You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lord0

What happens to ships, ship XP on British DDs?

25 comments in this topic

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
160 posts

I've got a couple of the British DDs, Icarus, Acasta etc.

What happens to the ship, ship XP at the end of the RN DD event?

thanks in advance

Players
75 posts
2,514 battles
11 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

That thread contains a quote from an announcement as follows:

Please note that the destroyers will be credited in their base configuration with their modules completely researched and purchased, but you won't be able to research the next ship in the branch in Update 0.7.9. You can only accumulate the experience necessary to research the next ship and unlock it once Update 0.7.10 is released.

This is false as people are currently gaining experience on British DDs. I think the idea that we will lose accumulated XP on British DDs when the tech tree is released is a miscommunication that seems to be gaining traction. I don't believe that WG would remove accumulated XP as that represents hours of effort from players, some of those players spent real money to unlock their British DDs so removing things they have worked for would be a bit of a slap in the face.

@MrConway can you confirm that players will be keeping their accumulated XP on British DDs when the British DD tech tree is released or is it possible that we might lose the XP we have gained so far on those DDs?

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
160 posts

Well if we DO lose the ship XP then I might stop playing them until they are "released": I see little point in grinding them twice!

[ETD5]
Players
203 posts
1,459 battles

This is the patch notes:

image.thumb.png.1bf4226a205be998804d79158589e683.png

And its clear that says that you can accumulate ship XP but you cannot research the next ship on the tech tree until the release of the complete DD line.

Also, if you get and complete one of the UK DDs missions and you already have the ship (can only happen at 0.7.10) you will get the ship value in credits.

[ONIX]
Players
1,075 posts
8,563 battles
13 minutes ago, Caughtintherain said:

Please note that the destroyers will be credited in their base configuration with their modules completely researched and purchased, but you won't be able to research the next ship in the branch in Update 0.7.9. You can only accumulate the experience necessary to research the next ship and unlock it once Update 0.7.10 is released.

This is false as people are currently gaining experience on British DDs. I think the idea that we will lose accumulated XP on British DDs when the tech tree is released is a miscommunication that seems to be gaining traction. I don't believe that WG would remove accumulated XP as that represents hours of effort from players, some of those players spent real money to unlock their British DDs so removing things they have worked for would be a bit of a slap in the face.

I may be missing something but I find the quoted bit from the thread quite clear. You can and will accumulate XP from playing British DDs but will only be able to research and buy the next ship once the next update is released, even if you had accumulated enough XP to do it before.

• Cool 1

Players
75 posts
2,514 battles
17 minutes ago, Taliesn said:

I may be missing something but I find the quoted bit from the thread quite clear. You can and will accumulate XP from playing British DDs but will only be able to research and buy the next ship once the next update is released, even if you had accumulated enough XP to do it before.

I think it's only clear because we both expect it to be that way. From reading the quoted text I can see how some people might be confused and since we now have at least 2 threads on the issue I think we should try to get a clarification from a WG employee.

Regarding the quote the literal interpretation would be that you can't accumulate XP on British DDs until 0.7.10 is released, which is false. A better wording would be "You can only use your accumulated experience to unlock the next ship once update 0.7.10 is released". I think the wording has caused and will continue to cause some confusion with the initial rumour coming from "a streamer" who said the following (see quoted thread earlier):

So we just had a discussion in a stream where the streamer claimed that -unlike the French bb- the grinded exp on the British "currently 'premium'"dd will not transfer over to their tech tree counterparts.

When a streamer makes such a bold claim a lot of people believe it. When the announcement is not as definitive as it could be bearing in mind that English is not the primary language of everyone here it's hard to absolutely refute it based on the announcement.

I'm sure that everyone realises that it's extremely unlikely that WG would remove earned XP on a pre-release ship which is why we're not paying much attention to the wording of the announcement and interpreting it as we believe it was intended, but now that "a streamer" has released contradictory information a lot of people are reading the announcement through the lens of losing the accumulated XP, not all of them are native English speakers and the announcement is open to misinterpretation.

Once we have a reply from a WG employee we can put these rumours to bed, and hopefully someone will thoroughly berate this mysterious streamer for being a pillock.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
42 minutes ago, Caughtintherain said:

@MrConway can you confirm that players will be keeping their accumulated XP on British DDs when the British DD tech tree is released or is it possible that we might lose the XP we have gained so far on those DDs?

The announcement isn't false - it's badly worded. The last sentence is just ambiguous.

You can only accumulate the experience necessary to research the next ship and unlock it once Update 0.7.10 is released.

There are two ways to read it.

Version A:

You can only (do things) once Update 0.7.10 is released.

Version B:

You can only accumulate experience to (do things once Update 0.7.10 is released).

The "only" isn't there to denote that "you can do these things only once 0.7.10 goes live", it tells you that in 0.7.9 you can only accumulate experience that you will be able to use to research and unlock the ship later. This is quite obvious the intended meaning - unfortunately the way it was written could be read either way if there was no context.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,893 posts
11,301 battles

Sounds like they're giving us all the modules etc this time round.

I'm sure for French BBs we had to buy them out of the XP we accumulated... 

Players
75 posts
2,514 battles
2 minutes ago, eliastion said:

The announcement isn't false - it's badly worded. The last sentence is just ambiguous.

You can only accumulate the experience necessary to research the next ship and unlock it once Update 0.7.10 is released.

There are two ways to read it.

Version A:

You can only (do things) once Update 0.7.10 is released.

Version B:

You can only accumulate experience to (do things once Update 0.7.10).

The "only" isn't there to denote that "you can do these things only once 0.7.10 goes live", it tells you that in 0.7.9 you can only accumulate experience that you will be able to use to research and unlock the ship later. This is quite obvious the intended meaning - unfortunately the way it was written could be read either way if there was no context.

