Sign in to follow this  
DaWyrm

Computer hard-freezes shortly after logon

9 comments in this topic

Question

Players
241 posts
2,194 battles

Recently, just a few days ago, I started experiencing fatal crashes when starting the game.

Shortly after logon, sometimes before the harbour is loaded and sometimes a few seconds after, the screen goes blank, sound locks up and computer cease respond, requiring a hard-reset or power-down.

It doesn't happen every time, but about 2/3. Once the game loads, it remain stable and I can play for hours. I can even alt-tab and do other stuff.

I first suspected my old graphics-card was begining to give up, but I have no issues in other games I play, such as Stellaris, Diablo III, Path of Exile and Never Winter.

I also downloaded Heaven Benchmark and let it run on extreme for a while in order to see if that could trigger some error, but it was also fully stable.

I tried a repair and also removed the preferences.xml-file yesterday, but that didn't help.

Anyone got any ideas?

8 answers to this question

Players
22 posts
1,716 battles

Antone know what program to use when opening the crash logs? I've checked my crash log folder and its all there but I cant view the files. 

Players
4 posts
442 battles
59 minutes ago, Schlieffenplan said:

Antone know what program to use when opening the crash logs? I've checked my crash log folder and its all there but I cant view the files. 

Hi Schlieffenplan the Crash File you can open with notepad however the DMP File wont be of any use to you unles you are a programmer.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,122 posts
2,181 battles

The only time I've had what you describe happen is when my GPU overheats. If I'd played something before WoWS and then switched over the port UI is hard on your GPU, so my already hot card said no more please.

I bought a new case and added a couple of extra fans, and tided up the internal airflow with some careful wiring, and everything has been fine since.

Players
241 posts
2,194 battles

Nope, my card is fine. I cleaned it up and its work-temp dropped 20 degrees, but it kept doing the same.

Now, I HAVE cleaned out the WOW updates folder, and since doing that, the problem hasn't resurfaced. Too early to tell if it is solved, but it looks promising.

Players
22 posts
1,716 battles

I've had crashes also, but during gameplay. I'm forced to Ctrl+alt+del and chose log off user (task managed does not work) Then I log back into Windows  and launch the game again 

Players
4 posts
442 battles

Hello well its a known fact that port UI is hard on the GPU however WG has probably messed something up during this weak but they will never admit it (until this weak i was running the game fully maxed and my GPU load in port was 70% but since this weak its 100%, now my GPU wont overheat since i use a custom curve for my fans but just to be sure i lowered the grafics to very high and now its 85% in port and 50 to 60% in batlle).

WG has had this problems with overloading GPU's every once in a while during the years and supposedly they fixed it (not) but it keeps happening again and again.

Now my advice to you is to lower you grafic settings just to be sure until a fix comes up but also check your grafic card and drivers it is possible that the problem is on your side even tho i doubt it since you are not the only one with those issues.

Also dont get my wrong i know that in programing mistakes happen but if a mistake causes financial or material damage to the customer than its a big issue and requires investigation by the devs.

You could also try to contact customer support but from what my friends told me they are almost useless but that is not my expirience but my friends i never had the need to contact them.

Well good luck with resolving your problem even tho im sure its on the WG end.

Players
4 posts
442 battles

I just tryed cleaning the update folder it has no effect on the GPU load even tho i didnt think it will but i checked just in case.

Sign in to follow this