You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Linkaex

Stagnating in my progres. Need help and getting stuff of my chest

26 comments in this topic

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
406 posts
2,643 battles

Hi there fellow captains. :cap_cool:

Over the last few month's you guys and girls gave me great feedback on how I could improve my game, 

I'm really grateful for that and because of it I went from a bad player to now below average and working towards average. 
I will be content with average but my goals is to be a "good"  player and get everything in the green. 

As of late in the last couple of weeks my performance has been staggering. From going "great" and sometimes even "unicum" scores per evening I went back to "below average" and "bad". Whilst my average tier is still around 6/7.  

image.png.0b394e9e8f1faf52ad50d7ed4561349a.png

I read alot about this feature "replays". And I think it can help me to evaluate my game. Where does one find this? 

Also idk if my understanding of the game gets better and thus I see more idiotic mistakes made by my team or even the reds. But teammates have been surprising me to say the least on their decisions. 

Now the last time I blamed everything else except me, you here on the forum proved me wrong, and I hope this is the case yet again!  I must be missing something but I don't know what. 

There were plenty of games in hindsight where in I could be more of an asset to the team and so lost because of it. Or at least I hope that is the reason since I can work on that. 

There were also games no matter how well I preformed (to my knowledge) but it was a lost cause from the start I think. 

Some questions on games that seem hopeless. 

So sometimes you have these games. No matter how hard you try to communicate they will be stuck, for in this example, at the D line. 
Really they did not got of that square for like 10 minutes. I and a Z-46 tried to cap A but to no avail. (Me in a Hipper I recently unlocked) 

Spoiler

image.png.306576dc3490796bab427b11ccc157db.png

At this point I feel hopeless, getting salty and what not. How do you capitalize on these kind of games? 
I really don't want to blame my team here, even tho they could have done better positioning. I did not do great that game either. 

Here in my T6 Normandie I did rather well score wise. But we still lost. I would not post this if it was an exception. To my experience it is a a big chunk of my games that end like this. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a74b3e9d9569f35ba14acd48e6a5b095.png

image.thumb.png.619e74d0afc9e68cf33c65b882adcec4.png

Is there something I can do to motivate my team better? How do I read the games a such, even when they go in my examples I can get the most % out of it to win it? 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
13,531 posts
10,358 battles

Bad games happen.

Your last three weeks are clearly above your average. That means you are improving:

551408571.png

Your last week was probably just bad luck.

• Cool 1

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
406 posts
2,643 battles
12 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Bad games happen.

Your last three weeks are clearly above your average. That means you are improving:

551408571.png

Your last week was probably just bad luck.

Ugh, It does not feel like it. 

I see my PR improving but my W/R declining. 

[BFS]
Beta Tester
745 posts
4,562 battles
10 minutes ago, Linkaex said:

I'd see that PR is you and W/R is more the team (although it's possible if you play well to affect that - but it takes more than one person to carry a battle - sometimes there really is no hope).

• Cool 1

Players
1,511 posts
1,328 battles

Play to live, never live to play.

I am a potatoe on wows, just play for shits and giggles.

I take WoT a bit more seriously and have achieved "average to above average in my fave tanks."

My WoT attitude may be of some help. Basicly I write off any experience in a new vehicle till it's aced and I have a feel for it. Stats in a new ride will always suck.

When you find a vehicle you like, stop the grind, ignore the next goal on the tree and embrace the new shiny, play around, try new things, push it's envelope.

You'll find your stats rising as you let go and embrace the joy. Worked for my Cromwell.

• Cool 2

[CLADS]
Players
151 posts
9,732 battles

Dont try to watch your stats to much it will only frustrate. The learning curve requires patience and results dont appear overnight. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,872 posts

My advise would be to spend more time on 4-5 tier before jumping to 6-7, as well as not jump between classes / nations too much.

Pick 1 - 2 lines and stick to 1 class in both of them. Then do the same with other classes. You will get used to ships and learn both - their limitations and class limitations - much easier.

• Cool 2

Players
779 posts
6,834 battles

I wouldn't worry about that recent increase in % of losses. Sometimes stuff happens -- I've had much, much worse.

Your recent performance (that period with 100+ games) is well above server average, so there's no reason to be concerned.

There's only so much you can do with a random team -- it's always to a large extent out of your hands. But like some successful sportsmen like to say, if you persistently do the right things for a long time, you tend to be "luckier" than the other guy. 

