You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Michey802

Rank 1 for the first time

30 comments in this topic

[-OAW-]
[-OAW-]
Players
69 posts
6,813 battles

This morning i finally got that great feeling when you rank out after a relatively hard grind.

Not something i plan to do again with future seasons, i'm sure i lost a few years off my lifespan bc the stress LOL :cap_fainting: (i'm sure some can relate)

I want to tell my thoughts and experiences regarding  this season and some aspects of ranked in general, idk maybe some find it useful.

ranked.thumb.png.98d9cda7371e1d61a9e10f3d0db361e0.png

I started this season somewhere at rank 20 something, i usually rank to 15 for the easy rewards and the flag.

This time it all went so well and got farther without too much issues so i thought, why not give this a real shot.

Till rank 15 i used my Tirpitz, its a ship i'm very comfortable with, this is an important piece of advice, play the ships you are comfortable with.

No matter what people say is the best ship for ranked, you need to be able to play it well enough and comfortably enough or you wont last the grind/reach your goal for the season.

When i had to switch to t10 ships i picked my Moskva, its a tanky ship when angled correctly, strong radar and can snipe well if needed.

With just this ship i got past rank 10 in no time, but then things started changing.

After reaching rank 8 i had a hard time being effective, the meta changed slightly. I got focused a lot more, died faster, lost more often and no hope of keeping a star that way.

Its important to recognize when its time to change ship, jumped into my Yamato.

I had a bit of success with Yamato, however it didn't feel very comfortable to play in this environment, the slow shells are easy to dodge at range so i had a lot of issues with taking out HE spamming cruisers.

Even though Yamato was highly recommended i didn't like playing her in ranked so i switched to the Republic.

Republic was a beast, i loved playing her till rank 5, despite the 32mm HE magnet hull it felt tanky enough but those guns really put the hurt on cruisers and battleships if they presented a broadside.

However, meta changed slightly again, people angle better in the 5-2 bracket and my effectiveness with the Republic went down a lot.

So switched to Minotaur (radar ofc) had a good success rate till rank 3, when yet again my winnings got harder yet again despite being in the same bracket.

At this point i wasn't sure what t10 i had was a good choice, its not a bad idea to simply pick a ship you like anyway, even though it might not be the most "optimal" for ranked.

Zao/ Hindenberg it was till i got to rank 2 and 2 stars.

Getting sidetracked for a second here, because i know of myself that losing a star that you just gained during a hard battle before is very frustrating, i chose to set a personal goal: gain 1-2 stars a day and leave it at that.

When you are playing in a frustrated mood you make mistakes more often, you get too impatient, you aren't enjoying yourself any more. Setting a personal daily goal is tactical (in my case atleast:cap_hmm:)

So back to my grind, gained a star a day after 1-3 games a day. And then 1 day i lost 3 stars in a row... omg that was very triggering, i logged off, came back a few hours later and gained 2 stars back.

I broke my own rule out of frustration, last weekend i really went to grind to that rank 1 but it was a back and forth rollercoaster and i rage quit after being 1 win away from my rank 1, and then lost 3 games in a row.

After calming down i went back to my working ways, i log on, win that star and do something else.

Those last 3 stars i gained with my Conqueror, for me it was more comfortable to play then the Yamato or Republic.

It has the tank and can deal with bow on ships very well, i played the support role, helping my team put pressure on ships that threaten our objectives.

Regarding the keeping a star if top scorer on losing team, imo a bad idea. The base xp is measured by individual performance, however its more the teamplay that wins fights.

For example: as a dd player you can give your team an advantage to smoke up cruisers near a cap, so they can fire/radar more safely.

However a selfish dd player could keep his smoke for himself, thus increasing his base xp, but risking a loss because his support is at a disadvantage.

Since this game doesn't know yet how to put a score on good teamplay i think noone should be able to keep a star in a loss.

Regarding the Stalinium Stalin Approved Balanced Stalingrad: i hate the damn thing, the luck i get is, if there is 1 in the game its on the enemy team.

