Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
elblancogringo

Hood vs Scharnhorst

99 comments in this topic

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles

Hi guys

I plan on buying one of them, but I can't decide which one.

I already have german and british premiums, so the captain training is not to be taken into account, only the ships themselves.

I like accurate guns (BBs standards of course), and Hood looks nice and rewards good aim, which I love. But on the other hand, fast reload of the Scharn is also appealing.

Which ship is better in terms of tankiness?

Which ship would you choose, and for which reason? Hood or Scharnhorst?

Thank you, have a great day.

[SCRUB]
Players
477 posts
12,551 battles

I don't have Hood but do like my Scharnhorst a lot even though guns are very trollish sometimes, one match you are scoring citadels on cruisers and the next you are scratching the sides of tier 5 ones...

Beta Tester
1,814 posts
2,026 battles

I'd choose the Scharnhorst any day. Not because she's necessarily the better ship, but for several other reasons.

- The Scharnhorst is one of those lucky premiums that have a truly unique playstyle, without being overpowered. She has way faster fire rate and turret traverse than most other battleships, but pays for this by packing less of a punch. This means that while she can be a terror to any cruiser she might face, she should be wary when engaging other battleships. Trading punches on a one-to-one basis with another battleship will likely not be to her advantage, unless she can use her torpedoes to settle the issue. On the other hand, her lower gun calibre also means that she can occasionally do full AP damage when hitting a destroyer, which is hilarious.

- The Scharnhorst has worse gun accuracy than the Hood, and by a rather large margin at that. On the other hand, she is far tankier. She is ideal for backing up allied cruisers and battleships in close support, having the ability to absorb way more damage than the Hood and still live to fight on. The Hood is better at medium range, in the role of an opportunistic flanker. She is by no means as fragile as a cruiser, though, so don't be a border hugger in any case!

- The Scharnhorst is, in my opinion, probably the most beautiful ship in the game. And this counts for quite a lot in my book.

• Cool 5

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,892 posts
11,301 battles

Both are viable and as pretty as one another...

Hood is a mid range Cruiser hunter and super tank when angled. Has excellent firing angles and speed so you can stay at your optimal range and protection. 

Scharnhorst is a brawler. Probably the best German BB in game for that when the tier is taken into consideration.

I enjoy both :cap_cool:

• Cool 9

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
2 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I'd choose the Scharnhorst any day. Not because she's necessarily the better ship, but for several other reasons.

- The Scharnhorst is one of those lucky premiums that have a truly unique playstyle, without being overpowered. She has way faster fire rate and turret traverse than most other battleships, but pays for this by packing less of a punch. This means that while she can be a terror to any cruiser she might face, she should be wary when engaging other battleships. Trading punches on a one-to-one basis with another battleship will likely not be to her advantage, unless she can use her torpedoes to settle the issue. On the other hand, her lower gun calibre also means that she can occasionally do full AP damage when hitting a destroyer, which is hilarious.

- The Scharnhorst has worse gun accuracy than the Hood, and by a rather large margin at that. On the other hand, she is far tankier. She is ideal for backing up allied cruisers and battleships in close support, having the ability to absorb way more damage than the Hood and still live to fight on. The Hood is better at medium range, in the role of an opportunistic flanker. She is by no means as fragile as a cruiser, though, so don't be a border hugger in any case!

- The Scharnhorst is, in my opinion, probably the most beautiful ship in the game. And this counts for quite a lot in my book.

Are we talking about the same Hood here?

Anyway...

3 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

I like accurate guns (BBs standards of course), and Hood looks nice and rewards good aim, which I love. But on the other hand, fast reload of the Scharn is also appealing.

Which ship is better in terms of tankiness?

Which ship would you choose, and for which reason? Hood or Scharnhorst?

Thank you, have a great day.

Both of them tick most of these boxes. Both are accurate, fast and tanky T7 BBs that can at times lack a bit in gunpower. I own both, I like both. 

