You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cyclops_

Salem?

33 comments in this topic

[OGHF]
Players
527 posts
10,085 battles

Have enough coal now to get the Salem, so who has got the Salem and what do you think of it, play Wise etc.

Thanks in advance

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,334 posts
12,570 battles

Its a more tanky DM with worse radar and better long range AA. So basically plays just like a DM. 

Weekend Tester
522 posts
4,862 battles

Salem is so similar to DM that I now regret wasting the coal on it; I don't really need two DMs. I should have waited to see if the next high tier "Coal" ship was something a bit different to the silver line counterpart.

• Cool 2

Players
1,470 posts
5,740 battles
1 hour ago, MortenTardo said:

Its a more tanky DM with worse radar and better long range AA. So basically plays just like a DM. 

More or less this, but you can play her way more aggressive (if you so desire) than Des Moines because she has a better heal than Minotaur.

Also: She's a movie star. In the The Battle of the River Plate (1956 movie) she starred as Graf Spee.

• Cool 4

[BONI]
Players
1,019 posts
8,769 battles

Mind that it only comes with +50% EXP camo, unlike any other t9-10 permacamo. It has been possible to earn a better one during Go Navy, but only that one time so far.

Players
1,470 posts
5,740 battles
5 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

Mind that it only comes with +50% EXP camo, unlike any other t9-10 permacamo. It has been possible to earn a better one during Go Navy, but only that one time so far.

tenor.gif?itemid=7676808

fakenewseui0u.png

-3% detection

+4% shell dispersion

-50% repair cost

+20% Credits

+100% XP

Salem also has a 90.000 Credits base repair instead of the usual 180.000 Credits, which means you can push with flags and clan ect. your repairs down to ~25.000 Credits

• Cool 6

Players
1,954 posts
5,895 battles
47 minutes ago, CptMinia said:

Wait for Bourgogne, it is most likely to be the next coal ship.

This is what I'm gonna do. I REALLY like Rich and Alsace (but Rich even a little bit more so) and a premium Frenchy is definitely on my wanted list :Smile_great:

I also have a Wooster and several nice USN premium ships (and I might add an Alaska as well), so I really don't need any more USA premium ships.

And I certainly hope so that Bourgogne will not be another ship to disappear behind a steel wall :Smile_sceptic:

They already have some of the most interesting ships there.

16 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

Wait, Salem has a 50% camo? :Smile_amazed:

I thought it had 100%, exactly like all the other tier 10 camos?

[SCRUB]
Players
558 posts
10,515 battles
46 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

More or less this, but you can play her way more aggressive (if you so desire) than Des Moines because she has a better heal than Minotaur.

In what way is the heal better than the Minotaur's? In fact, I'm pretty sure it heals less citadel damage? 

[BONI]
Players
1,019 posts
8,769 battles
19 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7676808

fakenewseui0u.png

-3% detection

+4% shell dispersion

-50% repair cost

+20% Credits

+100% XP

Salem also has a 90.000 Credits base repair instead of the usual 180.000 Credits, which means you can push with flags and clan ect. your repairs down to ~25.000 Credits

I see, I was going by LWM's review. which are usually trustworthy. Maybe it's just outdated.

• Cool 1

Players
1,470 posts
5,740 battles
26 minutes ago, Freyr_90 said:

In what way is the heal better than the Minotaur's? In fact, I'm pretty sure it heals less citadel damage? 

Yep, 17% according to the wiki. But because of Salems bigger HP pool, with the flag, you print yourself a new ship at a rate of 1192 HP per sec for 20 secs.

And now all the stuff like US Heavy Cruiser, same auto bounce as Des Moines ect. so more likly the target of HE from Cruiser and Destroyer ect. ect.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,743 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, Mandalorianer said:

Des Moines because she has a better heal than Minotaur.

39 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

Yep, 17% according to the wiki.

tenor.gif?itemid=7676808

This is fun :Smile_smile:.

But no, Salem does not have a better heal than Minotaur since she only heals 33 % of citadel damage (same as all other non-RN high-tier cruisers) while the Minotaur heals 50 %. Having more hit points doesn't matter either, since the relative hit point increase is the same for both ships. To put it in other words: the hit points difference is a difference in ship parameters and have nothing to do with the strength of the consumable.

One can argue that having a heal on a ship with a small HP pool is equally valuable as on a ship with a large one, since every hit hurts a lot more. That still doesn't mean that the heal is better though, just that it might be more valuable.

• Boring 1

Beta Tester
1,148 posts
1,358 battles

I'm a long way off in coal terms, but I presume considering that massive coal price there is little point in getting it if you already have a DMs? 

