You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
El2aZeR

Aircraft spotting and smoke

21 comments in this topic

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,947 posts
13,449 battles

So, I've just finished watching the new How It Works video. It has left me with one rather big question that I had hoped would get answered:

Does smoke actually block aircraft line-of-sight?

We know that islands don't block aircraft vision, but being in smoke does. That made me assume for the longest time that even if you had smoke between you and aircraft they would still detect you if they're within range and my experience in playing and playing against CVs never led me to believe otherwise.

But fairly recently I had this occur:

Spoiler

DXu1zCC.jpg

These fighters are clearly within my air detection range, yet they're not spotting me. I'm not in the smoke either, just right next to it.

And perhaps most importantly, I'm actually shooting at those aircraft and I wasn't detected until the smoke completely faded. Sadly neglected to take a follow up screenshot (and also neglected to enable replays again), but I did wipe most of them out without being seen.

(I'm sailing into the smoke, yes, but the screenshot also shows the smoke is already fading, meaning I rammed the island and had nothing but the remaining smoke puffs between me and the aircraft, yet I was not detected.)

Is this intentional or a bug of some kind? @MrConway @Tuccy @Crysantos

• Cool 2

[5D]
Players
426 posts
20,011 battles

Yeh I've noticed ships go undetected for a few seconds when I should be spotting them with my planes. This has been happening ever since the last patch

[ITA_C]
Players
203 posts
6,335 battles

Maybe will be like this after rework people asked for cv to act more like other ships and so this is how it work for all other ships, unfair for the actual gameplay anyway

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,921 posts
8,281 battles

Hi all,

2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

So, I've just finished watching the new How It Works video. It has left me with one rather big question that I had hoped would get answered:

We know that islands don't block aircraft vision, but being in smoke does. That made me assume for the longest time that even if you had smoke between you and aircraft they would still detect you if they're within range and my experience in playing and playing against CVs never led me to believe otherwise.

Hide contents

DXu1zCC.jpg

These fighters are clearly within my air detection range, yet they're not spotting me. I'm not in the smoke either, just right next to it.

And perhaps most importantly, I'm actually shooting at those aircraft and I wasn't detected until the smoke completely faded. Sadly neglected to take a follow up screenshot (and also neglected to enable replays again), but I did wipe most of them out without being seen.

(I'm sailing into the smoke, yes, but the screenshot also shows the smoke is already fading, meaning I rammed the island and had nothing but the remaining smoke puffs between me and the aircraft, yet I was not detected.)

IIRC it was said by WG that Smoke = column of infinite height and thus different from islands which have definite height...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[FRDF]
Players
182 posts
2,810 battles

I have also noticed this in the Operation Dynamo when someone smokes next to me and suddenly I'm not spotted anymore even though I'm still shooting at the planes.

• Cool 1

[5D]
Players
426 posts
20,011 battles

if it was an intended change it wasn't communicated. or at least not very well. but its a nerf to CVs so who cares lol.

[ITA_C]
Players
203 posts
6,335 battles
26 minutes ago, Mr_Snoww said:

if it was an intended change it wasn't communicated. or at least not very well. but its a nerf to CVs so who cares lol.

Average joe is smiling 

[MORSE]
Players
256 posts
639 battles

As far as I’m concerned, if you fire your main guns,you be spotted by the planes(provided there is no one else that has LOS to you.)

[NED]
Players
4,077 posts
11,176 battles

I think you shouldn't have spot those planes if it weren't for the friendly fighters. So you didn't see them but those planes did. That's my best guess.

[ITA_C]
Players
203 posts
6,335 battles
14 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I think you shouldn't have spot those planes if it weren't for the friendly fighters. So you didn't see them but those planes did. That's my best guess.

Anyway ship in smoke or hidden by should not be allowed to fire at planes even if planes are spotted by someone else it make sense with ships because they are large target but how an aa operator could fire to planes throught smoke even knowing the zone where they are .

