You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OakTankTree

Allow us to modify torpedoes Wargaming.

30 comments in this topic

Players
51 posts
164 battles

So you read the title good job for you. Allow me to discuss an idea of mine.
(Note: I'm adding little historical accuracy into this post due to the fact this is WOWS... not Atlantic Fleet)

I want to option for us players to modify the range and speed. I also thought of giving us the option to give torpedoes a "detonation" range.
In my examples I shall be using one of the most common fishes in the game, the G7a T1.

The stats of the G7 goes like this:

Range: 6km
Speed: 64 knots

So if the "modify" option was used in this situation players could choose the speed of the torpedoes it would go something like this:

image.png.6d5304c494f7b710f0d13e4f13f8a277.png

So if little jimmy here wanted his fishes to reach the range of 8km that means he would have to sacrifice something... which is the speed!
Using some quick maths this is what the formula would be: 

TR (Torpedo range)  divided by TS (Torpedo speed)
So 6 divided by 64 = 0.09375 
Then it's: 

(Answer to TR divided by TS) times (the range of what you want your torpedo to go)
So 0.09375 x 8 = 0.75
Finally we do
(Answer of the last formula) times (the range of what you want your torpedo to go again)
8 x 0.75 = 6

So this means 6 knots of speed will have to subtracted from the original torpedo.
And shimmity bangy dang your torpedo stats will now be:

8km range
58 knots of speed

Due to logic purposes this will only work if you want to add range to your torpedo... speed will be overpowered.
(Sorry you're not getting 100 knots 2km range torps pal)

Another topic I wanted to explore about is torpedo detonation. In real life some torpedoes will explode after they had reached a certain distance.
Now this is going to get complicated. Get your tin-foil hats ready for this one. 

Now torpedoes exploding after a certain distance just seems like an effect for you. But no no no... I want them to actually do damage!

Now this heavily relies on torpedo DAMAGE. The more damage it does the better of the explosion.

I'm going to use the G7a T1's again. If little jimmy wanted his fishes to explode at a range... let's sayyy... 5.5km. And I'll use the USS Fletcher as a target.

image.png.b13662041c3f3e2d83d5de4d799d7ee3.png

image.png.d8c5624e4d6b664ecfaf3dcc4a301c97.png

And yes I know I'm not perfect at art.

So how would we calculate the damage the Fletcher has taken? It all matters the maximum damage the torpedo can do. Quick maths again here we go:

(Torpedo damage) divided by (Distance of target in meters)

13,700 divided by 1,000 = 13.7

(Answer from last formula) times 10

13.7 x 10 = 137

(Answer from multiplying the last answer by 10) times (The answer of the first formula)

137 x 13.7 = 1877 (rounded)

And 1877 is the damage the Fletcher would take. But that seems a bit strong. So let's divide that by 3 for balance reasons which gives us the final answer offfff....

627!

Adding this feature into the game would make Japanese torpedoes extremely strong due to the strength of oxygen torps. Just wanted to say that.

Anyways give me your opinions down below... or anything I need to change. 

- Oak 

• Bad 2

[-AP-]
Players
418 posts
2,183 battles

Way too many variables, it would be impossible to make risk assessments and predict when you are likely to get torped, if you cant know which ships have what range etc on their torpedoes, this would actually be a change that makes ship knowledge less usefull.

The whole proxy detonation concept is even worse.

• Cool 1

Quality Poster
2,951 posts
7,933 battles

Soooo a 1km blast radius?

Now, let's assume we take the blast and not the fire radius. This would be equivalent to a 45kt atomic bomb .... I'm not sure if the G7A T1 torps are that powerfull.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a blast radius and changeable torp ranges, but it's nearly impossible to translate into the game. Mostly because the casual players would not be able to account for different torp ranges. 

Blast damage maybe (but only with game relevant ranges, e.g. 50m or less).

• Cool 1

Players
51 posts
164 battles
Just now, thiextar said:

Way too many variables, it would be impossible to make risk assessments and predict when you are likely to get torped, if you cant know which ships have what range etc on their torpedoes, this would actually be a change that makes ship knowledge less usefull.

Isn't that the point though? Everyone knows the stats of each ship by heart. 

Torpedoes in real life had the element of surprise. You don't get time to react if a fish is like a couple hundred meters away from you.

[-AP-]
Players
418 posts
2,183 battles
2 minutes ago, OakTankTree said:

Isn't that the point though? Everyone knows the stats of each ship by heart. 

Torpedoes in real life had the element of surprise. You don't get time to react if a fish is like a couple hundred meters away from you.

