Sign in to follow this  
Redcap375

What shall I do with this Monaghan?

11 comments in this topic

Players
1,369 posts
6,120 battles

Chaps...:cap_hmm:

Third ship i have received in a super container for 5 years.  

Knowing it was a ship my eyes lite up then on closer inspection......It's a DD :Smile_facepalm:

By-the-way i'm not much of a DD player but promised myself that i will grind them since RN came out. Enjoying the RN ones at the moment so its very strange that i got one in a container. 

Anyway, which hull should i go for? My brain is telling me to go for the A hull as its like a farra (slightly better maybe?) but my heart likes something different and tier 8 torps in a tier 6 dd could be fun?

Any help would be appreciated before i start kitting it out and spec the captain.  Which do you think has more of an impact in the game....

P.s On the torp build, would TA make it better to catch a moving ship? :Smile_teethhappy:

P.s (again) Would you have defensive AA or Torp reload on the A hull?

Thanks.

Players
103 posts
3,829 battles

Hi, I don't own this ship, but :

you should read LWM's review for the pros and cons of each hull : 

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/161347-premium-ship-review-102-monaghan/

If you don't know about LWM, she writes very detailed analysis of most premium ships. Her reviews are a great source for when you're looking to buy a premium or want to know how to counter one in battle.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
620 posts
5,671 battles

I liked it, play it as pretty much a Farragut but that's a fun ship anyway so I don't mind. I've never actually played the torp hull, I don't like the idea of only having two guns.

• Cool 1

[SOCKS]
Players
675 posts
5,253 battles

B hull is a gimmick and an useless one at that. It'd kinda work if those were great torps but they're benson's. And benson's torps aren't world beaters. Killing half your main armament for ten 55 knot substandard damage torpedoes won't take you far. You're removing yourself from being a cap contester in order to turn into some kind of torpedoboat with crap torpedoes. And woe you if an enemy DD sees you. Even a Hatsuharu can win a straight up gunfight vs Monaghan's B hull. A Hatsuharu. Let that sink in...

So, yeah. Just don't use that hull.

Monaghan's A hull is like Farragut but somewhat better. You lose a gun (well you lose a gun when compared with B hull and A hull farragut. Nobody in his senses uses C hull Farragut, and for a good reason) but on the other hand you win a considerably larger HP pool (thus rectifying one of the biggest drawbacks of farragut) For me the tradeoff is well worth it; DPM wise your guns are good enough and having a decent ammount of HP will guarantee your staying power in combat. Torpedoes in A hull are like farragut's...pretty horrid, but still usable in ambushes.

AAA consumable is yet another gimmick, and wether to use it or not depends on your expectations of the consumable. If what you want is a tool to spoil CV plane's aiming to get you out of a tight spot, it works. But if you are expecting to kill droves of planes, forget it, Monaghan base AAA DPS is quite low (decent for a T6 DD, but low regardless) so the consumable's multiplier won't accomplish much. There's a reason why US destroyers never use C hull options - and Monaghan's A hull is a lot like Farragut's C hull.

The alternative is not exactly a world beater either. A torpedo reload booster that reloads your torps in 30 seconds. And the torpedoes weren't great to begin with. It has situational uses (nothing like watching a BB charging your smoke confidently after having seen your torps miss, only to receive a full stack 30 seconds later, they never see it coming), but it's not the end-it-all consumable either.

So it's down to preference, really.

TL:DR, Stay away from B hull, and if you enjoy mid-tier US DD gameplay, you can't go wrong with this ship. Oh, one more thing - for whatever reason the smokes in this DD are standard, not the improved US Smokes. Minoor difference for me (I tend not to camp smokes because they're torpedowall magnets), but there's that.

• Cool 1

Players
1,709 posts
9,658 battles
On 9/30/2018 at 5:37 AM, Redcap375 said:

Third ship i have received in a super container for 5 years.  

I hate you :cap_viking:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
1,369 posts
6,120 battles
14 hours ago, RAMJB said:

B hull is a gimmick and an useless one at that. It'd kinda work if those were great torps but they're benson's. And benson's torps aren't world beaters. Killing half your main armament for ten 55 knot substandard damage torpedoes won't take you far. You're removing yourself from being a cap contester in order to turn into some kind of torpedoboat with crap torpedoes. And woe you if an enemy DD sees you. Even a Hatsuharu can win a straight up gunfight vs Monaghan's B hull. A Hatsuharu. Let that sink in...

So, yeah. Just don't use that hull.

Monaghan's A hull is like Farragut but somewhat better. You lose a gun (well you lose a gun when compared with B hull and A hull farragut. Nobody in his senses uses C hull Farragut, and for a good reason) but on the other hand you win a considerably larger HP pool (thus rectifying one of the biggest drawbacks of farragut) For me the tradeoff is well worth it; DPM wise your guns are good enough and having a decent ammount of HP will guarantee your staying power in combat. Torpedoes in A hull are like farragut's...pretty horrid, but still usable in ambushes.

AAA consumable is yet another gimmick, and wether to use it or not depends on your expectations of the consumable. If what you want is a tool to spoil CV plane's aiming to get you out of a tight spot, it works. But if you are expecting to kill droves of planes, forget it, Monaghan base AAA DPS is quite low (decent for a T6 DD, but low regardless) so the consumable's multiplier won't accomplish much. There's a reason why US destroyers never use C hull options - and Monaghan's A hull is a lot like Farragut's C hull.