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Players
858 posts
3,869 battles
1 hour ago, MoveZig said:

I see, I was going by LWM's review. which are usually trustworthy. Maybe it's just outdated.

The camo was updated after the review was published, it's discussed later in the review thread (here).

• Cool 2

Players
1,470 posts
5,740 battles
9 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

This is fun :Smile_smile:.

But no, Salem does not have a better heal than Minotaur since she only heals 33 % of citadel damage (same as all other non-RN high-tier cruisers) while the Minotaur heals 50 %. Having more hit points doesn't matter either, since the relative hit point increase is the same for both ships. To put it in other words: the hit points difference is a difference in ship parameters and have nothing to do with the strength of the consumable.

One can argue that having a heal on a ship with a small HP pool is equally valuable as on a ship with a large one, since every hit hurts a lot more. That still doesn't mean that the heal is better though, just that it might be more valuable.

All this mental gymnastics and cherry picking from 3 different posts of mine, keeping essential points out...

And now all the stuff like US Heavy Cruiser, same auto bounce as Des Moines ect. so more likly the target of HE from Cruiser and Destroyer ect. ect.

...just to put me one over...

giphy.gif

But since your social engineering topic a few months ago your on ignore anyway, so don't expect a discussion. :cap_cool:

(Which means: I'm open to discussions about this topic, Just. Not. With. You.)

tenor.gif&key=0cb228f6fda5916dd831bd31eb

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester
1,743 posts
4,631 battles
25 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

All this mental gymnastics and cherry picking from 3 different posts of mine, keeping essential points out...

Except that I listed the most essential stuff (and one post to address the point regarding fake news). The fact that you are arguing against facts is not my problem :Smile_trollface:.

HE-vulnerability from cruisers is literally the same on Minotaur (yet vulnerable to DD HE) so that argument is also moot (not to mention not essential in any way). AP-vulnerability on the other hand...

But since your social engineering topic

I never made such a topic, I merely pointed out that your argument was rather flawed and had a lot of personal bias in it (not to mention dubious sources). And although I have an engineering degree, it is not within the social science courses. I just find it silly to simplify everything into larger "categories" in order to have a uncomplicated world view.

your on ignore anyway

How political correct of you.

(Which means: I'm open to discussions about this topic, Just. Not. With. You.)

Yes, it must hurt when someone points out that you are wrong. So much so that you ignored your own ignore list :cap_haloween:.

Players
3,266 posts
6,851 battles
1 hour ago, tajj7 said:

I'm a long way off in coal terms, but I presume considering that massive coal price there is little point in getting it if you already have a DMs? 

Pretty much, even more so if you grabbed Freedom camo for DM. Unless you want "play Des Moines when playing Des Moines" meme

[SCRUB]
Players
558 posts
10,515 battles

Oh I think I remembered a massive difference between Salem and Des Moines 

You can't put a spotter plane on Salem! 

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,052 posts
9,616 battles
4 hours ago, CptMinia said:

Wait for Bourgogne, it is most likely to be the next coal ship.

Your sure she isnt teh next Clan battles reward? Since Stalingrad tickets are done?

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles
1 hour ago, Spellfire40 said:

Your sure she isnt teh next Clan battles reward? Since Stalingrad tickets are done?

Oh please no.

I want Bourgogne so bad.

[MORSE]
Players
243 posts
598 battles
6 hours ago, Panocek said:

Pretty much, even more so if you grabbed Freedom camo for DM. Unless you want "play Des Moines when playing Des Moines" meme

Think of it as mor FREEDOM

Players
3,266 posts
6,851 battles
8 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

Think of it as mor FREEDOM

That would involve getting Freedom camo for both Salem and DM, impossible without spending money on crates IIRC back in the day

• Funny 1

Players
196 posts
15,815 battles
13 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

No, long range AA is exactly the same, but Salem is lacking the short range aura (which might become a real issue with the CV rework), so it's AA is just worse than DM's.

Another thing to consider: You have to choose between radar or hydro, you can't use both simultaneously on the Salem.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,334 posts
12,570 battles
23 minutes ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

No, long range AA is exactly the same, but Salem is lacking the short range aura (which might become a real issue with the CV rework), so it's AA is just worse than DM's.

You are correct there. 

Alpha Tester
1,743 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

Another thing to consider: You have to choose between radar or hydro, you can't use both simultaneously on the Salem.

Heh, that makes Salem especially inferior to the Des Moines in the Arms Race mode. I can save my coal (when I eventually get enough) for another ship or other items then. Thanks for the information! :Smile_medal: