Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Dirty_Dunc

Domintaion and Destroyers

28 comments in this topic

Players
43 posts

Whilst I realise this is a multiplayer game and it's hard for developers to please everyone, I honestly think there are too many destroyers in the game and too much importance is being placed on their role.

My main concern revolves around the continual use of domination mode, both in random and ranked battles.   Personally speaking, I am growing increasingly tired of watching an entire squadron of destroyers die within the first 5 minutes of a game, leaving the rest of the team to fight a 'lost cause' for the remaining 15 minutes.

I'm absolutely convinced that a great many players don't even know what the objectives of domination mode are , let alone what constitues a winning sceario or even what the points at the top of screen represent.

At least in Standard Battles I don't have to be concerned about what areas are being held or not.  I think Wargaming are asking too much of random teams when it comes to Domination Mode and I would like to see it made an optional game mode, like Co op or Arms Race.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles

I would much rather take 1 suicidal DD than 4 borderhuggers. Atleast the suiciding DD can spot.

And Domination>all other gamemodes.

• Cool 14

[CATS]
Players
13,606 posts
10,385 battles
9 minutes ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

Whilst I realise this is a multiplayer game and it's hard for developers to please everyone, I honestly think there are too many destroyers in the game and too much importance is being placed on their role.

My main concern revolves around the continual use of domination mode, both in random and ranked battles.   Personally speaking, I am growing increasingly tired of watching an entire squadron of destroyers die within the first 5 minutes of a game, leaving the rest of the team to fight a 'lost cause' for the remaining 15 minutes.

I'm absolutely convinced that a great many players don't even know what the objectives of domination mode are , let alone what constitues a winning sceario or even what the points at the top of screen represent.

At least in Standard Battles I don't have to be concerned about what areas are being held or not.  I think Wargaming are asking too much of random teams when it comes to Domination Mode and I would like to see it made an optional game mode, like Co op or Arms Race.

Your post makes no sense.

When there are too many DD and they sink quickly, where is the problem? And if there are less DD that sink quickly, where is the difference?

And if they are important, why do they sink that quickly?

• Cool 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
691 posts
17,414 battles

Solution number 1: play DD yourself.

Solution number 2: give effective support to your DD

Anyway, DD numbers in battle will be capped soon.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
6,915 posts
9,129 battles

Many DDs wouldn't be much of a problem if there also weren't so many BBs that scare away the cruisers that are supposed to counter the DDs ...

• Cool 2

Players
1,419 posts
10,052 battles
1 hour ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

Maybe sail closer to support your DDs instead of watching them die from the map border or from behind a rock waifu. Sounds like the red team figured it out.

Honestly though, the standard of play in Randoms is so terrible that it probably doesnt matter what you did - only what whip you drive.

I get fed up from playing Randoms these days that i stopped playing WoWs (unless divisioned, ranked or CW).

Ranked is a nice reprive from the horrid eternal failtrains of randoms where the 1-2 decent players hold of 10 enemy ships shitting their pants in the corner.

And ppl cry about ranked being full of idiots and glue sniffers :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
619 posts
5,660 battles

Wah wah wah, DDs YOLO to death while I sit 19km away from the cap edge waiting to go boom boom. Pathetic.

DD players get next to no support in caps which they go into to try to earn points FOR THE TEAM. If you think you could do better, by all means show the rest of us. The problem of DDs dieing in caps is because of YOU.

Hidden stats, nice touch btw.

• Cool 4

[VAR]
Players
599 posts
7,672 battles
1 hour ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Where can I buy the Domintaion? It sounds like an amazing ship! :cap_money:

I believe it will be part of the Swiss Tech tree

• Funny 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,695 posts
13,135 battles
14 minutes ago, Ulvesnutepostei said:

I believe it will be part of the Swiss Tech tree

Great! Sorely needed because they have a T10 CV already.

Spoiler

38250058_1803163566433331_46578399345586

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 7

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,159 posts
9,946 battles
24 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Great! Sorely needed because they have a T10 CV already.

Hide contents

38250058_1803163566433331_46578399345586

:Smile_trollface:

"Switzerland is neutral"

almost made me spill my beer :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Players
28 posts
3,322 battles

I'll be the dissenting voice here and agree (kind of) with the OP. 

DDs are important in any game mode - especially where capping / counter-capping is involved. If your team's DDs get wiped out early on (by Yolo'ing or sailing headfirst into heavy opposition, getting mullered and then whining about the BB drivers, CVs, Cruisers, MM, Radar or whatever else makes their early destruction NOT their fault) - you face the prospect of your team being outpaced at every turn until the inevitable loss. Not an awful lot you can do about it unless you are in a fast CL that can run around contesting caps / dodging torp attacks.

I'd class a YOLO'ing DD player on the same level as a BB redline-sniper or a CV player with no comprehension of how to use his/her keyboard - all a dead weight on the team and an active hindrance to getting a win. CA/CL players I have somewhat more sympathy with - since they seem to be caught in the middle and stuffed over no matter what they do...

