You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Ranked "Season 10" - Observations...

44 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,858 posts
8,066 battles

Hi all,

Ranked "Season 10" - Observations

I must confess that I had total "burnout" regarding this Ranked season... constant alternation of "Ranked" / "Clan Wars" / "Events" lead to over saturation and players (me included) really doesn't like it because they feel like they "MUST" do something instead of just playing and enjoying the game... :Smile_hiding:

I have reached my usual goal of "Rank #10" with fewer battles yet (IMHO going below Rank #10 requires too much time and effort - this time there is nice "Steel" reward and I would really really love to do it but I simply have no time).

utuEJLr.jpg

I played 21 games (14 victories and 7 defeats - out of those 7 defeats I was #1 in my team in 4 occasions so I had just 3 reversals in total).

76jYcnJ.jpg

I only played my trusty BBs (I  used my "Alabama" with great success before and this was my first time with my "Yamato):

dQBZzSX.jpg

Discussion

I have played this "Ranked Season 10" very slowly - just a few games per week if that at all - so I experienced battles at the start / middle / end of the season.

I use "MatchMaking Monitor" to see how good/bad players are in both my and enemy team (Please note: for ranked it shows only stats for currently used ship by player in current season).

In most games I was the only player with my ship ("Alabama" or "Yamato") in Ranked Season 10 with WinRate above 50% and with damage worth mentioning - sometimes friendly/enemy ships had OK damage but their currently used ship WinRate in Ranked Season 10 was still below 50%.

Nonetheless teams were rather good and played well despite stats - there was even nice coordination and chat! :Smile_honoring:

There were, of course, instances where1-2 players yoloed and died very quickly but, generally speaking, I was very very pleasantly surprised to see that players know what to do in game! :Smile_Default:

Please note this same behavior happened regardless when I played (i.e. the start / middle / end of the season). :Smile_medal:

The worst part, for me at least, of the Ranked Season 10 were CVs.

As luck (and MM RNGesus) would have it when you have CV in game it usually means that one side has:

• UNICUM "purple" stats CV with 60%+ WinRate, 100K+ average damage and 2 kills per game in their currently used CV in Ranked Season 10

and the other side has:

• BAD "red" stats CV with 30%+ WinRate, 30K+ average damage and 0.5 kills per game in their currently used CV in Ranked Season 10

As one could guess the side with worse CV was doomed from the start... :Smile-angry:

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

I noticed that, perhaps for the first time, we don't have any thread pinned for current (and soon to be over) "Ranked Season 10". @MrConway ?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,876 posts

I didn't really bother with this season. The constant "Tier 10 this, Tier 10 that, Tier 10 here and Tier 10 there" makes me sick of this game. I reached R13 with 3 battles in the Mongqueror, and then I got fed up with ranked entirely, and will not touch it again until it gets reworked completely.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,234 posts
7,069 battles

This Season was bad for me, because I got an unlucky streak of "those" teams that -even in seemingly already won games- do their levelbest to LOSE the game.

It got so bad that I had to switch from Z52 to Yueyang because my team couldn't make use of the Hydro spotting and/or gave not enough support to fight the DD directly.

This resulted in about 50% more games needed than last season which I did with Z52 only. (235 instead of 153)

Now I am just glad it's over and I won't bother with Rank 1 in this form again if they don't up the rewards by a great margin which I can't get in Clanbattles.

I will look into the new Ranked Sprint thingy though. (I couldn't test in in the first PTS round because I was trying hard for rank 1 and just got it yesterday.)

Overall I would say the radar heavy lineups and the normal playerskill degration towards the end of ranked made this Season a misery for DD focused players like me.

The rewards for Ranked 1 is a nice compensation though. :Smile_Default: (also wanted that final Pirateflag badly)

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Players
475 posts
12,520 battles

So close to rank 3 and now can't get to it, bots again... Mates rush die or leave their team unsupported for no reason....
I was told that at rank 5 and after you get good players but this is not the case for sure...

I want that pirate flag but don't see it happening with such teams and few obligations outside of the game.

Fun fact, got the same 2 persons in two consecutive matches, lost.... next match I had them on the opposite team and I won...

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
2,686 posts
9,840 battles
37 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

I didn't really bother with this season. The constant "Tier 10 this, Tier 10 that, Tier 10 here and Tier 10 there" makes me sick of this game. I reached R13 with 3 battles in the Mongqueror, and then I got fed up with ranked entirely, and will not touch it again until it gets reworked completely.