Anyway, my main problem with it is the improved AP autobounche angles. a number of times i was perfectly angled and it still penned my cruiser for atleast 10k dmg.

I don't care about its crap concealment, a ship as tanky as that can keep shooting, thus being visible anyway.

For people that are thinking about reaching a high rank before a season is over: Get past the 15-11 ranks asap, if you wait too long the less skilled players will over saturate the said bracket and make it hard to win.

A friend of mine is having this issue, he waited too long and finds it impossible to get to the next. Its about the same thing with the so called weekendplayers.

A less skilled team can lose in an instant when making mistakes, it created a very unstable team where personal performance to win can easily be overshadowed by crappy teammates.

Overtime the grindiest of the grindiest of players can get into the 10-6 bracket so don't sit in there too long either, but its less time sensitive as the 15-11 ranks.

Seriously when i see that some people spend a couple 100 games just to get to the next RANK i get a knot in my stomach. These people do what our gnome overlord Jingles says on occasion: Throw enough crap at the wall and hope some of it sticks.

:cap_wander:

I don't consider myself some unicorn player, but i try to play it smart, knowing when its time to cash in (stars) and log off for the day or play randoms.

If you read all the way till here and have some advice for others who are having issues with ranked, then please say so below.

• Cool 24
  • Boring 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,034 posts
11,482 battles

Congratulations!

Also 172 battles played to rank 1 is actually quite good.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,590 posts
7,066 battles

Yeah congrats.

As for me, I stay away from ranked as far as possible. No good for my health.

[HAERT]
Players
2,025 posts

I gave up Ranked at 40 games played, that's the limit of my patience with the lousy teamplay and "save a star" mentality.

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
413 posts
2,693 battles

Congrats on achieving rank 1. Well done! :cap_like:

[HOME]
Players
578 posts
7,635 battles

@Michey802 Congratulations! Well done and a good recap of this season. 

Currently I haven been bouncing around at the Rank 2 mark between 0-4 stars. Got to "Matchpoint" two times but didnt succeed yet. 

It is truly astonishing when I see players with over 500 battles in this ranked season. Where do they get the perseverance for this?

I followed your "rules" this season and it worked magically for me: Do not grind dozens of games in a row but take it slow.

When I started losing I didnt push through (like I normally would to make up for my losses) but I took a break to return to the game with a fresh mind.

One thing that stood out for me this season was the high percentage of absolutely atrocious shima players this season.

I met one or two that were actually decent and the rest was of the level "gluesniffing windowlicking potato". 

The kind of player that would, despite the teams encouragement not to, rush a cap, get radared and die, only to scream "REEEE no support reeeee".

It made me lose hope every time a had a shima on my team. 

Anyway, I hope to reach rank 1 as well in the next few days. o7

[-OAW-]
Players
6 posts
6,778 battles
On 3-10-2018 at 2:50 AM, Michey802 said:

A friend of mine is having this issue, he waited too long and finds it impossible to get to the next

Nothing to see here, move along :cap_rambo:

In my case it's hard to find the time and patience too, to push up as far as Michey did.

Really am proud of my clan mate for reaching rank 1 tho 

[DIKI]
Players
802 posts
295 battles

To reach R1 you dont need skill just the will.........so many dds with 10 point captains and 700 battles are in 5-1 bracket.

so only thing you need to reach R1 i will and free time to press "battle" as much as needed....noting more

[JRM]
Players
657 posts
10,505 battles

This was the seasson where I also reached Rank 1 for the first time. It was not easy, hardest part for me was playing in Rank 2 :).  Overall took me 207 battles with 60% win rate. My ships were  Kufurst and Republique.

Honestlly it was bit hard to accustom to play Random battles after finishing with Ranked, simply it was about finding that same level of motivation and carrying which is practically impossible, also gamplay quality in Random was 10 times lower then in Ranked, ships die too fast and poor communication, things i was seing rarelly in Ranked. 

