You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Strangefruit

British Destroyers Tiers 5 to 7

49 comments in this topic

Players
109 posts
5,662 battles

What are WG doing with the awful ships they seem to churn out for the British lines. They seem to be just loading them with gimmicks that just don't work in some cases.

DD's Cons: No engine boost, rainbow arc rifles, awful torpedo ranges at tiers 5 to 7, bad concealment, worse smoke generator than cruisers, low DPM. Pros: Short range hydro.

Sorry but why have they made brit DDs so awful? Gallant is a great ship at tier 6 with 8km torps and 6km conceal but go to tier 7 on Jervis and its got 63.km conceal and 7km torps?

• Cool 1

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles
3 minutes ago, Dr_Strangefruit said:

What are WG doing with the awful ships they seem to churn out for the British lines. They seem to be just loading them with gimmicks that just don't work in some cases.

DD's Cons: No engine boost, rainbow arc rifles, awful torpedo ranges at tiers 5 to 7, bad concealment, worse smoke generator than cruisers, low DPM. Pros: Short range hydro.

Sorry but why have they made brit DDs so awful? Gallant is a great ship at tier 6 with 8km torps and 6km conceal but go to tier 7 on Jervis and its got 63.km conceal and 7km torps?

Jervis is extremely strong. 

Torps are situational. Play her right, play with her guns. 360 degrees on all her turrets, with good smokes. Awesome acceleration and handling to dodge, you can even bully cruisers.

If you complain about Jervis you're not doing the right things with her.

• Cool 8

Players
276 posts
3,409 battles

I really enjoyed the Acasta in the 8 games I've played in her. The Jervis I've only played the 1 but seems like she'll be another strong DD with just under 80k damage on the first game.

[W-C]
Players
305 posts
1,448 battles
27 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

Jervis is extremely strong. 

Torps are situational. Play her right, play with her guns. 360 degrees on all her turrets, with good smokes. Awesome acceleration and handling to dodge, you can even bully cruisers.

If you complain about Jervis you're not doing the right things with her

^^I'd second this - even a potato player like me can make her dance! Not so keen on Acasta, and I haven't tried Icarus yet although have got her.

And that basically is the play style - you dance. You have some very potent guns, good hydro and a unique but actually quite versatile smoke. You are the ultimate nuisance - you force DCP's with your HE spam, wreck DD's with Hydro/Alpha HE, and when the situations suits, you have some pretty good torps even if they are short range. You can really make life uncomfortable for anyone... and in tight situations, you have great manoeuvrability to dodge fire. And you'll be surprised how quick that (prem)smoke is ready to use again! It does tend to be a bit 'selfish' playstyle though. Typically, you want to use your smoke/hydro to deal with your DD opposition, then spot for a while, then once enemy are spotted by team mates, smoke up and spam again...

My first 2 games with her were a blast (1st was T7 and 2nd T9 MM) - and that was with no upgrades, only a 3pt captain and me at the wheel!

Spoiler

shot-18_10.02_13_13.08-0186.thumb.jpg.ef25648fd67b11be74f5fcee0438beee.jpgshot-18_10.02_13_35.14-0007.thumb.jpg.5580103f55313494e3f6a6153b725558.jpg

And the later 3 battles weren't much different either...

image.png.4fc84854d514bf5e7d4ff9c1825f4be0.png

Edited by Rusty_9

[CATS]
Players
13,531 posts
10,358 battles
33 minutes ago, Dr_Strangefruit said:

Engine Boost is not that important, they are quick (UK cruiser acceleration) and nimble.

The arcs are better than US DD, concealment is ok too.

I agree on the torps.

The Tier V should get 7km torps.

Tier VII might need 8km torps, but her guns are extremly strong short range, therefore one should wait a bit and see her stats before deciding on an improvement.

• Cool 1

[LOBUZ]
[LOBUZ]
Players
4,216 posts
15,449 battles

They're all either ok or quite strong. Smoke on every demand is a mighty tool, but it makes these ships play differently so average potato will and does struggle.

• Cool 1

[XODUS]
Players
713 posts
3,755 battles
17 minutes ago, Dr_Strangefruit said:

I Completely Disagree 
The Royal Navy Destroyers are perhaps the best Destroyers released since the Pan Asian Destroyers in terms of viability up the line and their abilities. 

Their lack of engine boost is counteracted by the sheer horsepower of their engines, they do not loose speed in a turn (whereas other DD's loose 5+kts in a turn). 
Their Smokes are ideal when combined with their fire chances mean that battleships can be punished with a few fires and then re-position and smoke up again and continue the fire
Their Torpedoes are usable and hit hard, what more can be asked for?

