg

erm i guess you get a cookie?

[BGNAV]
Players
226 posts
3,147 battles
8 minutes ago, Mr_Snoww said:

erm i guess you get a cookie?

Yeee, thank you. By the way, I played several games against you, all of them hard ones, it was pleasure. No other class in the games allows for such a intense duels and decisiveness between two players, it's a mystery to me why so few players understand that. There's no way for me to play anything else but CVs at least until the rework...

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,232 posts
7,060 battles
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Also no DFAA.

I'll never understand why T9+ DDs that can take DFAA rarely ever do so. Even in matches without CVs being able to deny spotting via shooting down catapult planes is invaluable and imo much preferable to being able to temporarily go a bit faster.

You don't play DDs often do you? :etc_hide_turtle:

The most value of the Speed Boost ain't "going a bit faster" it's the enginepower when you need to change direction of movement or accelerate your ship out of the way of torps/behind hard over after poking out.

Most of the ships that can get Deff AA also have enough AAA for the ocasional spotter plane in a really annoying position (you can evade the path of most of them).

So if in a CV game (which is rather rare especially if you pay attention to the queue) yes I would rather have def AA than Speedboost otherwise I wouldn't be so sure about that... :fish_glass:

• Cool 1

[NC]
[NC]
Beta Tester
25 posts
3,676 battles
17 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

That's why I always gtfo of queue as soon as I see carriers. Not because carriers are OP or some other [edited], but because I don't want to "risk" having to deal with 5 teammates who don't know how to counterplay the enemy CV. A "friendly" cv with abominable skill ofcourse doesn't help either... 

I am by no means a great player yet shot down over 70 planes, the enemy cv had no chance what so ever. The rest of the team wasn't all that great and it still is a team game. And you know what, at the end they blamed me for losing... Why? Because of cv.

People see a CV and expect God raining down from heaven or else you suck. While the rest of the players are hiding in obscurity and numbers. Nobody will flag the teams dd that yolos in the first 20 second of the fight. Or the BB that thinks going solo vs the entire enemy fleet is wise.

I think people will regret whining about CVs when the CV is reworked, because nobody will be scouting those DDs for you anymore. Basically the 1 shot kill on anything will be over. DDs and Cruisers will rule.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,662 posts
13,098 battles
5 hours ago, Miessa3 said:

You don't play DDs often do you?

I've actually played far more games in DDs than you did tho? :Smile_hiding:

Seriously, you don't need speedboost for such applications if you're on top of your situational awareness. And while DFAA DDs may have enough AA to shoot down a catapult plane eventually, the duration needed is likely going to get you chunked or killed outright.

Besides, getting essentially a freebie against your worst nemesis too has good value, even if they're rare.

(Also CVs have for some reason enjoyed a surge in popularity after the rework announcement or is it just me? At least I see them far more often now in high tiers than before.)

[ITA_C]
Players
198 posts
6,165 battles
57 minutes ago, ca12nag3 said:

I am by no means a great player yet shot down over 70 planes, the enemy cv had no chance what so ever. The rest of the team wasn't all that great and it still is a team game. And you know what, at the end they blamed me for losing... Why? Because of cv.

People see a CV and expect God raining down from heaven or else you suck. While the rest of the players are hiding in obscurity and numbers. Nobody will flag the teams dd that yolos in the first 20 second of the fight. Or the BB that thinks going solo vs the entire enemy fleet is wise.

I think people will regret whining about CVs when the CV is reworked, because nobody will be scouting those DDs for you anymore. Basically the 1 shot kill on anything will be over. DDs and Cruisers will rule.

They will keep on blaming cv for a while for no other reason that for them is a confy thing to do and cuz is also socially accepted , everything for not blaming theirself

Sign in to follow this