Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ledzepman

Star Preservation

25 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
1,145 battles

Soo

I recently came back to wows a month or two ago, really liking the game I played it a bit a few years ago on a different account sadly lost. I would just like to throw in my two penneth, for what it's worth. 

I have a couple of major gripes about this game, big enough for me to make me stop playing and stop paying. Im sure you all have probably heard these before, and tbh Im not really a big "letter writing" guy as in most cases Im just ok whatevs and move on. But I really like this game, and I feel both of these issues would be easy to address. Feel free to look me up yes my stats are bad I do not profess to be a pro, just from a guy that really would like to play this game but im like, ehh.

1. the report system

LOL you put the control of being banned from chat or blacklisted in the hands of the most salty playerbase I have ever witnessed (2003 eve/entropia). Im not sailing headlong in my dd into that mino dm crowd to spot for your xp? report - banned from talking for a day. Heck if someone doesnt like the fact that I dont play the game they want me to, banned. If someone calls me an idiot for this or that because im a NOOB (which I am lol) and I respond in kind manner, banned. If I do great ( for once) and get that thing where u survive 4 and win whatevs it's called, banned becuase the enemy team is butthurt. If I like Trump banned lol never mentioned Trump but you get the point? Constantly banned because I respond to rude obnoxious people or Im not playing the way they want me to play (btw I only play dds). Im aggressive, I mostly try to cap depending on radar/hydro while also trying to be smart and not die. The "spot dd noob report that clown everyone " from people that only play bb's and have no understanding of avoiding radar and not getting instantly deleted. Ok end rant.

2. And this for me is the deal breaker. I can take all that previous cuz it's a great game no worries. You know what's comming. YES it's the star saver in ranked. Honestly. Just remove that function. It completely RUINS the game mode. In the next ranked season if im still around I will join the star savers, because frankly it's just common sense. Im not bitching about them, it's the path of least resistance the river will flow. But unless you have a solid 7 man team, every single game you play on a random ranked is crowded with people that only play for 1 thing, and yes you can say well it's equal chance on both teams but that's not the point. It makes the function of the gameplay obsolete. wow i liked that last sentence. It makes the function of the game play obsolete.

So anyways thats my impressions if anyone's interested. Enough to make me start looking elsewhere which is a shame because the actual game is great. Cue the "no one cares what u think nub" responses :]

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,869 posts
11,295 battles

Star saving in Ranked actually keeps just as many sane as those who hate it...

I'm glad it's there as I've saved so many losses by being the best performer.

Still WG are likely changing the Ranked format after this one so relax.

• Cool 3

[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles
25 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Still WG are likely changing the Ranked format after this one so relax.

Are you referring to the "sprint" one?

Players
3 posts
1,145 battles

yep no worries I understand that, Ive read a lot of your posts so I have respect for what you say but you understand the point Im making? Ranked in the end is nothing but star saving. I mean, what's the point of playing? Be a star saver or don't bother. I am relaxed, and Ill be relaxed on the the next game I play too. I think you maybe missed the point.

Players
1,417 posts
10,013 battles

star saving is the reason we see 4 BB per match in ranked farming dmg from the back. Because it is biased in favour of damage and DDs get shafted. So yes balance it or remove it please. 

it also forces the glue sniffers to stop saving hp for the next games and go down swinging. 

In either case, my Worchester and Grozovoi approves.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,043 posts
6,159 battles

The main reason of why I don't play ranked battles it's because everybody does a full total lemming train. Only trying to cap a single place and often fails to doing it. Also, everybody camps far behind the map.

So, I take my Cleveland straight into the main battle. Only to find myself being alone and insulted by my own team. Still a couple of times I managed to kill one and even two enemy ships and my team lost but I was number 1 on XP due scouting and damaging.

What Wargamming should do it's to penalize those who hides in smoke screen and all those who stays at 8 km from the nearest enemy. And greatly reward with XP those who goes to the frontline, who pushes despite the dangers.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles
2 hours ago, Ledzepman said:

LOL you put the control of being banned from chat or blacklisted in the hands of the most salty playerbase I have ever witnessed

You have an EXTREMELY limited experience with team-based online games, then. WoWs playerbase is actually pretty tame by comparison with most recognizable titles. WoT is worse, LoL is worse, DotA is even worse than LoL, I've never played the ever-popular shooters but I've heard/read legends... Armored Warfare seems to be better (but it's half-dead) and War Thunder seems ok - only there it might be more of a case of most people not even looking at the chat at all. Maybe it's different in ground forces though (I've played planes only).

3 hours ago, Ledzepman said:

Im not sailing headlong in my dd into that mino dm crowd to spot for your xp? report - banned from talking for a day. Heck if someone doesnt like the fact that I dont play the game they want me to, banned. If someone calls me an idiot for this or that because im a NOOB (which I am lol) and I respond in kind manner, banned.