Scharnhorst has the edge over Hood in dpm on paper. The fast reload allows Scharnhorst to slap cruisers around like few others and broadside BBs will feel the hurt. The flipside is, the low caliber guns don't overmatch any BBs except T5 ones and you can struggle to do decent damage as soon as an opponent angles. From a pure gameplay balance perspective, Scharnhorst is nice, because it offers a strong alternative gameplay style to Gneisenau, while at the same time a properly played Gneisenau can dominate a Scharnhorst easily. Apart from the low caliber though, the gun handling is great. Note that it is fairly accurate as the sole German BB to still have 2.0 sigma (though with German base dispersion, so don't expect this to be Nagato)

Hood is somewhat similar in role, but due to the lack of close-range assets, excels more at mid-range. Hood's guns similarly lack in penetration, being RN short fuze AP. In return however, they get improved ricochet angles and short fuze allows you to cripple and kill cruisers and DDs quite efficiently. Whereas Scharnhorst has lower pen due to lower caliber, Hood's larger caliber at least still allows overmatching of T7 BB armour and you can reliable get penetrating his, as long as you don't shoot at the belt at long range or when angled (aim hhigher for upper belt in such cases, or just the bow. Hood's gun handling apart from that is great too. The guns also have excellent traverse speed and angles which allow you to fire salvos with giving the most minimal broadside. Hood showcases that sigma isn't everything, as the ship has 1.8 sigma, but with the RN base dispersion, the shells still fly where you aimed at, with somewhat standard deviation you should be used to if you played any RN ship that isn't Warspite.

In terms of tankiness, both are ridiculously tanky, if you know how to handle the ship. Scharnhorst has the better armour of the two. Like Gneisenau, the ship has 50 mm deck, a very thick 350 mm belt good upper belt and 70 mm lower bow (25 mm upper bow), so you might still shrug off hits to the waterline, instead of getting overmatched and citpenned (though if a ship can shoot over this at close range, they could still citpen you. I already experienced this once. But only once). If you know how tanky Gneisenau is, well, this ship is just the same. Hood meanwhile has a slightly different tankiness. Hood has less belt, a vulnerable citadel when showing broadside and no funny lower bow armour. It still gets 51 mm of deck though, its belt is sufficient to shrug off shells when angled and it has 67k hp. This is the highest hp pool of all T7 BBs (edging out Nagato which sits at 65k) Add a repair party that repairs 60% pen damage (normal British repairs) and gun angles that don't necessitate you ever giving too much broadside to a target and you can basically be one of the hardest to kill T7s in the game, if not the hardest at range.

Lastly, speed-wise, Scharnhorst does 30 knots, which is great, Hood does 32 knots, which is the joint best with Gneisenau. Hood has slower acceleration than Gneisenau, but once it gets going, it handles decently well, with just your standard large turning circle for large ship.but just for turning in and out and wiggling a bit at range, there's no real issues.

Personally, for novel experience, Scharnhorst is likely better, though if you aren't into small guns, Hood is solid too. It's basically the T7 equivalent of Kongo.

10 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Scharnhorst is a brawler. Probably the best German BB in game for that when the tier is taken into consideration.

Gneisenau has better secondaries, main guns that can overmatch and 2 knots better speed. Scharnhorst has the better knockout punch into flat broadside, but I'd say tier for tier, for brawling the crown goes to IFHE Gneisenau.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,892 posts
11,301 battles
10 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Personally, for novel experience, Scharnhorst is likely better, though if you aren't into small guns, Hood is solid too. It's basically the T7 equivalent of Kongo.

Gneisenau has better secondaries, main guns that can overmatch and 2 knots better speed. Scharnhorst has the better knockout punch into flat broadside, but I'd say tier for tier, for brawling the crown goes to IFHE Gneisenau.

Yeah, Hood is the British successor to Kongo in game. Amusing as Kongo was originally a British design.