My post was poorly worded, I meant that the interpretation of the announcement some people seem to be using is false. The problem here is that people with a good command of the English language can overlook these literal interpretations and see the true meaning behind the announcement but it can and has caused confusion for some people, presumably those who are not perfectly fluent in English or those who believe that "a streamer" is correct in his misinterpretation.

[VAR]
Players
599 posts
7,672 battles

How its possible to misunderstand this is beyond me ...

In 0.7.9 you can get missions to unlock 4 RN DDs and in these premium ships you can gather XP but you can't use that XP to unlock the next ship until update 0.7.10

So when the next update comes around you only loose the premium status of the ship, nothing else ... 

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
13,676 posts
10,389 battles
49 minutes ago, Caughtintherain said:

That is because you misinterpreted the text.

• The announcement does not say you cannot gain XP on UK DD
  • The announcement does not say you lose XP on the UK DD
  • Cool 1

Players
75 posts
2,514 battles
1 minute ago, Ulvesnutepostei said:

In 0.7.9 you can get missions to unlock 4 RN DDs and in these premium ships you can gather XP but you can't use that XP to unlock the next ship until update 0.7.10

So when the next update comes around you only loose the premium status of the ship, nothing else ... 

I imagine that most people had no problem with this until "a streamer" made the claim quoted above. When you begin to analyse the announcement word by word as a non-native English speaker it's easy to interpret it as "you should not be able to accumulate XP in 0.7.9" which would give weight to the claim of "a streamer".

I understand that it's hard to see how other people might be confused by something that you are not confused by, unfortunately it happens and sometimes we need to make accommodations for other people who might not have the skill set applicable to the problem.

Players
75 posts
2,514 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

• The announcement does not say you cannot gain XP on UK DD
  • The announcement does not say you lose XP on the UK DD

I feel like you didn't read anything I wrote.

[CATS]
Players
13,676 posts
10,389 battles
Just now, Caughtintherain said:

I feel like you didn't read anything I wrote.

53 minutes ago, Caughtintherain said:

This is false as people are currently gaining experience on British DDs.
@MrConway

Oh, really?

Players
75 posts
2,514 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Oh, really?

I think the idea that we will lose accumulated XP on British DDs when the tech tree is released is a miscommunication that seems to be gaining traction.

I think it's only clear because we both expect it to be that way. From reading the quoted text I can see how some people might be confused and since we now have at least 2 threads on the issue I think we should try to get a clarification from a WG employee.

The problem here is that people with a good command of the English language can overlook these literal interpretations and see the true meaning behind the announcement but it can and has caused confusion for some people, presumably those who are not perfectly fluent in English or those who believe that "a streamer" is correct in his misinterpretation.

I understand that it's hard to see how other people might be confused by something that you are not confused by

[CATS]
Players
13,676 posts
10,389 battles

You are claiming the anncouncement is false...

Then do not write that, if you do not mean it.

[VAR]
Players
599 posts
7,672 battles
1 minute ago, Caughtintherain said:

I imagine that most people had no problem with this until "a streamer" made the claim quoted above. When you begin to analyse the announcement word by word as a non-native English speaker it's easy to interpret it as "you should not be able to accumulate XP in 0.7.9" which would give weight to the claim of "a streamer".

I understand that it's hard to see how other people might be confused by something that you are not confused by, unfortunately it happens and sometimes we need to make accommodations for other people who might not have the skill set applicable to the problem.

The problem is too many people doesn't read the text carefully enough because it's quite plain english ... nothing fancy or difficult words

That people read things that aren't in the text is quite remarkable 

Players
75 posts
2,514 battles

I'm out. There are at least 2 threads with this same misinformation, while it's almost impossible that WG would follow through on the mysterious streamer's belief I suggest that we preemptively get a reply from a member of staff that we can use for the almost guaranteed follow up threads.

Peace all, let's hope that when you're confused by something someone takes the time to get a definitive answer for you rather than exclaiming their intelligence by expressing disbelief that anyone could be confused by such an issue!

[W-C]
Players
319 posts
1,486 battles
2 minutes ago, Ulvesnutepostei said:

The statement: You can only accumulate the experience necessary to research the next ship and unlock it once update 0.7.10 is released.

Try 'seeing' it like this (not changing words or anything... just has to do with the flow as you read it):

You can (only accumulate the experience necessary to research the next ship and unlock it) once update 0.7.10 is released.

So... you can't gain XP until 7.10?

'See'it like this:

(You can only accumulate the experience necessary to research the next ship) and unlock it once update 0.7.10 is released.

and it becomes a bit clearer

Putting a simple comma in after 'ship' might be enough...

You can only accumulate the experience necessary to research the next ship, and unlock it once update 0.7.10 is released.

Or the more 'optimal' wording as mentioned before:

29 minutes ago, Caughtintherain said:

You can only use your accumulated experience to unlock the next ship once update 0.7.10 is released

Bit like:

King Charles walked and talked half an hour after his head was cut off

King Charles walked and talked, half an hour after his head was cut off.

Whatever... I'm confused myself now too... although I know what it is meant to be saying:Smile_amazed::Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 4

[CATS]
Players
13,676 posts
10,389 battles

If you do not isolate parts of sentences, but read them as a whole, then there is no misunderstanding.

If there is no misunderstanding, you do not need a clarification.

[W-C]
Players
319 posts
1,486 battles
8 minutes ago, Ulvesnutepostei said:

Get your point @Rusty_9 but this is not that difficult ...you can possibly misunderstand if you try hard

Yep, or if some streamer has told you otherwise :Smile_teethhappy:

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,891 posts
2,152 battles
2 hours ago, Caughtintherain said:

I can, XP will stay with the ship and can be used immediately!

• Cool 3