Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
howardxu_23

Torpedo defence system

5 comments in this topic

Question

[MORSE]
Players
242 posts
595 battles

I know that TDS system is supposed to mitigate damage from torps, but I have heard that taking it on the bow is more useful since you can repair 50% of that damage compared to 10% on TDS, but heard somewhere else that taking hits on TDS can be useful in some cases. So I’m wondering how to desired where should I take torps hits on, if I absolutely have to.

Current stragergy  is to take all torp hit on bow, but when all repairs have run out take hits on TDS, since my logic is that I no longer have any recoverable hp left, may as well make whatever left last as long as possible.

4 answers to this question

Beta Tester
21 posts
2,264 battles
9 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

I know that TDS system is supposed to mitigate damage from torps, but I have heard that taking it on the bow is more useful since you can repair 50% of that damage compared to 10% on TDS, but heard somewhere else that taking hits on TDS can be useful in some cases. So I’m wondering how to desired where should I take torps hits on, if I absolutely have to.

Current stragergy  is to take all torp hit on bow, but when all repairs have run out take hits on TDS, since my logic is that I no longer have any recoverable hp left, may as well make whatever left last as long as possible.

This is just a part of the whole story. You also have to consider:

• Torpedo Belt damage reduction - why take full damage to heal 50% of it, when you can just take greatly reduced damage in the first place?
  • Torpedo Belt flooding chance reduction - when Damage Control Party is on cooldown taking a torpedo on TDS is often a better choice.
  • Damage saturation - if you have to take multiple torps it would be best for them to hit the same compartment.

Generally:

• Battleships prefer to take torps on their belt
  • Cruisers prefer to take them on bow or stern
  • Destroyers prefer not to take them at all
  • Cool 1

[MORSE]
Players
242 posts
595 battles

I suppose it also depends on TDS values, for example nagato has 25%, which is effectively next to none, Yamato has 56%, highest in game.

[HAIFU]
Beta Tester
318 posts
6,537 battles

Torpedo damage is split between alpha and splash damage. The damage value listed ingame is 1/3rd of the Alpha damage + the Splash damage.

Hits to the Bow and Stern deal 16.5% of the torpedoes alpha damage to that section and can cause a further 16.5% of their splash damage to each surrounding section within the splash radius.

Hits to the Midsection count as citadel hits dealing the full alpha damage of the torpedo reduced only by the TPS.

Hits to the Midsection of a DD deal 33% of the torpedos damage.

Hits to the Bow and Stern can be repaired at your ships normal penetration rate (60% for RN BBs, 50% for all other ships).

Hits to the Midsection can only be repaired at your ships citadel repair rate (50% for RN Cruisers, 33% for all other cruisers except Graf Spee, 10% for all other ships).

Flooding damage itself can be repaired 100%.

The Bow and Stern will be guaranteed to flood if they are hit by shipborne torpedoes, there is no damage reduction from the TPS, however, the bow and stern can be saturated with damage to the point they no longer take any damage. It's worth noting also that due to their high damage nature, torpedo hits to the bow/stern of some ships may be capable of causing detonations as well.

The Midsection has a chance to flood dependent on the torpedo chance to cause a flood and the protection of the TPS (the flood chance protection is not listed ingame).

Dehtre has already well summarised the information, however, there are so few ships in the game with TPS+Flood Coefficient of 50%+ combined that it's rare you will take less damage from a midsection hit than from a bow/stern hit, however you are better protected from flooding at the midsection so depending on how capable you are at dealing with floods at the time may influence your decision, especially if a flood immediately after using DCP may cause you to take 60% hp of damage and ultimately sink you you'll want to avoid a flood at all costs. You will, however, be able to repair significantly less of the damage you took to the midsection (unless you're in a RN CL), if you're in a ship that can repair at all.

• Cool 3

Players
845 posts
7,653 battles

You might also want to take it on the belt when damage con is on cooldown, since a bow hit is a guaranteed flood, which you could then not repair for the duration.

Sign in to follow this