Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Praevasc

How to deal with AFK?

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[HUN]
Players
69 posts
1,669 battles

These days it's a very rare exception to fight a battle without at least one player being AFK (away from keyboard). This severely affects the outcome of the battle, especially if the highest tier ship in a mixed tier battle (or heaven forbid! A carrier!) is AFK.

 

It might be that the player is bored and browses while the game is alt-tabbed as it is searching for a battle and the player forgets about it, or it might be a real life emergency, or it might just be a loss of connection. Still, the effects on the battle are the same.

 

Would it be possible (or desirable) for a bot to take control of that ship after 5 minutes of inactivity? It wouldn't be too powerful of a boost for the team, because

- bots are worse than human players, in co-op you would usually not have a winrate under 90% even if you deliberately tried.

- starting 5 minutes later already dooms a battle if both teams are equally skilled.

 

However, it would be still marginally more fair than nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,671 posts
12,833 battles

How to deal with it?

 

Report and ask all other players to report too. *Edited

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to promoting bad behavior in-game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,398 posts

The game is already dealing with AFK players. They'll get punished for it and banned to co-op only if they do it regularly. There is not even a need to report them.

 

Just deal with it. Sometimes you'll have an AFK on your side and sometimes on the other. It will balance itself out and sooner or later the players who do it intentionally sort themself out. The others, those with actual problems of some sort, are as screwed as you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALONE]
Players
1,292 posts
10,313 battles
20 hours ago, Praevasc said:

These days it's a very rare exception to fight a battle without at least one player being AFK (away from keyboard). This severely affects the outcome of the battle, especially if the highest tier ship (or heaven forbid! A carrier!) in a mixed tier battle is AFK.

 

It might be that the player is bored and browses while the game is alt-tabbed as it is searching for a battle and the player forgets about it, or it might be a real life emergency, or it might just be a loss of connection. Still, the effects on the battle are the same.

 

Would it be possible (or desirable) for a bot to take control of that ship after 5 minutes of inactivity? It wouldn't be too powerful of a boost for the team, because

- bots are worse than human players, in co-op you would usually not have a winrate under 90% even if you deliberately tried.

- starting 5 minutes later already dooms a battle if both teams are equally skilled.

 

However, it would be still marginally more fair than nothing.

5 minutes? In a game which maximally lasts 20? Too long. 3 minutes should be enough to be replaced by a bot. 

More than ~3 such "accidents" in a day in any PvP mode should result in being restricted to co-op for a week. 

More than 5(? 10? 15? ... not more) in a week in any PvP mode should result in being banned from the game for a week.

Repeating this should be punished exponentially harder. :etc_red_button:

 

20 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

How to deal with it?

 

Report and ask all other players to report too. *Edited

*Edited

 

20 hours ago, Egoleter said:

The game is already dealing with AFK players. They'll get punished for it and banned to co-op only if they do it regularly. There is not even a need to report them.

No. For now it is enough to just barely move at the end, for example. Too weak. 

Quote

 

Just deal with it. Sometimes you'll have an AFK on your side and sometimes on the other. It will balance itself out and sooner or later the players who do it intentionally sort themself out. The others, those with actual problems of some sort, are as screwed as you are.

I pay for the game (or invest in it in "f2p" way) and I expect game administration to do their job and "deal with it" :fish_glass:

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to non-constructive content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,671 posts
12,833 battles
20 hours ago, Egoleter said:

The game is already dealing with AFK players. They'll get punished for it and banned to co-op only if they do it regularly. There is not even a need to report them.

 

There might be no need, but it makes me feel a bit better :cap_haloween:

 

20 hours ago, EdiJo said:

*Edited

 

*Edited

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to disrespectful comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,421 posts
10,075 battles
20 hours ago, EdiJo said:

5 minutes? In a game which maximally lasts 20? Too long. 3 minutes should be enough to be replaced by a bot. 

More than ~3 such "accidents" in a day in any PvP mode should result in being restricted to co-op for a week. 

More than 5(? 10? 15? ... not more) in a week in any PvP mode should result in being banned from the game for a week.

Repeating this should be punished exponentially harder. :etc_red_button:

*Edited

 

 

On topic: no, no and just deal with it. Chance sees to afks getting distributed evenly over time. And honestly having one player less 12v12 given the current amount of glue sniffers playing the game is hardly the any big challenge - it may even be an advantage!

Edited by Nohe21
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to Off Topic content.
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALONE]
Players
1,292 posts
10,313 battles
17 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

not sure if joking or real?

real :fish_glass:

Quote

 

punishing people for loading slow would be stupid and punishing the costumers for WGs laziness.

I am a bit tired of listening to people who can't fix their OWN stuff blaming WG for their laziness (or incompetence) :cap_horn:

Quote

If you have a slow pc meeting the minimum specs for the game it is completely ok to load slow - and other games make it so the game don't start untill every player has loadet.

 

my previous pc loadet 2-3 mins into the game and it more than met the minimum specs.

It is not about "meeting minimum spec". You can have Supah-GigaHertz-MegaCPU-HugeRAM machine hooked to a gigabit fiber and still have clogged Windoze or faulty cable or (your) network congestion or 1000000 other (your) problems not fixed. 