I'll tell you a secret: you don't get banned for a single report. I've done my share of stupid mistakes (and the opposite - had my share of matches where I humiliated whole fields of tasty poatoes). I've also done my share of salty rambling- I'm no saint in chat. Once I apparently even managed to be salty enough for someone to manually report me through support ticket and grant me a full week of chat ban "for insults and provocation" or something like this. And yet... I've NEVER received the 24h auto-chatban. Not once.

Perhaps it's sell-perpetuating to make it hard to escape the vicious cycle (since being banned often makes it easier to get a chatban again) but to get to that point you really need to work hard, so to speak...

If I like Trump banned lol never mentioned Trump but you get the point?

Actually, if you did try to talk politics in a match I was in, I'd probably report you myself :Smile-_tongue:

Anyway, to sum it up...

Constantly banned because I respond to rude obnoxious people or Im not playing the way they want me to play (btw I only play dds).

...perhaps you should dial down on the responses then. Because it might be that you actually are getting so salty in your answers that other uninvolved players actually disagree with your perception of who's the one rude and obnoxious enough to be worthy of a report.

2. And this for me is the deal breaker. I can take all that previous cuz it's a great game no worries. You know what's comming. YES it's the star saver in ranked. Honestly. Just remove that function. It completely RUINS the game mode.

This method is... well, not very popular among forumites, that's for sure. Including me. But it should be mentioned that "just removing" the function isn't a viable solution. The Ranked system is a star pump. People generate stars by playing and "steal" enemy stars by winning. When someone gives up on Ranked or reaches R1, the accumulated stars vanish from the system - so they need to be generated. And star-saving produces one star per every match that has place - because 7 stars are awarded to the winning team and only 6 taken away from the losers. The star-saving can't be simply removed - it needs to be replaced by something. The "something" doesn't to be very complicated, at worst it could be "you save a star every 7th defeat" (it would keep the numbers up without influencing the playstyle because the gain would be completely irrelevant of what you do in the matches). There are some more sophisticated concepts out there too. The point is, however - it's not as easy as just "remove this mechanic".

In the next ranked season if im still around I will join the star savers, because frankly it's just common sense.

Actually, it isn't. The people who think "I'll save all the stars and sometimes I'll win giving me steady progress" aren't really the problem - they are rare and they usually fail at the first part anyway, preventing them from really progressing far. The real problem is that normal players (who do want to win) have that "mind your XP" mentality buried in the back of their head. And this affects the way they play, makes them more reluctant to take risks, makes them reluctant to do things that are necessary but lock them out of gaining XP etc. Oh, and it also spoils the team spirit - when the match seems lost, the natural thing to hope for is no longer "maybe my teammates can still pull off a miracle and win" - this is much too unlikely. "Maybe they can fail so hard thet they die quickly and I save the star", on the other hand seems much more attainable... Not great for healthy team atmosphere and last-survivor-cheering.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,869 posts
11,295 battles
3 hours ago, SeeteufeI said:

Are you referring to the "sprint" one?

Yes, i haven't been paying too much attention to it but it looks like WG want to try it out next time round...

1 hour ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

star saving is the reason we see 4 BB per match in ranked farming dmg from the back. Because it is biased in favour of damage and DDs get shafted. So yes balance it or remove it please. 

it also forces the glue sniffers to stop saving hp for the next games and go down swinging. 

In either case, my Worchester and Grozovoi approves.

Star saving is double edged. Whilst it can make the grind more comfortable, it also can squish team play. I'll openly admit, I got R1 last season in a BB with a poor WR. I would go days with a poor WR but I worked out how to best farm damage which includes darker tricks like letting a team collapse if you know you're ahead on damage.

Not saying for a second that's a decent way of playing and frankly it's dirty as hell but sometimes the teams in the MM don't deserve any better :Smile_child:

I'm having fun in the Khaba atm and I'm not too fussed if I don't get R1 or abuse from playing an apparently weak DD.

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
395 posts
6,926 battles

Ammount of glue consumed by players every ranked season is getting ridiculous. Ammount of throws and plain bad plays increases longer the season goes, earlier you start better it is. But if you do like me and take 1.5 weeks after first week it only gets worse, you start to wonder how those players even survie the trip to the store. 

If WG doesnt put requirements to ranked and limit ships like BB/DD per game it will be terrible in the future. 

Good frontline BB will always out do the glue eater at 23km. 

