Adm_Ballsey

How to Play British Destroyer Line Hms Icarus Wows World of Warships

9 comments in this topic

[-TFD-]
Players
35 posts
10,109 battles

hey everyone,

I was lucky enough to get the hms Icarus mission from one of the reward crates in the current british destroyer event now in its second week.
I've played about a dozen games in it so far and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised despite the fact I only had a 10point captain in it so far.
Check out the highlight reel I put together showcasing some of its strengths. 

Have you played the ship yourself and or what do you think of it?

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
618 posts
5,648 battles

I really liked it, a great brawler vs same and lower tier, gets rekt by Leningrad/Minsk/Mahan but you can get some good licks in and disengage to mitigate that.

• Cool 1

[-TFD-]
Players
35 posts
10,109 battles

Yes Mr_Tayto, I thought the same, against the bigger tiers you really need to buddy up or play the hit and run game and death by a 1000 cuts strategy but its a good little ship and fun to play.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
245 posts
7,187 battles

The guns are strange. I repeatedly had an HE shell on an enemy DD doing 7k dmg, maybe even detonating it. No IFHE. Do you experience similar powerful HE shells? Do RN-DD-guns have any special properties explaining that?

Players
364 posts
2,747 battles
3 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

The guns are strange. I repeatedly had an HE shell on an enemy DD doing 7k dmg, maybe even detonating it. No IFHE. Do you experience similar powerful HE shells? Do RN-DD-guns have any special properties explaining that?

Detonations are random chance as far as I know, when your shells hit near the ship's magazine. As for 7k HE shells, when a single shell does a fraction of that, it sounds like a bug. Give a replay and maybe it'll get fixed, or at least clarify the situation. Also, IFHE doesn't increase HE shell damage, only the penetration (by 30%)

• Cool 1

[-TFD-]
Players
35 posts
10,109 battles

@HMS_Kilinowski I'm pretty sure you detonated your enemy dd with a direct hit on his magazine. Just on a personal note I don't recall any unusual shell physics or results like you have mentioned. If you have it recorded check the kill feed above the mini map at the time and you can see for sure that the enemy dd detonated.

[DAVY]
Players
245 posts
7,187 battles
3 hours ago, Centurion_1711 said:

Detonations are random chance as far as I know, when your shells hit near the ship's magazine. As for 7k HE shells, when a single shell does a fraction of that, it sounds like a bug. Give a replay and maybe it'll get fixed, or at least clarify the situation. Also, IFHE doesn't increase HE shell damage, only the penetration (by 30%)

1 hour ago, Adm_Ballsey said:

@HMS_Kilinowski I'm pretty sure you detonated your enemy dd with a direct hit on his magazine. Just on a personal note I don't recall any unusual shell physics or results like you have mentioned. If you have it recorded check the kill feed above the mini map at the time and you can see for sure that the enemy dd detonated.

Thanks guys. It's probably as simple as you say. I am just not used at detonating DDs with DD guns. Thought it takes more punch to do that. Well, looks like I got some people a bunch of detonation flags.

• Cool 1

Players
2,672 posts
12,096 battles
On 30/09/2018 at 9:59 PM, Adm_Ballsey said:

*Snipped*

Thank you for this. For a mere DD potato such as myself there were some useful tips there! :Smile_honoring:

(I desperately want to like RN DDs, so this is very valuable to me)

Also, congratulations on having a voice that I could listen to even if it was only reading out random words from a dictionary.

• Cool 1

[-TFD-]
Players
35 posts
10,109 battles

@Admiral_H_Nelson Thank you very much Sir and I'm glad. That's exactly what I was aiming for to provide useful information that hopefully could help those who took the time to watch it. I had some real fun playing with the Hms Icarus
and if any tips I could provide help you enjoy it more then it's time well spent. o7

Sign in to follow this