Quote

 

maybe WG should be restricted to playing coop? :cap_tea:

but it's ofcoz easier to blame WG. When (sometimes) it is WG's fault, MOST of (or at least vocal many) people have the same problem in the same time. If tens of thousands of people manage to load properly, but you can't, it is YOUR fault. Why is it so hard to admit? :fish_palm:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,421 posts
10,075 battles
11 minutes ago, EdiJo said:

real :fish_glass:

I am a bit tired of listening to people who can't fix their OWN stuff blaming WG for their laziness (or incompetence) :cap_horn:

It is not about "meeting minimum spec". You can have Supah-GigaHertz-MegaCPU-HugeRAM machine hooked to a gigabit fiber and still have clogged Windoze or faulty cable or (your) network congestion or 1000000 other (your) problems not fixed. 

but it's ofcoz easier to blame WG. When (sometimes) it is WG's fault, MOST of people have the same problem in the same time. If tens of thousands of people manage to load properly, but you can't, it is YOUR fault. Why is it so hard to admit? :fish_palm:

FYI i reinstalled that pc like 10 times and it was running on a 100 Mbit connection because for some reason WOWs kept crashing windows every 3-6 games no matter what i did or which windows I ran it on (despite having no problems with all my other games). Even buying a completely new computer didn't fully fix the issue, nor did moving to two other places. 

 

Maybe the reason it is 'always wgs fault' has something to do with how notoriously incapable the company is at fixing their [edited] compared to any and all other proper game developers.

 

You may of course feel free to diaagree, but this is my experience with WG. I have never seen games remotely so plagued by bugs if made by Ubisoft or blizzard or for that matter console developers. If it wasn't for my love for the game I would have left long ago, and I am certainly not going to recommend WG to any of my friends despite loving one of their games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[FDUSH]
Players
1,044 posts
6,183 battles

Report them if after one min of started the battle the ship doesn't moves.

 

16 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

punishing people for loading slow would be stupid and punishing the costumers for WGs laziness. If you have a slow pc meeting the minimum specs for the game it is completely ok to load slow - and other games make it so the game don't start untill every player has loadet.

 

Seriously... The "slow pc" thing is NOT an excuse.

I run this game in a Phenom II X3, (albeit overclocked to 4 ghz) which is a processor from 2011. Also I used to run the game on a mechanical hard disk and used to run it with an Ati Radeon HD 6790. (Nowadays I use a ssd 128 gb to load the game and a radeon 580, but with the same processor). It's a computer which back then costed me only 600€ (monitor included) so, it's a very cheap computer.

With these specs the game fully loads with 10 seconds of spare before the beginning of the battle. Currently loads with 30 seconds of spare.

So, if my really OLD computer loads before the beginning of the battle then the only explaniation it's that they have a ton of crap in virus and stuff, or they re waaay too cheap to get something minimally decent.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALONE]
Players
1,292 posts
10,313 battles
21 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

FYI i reinstalled that pc like 10 times and it was running on a 100 Mbit connection because for some reason WOWs kept crashing windows every 3-6 games no matter what i did or which windows I ran it on (despite having no problems with all my other games). Even buying a completely new computer didn't fully fix the issue, nor did moving to two other places. 

 

Maybe the reason it is 'always wgs fault' has something to do with how notoriously incapable the company is at fixing their [edited] compared to any and all other proper game developers.

 

You may of course feel free to diaagree, but this is my experience with WG. I have never seen games remotely so plagued by bugs if made by Ubisoft or blizzard or for that matter console developers. If it wasn't for my love for the game I would have left long ago, and I am certainly not going to recommend WG to any of my friends despite loving one of their games.

I agree that the software is not "optimally" written, and it sometimes causes weird effects - for example I recently noticed that my antivir/antimalware is triggered when the game ends, because new executable is spawned. This may possibly be connected with the "no summary screen bug", if for some reason takes too long. 

But still - any reasonably contemporary computer is perfectly able to not only load the game within 2 minutes, but to do whole Windoze restart and rejoining the game in below 3. We have Q3 of 2018 now. I use a machine which was put together by my son a few years ago - once good i7 cpu with old GTX580 eating 244 Watts and a tiny 120GB SSD. 

 

I had many problems, for example stock CPU cooler could not fight 0.25kW GPU heat very well and I had weird crashes in the hottest moments of battles. Limiting max CPU usage to 90% helped. I had problems with my home router, with network cable, with disk space (Windoze doesn't like 0 free...). I had Win10 restarting by itself, I had network hogged by my kids uploading something (ADSL...).  

All of it my problems, not WG's :cap_hmm: 

 

We can safely tell that unless multiple people report some bug (here on the forum, for example), the source of problems is the guy which is not moving...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,421 posts
10,075 battles
24 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

Seriously... The "slow pc" thing is NOT an excuse.

I run this game in a Phenom II X3, (albeit overclocked to 4 ghz) which is a processor from 2011. Also I used to run the game on a mechanical hard disk and used to run it with an Ati Radeon HD 6790. (Nowadays I use a ssd 128 gb to load the game and a radeon 580, but with the same processor). It's a computer which back then costed me only 600€ (monitor included) so, it's a very cheap computer.

With these specs the game fully loads with 10 seconds of spare before the beginning of the battle. Currently loads with 30 seconds of spare.

So, if my really OLD computer loads before the beginning of the battle then the only explaniation it's that they have a ton of crap in virus and stuff, or they re waaay too cheap to get something minimally decent.

Dont remember the exact specs but it was Sandy bridge 2300 GHz -radeon something midrange 6700 & 6800 ish with a 7200 rpm old-style drive. It cost around 1000 $ to build.

Reinstalled clean updated win7  with drivers and vanilla client

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles

Pm them that their bot probably crashed, so they can restart or update their little program.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Administrator
204 posts
182 battles

*Hello guys,

 

I´m closing this thread since it has been slightly derailed from the original Topic, also there´s not much else that can be discussed here.

 

You can create a new Thread for discussions about PC rigs on "Tech Corner".

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/forum/500-tech-corner/

 

Have a nice day!

  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×