In one word, yes. I went into the season with a hope to get to R1 to get my hands on the Jolly Roger flag. And then I got reminded that it's just a T10 RNG setup where I have to hope that my team isn't made out of brain dead yahoos.

In clan battles I have a team of people I know and communicate well with, I also get solid rewards at low and mid leagues while the upper league rewards are really worth fighting for. I don't see the point in playing ranked if for a single digit rank I get 15 camos and 300 steel, while having to put in an effort that would have brought me 2000 steel and a month of premium in clan battles.

Keeping both ranked and clan battles at T10 also turned me off, as having to constantly play the same ships over and over again is boring. But that's what the mode has become, a boring grind fest without a place in the game.

5 minutes ago, tsounts said:

I was told that at rank 5 and after you get good players but this is not the case for sure...

Ranked stopped being about skill long ago, or was it ever? It's a place where the 39% WR border humper can get to R1 if he presses start often enough.

• Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles

Stopped at Rank 5, because I deemed it far enough. T8 experience was a joke, as I needed almost no games to get to R15 and given what bracket T8 is settled at, carrying the few times isn't exactly hard. Beyond that, I played Hindenburg and Yamato mostly, the two T10 ships I have. Mostly noticed BB is kind of easier to play and if all things go South, keep your star, but Hindenburg got me a higher WR, so I finished on Hindenburg. Also because I am still new to Yamato.

I don't know what my teams were like stat-wise. Some seemed to have a clue, some didn't. I met not one Conqueror that knew how to use AP. Overall did better than last season by virtue of actually having T10s. Wasn't very exciting. I'm more looking forward to T5 (even if it'll be premium fiesta).

[BK]
Players
151 posts
6,740 battles

So broken, stuck 1 week between rank 8, 7 and 6 (8>7>6>7>8>7>6>7...) next time, i won't play it again. Same map again and again... Even randoms is more enjoyable

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
475 posts
12,520 battles
9 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I am another step closer to Stalingrad, lost 10 years of life expectancy as well.

Lol! Watch where the fine line is, ship without commander is no good!

• Funny 1

Players
2,860 posts
5,151 battles
38 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

This Season was bad for me, because I got an unlucky streak of "those" teams that -even in seemingly already won games- do their levelbest to LOSE the game.

It got so bad that I had to switch from Z52 to Yueyang because my team couldn't make use of the Hydro spotting and/or gave not enough support to fight the DD directly.

This resulted in about 50% more games needed than last season which I did with Z52 only. (235 instead of 153)

Im wondering to hear more experiance of DDs. For me, it was some of the worst games ever when playing DD. When you permaspot & targetmark a braodsiding cruiser and that thing still has 80% of his health after 2 mins (no joke). Or your team is absolutly incapable of stacking damage to targets, that you mark them as "DCP used". Nothing happens. I had to switch back to Cruiser and do these things myself. Given the sheer number of stupids in BBs, I suppose, BBs would have worked quite well also.

Conclusion: Worst Winrate ever (I gotta say, I feel a little ashamed of it, but seriously: when you sink 4 ships with a Benson and deal 130+k dmg with 3 caps AND lose...eeh), stopped at R11.

Best moment of this ranked-season: One guy, that started TK:ing our DD right on spawn last week - promised him to get the replay to WG - went NUTS yesterday towards me in ingame chat - apperently he couldnt play ranked and / or randoms anymore for 2 weeks. So nice of him, that he let me know about it! Else I´d never knew if he really gets a punishment.:Smile_medal:

• Funny 3

[VAR]
Players
598 posts
7,669 battles

As mentioned earlier I used 60 or so matches to get to rank 7 and the next 130 matches to get back to rank 10, ranked is so flawed that if you dont make it to rank 1 the first week you are almost certainly going to get stuck at some point in a cesspool of bad players that doesn't understand map strategy and/or what is expected of the different ship classes

Only a super unicum can carry in ranked and after the first week they are way ahead of you anyhow unless they are mortally ill or heavily amputated ... or both

But then again, I got 2,5K steel out of this season so only 10 more years to go to get Stalingrad :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

[NED]
Players
4,020 posts
10,879 battles

Actually I found this season to be rather ok. I got to R10. Which was my goal more or less. I lack the patience to play a few hundred stress games in a vain attempt to ever get to R1. And that's mainly because of my lack of skill. As usual the toxicity of the "self proclaimed admirals" mainly drove me away. People who don't have any clue what they're doing seem to think they have the right to fulminate at others for playing their role. Getting reports because I held a good position in a BB where I could inflict max dmg with minimal risk mistaking for camping grew old on me quickly. OC I screwed up occasionally. We all do.