Gnesi is probably marginally better although arguably the 6 guns she had are appalling accuracy wise, at least Scharnhorst gives you more dice to play with. Scharnhorst close range AP pen is as good as anything else, minus the over match potential. Scharnhorst is great to have as a German BB trainer if you're into the whole German BB brawler style, put the captain in a Bismarck or GK etc 

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
1 minute ago, Negativvv said:

Gnesi is probably marginally better although arguably the 6 guns she had are appalling accuracy wise, at least Scharnhorst gives you more dice to play with. Scharnhorst close range AP pen is as good as anything else, minus the over match potential. Scharnhorst is great to have as a German BB trainer if you're into the whole German BB brawler style, put the captain in a Bismarck or GK etc 

I mean, with secondary Gneisenau, the dumbest thing to do would be to go for a close range pass, as you basically trade your ships to torps. Best would be to just try stay angled within 8 km of Scharnhorst and work the ship over with secondaries and main battery. Overmatch is not exactly minor. It's one of the reasons why for example my Dunkerque is much more happy with Scharnhorsts than Gneisenaus, one of them being unable to overmatch and having 10.5 cm guns that don't do much, while the Gneisenau has main guns that overmatch and base pen on the 12.8 cm guns that tear into your ship.

Beta Tester
1,814 posts
2,026 battles
20 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Are we talking about the same Hood here?

Reading your post, I realize that I have obviously yet to learn how to tank properly in the Hood. I have by no means as extensive an experience of her, as you do.

Players
789 posts
6,869 battles

I love both. They have some play style differences, which might be relevant:

• Both struggle to do damage with their guns -- especially against BB's -- and this is something you have to be willing to live with. But both are tanky, and you can build up decent numbers by surviving.

• While both tank well, Scharnhorst is easier to tank well in.

• Scharnhorst transforms into a high-damage ship in brawls -- you have strong secondaries (but they max out at 8 km) and torps. Hood just feels awkward in brawls.

• Both are fast, but Hood is faster -- fastest for her tier at 32 kt (33.6 kt with Sierra Mike).

• With the speed and lacking of brawling prowess, Hood is more "battle-cruisery". When playing her, I often think of her in terms of where I want to divert enemy's attention. I'm sitting in this huge "damage piñata", which can occupy the enemy's attention for a long time, and I have the speed to take her to a tactically useful position.

• Hood AA is ludicrously strong if enemy CV is crazy enough to come for you. Scharnhorst AA is more universally useful.

In general, Scharnhorst is a ship that's extremely relaxing to play. Fast, tanky, you can brawl if necessary, effective AA. Hood is trickier but also more unique.

• Cool 3

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,892 posts
11,301 battles
2 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

I mean, with secondary Gneisenau, the dumbest thing to do would be to go for a close range pass, as you basically trade your ships to torps. Best would be to just try stay angled within 8 km of Scharnhorst and work the ship over with secondaries and main battery. Overmatch is not exactly minor. It's one of the reasons why for example my Dunkerque is much more happy with Scharnhorsts than Gneisenaus, one of them being unable to overmatch and having 10.5 cm guns that don't do much, while the Gneisenau has main guns that overmatch and base pen on the 12.8 cm guns that tear into your ship.

Hmmm...

I played Gnesi back in the day as a really bad mid range BB. This is pre Hood days when Tirp as a mid range Cruiser killer was popular too.

Scharnhorst torp rushes are how I've always played her. That golden lol moment when you torp a ship either side of you is always worth it :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
760 posts
4,585 battles

I prefer the Scharnhorst over the Hood.

The Hood is quite a long ship and I think it suffers in turning circle because of that.

I like the secondaries on the Sharnhorst and it does have those torps for a close-in surpise.

Players
1,579 posts
3,385 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

But Hood is certainly not far behind...if even behind

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
5 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Reading your post, I realize that I have obviously yet to learn how to tank properly in the Hood. I have by no means as extensive an experience of her, as you do.