• Cool 3

[EST]
[EST]
Players
688 posts
17,369 battles
1 hour ago, Linkaex said:

image.png.0b394e9e8f1faf52ad50d7ed4561349a.png

Its JUST 15 games. Week ago i had 30%wr with last 40 or so games. Ship happens at randoms sometimes longer than we wish. You clearly are improving.

edit: 1 of reasons i failed was that i grinded legendary modules for ships i dont enjoy/like much.

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,573 posts
6,645 battles

Drop down a couple of tiers and play ships you are best at.

• Cool 1

[OGHF]
Players
524 posts
10,047 battles

With improved WR sometimes a bit of overconfidence appears, slow down, hang back and watch your minimap etc, see what is happening and always look for escape routes ( keep reminding myself of this )

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
1,108 posts
1,524 battles
12 minutes ago, Linkaex said:

Hi there fellow captains. :cap_cool:

Over the last few month's you guys and girls gave me great feedback on how I could improve my game, 

I'm really grateful for that and because of it I went from a bad player to now below average and working towards average. 
I will be content with average but my goals is to be a "good"  player and get everything in the green.

Well that is a great goal but it will only work if you spend all day same number of games,

because the game will count your last games and the stats will mess it up.

For example, if I play Hood all night (and I do not get potato teams) it will increase winrate.

But, if I play half the night with King George V and I suck in that, it will probably decrease winrate even if I play Hood the other half.

Now, I tried the new T6 RN DD and guess what, I am now únicum DD player'. Duh. 

As of late in the last couple of weeks my performance has been staggering. From going "great" and sometimes even "unicum" scores per evening I went back to "below average" and "bad". Whilst my average tier is still around 6/7.  

Stick there, it is the most fun. Lately I have been getting more T7 games in my T7 ships. 

A month ago, mostly giot uptiered to T8 and T9. SO, result: a month ago I sucked.

This month slightly better, so I grind the T7 King George V more, and result, still not good. LOL.

I read alot about this feature "replays". And I think it can help me to evaluate my game. Where does one find this? 

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/128618-enable-replays/

Also idk if my understanding of the game gets better and thus I see more idiotic mistakes made by my team or even the reds. But teammates have been surprising me to say the least on their decisions. 

Now the last time I blamed everything else except me, you here on the forum proved me wrong, and I hope this is the case yet again!  I must be missing something but I don't know what. 

Guess what, there are a lot of players that do not come to the forum, and make the same mistakes you did.

It is not you that missed something. Meanwhile, you get it. But they are missing something and they 'll not learn.

There were plenty of games in hindsight where in I could be more of an asset to the team and so lost because of it. Or at least I hope that is the reason since I can work on that. 

There were also games no matter how well I preformed (to my knowledge) but it was a lost cause from the start I think. 

The ability to see the faults makes the master. But it does not make you Harry Potter so there is no magic wand to waive.

The only thing you can do is try to not make those mistakes yourself. 

If you get really good you still cannot prevent faults. But if you are really reallty really good, you might kill enough to win anyway.

So sometimes you have these games. No matter how hard you try to communicate they will be stuck, for in this example, at the D line. 
Really they did not got of that square for like 10 minutes. I and a Z-46 tried to cap A but to no avail. (Me in a Hipper I recently unlocked) 

Duh. That is a known 'feature', it is called the 'camping BBs'. 

If the other team does it too, it is a matter of which one sticks his nose out first and gets it blown off.

So, once this is an established situation, it is hard to change. 

At this point I feel hopeless, getting salty and what not. How do you capitalize on these kind of games? 
I really don't want to blame my team here, even tho they could have done better positioning. I did not do great that game either.

Makes sense that you didn't do great, as the other team probably did the same. They all hide.

As they hide, there are no points to score. BTW if yiour tam is fantastic, you also will not do great.

Becasue the adversary die so fast, you cannot get any either.

Here in my T6 Normandie I did rather well score wise. But we still lost. I would not post this if it was an exception. To my experience it is a a big chunk of my games that end like this. 

This means your team was actually not THAT bad (compared to the other team).

Because at least they managed to survive long enough for you to score some points.

It also says you are they best of the potatoes (and maybe the only one that was NOT a potato)..

Is there something I can do to motivate my team better? How do I read the games a such, even when they go in my examples I can get the most % out of it to win it? 

I have found a way against campers, but it is not really making your team any better. 

Also, it will only work in DDs, OP cruisers or something like Hood.

I sneak around ad try flank the enemy,. This senmds some out of hiding and may start interesting play.

And sometimes they do NOT come out of hiding, well then either I get shot or I manage to kill a few.

It doesnt mean your team gets better, it just (sometimes) means they have to become active.

'Duh, even then they sometimes just run. 