British Destroyers are Cap Contesters, they find a Cap, and they make it their own and defend it heavily and use their agility to get out of trouble, you can smoke up and hydro and cause problems.
You support stealthy destroyers in bullying other destroyers away from caps and then annoying battleships. 
You use your Torpedoes for area denial to force battleships and cruisers away.  

Having played the Jervis 10 times since i got her she is the perfect T7 Destroyer and a match for the Gadjah as the best T7 Destroyer. 
i think 8km torpedoes might make her overpowered.

Basically Play the British Destroyers like the Canadian Hissing Chicken Cobra 

iPPDCRz.png 

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
305 posts
1,448 battles

I know it's a relatively few number of battles (22k) but...

Capture.thumb.PNG.01579cdecc290a44e9078e95d58ad763.PNG

Although TBH, if you haven't got T7/8, that might be affecting judgement:

Capture.thumb.PNG.99fdf7ccecbc4c8e12983abe5ffb34d6.PNGCapture.thumb.PNG.6d7a7ba4bd9a30dd1acb23904e3b7a86.PNG

• Cool 1

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
604 posts
5,897 battles

Jarvis is a blast, one of the funniest and adrenaline packet dds i have ever played. If you give it 8 kms torps it would be insanely op imho. Icarus is more a torpedo boat but can still give troubles to other dds. Akasta is a bit meh

Players
19 posts
1,930 battles

i'm loving the Acasta i received, put a 10 point captain in her and  got concealment expert, hit and run tactics with a bit of smoke for tricky situations, it took awhile but i like how it plays

[UNICS]
Players
289 posts

Jervis is a beast! awesome guns and maneuverability. one of the most fun ships and totally a keeper. She did wonders with a 6 point capt. imagine riding her :Smile_hiding: with 19... points

• Cool 1

Players
274 posts
7,072 battles

Only have the tier 5 and 6 and they are my carry ships for carrying teams full of idiot tier 7s. Had a 6 kill loss in the Acasta which was annoying, lost by 13 points, was me vs 2 tier 6 CVs at the end killed 1 that was in the cap and gave up finding the other as time would have run out...

I find that the shells are fairly easy to land at 10km, and they seem to have really good HE Alpha per shell so combined with the maneuverability and stealth they are great at fighting DDs and dodging aircraft, the torps are good enough for ambushes and for taking out ships rushing your smoke.

Having the acceleration baked in makes up for tier lack of speed I find.

If I actually had luck I could give my opinion on the Jervis, but I don't have it, though the Gadja Mada which in terms of guns and stealth is very similar is one of the best gun boat DDs of the tier and as the Shells are similar to the Haida's I would have no trouble with them too.

Players
2,360 posts
15,164 battles
3 hours ago, Flavio1997 said:

If you give it 8 kms torps it would be insanely op imho. 

Haven't you played Gadjah Mada yet?? It gets much better forward firing arcs, 8km torps, 6.1km concealment, speeds boost and MUCH better smoke!

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,170 posts
4,314 battles
5 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Engine Boost is not that important, they are quick (UK cruiser acceleration) and nimble.

5 hours ago, JaiFoh said:

Their lack of engine boost is counteracted by the sheer horsepower of their engines, they do not loose speed in a turn (whereas other DD's loose 5+kts in a turn). 

Regardless of whether the whole design is good or not, saying that DDs at these tiers with 35-36 knots base speed and no engine boost are quick is a joke and all the acceleration in the world isn't going to provide the full utility of engine boost not just in accelerating but also in reaching a higher top speed. At the respective tiers 5-7, two cruiser lines can keep up with the British DD speed and a third can reach better speeds with speed boost (Emile Bertin reaches it without). And not losing speed in a turn is little consolation when other DDs could have just outrun the cruisers anyway and would thus have no need to dodge shells in that situation.

No idea why you are trying to sugarcoat a weakness though.

[CATS]
Players
13,531 posts
10,358 battles

You are rarely racing cruisers.

Problem is when you get spotted and shot at. Being able to dodge without losing much speed is an advantage to evading and losing a lot of speed or being forced to sail in a straight line in the hope to get out of range quickly.

[BOTS]
Alpha Tester
2,192 posts
8,631 battles

Jervis at tier 7 feels great, a total contrast to the Gallant which feel very weak.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,170 posts
4,314 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

You are rarely racing cruisers.

Problem is when you get spotted and shot at. Being able to dodge without losing much speed is an advantage to evading and losing a lot of speed or being forced to sail in a straight line in the hope to get out of range quickly.

