Rusty_9

RN DD's and the 'Dunkirk Brothers'

11 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Players
319 posts
1,487 battles

All

I have just bought Bert Dunkirk using Sovereigns, with the expectation that I will put him on the DD's (I love Jervis! It will probably be a keeper!).

My question is two-fold really.

1) Is this a sensible choice? Or is he more suited to the cruisers?

2) If 'yes'; What order would you spec his skills in? I'm wondering if I should skip the normal LS 2pt skill for now, and go PT (my usual 1pter), JoAT, SOMETHING at 3pts, and CE. And then sink the next 4 pts into LS and EM? Not sure on the final 5 points but they will be a while - maybe SSE and another 3pt skill? Although at the moment IFHE looks like a must for T9 + 10 if I want to take him there!?

Those 3pt skills are a bit of a hard choice TBH... SE, TAE, SI, DE and BFT all have something going for them! Any thoughts on which should be the priority? I'm probably leaning towards either SI or BFT, but... SE is kinda valuable, especially at higher tiers... damn, decisions!

Thanks for your comments!

Players
5 posts
3,304 battles

I went for BFT. And with the nerf on the heal SE might be a better choice than SI. Also due to the concealment nerf RL might be a good choice since you will be outspotted in the high tiers now. EM you will not need after Jervis, hardly need on Jervis due to 360 degrees of gun rotation. JOAT is nice but the smoke comes up very fast so you do not gain that much from it. IFHE is useful almost exclusively against DDs so I believe a waste especially since your AP will have better angles from tier IX. TAE is good and with 2.5secs reload on main guns on Daring you might say it is better than BFT, even though I believe that your main damage output will come from your guns. So to summarize I would keep Bert for the CLs , there you can use 2 of 3 of his enhanced abilities, do not need EM for Mino and Neptune. If you have both Jack and Bert then keep one for CLs and the other for the Babs with EM, or Belfast if you got it. Hope this helps you.

• Cool 2

[ZEN]
Players
107 posts
16,318 battles

Yes, I have one of those two on Belfast as well, that makes the most sense, it would seem. 

The other Dunkirk-guy is on my Jervis now, mainly because he is one of my most senior RN captains (and would move on to Lightning > Jutland > Daring in future). 

• Cool 2

[W-C]
Players
319 posts
1,487 battles

Thanks @APPPPA1980 and @Midway67, that helps.

I'll spec him for the CL line (only recently got Emerald), but probably play him on Jervis whilst it's 'premium' (grind more points - I don't have any high point RN captains).

Would you expect to spec in those 2pt 'enhanced' skills (JoaT and SSE anyway) ASAP, or still include the more traditional AR as the 1st 2pt skill?

:cap_like:

Edited by Rusty_9
  • Cool 1

Players
5 posts
3,304 battles

It depends how you play your cruiser. If you wait for your smoke to come so you can start firing then go for JOAT, leave SSE for last, otherwise go for AR, since damage received equals potential to deal more damage. And I wish you the best with Emerald, it can get blapped tier for tier easier than the Neptune and the Mino. I was not that good with the RN CLs, average with the Edin and bad with the others. Unlocked Neptune haven't bought it yet. But the very few times the stars aligned and I had a good game it was extremely satisfying and fun to play.

• Cool 1

[SOCKS]
Players
700 posts
5,290 battles

1st 2p skill in DDs should be Last Stand. Always. Everytime. Without discussion. Hands down. No Exceptions.

I still struggle to understand how any player using DDs doesn't spec that thing ASAP. Is the bread and butter of a class that relies on being highly mobile to survive.

In brit cruisers is a much more open question because AR is not as useful as JoAT. I barely see any low hp brit cruiser around,  they tend to die in very spectacular fashion from 50-60% down to 0 in a single volley .AR can be of help at 50% hp but I'd rather save myself from being at 50% health if possible. So personally I went with JoAT first, Cruisers are reliant on smoke to survive and those few seconds can be the difference between giving someone a Devastating Strike, or being just fine. 

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
Players
2,722 posts
9,874 battles

You really don't want to spec a captain for the RN CL line and use him on RN DDs. Especially not one of the Dunkirk's.

A RN CL setup is different from a RN DD setup and will actively hinder you while playing. It is better to use coal and get Dunkirk crates for the other brother and spec them exclusively to each line.

If using one of them on DDs you should go standard for the first 10p (PT, LS, SE, CE). Then you grab Smoke Expert for the larger cloud (short activation is a b*tch) and JoaT. You don't want to touch EM as it is subpar on RN DDs, instead invest in RPF.