Even in during this ranked season i was feeling  frustrated, agnry and also happy when winning, so much mixed feelings, and it was soemtimes amazingly hard to find willpower to continue when things start to work against you, I can still say I cannot wait for next Ranked seasson to start. 

[DIKI]
Players
802 posts
295 battles
36 minutes ago, albinbino said:

This was the seasson where I also reached Rank 1 for the first time. It was not easy, hardest part for me was playing in Rank 2 :).  Overall took me 207 battles with 60% win rate. My ships were  Kufurst and Republique.

Honestlly it was bit hard to accustom to play Random battles after finishing with Ranked, simply it was about finding that same level of motivation and carrying which is practically impossible, also gamplay quality in Random was 10 times lower then in Ranked, ships die too fast and poor communication, things i was seing rarelly in Ranked. 

Even in during this ranked season i was feeling  frustrated, agnry and also happy when winning, so much mixed feelings, and it was soemtimes amazingly hard to find willpower to continue when things start to work against you, I can still say I cannot wait for next Ranked seasson to start. 

perfect example how this ranked season has nothing "normal in it"....player with 55% wr have 60% in ranked and playrs wit 65% in randoms have 53% in ranked....it is 0 skill, 100% luck of not getting morons

[JRM]
Players
657 posts
10,505 battles
52 minutes ago, veslingr said:

perfect example how this ranked season has nothing "normal in it"....player with 55% wr have 60% in ranked and playrs wit 65% in randoms have 53% in ranked....it is 0 skill, 100% luck of not getting morons

Sure luck is important but still you got to do best you can from your side for the team and be persistent. Persistence is my weak point, that is why i never reached rank 1 in the past. And to be totally honest, sometimes i also blundered badly, was cause for defeat probably. Overall i picked to play BBs, because i recognized that there are better players than me who know how to play radar cruisers and where to position themselves. I also admitted that there are better players then me who know how to play DDs on those maps against radars.

When it comes to luck, it is not so much matter of weak players, i did not see much weak players, i reached premier league rather fast and early maybe that is why, it is more matter of heaving some exceptionally good players in your team or against you.  Saving star was not imortant to me, event it is very usefull, i saved star maybe just 4 times in all battles. At the start i made decision to play BB in agressive style, both my BBs have about 18 to 19 km gun range due to legendary module, so i was going to be close to the cap, at least to scare enemy cruisers from thier approach to cap. But also i gave cruisers and DDs to play to players who are better then me with them  as i said, and it was key for succes. 

[DIKI]
Players
802 posts
295 battles
On 10/6/2018 at 12:35 PM, albinbino said:

Sure luck is important but still you got to do best you can from your side for the team and be persistent. Persistence is my weak point, that is why i never reached rank 1 in the past. And to be totally honest, sometimes i also blundered badly, was cause for defeat probably. Overall i picked to play BBs, because i recognized that there are better players than me who know how to play radar cruisers and where to position themselves. I also admitted that there are better players then me who know how to play DDs on those maps against radars.

When it comes to luck, it is not so much matter of weak players, i did not see much weak players, i reached premier league rather fast and early maybe that is why, it is more matter of heaving some exceptionally good players in your team or against you.  Saving star was not imortant to me, event it is very usefull, i saved star maybe just 4 times in all battles. At the start i made decision to play BB in agressive style, both my BBs have about 18 to 19 km gun range due to legendary module, so i was going to be close to the cap, at least to scare enemy cruisers from thier approach to cap. But also i gave cruisers and DDs to play to players who are better then me with them  as i said, and it was key for succes. 

if you, your example, play mostly BBs, luck in getting DDs is key factor to win or lost games, how many times i saw all dds from my or other side die in first 2 minutes....side that loses all dds that fast is 90% loser side....on other side keeping star is easiest in BBs due to high DMG output and suvarvilibility, on other hand keeping star in dds is almost impossible.

sadly, ranked is pure grind and 80% key factor to geting to R1 is persistence, 15% is choosing ship that mostly will save star for you and 5% is epic skill (probably 5% players have that) that can overturn 4 imbeciles in your team

On 10/6/2018 at 11:08 AM, albinbino said:

this is 3 R1 guy....look at WR and number of games per season

Capture.PNG

• Funny 1

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,605 posts
6,667 battles

For once I've read all of a long post.  Congrats to OP.