Speed helps stay clear of cruisers, get away when a cruiser appears that might stray into your detection range, it helps reposition. And even if one can say "If you wouldn't misposition that's no issue", the mere fact you cannot as easily reposition reduces flexibility in positioning. 

[CATS]
Players
13,531 posts
10,358 battles

Staying clear of cruiser is usually no problem.

Yes, the repositioning is an issue, but the difference should be small. Especially since the UK DD are not designed for flanking, but designed as fleet DD that screen your team and contest caps.

Players
1,511 posts
1,328 battles

I have fallen in love with the DD's. They feel like the Naval version of the cromwell.

Basicly pick a cap, own it.

When the 25 exp missions tun out on cossack I'll be back to the Jervis.

Players
78 posts
5,399 battles
46 minutes ago, Shaka_D said:

Jervis at tier 7 feels great, a total contrast to the Gallant which feel very weak.

I wouldn't call the Gallant weak. I've had great games in it. OK, I have bad games in it, but 90% of those have been my fault with the other 10% being bad luck, rng and the occasional team that made me wish I could punch people over the Internet. 

The Gallant is one of my go to DDs for fun and the occasional carry. Hell, before the last patch I had a game where I did 70k damage (mostly torp based) with no damage received. 

The Jervis is good though, but I'm only just getting the hang of her play style. 

• Cool 1

Players
392 posts
5,773 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_KriegWurst said:

I wouldn't call the Gallant weak. I've had great games in it. OK, I have bad games in it, but 90% of those have been my fault with the other 10% being bad luck, rng and the occasional team that made me wish I could punch people over the Internet. 

The Gallant is one of my go to DDs for fun and the occasional carry. Hell, before the last patch I had a game where I did 70k damage (mostly torp based) with no damage received. 

The Jervis is good though, but I'm only just getting the hang of her play style. 

Yeah, Gallant is a surprisingly solid ship, the lack of AA is it's only real flaw. I've only made it to Icarus in the Brit DDs, but I expect Jervis to play like GM with less emphasis on torps. As I regularly have 75k games with just the guns in Gadjah Mada I expect it to remain solid with even better anti DD performance. The Brit DDs are the only thing that Gadjah Mada M fears at the moment, and with Gallant's 19 point captain, I expect Jervis to be my go to for fun.

Players
2,360 posts
15,164 battles
8 hours ago, That_Other_Nid said:

Yeah, Gallant is a surprisingly solid ship, the lack of AA is it's only real flaw.

Destroyer AA is irrelevant with defensive AA and CVs hard counter silver RN DDs. The crap smoke doesn't allow you to get close enough without getting permaspotted (aka blapped by BBs with nothing else to shoot at)

The Brit DDs are the only thing that Gadjah Mada M fears at the moment

Nah. There's nothing Jervis can do agasint a good GM player, it eats Jervis for breakfast. Then you can go back to alpha striking BBs with those lovely 8km torpedoes or burning down ships with smoke that lasts 4 times longer.

Silver RN DDs are just massively nerfed Pan Asian DDs. :cap_fainting:

I expect Jervis to be my go to for fun.

Icarus is much better and more fun. Emerald torpedoes don't cut it on a ship with a 6.3km detection and 590m turning circle, esp at tier Belfast. Your kinda screwed without islands.

[XODUS]
Players
713 posts
3,755 battles
22 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Nah. There's nothing Jervis can do agasint a good GM player, it eats Jervis for breakfast. Then you can go back to alpha striking BBs with those lovely 8km torpedoes or burning down ships with smoke that lasts 4 times longer.

I don't Disagree, Gadjah is the only T7 Destroyer that gives me a pause for thought when choosing to engage in Jervis. (Hell only a few of the T8 Destroyers give me pause for thought apart from the Aki)
But the same can be said in the reverse, if i was facing a Jervis in the Gadjah i would also give pause for thought. 

I'd say Gadjah and Jervis deserve to respect each other because i firmly believe that they are the alpha predators of the T7 destroyers, and time will tell to see who reaches dominance. 

Meanwhile i'll happily play both and love them to bits until they get hit with a nerf hammer because the battleships are complaining too much again. 

• Cool 2

[BOTS]
Alpha Tester
2,192 posts
8,631 battles
10 hours ago, Captain_KriegWurst said:

I don't dislike the Gallant, I like the ship a lot, but she feels less 'solid' than many of her counterparts at tier 6, I think it might just be the way she handles in the water. Not sure, but there is a big difference in play compared to the Jervis which feels to me like a DD I can cause pain in.

• Cool 1