Sign in to follow this  
Warwolf_530

Amagi Captain

9 comments in this topic

[LOKTR]
Players
3 posts
1,543 battles

Just got my Amagi at the weekend and have it fully kitted out. My captain is almost at 14 points and I'm wondering what to get next. At the moment, I'm running with PM, EM, SI and CE. Was thinking of getting Fire Prevention next but after reading some stuff on the US forums, they recon Amagi is really good for secondaries. Read that it can take 8k of a CA is they get too close.

Anyone else tried this direction?

[CATS]
Players
13,548 posts
10,358 battles

Do not go secondaries with Amagi.

Her main guns do the work.

I suggest Basics of Survivalbility and maybe AFT for a bit extra AA.

[IRON7]
Players
115 posts
962 battles

The time when IJN BBs were good for secondaries was years ago when we didn't have KM in the game.

Survival/Stealth is my best recommendation.

Players
1,359 posts
6,117 battles

Amagi is all about the MAIN guns.  Both accurate and heavy hitting. 

Please please do not secondary spec it lad.  With no turtle-back armour, Secondary AP and lack of secondary range will get it's self killed in a brawl. Tier 8 MM really means tier 9-10 games and if German BB's with 11.6 km are struggling to get into secondary range due to the meta do you think the Amagi has a chance?

The Amagi works better at range. 

I would change PM to Catapult Aircraft or have 2 1 pointers if you must (with FP).  Preventative Maintenance is so-so on a BB that only have main guns as weapons and having 2 aircraft is the difference between life and death when you see a tier 8-9-10 CV. Trust me, I know. Plus you have main armament mod 1 anyway to help.  

AR rush mate.  It's such a steal for 2 points.  Faster firing hard hitting guns? Yes please.

EM is one of those skills and down to personal preference.  Decent call on the Amagi, less so for things like the Iowa and Richy for example.

SI and CE are solid choices in the Amagi.

Get AFT next then FP. Prepare to meet the tier 9-10 long range HE spamming Meta and FP will help that (Slightly).  AFT because it help so much with planes in a Battleship and helps your secondaries. 

IMHO.

[POI--]
Players
3,172 posts
4,314 battles

I'd recommend bog standard BB survivability build. So, PT/PM (up to personal preference), EM, SI, CE, FP, BoS, AR. The secondaries aren't special and neither is the AA. If you do end in a CV match, look for some cruisers you can accompany, it's more useful than any captain skills against a competent CV. The only reason to build into AFT is if you share the captain with Kii and/or Mikasa, in which case sacrifice FP for it. CE is better because Amagi is way more flexible once it gets Concealment mod and CE and can actually try to get away out of detection or move around without being seen. FP is helpful, but as the ship is mainly 32 mm plating, the majority of damage from HE spam comes upfront, not in form of fires and you will have to disengage sooner or later anyway so you can put the fires out and stop losing hp to shelling, else you just die (in contrast to say Bismarck, which will lose much more to fires than direct HE spam usually, so FP increases tankiness by a lot).

1 hour ago, Redcap375 said:

Please please do not secondary spec it lad.  With no turtle-back armour, Secondary AP and lack of secondary range will get it's self killed in a brawl. Tier 8 MM really means tier 9-10 games and if German BB's with 11.6 km are struggling to get into secondary range due to the meta do you think the Amagi has a chance?

The main killer is MM and the range difference between Amagi and Germans. Amagi actually has turtleback armour (just not on German levels, Amagi gets citadelled relatively easily at range, but not at short range, it's what many lament about Kii which has worse turtleback that is basically not functional) and secondary AP at these ranges and tiers is not that bad. Thing is, on Bismarck, only the 15 cm guns do meaningful damage, on Massachusetts, the 127 mm guns need IFHE to do meaningful damage, most of the time they'd just be setting fires at best. Which means, sure, if someone just stays there in your secondary aura for prolonged periods, they just burn down. AP secondaries don't suffer from only 1/6 pen and basically can pen most things that aren't angled. Which means, yes, if someone angles towards you, the damage falls flat, but if they don't, they might actualy still eat damage where they wouldn't if the guns shot HE. That is not to say that it is worth speccing into these secondaries, because the return still is crap, but if Nagato had Amagi levels of cit protection and wouldn't share its tier with torp armed 32 knot Gneisenau, the AP secondaries wouldn't be that terrible for brawling builds as it can basically rake BB sides and citpen cruisers that get too close and careless. I ran secondary Yamato for entertainment and testing and the AP secondaries do basically as much as HE secondaries against ships the HE can pen, but outclass HE the moment you run into ships that the HE just cannot pen. Also, after running secondary builds on low tier ships, HE secondaries at lower tiers are worth a lot more, because at T5 and lower HE just pens everything even without IFHE. Obviously though, if you turn your cruiser anything close to paralel to a low tier AP secondary spec, you're dead. Well, ok, Omaha (and clones) can be citpenned through the bow too.

