Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jindaiko

Premium ship suggestion: 1903 HMS Swiftsure

6 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
324 battles

I'm a massive fan of the Mikasa; it's fun in co-op and a troll-ship in PVP. I feel like the British need a pre-dreadnought premium of their own, given the Mikasa is basically a Formidable-class battleship with 2 extra 6inch(152mm) guns. However, I don't think adding a Formidable-class ship would be too good; the game and its players requires variation. Therefore I would like to put forward a suggestion for a Swiftsure-class pre-dreadnought. This was the last class of battleships the British made where all the secondaries are placed within the hull, rather than on turrets. The secondaries of the Lord Nelson class would be unsuitable in World of Warships.

HMS_TL_004.jpgc08f2409-df32-4d67-9b12-cb

There were only two ships in the class; HMS Swiftsure and HMS Triumph, both of which were launched within three days of each other; 12th Jan 1903 and 15th Jan 1903 respectively. HMS Swiftsure would be scrapped in 1920, while HMS Triumph was sunk by U-21 in 1915. While neither of the ships had a particularly interesting history, their set-ups are pretty interesting. For reference, I will compare all aspects to the Mikasa.

800px-Swiftsure_class_diagrams_Brasseys_

Primary Armament:

2 x twin 10inch (254mm), 45 calibre. 500lb (227kg) shell @ 810m/s. Not as big and heavy as the Mikasa's 305mm guns, and to make matters worse, the turrets were built so close to the square-shaped superstructure, that their radius of fire is smaller. This could be offset with faster ROF and better traverse speed.

Secondary Armament:

14 x 7.5inch (192mm), 50 calibre. 200lb (91kg) shell @ 843m/s.

14 x 3inch (76mm), 50 calibre. 12.5lb (5.7kg) shell @ 777m/s. This is where the Swiftsure shines. It loses six 14-pounders over the Mikasa, however it's 7.5inch guns overpower the Mikasa's 6inch guns. I would assume the range would be larger, at the cost of reload time.

The ship also has 4 6-pounders and 2 torpedo tubes, both unnecessary in World of Warships.

Armor:

Belt: 76-178mm. This is a whole 2 inches thinner than the Mikasa, surely a weak point for the Swiftsure.

Bulkheads: 51-152mm.

Deck: 25-76mm.

Turrets: 203-254mm. Equal to Mikasa.

Barbettes: 51-254mm. Terrible over the Mikasa's 203-356mm.

Conning tower: 279mm. Bad over the Mikasa's 356mm.

Casemates: 178mm. Better than the Mikasa's 152mm.

Power:

12,500hp (9,300KW).

Speed:

19knots. A whole knot faster than Mikasa. Less power, but with a lack of armor can go a little faster.

How would it play?

A weak primary armament and armor, so staying clear of the tier 3 battleships or even the Mikasa would be a must unless you could get in close and let your 7.5inch guns rip. They would still work well against cruisers, and the shorter penetration could offer better damage on destroyers. Hopefully, if the secondaries had an extended range over tier 3 BBs, this could be better than the Mikasa up close, but worse at a distance. It's a longer, slimmer ship, however, so its turning circle would be quite high; while firepower at close range would be quite awesome, evading torpedoes would be a weak point. Both getting into position and evading at 19knots would also take some time, so choosing where you sail is more important than faster ships.

This is my first suggestion. Any critisisms, please state so I can correct.

• Cool 3

[FDUSH]
Players
1,043 posts
6,163 battles

I have the Mikasa and it's a pain in the [edited]. Very long recharge delay and can't hit an elephant at 2 metters... It would be a really cool ship if we could manually use the secondary weapons (and if these would have a decent range, minimum 8 km)

Players
3 posts
324 battles
On 9/28/2018 at 10:00 PM, Sargento_YO said:

I have the Mikasa and it's a pain in the [edited]. Very long recharge delay and can't hit an elephant at 2 metters... It would be a really cool ship if we could manually use the secondary weapons (and if these would have a decent range, minimum 8 km)

Unfortunately that would make BBs OP. I think many ships, like the Mikasa need a secondary range buff.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:30 PM, triumphgt6 said:

Personally, I vote for the Triumph! :Smile_teethhappy:

It’s a nice name, right? :cap_like:

[SCRUB]
Players
1,872 posts
On 28/09/2018 at 9:00 PM, Sargento_YO said:

We don't need to control secondaries on Mikasa.

What would suffice is if "Manual Secondaries" worked same way on tier 2-6 as it does on 7-10.

I've always been baffled by WG's choice to make this skill usable only on high tiers.

It would now only encourage brawling much earlier it would also add variety to builds.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this