It's a great ship, though a bit underrated. I'm still sad many people think so poorly of her. 

1 minute ago, Negativvv said:

Hmmm...

I played Gnesi back in the day as a really bad mid range BB. This is pre Hood days when Tirp as a mid range Cruiser killer was popular too.

Scharnhorst torp rushes are how I've always played her. That golden lol moment when you torp a ship either side of you is always worth it :cap_haloween:

I played Gneisenau first for the grind, but later when I realised that it had more of those lulzy 12.8 cm secondaries per side than Kurfürst, I rebought it just to see if I could get an 18 pt IFHE secondary spec going. Achieved 14 pts a few days ago, so now I have secondaries that are reasonably accurate out to 8 km and can pen 31 mm and fire every 4 seconds base. It makes it so cute when you run up to support the DDs and some spotted RN DD tries to go for the torp rush with its 7 km torps. Or when some cruiser tries the same. Or when you brawl something like a KGV or Nagato and they bleed hp before you even have time to unload torps. With IFHE, I can only imagine the fun of being able to secondary melt something like a Richelieu or kite a Tirpitz (bow is 32 mm after all and where most secondaries would land on a chasing ship).

Gneisenau isn't really that mid-range, just because it has bigger guns. It plays the mid range game like Scharnhorst, but really comes into its own when it gets to brawl and the 38 cm guns give it a nice pen that really hurts when you can derp them in point blank.

Beta Tester
1,814 posts
2,026 battles
8 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

But Hood is certainly not far behind...if even behind

I agree. The Hood is one fine-looking ship! Especially in her Ghost Ship, "From the Seabed" camo pattern!

8 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

It's a great ship, though a bit underrated. I'm still sad many people think so poorly of her. 

I do not think poorly of the Hood. On the contrary, I hold her in high esteem - she's a beautifully made, well balanced premium ship with a great history, and she is also well represented in the game. This thread asked me to make a choice between two great ships, and so I picked the one I like best. But my advice to OP would be: Take them both! You will not regret it! :Smile_coin:

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
6 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I agree. The Hood is one fine-looking ship! Especially in her Ghost Ship, "From the Seabed" camo pattern!

I do not think poorly of the Hood. On the contrary, I hold her in high esteem - she's a beautifully made, well balanced premium ship with a great history, and she is also well represented in the game. This thread asked me to make a choice between two great ships, and so I picked the one I like best. But my advice to OP would be: Take them both! You will not regret it! :Smile_coin:

I'd say, both are great ships indeed and worth it. I'd say though that for those with a tighter budget and more patience, it might be well worth waiting for special offers. Both together cost like 70 Euro, I personally got them for I think 50ish, due to sales and coupons.

Players
1,579 posts
3,385 battles
43 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Really? I think thats the only dark spot on Hood's beauty in the game. I think that the skin is horrendous (not a fan of these zombie ones anyway) because the colors are just horridly flashy. WG even openly lies to us when proclaiming that it is historical. But Bismarck's isnt much better either. That event was pretty much failure in my eyes.

On the other hand they did a good job with that black and white camo she received. Repulse (or Renown, not sure right now) had the same and it was planned for Hood as well, but she never received it. I think she looks best in it. And kudos to WG for including home fleet grey skin as well, i would never thought that they have balls for that after Tashkent and Prinz Eugen...although one nitpick: i would prefer if that skin change the color of her blast bags to white as well

120814020554-hood-port-horizontal-large-

• Cool 3

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,892 posts
11,301 battles
2 minutes ago, jss78 said:

• While both tank well, Scharnhorst is easier to tank well in.

• Scharnhorst transforms into a high-damage ship in brawls -- you have strong secondaries (but they max out at 8 km) and torps. Hood just feels awkward in brawls.