Also I drew the conclusion I will use Ranked primarily as a mean to gather resources. 99% of the matches are landslides anyways. So I won't bother strapping on signals and the only prem cons I'll use will be DCP. I find the others a complete waste because I don't need them anyway.

On 10/2/2018 at 1:02 PM, Ulvesnutepostei said:

Only a super unicum can carry in ranked

I've been clicking around a bit on wowsnumbers. No hard numerical conclusions I can draw but from what I saw even the deep purple players need 130-400 matches to get to R1. I must admit I also thought those players and active CC's would rank out without any effort. But apparently they don't and need to struggle a lot as well.

• Cool 1

[_MIA_]
Players
2,886 posts
5,347 battles

I dont really play much ranked per day, which probably was my problem. Started like ~1 week into the season, and it went very smooth until the last 14 days of the season. I was R9 at that time. My goal was to have 4000 steel (got 1500 from a SC) which means i would have needed 2 more ranks... just didnt happen. Suddenly i entered some kinda alternative Ranked universe where it was impossible to get anything done. Played almost 20 battles on R9 alone with a WR of like 30% or so :cap_wander_2: Then i gave up - the stupidity was just too big to handle.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,234 posts
7,069 battles
1 hour ago, tsounts said:

That statement is true though! (the trick is you have to get there within the first or maybe second week)

1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

Ranked stopped being about skill long ago, or was it ever? It's a place where the 39% WR border humper can get to R1 if he presses start often enough.

Well if you keep a good pace and have a lot of time in the first week then it is actualy about skill, because that will make the way to rank 1 much shorter.

48 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Im wondering to hear more experiance of DDs. For me, it was some of the worst games ever when playing DD. When you permaspot & targetmark a braodsiding cruiser and that thing still has 80% of his health after 2 mins (no joke). Or your team is absolutly incapable of stacking damage to targets, that you mark them as "DCP used". Nothing happens. I had to switch back to Cruiser and do these things myself. Given the sheer number of stupids in BBs, I suppose, BBs would have worked quite well also.

Conclusion: Worst Winrate ever (I gotta say, I feel a little ashamed of it, but seriously: when you sink 4 ships with a Benson and deal 130+k dmg with 3 caps AND lose...eeh), stopped at R11.

Best moment of this ranked-season: One guy, that started TK:ing our DD right on spawn last week - promised him to get the replay to WG - went NUTS yesterday towards me in ingame chat - apperently he couldnt play ranked and / or randoms anymore for 2 weeks. So nice of him, that he let me know about it! Else I´d never knew if he really gets a punishment.:Smile_medal:

Jeah like I said I know what you mean with ships you spot not getting shot at. The sheer frustration to lose like this and also lose your star because you tried to win instead of farming damage.

Nice to hear though that you managed to sort out a rotten egg in the process. Might have saved me a loss too. :cap_like:

Just now, Ferry_25 said:

I've been clicking around a bit on wowsnumbers. No hard numerical conclusions I can draw but from what I saw even the deep purple players need 130-400 matches to get to R1. I must admit I also thought those players and active CC's would rank out without any effort. But apparently they don't and need to struggle a lot as well.

Wow that much?

Nice to hear that my lowest games Rank 1 seasons at about ~150 matches an my highest count being 285 aren't that bad afterall. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,034 posts
11,477 battles
52 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I think that range is huge. There's a massive difference between needing 130 matches and needed 400 matches to hit rank 1.

Looking at the Ship Comrade leaderboards, I can also see a significant number of people who needed less than 100 matches to get it as well. 

Also, there's no way for me to say this without sounding like I am bragging even though I promise I am not, but I didn't struggle at all. This was one of the easiest seasons ever for me. Yes there was a bit of frustration here and there but overall I progressed relatively easily.

And for what it's worth none of the people that I know of that went for rank 1 took more than 250 matches (approx) to get there.

I still think that there are two things that people don't always take into consideration when looking at ranked

1) you can hit a skill wall

2) that skill wall is ever shifting as the season progresses and the players that formed that wall progress

[SCRUB]
Players
475 posts
12,520 battles

Back to 4... Slamming my balls in a drawer is more fun than this...

Of course you can get to rank 1 but it will take lots of alcohol...

It was very nice at the beginning in tier 8 though..

