Please_stop_rng_im_sore

Khabarovsk first tier 10 problems

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
5 posts
419 battles

I've just recently got my first tier 10 the I have. Having seen videos of other ships like the Japanese gunboats and the up coming daring, I frankly feel quite cheated, i am aware that the daring is a work in progress as of the time I write this but in it's current state I simply see no reason to ever play the khaba. It has simply ruined my sense of getting a tier 10. What can the khaba do that others (upcoming and current) can't Do? Maybe this is just me being an idiot/new to high tiers (and don't get me wrong I enjoy my tier 10 and have some good games in it) but can someone please explain to me in simple terms what the khaba really Is? What does it have over competition? Should I think about retiring it and focus on better dd's? Will the devs look into the current state of it? Thanks to anyone who can shed information here as I know it seems like a vague question.

[F_M_B]
[F_M_B]
Beta Tester
733 posts
4,257 battles

Ok, first: Khabarovsk is NO DD. It is an ultra light cruiser without a citadell.

Strong points:

1. Speed
  2. Heal
  3. No citadell
  4. Good balistic

What you can do: Drive at max speed and spam HE at max range and drive the enemies crazy (last point is most important).

What you should not do: DD stuff

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
13,500 posts
10,344 battles

It is a freakishly fast light Cruiser without a Citadel.

You take out enemies from a distance were Daring and Haragumo cannot touch you.

Learn how spotter&hunter teams work.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,208 posts
5,859 battles

I was so about to bash you for free xp-ing to tier 10 and playing premium ships almost exclusively, but you asked politely so I can't.

Khaba is very fast and good at attacking ships at long range like all other soviet ships. Use that to your advantage and punish enemy BBs with it. Advanced firing training can also help you a lot. Its concealment is crap however, so don't blindly rush into caps.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
5 posts
419 battles

I appreciate that my method was stupid but also note my creation date, I am a returning player and played a fair bit in the beta, I'm not saying this warrants it but I actually found that I had alot of dubloons and flags left over from a while ago. I know the way I obtained tier 10 is stupid but please note that I came back to literally have it dangled in front of my face. But thank you for the response :)

I am also aware that any bashing I receive is fully and 100% justified

Edit: I am an avid world of tanks player so I also appreciate exactly why this would anger you

Edited by Please_stop_rng_im_sore

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,208 posts
5,859 battles
54 minutes ago, Please_stop_rng_im_sore said:

I appreciate that my method was stupid but also note my creation date, I am a returning player and played a fair bit in the beta, I'm not saying this warrants it but I actually found that I had alot of dubloons and flags left over from a while ago. I know the way I obtained tier 10 is stupid but please note that I came back to literally have it dangled in front of my face. But thank you for the response :)

I am also aware that any bashing I receive is fully and 100% justified

Edit: I am an avid world of tanks player so I also appreciate exactly why this would anger you

It's alright....As long as you're polite and don't whine, you should (at least for the most part) get polite and helpfull answers. Those that aren't, usually get eaten by the forum piranhas very quickly.

I myself got the khaba only a few days ago and honestly....I find it to be a bit of a downgrade/sidegrade compared to the tashkent. It has worse concealment, almost 2km less gun range and 2km shorter torpedoes.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5 posts
419 battles
31 minutes ago, domen3 said:

It's alright....As long as you're polite and don't whine, you should (at least for the most part) get polite and helpfull answers. Those that aren't, usually get eaten by the forum piranhas very quickly.

I myself got the khaba only a few days ago and honestly....I find it to be a bit of a downgrade/sidegrade compared to the tashkent. It has worse concealment, almost 2km less gun range and 2km shorter torpedoes.

I know what you mean (I played very few games in the Tashkent as you can see) but even still it didn't make much sense, the guns are great and it's nice having the extra turret but it does seem to suffer a bit which is the reason I made this post, I didn't know if it was me or not.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,513 posts
4,967 battles

I don't have Khaba (I went with Grozo instead), but playing against them suggests that they're lethal, provided you don't act like a conventional DD: the Correct approach seems to involve zooming around at longer ranges (you can be spotted from orbit), with your fire button more or less superglued down.

The crucial thing seems to be to use other people as your eyes; if I'm trying to deal with a Khaba in a more 'usual' DD, I'll be relying on stealth to get close enough to it to get spots, so allowing my support (pffft, snigger - well, you never know) to get a few salvos off, and maybe get lucky with torps myself.