[UNICS]
Players
2,776 posts
11,488 battles
11 hours ago, eliastion said:

Actually, it isn't. The people who think "I'll save all the stars and sometimes I'll win giving me steady progress" aren't really the problem - they are rare and they usually fail at the first part anyway, preventing them from really progressing far. The real problem is that normal players (who do want to win) have that "mind your XP" mentality buried in the back of their head. And this affects the way they play, makes them more reluctant to take risks, makes them reluctant to do things that are necessary but lock them out of gaining XP etc. Oh, and it also spoils the team spirit - when the match seems lost, the natural thing to hope for is no longer "maybe my teammates can still pull off a miracle and win" - this is much too unlikely. "Maybe they can fail so hard thet they die quickly and I save the star", on the other hand seems much more attainable... Not great for healthy team atmosphere and last-survivor-cheering.

I think you got 2 ways to progress - if you don't have a ship that is influential enough or just isn't good enough, your best shot might be to save your stars. The issue with this method is that you're competing with a bunch of like-minded individuals who just might be better than you at it. The other method is to just play the team game and do whatever is necessary to support the team mates and try influence the game enough to increase the WR. Means spotting for the star savers and in some cases go down early if the trade is worth it. In dds, if you play to save a star, damage farming in shimas, or whatever, you'll probably have frustrating ranked season, even if you manage to save a star now and then. I think many players, even cruiser and bb players, would actually benefit to leave the star saving mindset behind and just go for the wins instead. 

(not directed at you eliastion, just an addition..)

[5D]
Players
369 posts
19,559 battles
11 hours ago, Negativvv said:

Yes, i haven't been paying too much attention to it but it looks like WG want to try it out next time round...

Star saving is double edged. Whilst it can make the grind more comfortable, it also can squish team play. I'll openly admit, I got R1 last season in a BB with a poor WR. I would go days with a poor WR but I worked out how to best farm damage which includes darker tricks like letting a team collapse if you know you're ahead on damage.

Not saying for a second that's a decent way of playing and frankly it's dirty as hell but sometimes the teams in the MM don't deserve any better :Smile_child:

I'm having fun in the Khaba atm and I'm not too fussed if I don't get R1 or abuse from playing an apparently weak DD.

you're the type of player that made me lose games in my CV. thank god im rank 1 now but it was painful with BBs just sitting back damage farming whilst the enemy pushed their AA bubbles up into the caps uncontested.

• Funny 1

Players
195 posts
15,804 battles

People who think the star saving mechanic should just be removed will have a rude awakening, because we had that in the first seasons of ranked already. You'll get way more players who just set a few waypoints for their ship and go afk if they see that their team has a low chance of winning. You'll have no incentive to deal any damage, because it doesn't matter.

Interestingly, mostly bad players are very vocal about removing the star saving, because the think they deserve a better winrate and only their team is holding them back. The truth is: If you play your matches with the goal to save a star, it'll get you nowhere. It'll end in even more frustration, because you won't advance and you can't save your star every time.

• Cool 2

Players
3 posts
1,145 battles

`I dont think I deserve a better winrate and I dont think my team is holding me back and I freely admit Im a bad player just look my stats up, although I do believe I am getting better as I learn who has what radar at what range, angling citadels armor penetration map awareness etc etc, no doubt as you did when you started playing. I think the star saving mechanic ruins the game. I think WG need to implement some other mechanic that eliminates rewarding self interest at the cost of everyone else. If it was brought in to stop people setting afk you know what whatevs bored already.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,869 posts
11,295 battles
5 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

you're the type of player that made me lose games in my CV. thank god im rank 1 now but it was painful with BBs just sitting back damage farming whilst the enemy pushed their AA bubbles up into the caps uncontested.

No, I'm the type of player you'll never see as I quit the queue when I see CVs...

• Cool 2

[5D]
Players
369 posts
19,559 battles
25 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

No, I'm the type of player you'll never see as I quit the queue when I see CVs...

oh the people who made me wait 20 minutes for a game....

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[SOLO]
Players
14 posts
9,046 battles

I've come to the conclusion while ago, ranked just isn't worth it in the current state, it needs to change, its not fun, if u want to enyoy the game, play randoms with mates 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,869 posts
11,295 battles
7 hours ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

People who think the star saving mechanic should just be removed will have a rude awakening, because we had that in the first seasons of ranked already. You'll get way more players who just set a few waypoints for their ship and go afk if they see that their team has a low chance of winning. You'll have no incentive to deal any damage, because it doesn't matter.

Interestingly, mostly bad players are very vocal about removing the star saving, because the think they deserve a better winrate and only their team is holding them back. The truth is: If you play your matches with the goal to save a star, it'll get you nowhere. It'll end in even more frustration, because you won't advance and you can't save your star every time.

I'd agree mostly.

When I BB'ed last season I noticed there came a point where a game was lost. That's usually when your DDs fail and you've got no radar Cruisers left. At that point it would be silly not to play to farm damage as a win is essentially impossible if the enemy DDs have a brain. Even if that last DD is a Khaba your team is going to be losing on caps if not just killed outright.