• Cool 2

Players
250 posts
1,332 battles
4 hours ago, Profilus said:

While on the one hand I think DDs will ultimately benefit most from this (fewer enemy DDs = easier to manage when you get spotted and when you don't), I'm also concerned that WG have gone along with the whinging here, even if it is only a soft cap. Surely playing with a variety of team set-ups is more interesting. There's one class that I regularly see 5 of per team, and it ain't DDs...

(Recently I've been one of those 5 about as much as I've been a DD; this is an observation, not an attack, just in case that wasn't clear)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,820 posts
2,546 battles

Here's a crazy solution to your problem: Actually support your DD's.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Alpha Tester
1,743 posts
4,631 battles
6 hours ago, Profilus said:

In Co-op only, fortunately. The same applies to battleships in that mode as well.

3 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Here's a crazy solution to your problem: Actually support your DD's.

Teamplay in WoWs? From someone who thinks Domination mode should be made optional?

Nah, let's just dumb down the game, remove a bunch of features and simplify the maps into lanes instead of actually trying to improve the border-hugging section of the playerbase :cap_book:.

Beta Tester
1,820 posts
2,546 battles
2 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

In Co-op only, fortunately. The same applies to battleships in that mode as well.

Teamplay in WoWs? From someone who thinks Domination mode should be made optional?

Nah, let's just dumb down the game, remove a bunch of features and simplify the maps into lanes instead of actually trying to improve the border-hugging section of the playerbase :cap_book:.

Considerably less crazy than the suggestion of removing Domination me thinks.

If anything, it's the "normal" battle mode that should get the axe.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
276 posts
3,409 battles
16 hours ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

Personally speaking, I am growing increasingly tired of watching an entire squadron of destroyers die within the first 5 minutes of a game, leaving the rest of the team to fight a 'lost cause' for the remaining 15 minutes.

And I'm getting increasingly tired of not getting support when I'm capping. If I make a mistake and get out spotted I'm on my own most of the time, whilst you glorious BB's sail 20km away from the cap trying not to get your paint scratched.

Not to mention with over 2000 of your 3500 games being at T4-T5 it's hardly representative of standard DD play.

• Cool 2

Players
45 posts
4,175 battles

Here's an option..

Why don't we go old school with all BB's in line ahead formation (Line of Battle) then  have the CL/ CA as a screen  against the waves of DD's each side will unleash.

Obviously this would have to be on the Ocean map for realism sake, no pesky shallows or Islands to interrupt the stately advance of our majestic BB's..

On a more serious note....

DD's Yoloing are a perennial hazard (I know as I've fallen into that trap once or twice myself :( ) but they generally don't get as much support as they could.

It's a game of individuals forced into a team with very little communications, if you win great, if not then review what went wrong and try and learn from it...

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
619 posts
5,660 battles
11 minutes ago, Malfuss said:

And I'm getting increasingly tired of not getting support when I'm capping. If I make a mistake and get out spotted I'm on my own most of the time, whilst you glorious BB's sail 20km away from the cap trying not to get your paint scratched.

Not to mention with over 2000 of your 3500 games being at T4-T5 it's hardly representative of standard DD play.

This. Pipe down OP, or come to tier 8+ and show us how DDs should be played.

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,595 battles

Personally, though I play mostly Cruisers at this time (used to play a lot of DD before, still do some tho). I still prefer Domination Battles, as the Standard Battles often tend to descend into huge campfests. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

Players
43 posts

It strikes me that destroyers seem to appeal to a certain demographic.  Maybe that's why Wargaming continually promote all things fast and have pictures of pretty Dasha displayed everywhere to be seen?

• Funny 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
619 posts
5,660 battles
3 minutes ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

It strikes me that destroyers seem to appeal to a certain demographic.  Maybe that's why Wargaming continually promote all things fast and have pictures of pretty Dasha displayed everywhere to be seen?

Correct.

Intelligence, skill and awareness are all things that successful DD players have.

• Cool 2

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,595 battles
16 minutes ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

Weel, I was 100 years old already when old Methuselah was still in kindergarten and haven't gotten any younger since then. I used to play DD almost exclusively and still play them a lot, so I highly doubt that's true. Also due to a jealous wife syndrome I am not allowed even a cursory glance at anything resembling Dasha. And anyway, sheer survival instinct strongly precludes me from even considering such a course of action. But DD's are simply MOAR fast and fun to play most times. :cap_rambo:

12 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Correct.

Intelligence, skill and awareness are all things that successful DD players have.

Hhehhheh! A good comeback there lad. :cap_like: I just hope those fine Gentlemen actually chanced into the Green Team more often.:Smile_Default:

Players
276 posts
3,409 battles
10 minutes ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

It strikes me that destroyers seem to appeal to a certain demographic.

And it strikes me that BB mains using an Ishizuchi in T4 for the majority of their games appeals to another demographic, seal clubbers.

• Funny 1

Players
43 posts

I love my Ishizuchi and love nothing more than blowing dd's out the water any chance I get.  I also love the angry retorts I get when doing so, as they reaffirm my earlier statement :)

Sign in to follow this