• With the speed and lacking of brawling prowess, Hood is more "battle-cruisery". When playing her, I often think of her in terms of where I want to divert enemy's attention. I'm sitting in this huge "damage piñata", which can occupy the enemy's attention for a long time, and I have the speed to take her to a tactically useful position.

• Hood AA is ludicrously strong if enemy CV is crazy enough to come for you. Scharnhorst AA is more universally useful.

Hood teaches you to angle as without it your citadel can get raided!!

But yeah you out last others in Hood and if a game isn't a face roll you will catch up on damage.

Beware of Hood AA as the good stuff (rockets) are very easily nuked. Pretty any HE will strip you of them almost instantly...

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,803 battles

Good thread and good question.

1) I love both ships in terms of how they look.

2) Both are great fun to drive, but in very different ways

3) In my view, both offer a variety of BB play that is different to the rest of their lines

4) I can make Hood work, but, even as I enjoy driving her, I have failed to get the Scharnhorst to work for me (same issue with Bismarck for me).

Some very good posts in this thread :)

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
33 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Hood teaches you to angle as without it your citadel can get raided!!

But yeah you out last others in Hood and if a game isn't a face roll you will catch up on damage.

Beware of Hood AA as the good stuff (rockets) are very easily nuked. Pretty any HE will strip you of them almost instantly...

You also need AFT and AA range mod to make the range worth a damn on the rockets. I'm actually using my 14 pt Fiji captain on the Hood, though I can say it's likely a more valid approach to forget you have defAA and spec into more tankiness. Thankfully it's a premium, so I can as well just use a RN BB captain.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,814 posts
2,026 battles
1 hour ago, puxflacet said:

Really? I think thats the only dark spot on Hood's beauty in the game. I think that the skin is horrendous (not a fan of these zombie ones anyway) because the colors are just horridly flashy.

Now that you say it, it does have a certain 'zombie' look to it. I must admit, I like it mostly because of the originality of the design. I wouldn't want a zombie fleet, though. If I had to pick one camo pattern for the Hood - for "keeps", so to say - I would probably choose that gunmetal grey one that was included in the overpriced original bundle. It has an understated elegance about it.

Beta Tester
1,154 posts
1,373 battles

Have both, like both, think Scharnhorst is probably easier to play and more forgiving.

Both are not reliable damage dealers though. 

Beta Tester
893 posts
8,685 battles

I always manage to do more damage in the Scharnhorst, than the Hood. I love the Hood as a ship, but her dispersion, and her lack of penetration can make her frustrating to play. Yes you can go very fast, but to where? run away perhaps.

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. Based on your comments, I will choose the Hood, for its unique playstyle among the British BB line, as I already play all my german BBs as brawlers. Even though after reading you I want to buy both! Maybe later :)

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,803 battles
13 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. Based on your comments, I will choose the Hood, for its unique playstyle among the British BB line, as I already play all my german BBs as brawlers. Even though after reading you I want to buy both! Maybe later :)

Good choice, both now and overall :)

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
35 minutes ago, Akula971 said:

I always manage to do more damage in the Scharnhorst, than the Hood. I love the Hood as a ship, but her dispersion, and her lack of penetration can make her frustrating to play. Yes you can go very fast, but to where? run away perhaps.

I do less damage in Scharnhorst than I do in Gneisenau, which is comparable to my Hood. I pin it down to personal playstyle. Dispersion isn't really bad, as can be seen in the plotting graphs of LWM in her review of the ship. The lack of pen can help with cruisers and DDs (as do the improved ricochet angles)You can citpen cruisers from lulzy angles, even those that would otherwise tank you.

As for why to go fast... repositioning and chasing down targets. The nice thing with 32 knots max speed is, you don't have to do 32 knots, if you don't want to. You can also sit at 16 knots half speed angled towards a target to keep a certain distance, able to power up and run off if it gets too problematic. Also it allows you to get to key objectives at the same time as cruisers, while a Colorado or Nagato is still making its way there and you can run down cruisers that are often too slow to get away.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this