This isnt real life, this is a competative arcade game, and that only works as long as you can predict future events based on game knowledge and analysing the map. Your suggested change will diminish the effect of such skills. 

• Cool 1

Players
51 posts
164 battles
2 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Soooo a 1km blast radius?

Now, let's assume we take the blast and not the fire radius. This would be equivalent to a 45kt atomic bomb .... I'm not sure if the G7A T1 torps are that powerfull.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a blast radius and changeable torp ranges, but it's nearly impossible to translate into the game. Mostly because the casual players would not be able to account for different torp ranges. 

Blast damage maybe (but only with game relevant ranges, e.g. 50m or less).

I see. I just wanted to add a "realistic" aspect to the game by you know... adding these things. But yeah I suppose closer ranges would be better rather than a torpedo exploding 10km doing 10 damage to a ship or something. 

[JRM]
Players
676 posts
12,322 battles

Or they just add choice of slow long range torps (ie like italian or mid tier usn) and fast short range ones (ie german or russian) and be done with it, but then some of the "national flavor" woulf be lost ofc

Players
51 posts
164 battles
1 minute ago, thiextar said:

This isnt real life, this is a competative arcade game, and that only works as long as you can predict future events based on game knowledge and analysing the map. Your suggested change will diminish the effect of such skills. 

I suppose so then. Not everything is HAKERMAN KNOWLEDGE into this game too though. You act as if Wows is arcadey to the point where CSGO looks like an extreme simulator. 

Players
51 posts
164 battles
1 minute ago, Yedwy said:

Or they just add choice of slow long range torps (ie like italian or mid tier usn) and fast short range ones (ie german or russian) and be done with it, but then some of the "national flavor" woulf be lost ofc

What do you mean by that? Like using torpedoes from different nations on said ship?

[-AP-]
Players
418 posts
2,183 battles
1 minute ago, OakTankTree said:

I suppose so then. Not everything is HAKERMAN KNOWLEDGE into this game too though. You act as if Wows is arcadey to the point where CSGO looks like an extreme simulator. 

Wows is an arcade game, history is more like a theme than anything else. 

[-AP-]
Players
418 posts
2,183 battles
Just now, OakTankTree said:

What do you mean by that? Like using torpedoes from different nations on said ship?

Well, certain ships(mahan and sims comes to mind) Do get to choose between short and long range torps, but allowing all ships to do so, would kill off national flavour, it gives the devs one less thing to play around with to make ships unique

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,550 posts
5,519 battles

Using your formula;

I want my asashio torps (20km, 67kn) to do 40km. Because reasons.

20/67 = 0.2985

0.2985x 40 = 11.94

11.94 x 40 = 477.61

67- 477.61 = -410.61

New asashio stats

40km range

-410.61 speed

They now go backwards in time and hit someone from 3 weeks ago

• Funny 4

Players
51 posts
164 battles
Just now, Xevious_Red said:

Using your formula;

I want my asashio torps (20km, 67kn) to do 40km. Because reasons.

20/67 = 0.2985

0.2985x 40 = 11.94

11.94 x 40 = 477.61

67- 477.61 = -410.61

New asashio stats

40km range

-410.61 speed

They now go backwards in time and hit someone from 3 weeks ago

As soon as they hit the water the torpedoes slam into your ship at mach 3.

Players
51 posts
164 battles
2 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Well, certain ships(mahan and sims comes to mind) Do get to choose between short and long range torps, but allowing all ships to do so, would kill off national flavour, it gives the devs one less thing to play around with to make ships unique

Ohhhh okay I get it now.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,803 battles

Hmm, busy currently, ..but.. if I take the 20km Shima torps, then drop the range down to 10km.. . they will travel at roughly 94 knots according to my calc's using your method.... ouch.

(20/62 = 0.3226, 0.3226x10=3.226, 3,226x10=32.26, 32.26+62 = 94.26)

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,550 posts
5,519 battles
2 minutes ago, OakTankTree said:

As soon as they hit the water the torpedoes slam into your ship at mach 3.

Lucky then the asashio can't be hit by it's own torps due to not being a BB/CV

Quality Poster
2,951 posts
7,933 battles

Don't forget, the average player in the current state doesn't even know (or care in some cases) about his ships torp range and throws 6km torps at targets 12km away.

• Funny 1
  • Angry 1

Players
51 posts
164 battles
1 minute ago, philjd said:

Hmm, busy currently, ..but.. if I take the 20km Shima torps, then drop the range down to 10km.. . they will travel at roughly 94 knots according to my calc's using your method.... ouch.

