Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lord0

IFHE for Gearing?

15 comments in this topic

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
160 posts

So, 

IFHE for Gearing? Yes or no and explanation of your decision please.

Players
277 posts
3,410 battles

I have little experience in the Gearing, but I would say no, due to having so many other more useful skills.

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
396 posts
6,939 battles

No it doesnt allow pass of any armor tresh holds, only calibers that benefit are 152-155mm, ijn 100mm DD and upcoming british DDs 113-114mm guns. 

152-155 allow penetrating 32mm plating same goes for IJN 100mm since it has 1/4 pen rule, british high tier that use sub 120mm guns need itnto penetrate even DD 19mm plating. 

• Cool 1

Quality Poster
2,953 posts
7,938 battles

1. Bonus from IFEH: Gearing has 127mm guns that can penetrate 1/6 of it's caliber without IFHE. That is: 20mm. With IFHE this value increases up to 27mm. So not enough to penetrate the 32mm armour that is present on most ships she can meet.

2. Which skill would you drop for IFHE anyways?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,236 posts
7,080 battles

No.

Gearings normal HE pen is plenty enough for what it's supposed to do as explained by others above.

My Gearing Bulild if you are interested is:

1: Preventive Maint.

2: Adrenaline Rush + Last Stand

3:  BFT + Survival Expert

4: Concealment Ex. + RDF

I play it as an offensive DD hunter which work perfectly well from my experience. Lately Gearing got Powercreeped by Yueyang Z52 with buffed Hydro and Harugomo for that role though.

tl,dr: It just gives no benefit while you have to give up a useful skill (CE or RDF in case of my build).

[CATS]
Players
13,678 posts
10,389 battles

The 127mm would profit from IFHE, but the main targets of your guns are DD and there it does not really make a difference.

Shooting at other targets can be done, but is not really efficient (even with IFHE) and in the current meta not advisable.

Players
404 posts
5,849 battles

With the stock torps and both the captains skill and the torpedo module, you can get torp reload down to 81 seconds. The 5" don't really set fire consistently and the base 21ish mm pen of the HE is enough for all the DDs you might meet. 

Before I respeced the Chang Mu I shot a Worchester to bits and you can generally shoot up some T8 ships with the IFHE, but generally no, there are other better options. Save IFHE for DDs of T7 and below who have lots of 25 mm targets to shoot at and a much better fire chance. 

[POI--]
Players
3,196 posts
4,348 battles

IFHE on 127 mm guns allows you to pen other Gearings (21 mm hull) and cruisers. The issue is, shooting contests with cruisers are kind of sketchy (also because 30 mm sections of T10 CAs are still off-limits) and 4 points is a lot. Likely better to just bet on fire RNG, aim for superstructure or at closer ranges, switch to AP.

Players
686 posts
7,950 battles

From my own perspective: No.

I have tried IFHE on my Gearing and Benson, with no exception, I was disappointed with it so removed it..

I do far better with DE as a skill as I get better damage results from standard HE fire against BB's or CL's than shells equipped with IFHE; also standard HE does well smashing the secondary guns or Anti Aircraft mounts off ships thus helping your allies if they also come in for the kill with ships or aircraft.. Players can forget that if you strip an enemy BB of its' secondaries or AA mounts allied CV's or other DD's have a better chance sinking them..

Against other DD's I also only use HE as I have been very disappointed with AP results.

Players
117 posts
1,241 battles
2 hours ago, Miessa3 said:

No.

Gearings normal HE pen is plenty enough for what it's supposed to do as explained by others above.

My Gearing Bulild if you are interested is:

1: Preventive Maint.

2: Adrenaline Rush + Last Stand

3:  BFT + Survival Expert

4: Concealment Ex. + RDF

No SI? I am currently sitting at tier 6 USN destroyer and with a 9 point captain, it's mainly the reason I ask :)

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,236 posts
7,080 battles
11 minutes ago, Hyperion84 said:

No SI? I am currently sitting at tier 6 USN destroyer and with a 9 point captain, it's mainly the reason I ask :)

I picked BFT over SI for the 10% DPM edge in a kill or die/lose knifefight with other DDs. Most of the sensible Tier 3 Skills can be swapped in for BFT though depending on taste/playstyle.

You like your long smoke utility? pick SI

You want to get more out of your Torpedos that are the superior longrange Torps over IJN ones (really WG why is this still a thing)? pick Torpedo reload

You want to trade your range to make your Torps deadlier? pick torp acceleration

You find yourself in DD knifefights very often and a few thousand hitpoints would make the difference? pick BFT

I feel like Survival expert is a mustpick for Hightier gunbased DDs though.

In the end it's all about min/maxing. Super Intendent on Grozovoi will always make more sense than on Gearing.

I feel Gearing is the classic DD hunter type DD so I went for BFT as this is useful in most of the games with my playstyle.

• Cool 1

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
314 posts
9,781 battles
3 hours ago, Guillotine said:

No it doesnt allow pass of any armor tresh holds, only calibers that benefit are 152-155mm, ijn 100mm DD and upcoming british DDs 113-114mm guns. 

152-155 allow penetrating 32mm plating same goes for IJN 100mm since it has 1/4 pen rule, british high tier that use sub 120mm guns need itnto penetrate even DD 19mm plating. 

IJN now also has 1/4 pen on HE? I thought only German and UK got that?

Players
1,198 posts
3,451 battles
16 minutes ago, Lieut_Gruber said:

IJN now also has 1/4 pen on HE? I thought only German and UK got that?

Only on the 100mm guns, i.e. Akizuki/Kitakaze/Harugumo/Harekaze hull 2 main guns and Zao secondaries.

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles

CE + RPF are two 4 points skills that are way more valuable than being able to pen 27 mm.

IFHE on gearing is kinda useless.

Sign in to follow this