On Amagi though, it really isn't worth any investment, even though top tier Amagi can regularly end up in range.Lulzily enough, it is more valid to build for IFHE secondary Kii, given you basically got an Akizuki per side and torps. Not that Kii is very amazing in brawls with a vulnerable citadel though.

• Cool 1

[LOKTR]
Players
3 posts
1,543 battles

Thanks for all the advice guys. After considering things a bit more, I think I'm going to go for FP next and then BoS when I have 3 more points. Planning to get my captain to 19 points on Amagi as I'm enjoying playing her so much.

Players
1,359 posts
6,117 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

The main killer is MM and the range difference between Amagi and Germans. Amagi actually has turtleback armour (just not on German levels, Amagi gets citadelled relatively easily at range, but not at short range, it's what many lament about Kii which has worse turtleback that is basically not functional) and secondary AP at these ranges and tiers is not that bad. Thing is, on Bismarck, only the 15 cm guns do meaningful damage, on Massachusetts, the 127 mm guns need IFHE to do meaningful damage, most of the time they'd just be setting fires at best. Which means, sure, if someone just stays there in your secondary aura for prolonged periods, they just burn down. AP secondaries don't suffer from only 1/6 pen and basically can pen most things that aren't angled. Which means, yes, if someone angles towards you, the damage falls flat, but if they don't, they might actualy still eat damage where they wouldn't if the guns shot HE. That is not to say that it is worth speccing into these secondaries, because the return still is crap, but if Nagato had Amagi levels of cit protection and wouldn't share its tier with torp armed 32 knot Gneisenau, the AP secondaries wouldn't be that terrible for brawling builds as it can basically rake BB sides and citpen cruisers that get too close and careless. I ran secondary Yamato for entertainment and testing and the AP secondaries do basically as much as HE secondaries against ships the HE can pen, but outclass HE the moment you run into ships that the HE just cannot pen. Also, after running secondary builds on low tier ships, HE secondaries at lower tiers are worth a lot more, because at T5 and lower HE just pens everything even without IFHE. Obviously though, if you turn your cruiser anything close to paralel to a low tier AP secondary spec, you're dead. Well, ok, Omaha (and clones) can be citpenned through the bow too.

So like i said and the OP asked, don't Secondary spec the Amagi :cap_tea:

The only time that cruiser who somehow manages to get lost and wonders into your 8 km range will shows his broadside, is when your about to eat torps.  The rest of the AP is harmlessly bouncing off his bow.  That bow on BB infront of you? Yeah more bounces where HE would be at least setting it on fire.   

Against ships like the Kurfurst and Mass then regardless if the cruiser is angled, it's eating 11.6 km worth of HE pen death from every single one of his secondaries  :cap_like: that's not even including fires.

Hey if you wanna have some fun then by all means secondary spec it.  The Kurfust, Sharn, Bis ect are all fun builds but they have more reasons to have a secondary build (1/4 on some) than the Amagi.  I'm not saying it wont work but for them to shine you need the enemy to do some of the most stupid things on earth.

You do not want this ship near a brawl if you can help it.  It goes against everything the ship is good at which is lobbing accurate very hard hitting shells (eye watering so) from a distance.  Of all the tier 8 Battleships, this one would be expected to be in the rear with the gear. 

HE is the secondary weapon of choice, not AP.  It's more reliable to more ships. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,871 posts
11,295 battles
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

I'd recommend bog standard BB survivability build. So, PT/PM (up to personal preference), EM, SI, CE, FP, BoS, AR. 

This is basically the standard multi purpose BB Captain build.

Can't go far wrong with it for any BB other than if you wish to secondary brawl or AA. FP, BoS and SI backed up with Premium Consumables and a brain let's you tank far larger amounts of damage. Which farms you even more Dreadnaught and Fireproof medals...

The order you pick will be IMO, PM, EM, SI, FP/CE depending on your tastes then the other 4th level skill you don't have, then finally either BoS then AR or vice versa. Again depending on your own tastes and your own play style in game.