The alternative is not exactly a world beater either. A torpedo reload booster that reloads your torps in 30 seconds. And the torpedoes weren't great to begin with. It has situational uses (nothing like watching a BB charging your smoke confidently after having seen your torps miss, only to receive a full stack 30 seconds later, they never see it coming), but it's not the end-it-all consumable either.

So it's down to preference, really.

TL:DR, Stay away from B hull, and if you enjoy mid-tier US DD gameplay, you can't go wrong with this ship. Oh, one more thing - for whatever reason the smokes in this DD are standard, not the improved US Smokes. Minoor difference for me (I tend not to camp smokes because they're torpedowall magnets), but there's that.

On 30/09/2018 at 9:17 AM, fgibert said:

Hi, I don't own this ship, but :

you should read LWM's review for the pros and cons of each hull : 

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/161347-premium-ship-review-102-monaghan/

If you don't know about LWM, she writes very detailed analysis of most premium ships. Her reviews are a great source for when you're looking to buy a premium or want to know how to counter one in battle.

Many thanks, LWM is a fantastic reviewer of ships and she is still going strong, but it's refreshing to hear other peoples opinions at the coal face. 

For example, LWM prefers the Torp build (Just) for example and says that it doesn't stand up well against a Farragut :Smile_amazed:.

Would the TA (Torp acceleration) skill make them more useful in the B hull? 

14 hours ago, pra3y said:

I hate you :cap_viking:

Come now, your telling me you haven't received a free ship yet?   :cap_fainting:

• Funny 1

[SOCKS]
Players
675 posts
5,253 battles

One on one farragut vs monaghan is going to be a very close contest. Farragut has one more gun. Monaghan has a lot of extra hp. In the end who comes on top is a roll of the rng dice (given equal skill players).

in any other scenario farragut has ... one more gun, but also has a lot less hp. A detected farragut is in some serious deep pool of trouble given that low hp pool because everyone shoots at the DD the second it's detected, and Farragut has a mediocre concealment compared with most DDs of that tier. You'll get hit. And that DD just can't take hits.

So, I favor hp. that means that even if you get detected and are subjected to the inevitable barrage, you have the health pool to manage taking some hits and not become a cripple for the remainder of the game.  So even while 1v1 farragut vs monaghan is more or less a tie, for general usefulness in matches, imo Monaghan is better.

Torp build has it's uses, as I described with the smoke scenario, which is a good instance of it. A BB charging in will be maneouvering until he sees torps coming his way.  then he'll be confident thinking you've shot your bolt, when in fact you're already reloaded by the time he's seen those torps. They never see it coming, specially if you wait for him to be close enough and kick engine booster and charge him towards the side opposite to whichever side his guns are aiming at to do a down-the-throat torpedo salvo, it's an almost guaranteed devastating strike.

But is still too situational, your torpedoes aren't great because they have no range so most of the time you will be gunboating, not torpedoing stuff. The bottom point here is that both DFAA and Torpedo Reload are situational and useful, but neither are specially fantastic. The first is good for the times where lots of CVs are in the queue, to mess up with their attacks if they choose to try to go for you. The second is good for situational scenarios where torpedoes are useful, but those are limited in a ship with such short range torpedoes and which focus is to be firing it's guns. And being 30 second reload (not 5 like with the japanese consumable), it's far from a wonder trick anyway.

Ship is solid with both consumables, just choose what you think you're going to need the best, and go play with it. But ,seriously, use A hull. B hull is a total abherration, whatever LWM might say. Might be OK for a ship with excellent concealment and if they were 10 km 65knot torpedoes dealing 18k damage apiece, but Benson's torps aren't great, at 55 knots they're far too slow, and to top it off Monaghan's concealment is one of the worst at T6 so it's an awful torpedo platform to begin with.

Oh, and the reload on those torps are absolutely abysmal. Worth mentioning aswell. So yeah, the Torpedo Reload consumable is a must for that one. Which is quite counterproductive because the two 5'' mounts you lost in that configuration are traded for 40mm AAA boosting the base AAA stats enough for making DFAA capable of actually killing planes...but you definitely don't want to use DFAA when you're carrying those torps. It's just a mess.

10x 15000 damage 55knot 9.2km torpedoes sounds OK at T6, but not when you're essentially slashing your gun firepower by half and making yourself dead meat against any DD that stumbles upon you (and remember, most of those DDs have better concealment than you too so...yeah). It also kills your usefulness, because, well, good luck contesting caps with only a couple 5'' guns and a concealment of 6.3km, for instance. And of course may the heavenly blesses be with you if you happen to find a british DD (or rather, he finds you). You'll be as good as dead.

• Cool 1

Players
1,709 posts
9,658 battles
3 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

Come now, your telling me you haven't received a free ship yet?   :cap_fainting:

From a SC nope. From grinding missions yeah.

Players
1,369 posts
6,120 battles
3 hours ago, RAMJB said:

Good stuff...

Thank you for taking the time to write that.

[-UKA-]
[-UKA-]
Beta Tester
62 posts
8,775 battles

I like the Monaghan and am running the B hull. my only criticism is the torp reloader is a bit long time wise 30secs is a bit long to wait especially when u basically give up 2 guns for it.

[TS1]
Players
464 posts
7,152 battles

Got the Monaghan through a mission during some American event a while back (also got the Sims). Mid tier US DDs have never really been my thing, but I think it's good for what it is. I like guns too much to find the B-hull appealing. There's one exception though. She's awesome in Operation Dynamo. The B-hull has quite a bit more AA and your surface opponents are just small torpedo boats anyway, so two guns are enough. I think I managed to kill some 70 planes during an operation.

Sign in to follow this