What I did find is that the 'follow me I am going in' doesn't have the wanted effect... 

• Cool 1

Players
392 posts
5,773 battles

Embrace the inner potato!

Seriously though, better than average games are about map awareness and making those correct split second decisions. If you  hitting islands you are not paying enough attention to your map awareness. It's also about using your team mates to enhance your game. Even if it's only to throw them under the bus to cover your withdrawal. 

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
1,108 posts
1,524 battles

Oh, and about stats, there's something fishy.

Last vacation I was playing with my son LOTS of games. 

SO, we had NO single games, and we always played in division 2 or 3.

Or even more when the Clan had a lot of members online. 

But guess what... I got 53WR, and he got 48. Should be THE SAME over those weeks.

Not even that was the weiordest, but he usually ends up in top 3 in his DD (he is quite good).

And I play the BBs and usually I end up somewhere halfway the team.

....and if you think your WR is bad, I got  below 30 when grinding the King George V.

• Cool 1

[HOME]
Players
569 posts
7,627 battles

To further improve your general level of play you have to identify mistakes you keep making which cause this stagnation.

And to be able to identify your mistakes replays would be quite useful. :cap_like:

There is always room for improvement, even for the best players.

It is up to you if you want to invest time and effort in finding the areas where you can improve.

A while back I improved damage record in a battle where I made tons of mistakes. Could have done better, even though it was my best damage game in over 7000 games.

• Cool 2

Players
2,833 posts
5,124 battles
3 hours ago, Linkaex said:

I saw, you play a lot of games solo. In that case, I wouldnt worry too much about WR. Its gonna be north or south of 50% most of the times, not that much you can do about. Other stats are worth more. K/D-ratio, avg dmg, avg kills per game, survivabilty. And they look really decent recently. Also, I personally pay attention on the charts:

5bb3e171e0b97_Screenshot_2018-10-03WoWSStatsNumbersEU-Linkaex-Playerinfoandstats.thumb.png.3b410fd9e8a95b5cce7efab0dd59c73a.png

They are going constantly upwards. As long as this trend continues, I wouldnt worry - you are obviously doing things right and better then before. Just continue this way.

About the replays: I use them myself too. Id like to add, to what @GarrusBrutus said, about identifing mistakes. Its not so easy to spot them right away. As is play a round, watch the replay and see mistakes. I sometimes watch older games (couple months ago or even a year old) and then I think "oh man the fakk I did there?". And thats sort of a confirmation, that you do improve constantly, often without noticing. Still, when you spot such obvious things, they help you build your own playstyle. Everyone from us has its own style, own strenghts and weaknesses. Thats why I, in the long run, learn and improve more from my own replays then from watching youtube. So I really suggest to enable the replays and then turn some key-games into videos (since you wont be able to view older replay-files with the game). OBS Studio is a decent software to record the replays and save them as MP4s.

• Cool 1

Players
203 posts

Bruh stop worrying about your stats and just play the game for enjoyment.

When Wargaming inevitably go bankrupt like all FTP/PTW franchises before them (look at Machine Zones fall from their original meteoric success when Game of War and Mobile Strike both collapses through their arses) nobody will give a single [edited]about your winrate on a game that’s dead. 

Play for now and play for happiness my friend.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,008 posts
10,839 battles

Much has been said. Please try not to get too obsessed with stats. Those losing streaks are part of the deal. They happen to us all.

IDK if it's been said: playing in division increases your skills and WR as well.

• Cool 2

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,964 posts
4,950 battles

So you have 2100+ battles and worry about the last 15? Why not worry about the 2100 before that?

This a computer game, get a grip, stats are only important if you give them importance.

Try finding something IRL that keeps you satisfied, stats in an online game are meaningless...

• Cool 2

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
406 posts
2,643 battles

Thanks everyone for the feedback! :cap_like:

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles

Ignore the recent crap win rate.
Strikes like that will happen.

WoWs believe it or not is like a game of chess.
So, to improve further i would say to spot your psychological mistakes.
-Do you rush early on?
-Do you over extend?
-Do you over commit to a cap or a kill when it is not needed?
-Do you tunnel vision?
-Do you expect help from your team mates?
-Is your target selection good?
-And anything other you might identify your self.

Then we go to the technical aspect of the game.
Focus only 2 lines at a time.You need to learn the pros and cons of each of your ships on each tier. (For example T7 IJN Cruiser Myoko has a totally different playstyle than the T8 Mogami).
When you decide on which 2 lines to work at, go back to tier 5.Watch you tube videos from different people and try to mimic them.
At least 1/3rd of your daily games on these ships should be solo.Focus on improving average damage to "good" or ""great" and win rate to 55%.
To dish out damage you need to stay alive longer and by staying alive longer you will have more impact on the end game and thus the winrate.
Other stats to keep track of(but not actively farm) are Hit Rate (try to get it 37%+ on every ship), k/d, pr.