Amagi is one of the best tech tree BBs out there. I have both Kii and Amagi and I'm not a great fan of the Prem Ship in comparison. Nice to own all 3 IJN BC sisters tho, Ashitaka, Amagi and Kii. Can share one captain and farm that Elite XP...

[POI--]
Players
3,172 posts
4,314 battles
59 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

So like i said and the OP asked, don't Secondary spec the Amagi :cap_tea:

The only time that cruiser who somehow manages to get lost and wonders into your 8 km range will shows his broadside, is when your about to eat torps.  The rest of the AP is harmlessly bouncing off his bow.  That bow on BB infront of you? Yeah more bounces where HE would be at least setting it on fire.   

Against ships like the Kurfurst and Mass then regardless if the cruiser is angled, it's eating 11.6 km worth of HE pen death from every single one of his secondaries  :cap_like: that's not even including fires.

Hey if you wanna have some fun then by all means secondary spec it.  The Kurfust, Sharn, Bis ect are all fun builds but they have more reasons to have a secondary build (1/4 on some) than the Amagi.  I'm not saying it wont work but for them to shine you need the enemy to do some of the most stupid things on earth.

You do not want this ship near a brawl if you can help it.  It goes against everything the ship is good at which is lobbing accurate very hard hitting shells (eye watering so) from a distance.  Of all the tier 8 Battleships, this one would be expected to be in the rear with the gear. 

HE is the secondary weapon of choice, not AP.  It's more reliable to more ships. 

You don't get my point. It's not about whether Amagi's secondaries are worth it, it's about AP being the gamebreaker. It's not. Case in point, prior to German BBs, secondary Nagato was not that bad. Why? Because yes, that cruiser at 7.5 km (max range that can be achieved) might give you torps (if it actually has any with such range), but in the turn, they eat more damage than with HE. Similarly, any BB that isn't angled towards you is more reliably penned by AP at these ranges. HE secondaries are useful when they can pen (majority of targets Massachusetts and Bismarck meet don't care about that much) and otherwise are nice fire starters for when you have a few minutes to barbeque that angled ship. Is it reliable to have aP secondaries? No. But neither are HE secondaries on most ships, as only Kurfürst and Gneisenau can basically select targets with impunity and expect secondaries to be able to do the job on a cruiser or DD in due time, with Massachusetts being able to do it with DDs and light cruisers. But suppose Bismarck's secondaries would fire AP, you would basically see a difference only in two cases: T7 and lower DDs eat less damage if they angle (otherwise they get wrecked harder though) and if the engagement is drawn out over time. But for short engagements were fires are too slow, AP isn't really much worse than HE from T6 up. If a cruiser rushes you, the dpm on the 15 cm guns is laughable and the rest doesn't do any real damage except the occasional superstructure shot. However, the Amagi sucks as a secondary platform in most other areas compared to Germans, that is the main reason secondaries aren't worth it.

I wish there'd be a IJN premium for secondaries though that isn't T2 Misaka.

37 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

This is basically the standard multi purpose BB Captain build.

Can't go far wrong with it for any BB other than if you wish to secondary brawl or AA. FP, BoS and SI backed up with Premium Consumables and a brain let's you tank far larger amounts of damage. Which farms you even more Dreadnaught and Fireproof medals...

The order you pick will be IMO, PM, EM, SI, FP/CE depending on your tastes then the other 4th level skill you don't have, then finally either BoS then AR or vice versa. Again depending on your own tastes and your own play style in game.

Amagi is one of the best tech tree BBs out there. I have both Kii and Amagi and I'm not a great fan of the Prem Ship in comparison. Nice to own all 3 IJN BC sisters tho, Ashitaka, Amagi and Kii. Can share one captain and farm that Elite XP...

I like my Kii. Amagi is great, but I sold it to get credits for Yamato. Kii is kind of slightly less firepower (reload and accuracy), but it still works fine. AA and torps are hilarious when you get to use them. And it looks so beautiful.

Honestly, I almost never take PM, taking PT instead. Might do it in DDs that aren't IJN DDs. But in general, even for BBs, I prefer seeing how many target me, just because it gives me an indicator of how many unspotted ships I have to care about, whether I'm getting attention or not and so on. For DDs, it mostly tells me whether I get the attention that necessitates popping smoke or whether I can actually gunboat around or just wait till I'm out of detection range, because people seem to not care. Also, as Flamu pointed out often (and people may think about him whatever they want, he has a point with this), it can help with predicting incoming torpedoes. It might be that enemies keep torpedoes selected to not give it away, so one has to still be careful, but when the indicatoor jumps around, false positives are rare in my experience. 

Sign in to follow this