Sounds like a really hard thing to do and this is why I can't abide those who complain about how hard it ts as though they are entitled to progress higher than they can manage.

[RBMF]
Players
241 posts
5,901 battles

Just got my rank 1 this morning about 15 minutes ago after a celebratory glass of whiskey. OP has made very good points, many of them valid and bang on. When I played the pilot season of ranked battles I was extremely disappointed, I saw the loopholes in the system and on top of that at the time there were no significant rewards. Same XP gain but you got some flags and credits for each rank up bla bla. So I ignored ranked season and kept ignoring it until season 10 since I desperately want a premium T9 DD, so the Black. And my god, some of the shocking games I got even up to the premier league. But, I committed myself frequently on mornings between 6am and 8:30am to play ranked and get some stars in. I set myself a simple rule, if I win, I keep going until I lose twice in a row. And I am happy to announce after 160 battles I have made it to rank 1 for the first time. 

So congratulations to those that have made, and good luck to those finishing the grind today!

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Players
226 posts
3,147 battles

Who managed to get to rank 1 with fewest battles ? It took me 110 this season which despite my higher win rate is more than the 108 that it took me last one. So I am regressing a bit it seems.

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,051 posts
14,065 battles
17 minutes ago, sisito0o said:

Who managed to get to rank 1 with fewest battles ? It took me 110 this season which despite my higher win rate is more than the 108 that it took me last one. So I am regressing a bit it seems.

took me 300 , it could of taken  150~ if i was serious enough about it, where last season it was only 230 battles :/

[HOME]
Players
578 posts
7,635 battles
27 minutes ago, sisito0o said:

Screenshot_20181008-103107.thumb.jpg.e3c94e328280a33818106f64e09343dc.jpg

Players
276 posts
3,409 battles

Congrats. I usually do the rank 15 for the easy flags before getting bored as well. One day I might push to Rank 1 but I doubt it.

[-OAW-]
[-OAW-]
Players
69 posts
6,813 battles
6 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I assume these players all started at the same rank. insane winrate :cap_fainting:

[BGNAV]
Players
226 posts
3,147 battles
57 minutes ago, Michey802 said:

I assume these players all started at the same rank. insane winrate :cap_fainting:

Not necessarily but most likely

7 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

where did that statistic came from ? I want to see my position. 

[BUSHI]
Players
99 posts
6,378 battles
5 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

@sisito0o The WoWs-EU Ranked discord channel https://discord.gg/NRayj62

But there you can only see top 10. To see the leaderboard check here: http://shipcomrade.com/leaderboard.asp?name=sisito0o&G=1&S=10&R=4&B=5&C=0&P=2

Youre #50 this season. :)

The shipcomrade list is very limited. You have to search for yourself on it to appear in the ranking.

I defenitely wasn't in the Top10 before I typed my nickname. One of my clanmates should be somewhere on pages1-2 but he's not there.

[HOME]
Players
578 posts
7,635 battles
4 hours ago, The_Baptist said:

The shipcomrade list in very limited. You have to search for yourself on it to appear in the ranking.

I defenitely wasn't in the Top10 before I typed my nickname. One of my clanmates should be somewhere on pages1-2 but he's not there.

You're absolutely right. I hope one of our fellow forumites can provide us a better alternative. Because I am also quite curious to see how I did. 

[-OAW-]
[-OAW-]
Players
69 posts
6,813 battles

https://wows-numbers.com/season/id,10/ this is also interesting. Ship stats for only this season. Im sure some already seen this, but worth sharing anyway.

Some surprices in there and some things that are common knowlege backed by facts now *couch shima couch* 

• Funny 1