For RN CLs you go PT, AR, SI, CE, then you need to decide whether you want to waste him on the Minotaur, or use him on the Fiji. On Minotaur only JoaT is of use. On Fiji/Belfast you want both EM and JoaT. Belfast adds IFHE while Fiji offers you options. You don't want Smoke Expert as you have enough smoke activation time to lay a big cloud.

• Cool 1

Players
5 posts
3,304 battles

DDs yes with out a question. I was answering how he could spec the Dunikrk brothers on the CL line, since I advised him to use them there. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

[SOCKS]
Players
700 posts
5,290 battles
Just now, APPPPA1980 said:

DDs yes with out a question. I was answering how he could spec the Dunikrk brothers on the CL line, since I advised him to use them there. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

I know. I submitted the post before finishing it by mistake ;). It's edited now.

• Cool 1

[ZEN]
Players
107 posts
16,318 battles
On 3-10-2018 at 1:55 PM, APPPPA1980 said:

It depends how you play your cruiser. If you wait for your smoke to come so you can start firing then go for JOAT, leave SSE for last, otherwise go for AR, since damage received equals potential to deal more damage. And I wish you the best with Emerald, it can get blapped tier for tier easier than the Neptune and the Mino. I was not that good with the RN CLs, average with the Edin and bad with the others. Unlocked Neptune haven't bought it yet. But the very few times the stars aligned and I had a good game it was extremely satisfying and fun to play.

Fully agree, indeed the play-style should always be leading with this. 

As for Emerald, yes she is fragile and yes you can get into trouble with her fragility very rapidly (happened to me many times, later on also with Neptune), yet I still think she's a fun and highly maneuverable ship with loads of potential. 

Just make sure you're on the edge of your seat with her at all times, especially when there are battleships with hard-hitting AP shells in the vicinity. This is typically not the kind of boat where you can sit back, relax and just enjoy the scenery ;-) Do that and you're bound to see a big explosion from up really close, before long!! (in which your Emerald suddenly turns bright red and fifty shades of firy yellow & orange, haha!) 

Use the terrain and your smoke, as well as proximity to the right kind of allies (not only those with smoke, but also allied BB's!) to your advantage whenever you can. 

With those Kobayashi special-camo's now in the shop, I can only hope they will one day also bring back that 'Lá Fhéile Pádraig - Emerald Edition' special permanent camouflage, which was available on St. Patrick's Day 2017 (not this year, unfunfortunately, or I'd have purchased it rightaway!) ---> see http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Camouflage and then in the "Special Camouflage" section. 

My win-rate with her has never been much to write home about, yet despite that I still found myself playing her regularly just to challenge myself. 

One day I'll buy her back, this "mid-tier Minotaur-be-like" and keep working her until I get my first "Emerald-Kraken" with her :-) 

• Cool 1

[PINUT]
Players
498 posts
7,813 battles
Am 3.10.2018 um 13:08, Rusty_9 sagte:

1) Is this a sensible choice? Or is he more suited to the cruisers?

2) If 'yes'; What order would you spec his skills in? I'm wondering if I should skip the normal LS 2pt skill for now, and go PT (my usual 1pter), JoAT, SOMETHING at 3pts, and CE. And then sink the next 4 pts into LS and EM? Not sure on the final 5 points but they will be a while - maybe SSE and another 3pt skill? Although at the moment IFHE looks like a must for T9 + 10 if I want to take him there!?

Imho he is more suited to cruisers and BBs, assuming that we are talking about a captain that gets dragged along all the way up to T10.

Thing is: UK BB have abysmal turret traverse, so his buffed EM is still useful on a Lion or Conq. Boosted JoaT also means it's not a bad choice either esp. with the nerf to the heal cooldown that Conq got shortly after release. 

On CAs it depends on the tier and playstyle: Up to T8-9 EM can be usefull, esp on T7-8. Bigger smoke depends on how often you play in a division with another cruiser that could make use of your smoke screen and JOAT again is super useful due to the amount of consumables you have. 

I have both brothers, one sits on Conq with EM&JOAT and the other one on a Mino with the legendary upgrade using kind of a like a obese USN DD smoking for my div-mates. Which means I picked SSE and JOAT.

On RN DDs (say T9-10) the only useful skill would be JOAT (turrets are fast enough and smoke is too short legged anyway to buff it with skills)...

• Cool 1