Do this for all of your t5-7 ships or at least for the lines you like.
At this point you should have a fairly great knowledge of how each line plays.
This knowledge now will start affecting how you approach each situation when you are sailing different ships.

Also, like chess a WoWs match can be divided in 3 parts.
Opening, middle game and endgame and all 3 require different approach.
Although i am too lazy to analyse this now :P

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
659 posts
12,238 battles

@OP Dude its the learning curve, took me better part of 2 years to really be able to carry at a reasonable rate in t10 games, more then a year and something like 5k battles for carrying in mid tiers, and you can get over 50% (im still barely above) only if you can carry since rng will bless you with such potato teams that you will stare at the screen in disbelief... Ie yesterday I go out in kidd go middle cap kill the kagero in it (with cv interfering), cap, see the enemy cv overextend, catch him with pants down and kill him as well, at that time my team relinqished all 3 caps to the red lost other 3 dds and a cruiser and ofc it was a loss by points in the end... Another fight i go out in cossack take 2 caps kill 2 dds and a tirp in process all bbs camp 9-10 line and get torped one after the other by asashio they didnt even try to do anything not defend not take shots at ashashio when he was spoted not even run away just stand there and get slauthered... :cap_wander:

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,301 posts
13,551 battles

Weeel, @Linkaex as for your Hipper game. I don't think you guys had much hope of capping A straight on, considering that all your backup had skedaddled  away and were sailing to B and C. The only thing(s) you might have tried at this point is to either !) Follow them and hope to impact the end result by living to fight later on. OR 2) To perform the "Infamous Hipper-kamikaze-charge" (depends on how much HP you had left at this point tho, you would need at the least 50% to pull it off). By sneaking close to the enemy BB's at E" under the cover of the island there (no shooting, you must remain unseen as long as possible), then burst out from behind the island at 3-4 km to their flank with hopefully their guns pointing somewhere else, then burst out full speed kiting to make their aiming a bit more tricky, steer between them and shoot all your torps from both sides at each BB. You'll probably not survive this, BUT you may get enough hits to sink one or both and give the Z-46 a chance to finish them off and finally cap A. Hipper is surprisingly Tanky that way, I bagged myself a Monty just last weekend doing exactly that (unfortunately without the benefit of island cover, still worked tho). This is high risk and often results in your death, so it is to be used sparingly and with caution. Sometimes you even live through it. :cap_old:

As for the Normandie game, it is impossible to tell without seeing some screenshots from the game itself. End result is not really useful in that respect. It is fairly easy to be the best player in a losing team, but still manage to be the one that screwed up and lost the game for the team. Yeah, it suck but I have dunnit myself a few times too. :Smile_facepalm:

As for 1 week's bad luck, that's nothing Lad! Try 6 weeks of 40% WR... Had that last April/May, while constantly breaking my damage records game after game. Really annoying but ship happens that's all I can say about that. In any case you will notice that quite often you will score higher in lost games than in those you actually win. This is what being the average guy actually means. You get more chances to shine, if the rest of the team sucks and if they play well, you win but possibly will not score so highly. We'll just have to get used to that too, hehehe. :Smile_Default:

oh yeah, forgot to mention. Always keep in mind that for your stats to visibly improve (patience needed), you must win twice more games than you lose. Anything less than that will still improve them, but not so clearly and it will be a drudgery throughout. believe you me... I started with 36% WR, after the first 1.000+ games, went on to 40%+ at about 3.000+ games and it was only then I got to seriously thinking about WTF I am doing anyway and taking some (not all) advise in. So after trying all the ways THAT DO NOT :etc_swear: WORK I have now after 13.000+ battles finally come to a stage, where I am consistently getting over 50%+ results. But it has been a struggle and not always to my merit, uh ehmm... :Smile_amazed::Smile_hiding:

inept.jpg.1cad72ec1ce39fa54597f24f451a7df5.jpg

Just keep at it and keep asking, it's the only way to get forward.:Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[GNG]
Players
70 posts
9,717 battles

Stop caring about stats (especially short-term ones) and just enjoy the game. You should be after the fun and not numbers.

Bad series can happen anytime. I can recall having a night with 13/13 losses and striving to get a single win for a mission.

Improvement comes with time. Just follow the tips the other members have written above :)

• Cool 2