• Funny 4

[5D]
Players
387 posts
19,690 battles
1 hour ago, Ferry_25 said:

doesn't matter how good you are. if you get 40%/50% WR noobs on your team who either yolo and die and the start or sit back in a yamato to save their star then you cant do much. oh and dont even get me started on people who didnt speak english in ranked, i had such a hard time in my midway when i told the team exactly what to do then i see this shim going off alone on the edge of the map, dies to the CV then i just start getting moaned at in some random language. 

• Cool 2

[CHN-P]
Players
34 posts
9,021 battles

I would like to have some people sitting behind than rush to dead at the first 12 minutes.

Alive does mean 80 or 60 points advantages.

One cap advantage to them doesn't mean they will win in the first 10 min. But if someone dead for the Cap, that is a win for them. In this game, defending a cap is much easier than capturing.

Players
83 posts
16,786 battles

Ranked games in a nutshell, carry when you can and save your star when you can't.

• Cool 2

[_MIA_]
Players
2,886 posts
5,347 battles
7 minutes ago, Air_Cheese said:

I would like to have some people sitting behind than rush to dead at the first 12 minutes.

Alive does mean 80 or 60 points advantages.

Yep, those are the best when you literally have won already because 3 caps. Then they here the national anthem of their own country (preferably german or french i guess :Smile_teethhappy:) while steaming ahead, dieing in 1 minute and losing the game, because suddenly the enemies have the advantage in ships, especially BBs, which can just push the caps and force Cruisers away.

What is [edited]wrong in their heads? THey are useless for x minutes, suddenly the glue reaches their brain and they just have to go in and die. Why not stay useless basicly, or atleast so usefull that you prevent the enemies from moving in...

• Funny 2

[CHN-P]
Players
34 posts
9,021 battles
4 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

I played DD in all my ranked seasons S6 to S10. Beside the first season i attended, i got R1 in around 150 battles in S7-S10.

In my experience, I played DD in most case, and only Khabarovsk in S10.

I dont think there is much different between each season.  No matter capping or not, not dying at the first minutes is the only rule for regular DD.

Players
2,860 posts
5,151 battles
5 minutes ago, Air_Cheese said:

No matter capping or not, not dying at the first minutes is the only rule for regular DD.

Bildergebnis für sounds good doesnt work

Seriously - I had a stretch of games, where I was left 1 vs 4. It happened 3x in a row, that when I took that screen and switched to Chapayev. I mean you´d think, when you get their only DD spotted & killed, the team can use this advantage - hell no...

shot-18_09.13_12_56.39-0729.thumb.jpg.fcec6ac408764735a63e350bcbc0797b.jpg

Beta Tester
23 posts
2,280 battles

For me it was the first ranked season I could fully attend because I had finally unlocked some tier X ships - Montana and Hindenburg.

It took me 252 battles at tier X to get to rank 1. I've hit the wall twice:

• at rank 10 for around 150(!) battles;
  • at rank 3 for around 60 battles.

Only around 10-15 of these games were with CVs and honestly maybe 1-2 were decided by skill mismatch of CV players.

I have played most of the games in Montana - I've felt it had much higher impact in early game (than Hindenburg) and star retention rate was not bad too.

The biggest surpise was player quality jump from rank 5. Saving a star was much harder and games were often closer.

The greatest struggle was playing with DDs that did not survive longer than 2 minutes.

Overall I've had pretty good time. I've seen a lot of teamwork, constructive chat and agressive plays. 

The map pool could be bigger as there is very little strategy diversity on each of them.

Looking forward to the next one, hopefully with some new tier X toys unlocked.

[CHN-P]
Players
34 posts
9,021 battles
9 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:
Seriously - I had a stretch of games, where I was left 1 vs 4. It happened 3x in a row, that when I took that screen and switched to Chapayev. I mean you´d think, when you get their only DD spotted & killed, the team can use this advantage - hell no...

First rule doesn't means you will be guaranteed a win out of it :D

Specially with only one DD in each side and you sunk it. Then your team: cheers! dd dead, lets push!..

Why don't you just not try to kill the dd:cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

Players
2,860 posts
5,151 battles
22 minutes ago, Air_Cheese said:

Specially with only one DD in each side and you sunk it. Then your team: cheers! dd dead, lets push!..

Why don't you just not try to kill the dd:cap_haloween:

You know what: As weird, crazy and stupid as this sounds - I came to the same conclusion. When you give your team a good start, an advantage, certain players stop to care and will eventually throw it.

• Cool 1