Basically, it's the same basic methodology as one might use against a (very) fast light cruiser i.e. stay hidden, because if you don't, the Khaba's dakka will turn you into smoking boots in a matter of moments. Khaba has better armour than other DDs; this is a good thing when fighting most other DDs, but you have to watch for bigger AP rounds, as your armour is sufficient for them to get full pen AP damage...

Khaba is a very serious threat to play against, so I don't believe it needs much (if any) buffing; if you want a more conventional DD experience, one of the other lines might be superior.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5 posts
419 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

I don't have Khaba (I went with Grozo instead), but playing against them suggests that they're lethal, provided you don't act like a conventional DD: the Correct approach seems to involve zooming around at longer ranges (you can be spotted from orbit), with your fire button more or less superglued down.

The crucial thing seems to be to use other people as your eyes; if I'm trying to deal with a Khaba in a more 'usual' DD, I'll be relying on stealth to get close enough to it to get spots, so allowing my support (pffft, snigger - well, you never know) to get a few salvos off, and maybe get lucky with torps myself.

Basically, it's the same basic methodology as one might use against a (very) fast light cruiser i.e. stay hidden, because if you don't, the Khaba's dakka will turn you into smoking boots in a matter of moments. Khaba has better armour than other DDs; this is a good thing when fighting most other DDs, but you have to watch for bigger AP rounds, as your armour is sufficient for them to get full pen AP damage...

Khaba is a very serious threat to play against, so I don't believe it needs much (if any) buffing; if you want a more conventional DD experience, one of the other lines might be superior.

Thanks for the extensive response, along with the other responses I've definately found what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to write this, has helped me understand a bit more about the khaba. My biggest problem was not really knowing what it's like to fight against I think so I didn't know what to expect as I had heard alot of things about it but found myself underwhelmed when watching videos of alternative but I clearly didn't take into account important factors such as armour.

Many thanks for everyone's responses :)

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,513 posts
4,967 battles

BTW @Please_stop_rng_im_sore - I see you have a LoYang; she's a pretty good 'conventional' DD - given MM at the moment, if you take her out in randoms a few times, you've got a good chance of someone playing a Khaba against you, if you want to see what they're like to play against for real.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5 posts
419 battles
15 hours ago, Verblonde said:

BTW @Please_stop_rng_im_sore - I see you have a LoYang; she's a pretty good 'conventional' DD - given MM at the moment, if you take her out in randoms a few times, you've got a good chance of someone playing a Khaba against you, if you want to see what they're like to play against for real.

Thanks again for the help, I do like the loyang, I do prefer gunboats however hence the khaba, I sorta semi knew what I was getting into. Managed to get my best game yet in the khaba last night however doing 203k damage so I feel like I learnt all I need :D

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,762 posts
6,397 battles

Use Khaba to flank. Try to position it in a way that makes you both very annoying and an unattractive target. The trick is to be at the opposite side of your target compared to most of your team. Which means they'll have to actually turns their guns and sometimes the whole ship to focus on you. That means that :

- Either they ignore you and you farm damage.

- Or they try to kill you and :

A) Miss, or deal puny damage, which you can heal, and that usually discourage them to try harder after at most 3 salvoes

B) Expose their broadside to your team

On the other hand, beware because there ARE ships that can deal high damage to you very quickly. Mostly battleship AP, but also Hindenburg, Zao, Minotaur, Stalingrad, Moskva... You won't fear Worcester and DM much considering their balistic, but they can hit you very hard too if you get too close or get caught off guard.

The whole trick with the Khaba is to make yourself a difficult target, or even better a target you just don't waste time on, while keeping your gun constantly firing.

You will deal more damage with constant fire than pure raw damage, but your DPM is high and you put your opponents under constant pressure as well.

I have to add that both Harugumo and Daring play very differently. Harugumo relies on smoke, HE penetration (goes over 32mm) and torpedoes to deal damage instead of fire chance and flanking, and have trouble playing like Khaba due to being huge, not as well armored and clearly not as fast. Harugumo is supposed to play with the main group of his team, while Khaba is the flanking lone wolve.

And Daring is even slower, and more suited to contest caps than doing pure raw damage.

• Cool 2