I know it's arcade but that don't mean it have to be so silly

[NED]
Players
4,077 posts
11,176 battles
4 minutes ago, Torped1ne said:

Anyway ship in smoke or hidden by should not be allowed to fire at planes even if planes are spotted by someone else it make sense with ships because they are large target but how an aa operator could fire to planes throught smoke even knowing the zone where they are .

I know it's arcade but that don't mean it have to be so silly

Oh but that's an entirely different discussion. Indeed it's silly ships can magically see through smoke because others are spotting for them. It's also as silly to be able to make a smoke screen in a hurricane, planes/ radar/ sonar being able to see through mountains, AA being able to shoot through said mountains, ships vanishing away with their Romulan cloaking device after exactly 20 seconds, torpedo's detonating by merely touching their propellersor torpedo spreads that sink off after having traveled exactly 10,00000000 km. And I can make an even more extensive list of those examples. Those are all game mechanics.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,406 posts
4,569 battles
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

These fighters are clearly within my air detection range, yet they're not spotting me.

They are still trying to deny the harsh reality of their impending doom, brought about by "Secondary and AA guns enabled". RIP

But no, I have no clue how it works.

• Funny 1

Players
3,098 posts
5,420 battles
2 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

IIRC it was said by WG that Smoke = column of infinite height and thus different from islands which have definite height...

Yes, I recall this statement aswell. However, it didnt work this way, only since the last patch. I was rather confused a couple of times in the Dynamo-OP, when I was shooting planes from outside my smoke at ~2/3 km and I wasnt detected. Only to draw the conclusion: there is a smoke between the plane and me, it must be blocking the sight now. so:

3 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

Yeh I've noticed ships go undetected for a few seconds when I should be spotting them with my planes. This has been happening ever since the last patch

Confirmed.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,161 posts
2,300 battles

Hmm this should be able to be tested in the training room quite easily. Might have to go have a look later

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,947 posts
13,449 battles
8 hours ago, Torped1ne said:

Maybe will be like this after rework people asked for cv to act more like other ships and so this is how it work for all other ships, unfair for the actual gameplay anyway

Judging from the leaked gameplay video ships will require LoS to fire AA guns, but aircraft spotting remains the same.

This ofc can still be subject to change. But then again neither is this the point of the thread. I just wanted to clarify whether these mechanics are working as intended.

[TENGO]
Players
1,546 posts
8,660 battles

17 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

I just wanted to clarify whether these mechanics are working as intended.

Are you trying to make sense of the game's inner workings again? You should know that's bad for your health by now...

• Funny 1

[NED]
Players
4,077 posts
11,176 battles

I watched flambas this evening and he had exactly the same situation. Behind smoke but in detection range of planes and not spotted.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,726 posts
10,607 battles
20 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Hide contents

DXu1zCC.jpg

I've had plenty problems with this mechanic from the point of view of a DD. I normally assume that smoke won't hide me from planes unless I'm going to be inside... but not because I know it doesn't work - it does work sometimes. But I just don't have enough grasp on HOW this works - I'm unable to predict the outcome of, say, throwing smoke behind myself while trying to run away from planes (and enemy fleet behind them). It MIGHT hide me. I've sometimes seen it working. But I have no idea when and how it works - and when it doesn't.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,921 posts
8,281 battles

Hi all,

I found interesting thread on Reddit about it:

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

There is also 2nd thread but it just links to above one:

• Cool 1

[OGHF]
Players
544 posts
10,421 battles

Could be wrong but if i remember from patch notes (not sure when) smoke unlike islands has no ceiling, so planes  can not look past smoke or over smoke, also a smoke screen that a DD lays between your BB and the red team ships, your BB’s can stealth fire as long as there are no planes or ships that can spot from around the  sides of the smoke screen.

Can some one confirm if ths is correct as I believe it is the correct answer.