I've done Ranked 5 times, 3 in DDs, once in a Cruiser and once in a BB. Some people are salty as they don't understand the tipping point where it's time to play for yourself, the star system isn't perfect but it's sure saved a lot of frustration as I see it as good as a win. On sheer probability with the MM you're going to get streaks both good and bad. If you can damage limit the loss streaks then that's a huge personal boost.

[BONUS]
Players
33 posts
7,173 battles

I also want the first exp thing be removed especially for dmg farming Conq in the back doing fire dmg(fire dmg should be rewarded less then AP dmg since it can be repaired more, and since i can for exemple trigger DCP in my dd with torps and then Conq start fires) but for all of us that mean even longer grind so my idea to balance removing first exp save star is next:

First exp in winning team get a 2 star instead of one for carrying team,  and in the losing team guy who was last by exp losing 2 stars, as a punishment for losing match for his team.

What do you think???

Sry for bad english.

[AAO]
Players
395 posts
6,926 battles
58 minutes ago, Yamato942 said:

I also want the first exp thing be removed especially for dmg farming Conq in the back doing fire dmg(fire dmg should be rewarded less then AP dmg since it can be repaired more, and since i can for exemple trigger DCP in my dd with torps and then Conq start fires) but for all of us that mean even longer grind so my idea to balance removing first exp save star is next:

First exp in winning team get a 2 star instead of one for carrying team,  and in the losing team guy who was last by exp losing 2 stars, as a punishment for losing match for his team.

What do you think???

Sry for bad english.

You can out farm monqueros who play backline with relative ease, hits you deal to cruisers and DDs reward more xp than farming yamato with fire dmg. 

[BONUS]
Players
33 posts
7,173 battles

Trust me not any ship in ranked can stack more dmg without luck, while all other bb need citadel dmg on rarely to see broadsides Conq can just 20km away burn bow on everything, and you are wrong if you think is easyer to citadel cruiser on 20km away with bb ap then Conq to score some 3-4 he pen for stedy 10k dmg and 2 fires every salvo.

Players
195 posts
15,804 battles
7 hours ago, Yamato942 said:

Trust me not any ship in ranked can stack more dmg without luck, while all other bb need citadel dmg on rarely to see broadsides Conq can just 20km away burn bow on everything, and you are wrong if you think is easyer to citadel cruiser on 20km away with bb ap then Conq to score some 3-4 he pen for stedy 10k dmg and 2 fires every salvo.

And another case of someone, not even owning the Conquerer, who thinks he should have deserved to save his star more often.

I have played both Conquerer and Yamato in this season, and the Conquerer is earning way less XP. My average damage is 15k, my winrate 12% (!) better in the Conquerer, but the average XP is pretty much the same.

It might be possible, that fire damage already earns less XP than normal HE or AP penetration damage. But from looking at specific games with a low amount of fire damage, my guess is: the Conquerer's hidden XP multiplier is extremely low! I probably saved more stars percentaged with the Yamato compared to the Conquerer. (And yes, despite the abysmal winrate of my Yamato, it was the ship i used at the end to get from rank 3 to 1.)

[BONUS]
Players
33 posts
7,173 battles

Yes yamato is better in win but Conq is simply the best in lose, yamato because of his gameplay is far more fokused and easyer to do so. Simple, my experience in every ranked i play so far is that Conq cant bring win in winned match so easy, mostly ca or dd did that but in lost  no better to save star then Conq. Yes i dont have it but everyone can make a look on after match stats and see who save the star, btw im 4 rank1, 3 in a raw so kinda know this topic.

Players
195 posts
15,804 battles
1 hour ago, Yamato942 said:

Yes yamato is better in win but Conq is simply the best in lose, yamato because of his gameplay is far more fokused and easyer to do so. Simple, my experience in every ranked i play so far is that Conq cant bring win in winned match so easy, mostly ca or dd did that but in lost  no better to save star then Conq. Yes i dont have it but everyone can make a look on after match stats and see who save the star, btw im 4 rank1, 3 in a raw so kinda know this topic.

So either you didn't even read, what i wrote or you didn't understand anything of it.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,869 posts
11,295 battles

Yam is stronger than Conq IMO.

In fact so is Monty. I know folk who have tried with Conq and had to switch last season. Conq accuracy is trash, it simply can't be relied on and her armour is meh too.

Yam when played properly is better armoured and hits far harder and the guns can be relied on in a clutch. Sure Conq fire damage is pretty insane but it can be healed and it's DoT. A Yam can slap other BBs through the nose for 20k+. 

If you can Rank out in a Conq then that's good work. But from experience I find Yam and Monty are the strongest two BB at T10. Neither have any issues farming Star damage either. 

Sign in to follow this