(20/62 = 0.3226, 0.3226x10=3.226, 3,226x10=32.26, 32.26+62 = 94.26)

image.png.59fbd535d5e22948d0aa9caa5f1e29ce.png

[CAIN]
[CAIN]
Players
2,706 posts
10,505 battles
23 minutes ago, OakTankTree said:

So you read the title good job for you. Allow me to discuss an idea of mine.
(Note: I'm adding little historical accuracy into this post due to the fact this is WOWS... not Atlantic Fleet)

I want to option for us players to modify the range and speed. I also thought of giving us the option to give torpedoes a "detonation" range.
In my examples I shall be using one of the most common fishes in the game, the G7a T1.

The stats of the G7 goes like this:

Range: 6km
Speed: 64 knots

So if the "modify" option was used in this situation players could choose the speed of the torpedoes it would go something like this:

image.png.6d5304c494f7b710f0d13e4f13f8a277.png

So if little jimmy here wanted his fishes to reach the range of 8km that means he would have to sacrifice something... which is the speed!
Using some quick maths this is what the formula would be: 

TR (Torpedo range)  divided by TS (Torpedo speed)
So 6 divided by 64 = 0.09375 
Then it's: 

(Answer to TR divided by TS) times (the range of what you want your torpedo to go)
So 0.09375 x 8 = 0.75
Finally we do
(Answer of the last formula) times (the range of what you want your torpedo to go again)
8 x 0.75 = 6

So this means 6 knots of speed will have to subtracted from the original torpedo.
And shimmity bangy dang your torpedo stats will now be:

8km range
58 knots of speed

Due to logic purposes this will only work if you want to add range to your torpedo... speed will be overpowered.
(Sorry you're not getting 100 knots 2km range torps pal)

Another topic I wanted to explore about is torpedo detonation. In real life some torpedoes will explode after they had reached a certain distance.
Now this is going to get complicated. Get your tin-foil hats ready for this one. 

Now torpedoes exploding after a certain distance just seems like an effect for you. But no no no... I want them to actually do damage!

Now this heavily relies on torpedo DAMAGE. The more damage it does the better of the explosion.

I'm going to use the G7a T1's again. If little jimmy wanted his fishes to explode at a range... let's sayyy... 5.5km. And I'll use the USS Fletcher as a target.

image.png.b13662041c3f3e2d83d5de4d799d7ee3.png

image.png.d8c5624e4d6b664ecfaf3dcc4a301c97.png

And yes I know I'm not perfect at art.

So how would we calculate the damage the Fletcher has taken? It all matters the maximum damage the torpedo can do. Quick maths again here we go:

(Torpedo damage) divided by (Distance of target in meters)

13,700 divided by 1,000 = 13.7

(Answer from last formula) times 10

13.7 x 10 = 137

(Answer from multiplying the last answer by 10) times (The answer of the first formula)

137 x 13.7 = 1877 (rounded)

And 1877 is the damage the Fletcher would take. But that seems a bit strong. So let's divide that by 3 for balance reasons which gives us the final answer offfff....

627!

Adding this feature into the game would make Japanese torpedoes extremely strong due to the strength of oxygen torps. Just wanted to say that.

Anyways give me your opinions down below... or anything I need to change. 

- Oak 

The average WoWS player has the attention span of a goldfish and the kognitive abilities of a cockroach (i‘m spotted must run now) and you expect them to do something more complex than point and click? Get outta here.

Players
51 posts
164 battles
2 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

The average WoWS player has the attention span of a goldfish and the kognitive abilities of a cockroach (i‘m spotted must run now) and you expect them to do something more complex than point and click? Get outta here.

image.png.407aa3822371c58040a116c221ec7a5a.png

[ONIX]
Players
1,075 posts
8,555 battles
14 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Lucky then the asashio can't be hit by it's own torps due to not being a BB/CV

The fisure into the space continuum created by the negative speed of said torps though would transport the Assashio into a parallel map full of islands and populated only by Worcesters and radar Minos.

• Funny 2

[SM0KE]
Players
1,562 posts
5,045 battles
27 minutes ago, OakTankTree said:

Everyone knows the stats of each ship by heart.

I think you may be being a bit optimistic here, especially given the number of players I hit beyond 10 km with torpedo strikes. Many forum folk probably have the stats memorised (I don't though), but the wider player base probably don't as much.

As to the original suggestion, it's a good thought, but I fear (besides being too complicated for most to understand and/or make use of - look at current CV play) it would be rather hard to balance: even if you go with just a couple of options, rather than a range of them, you potentially increase the power of a ship dramatically - imagine (say) a Lo Yang that could switch at will between its long-range and YOLO torp options; it would be a monster...