Sign in to follow this  
justin129

Alabama feels horrible ..

14 comments in this topic

[TAW1]
Beta Tester
6 posts
1,050 battles

So I tried to play Alabama again but I do not understand how someone can stand this ship. I do not hit anything, I was 6km away from a slightly angled North Carolina and all my shots went around the ship. I can not hit anything sadly and I wanna know why or whats the secret with this ship. Before any of you Guys check my Stats, I know they are horrific. I bought this ship when I had like 400 Battles (Coming from WoT I knew I will need a t8 prem plus I like to collect ships in this game :) ) But even tho I watched guides and read forum posts I simply cant get along with it. Nowadays I play way better than before because I actually care about my stats but somehow this one ship will not work. Need help. Urgent :(

• Angry 1

Players
548 posts

Alabama is a hard ship to get right heavy shells traveling at lower speed compared to her European contemporaries, make aiming alot harder similar to the higher tier IJN BBs Musashi for e.g.

Given that then if you wanna hit things with the Alabama you need to lead your shots a bit more than you would say with a french or german bb because the shells are slower and take higher angles. What dont help on top of that is its vulnerability to citadel when her broadside is exposed.

I would advise you to leave the Alabama in your port til you get more experience in the USN BB line and the feel for those Heavy USN Shells. I was stupid and did like you buying tier 8 premiums coz I wanted the best ships now and infact the Alabama was the first BB I fought with to the detriment of my WR. I repeated this process with other tier 8 premiums and now my WR is far from recoverable ~ stuck at 45% now and I'm already 2,000 games in.

If you really wanna get gud in the Alabama, FreeXP your way up the USN line to Tier 6 Colorado and then grind the USN BB line to Tier 8 North Carolina or beyond. Once you get to the NC you should have enough experience to really make the Alabama work for you.

Some will slate me for telling you to FreeXP your way up the USN BB line to Tier 6, but to be honest the USN Tier 1 to 5 BBs are horrible, slow and boring to play.

If you want accuracy quick, grind the German or French BB Lines, their Tier 8 to 10s are very satisfying to play.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,807 posts
6,439 battles
37 minutes ago, HMS_Argosax said:

If you want accuracy quick, grind the German or French BB Lines, their Tier 8 to 10s are very satisfying to play.

Accuracy and German/French BB in the same line ? :cap_wander_2:

Okay, I agree for République, but the other 5 ? :cap_wander_2:

Nah, if you want accuracy, grind Amagi, Izumo, Yamato. Or NC, Iowa, Montana for that matter.

USN BB shells are slow, but accurate. Alabama is a heavy hitter, a very dangerous ship. Spec it for full concealment, so that you can fire you salvoes closer and from stealth, it will mitigates the slowness a lot as you will leave less room for reactions to your opponent.

Its aiming does take a lot of "getting used to", but the Alabama is a very reliable ship, that will perform better the better you are. It is tanky, reasonably fast, reasonably agile, got a strong AA and very powerful gunnery.

[POI--]
Players
3,194 posts
4,348 battles
2 hours ago, HMS_Argosax said:

but to be honest the USN Tier 1 to 5 BBs are horrible, slow and boring to play.

Dunno, but the US T1 and T2 BBs were pretty quick and pleasent grinds. T3 took a bit, but SC was okish and got buffed, T4 wyoming is a hilarious shotgun. T5 is kinda meh.

• Funny 1

[DREAD]
Players
4,571 posts
4,788 battles
3 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Dunno, but the US T1 and T2 BBs were pretty quick and pleasent grinds. T3 took a bit, but SC was okish and got buffed, T4 wyoming is a hilarious shotgun. T5 is kinda meh.

The T1 BB was terribly difficult! Almost stopped the grind 

[DREAD]
Players
4,571 posts
4,788 battles
2 hours ago, justin129 said:

So I tried to play Alabama again but I do not understand how someone can stand this ship. I do not hit anything, I was 6km away from a slightly angled North Carolina and all my shots went around the ship. I can not hit anything sadly and I wanna know why or whats the secret with this ship. Before any of you Guys check my Stats, I know they are horrific. I bought this ship when I had like 400 Battles (Coming from WoT I knew I will need a t8 prem plus I like to collect ships in this game :) ) But even tho I watched guides and read forum posts I simply cant get along with it. Nowadays I play way better than before because I actually care about my stats but somehow this one ship will not work. Need help. Urgent :(

Alabama is a nice ship. Her strength are her guns. She is more or less a typical US BB - her shells pack a hell of a punch - do you struggle with dealing damage or with being uptiered ?

[TAW1]
Beta Tester
6 posts
1,050 battles
59 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Alabama is a nice ship. Her strength are her guns. She is more or less a typical US BB - her shells pack a hell of a punch - do you struggle with dealing damage or with being uptiered ?

I struggle with hitting anything .. like anything and not because of the floaty shells (kinda learned it with the Fiji) rather with the actual dispersion. As I mentioned above I sit 6km from a standing North Carolina and I didnt hit even hit the ship. I personally do not think that the problem for me are the slow shells. Also worth to mention I also had good rounds (mostly in Training Rooms with Clanmates) but idk I have no fun at all playing this ship in Random Battles which makes me kinda sad.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,807 posts
6,439 battles

It certainly isn't the most accurate ship, but oh boy if you find the Alabama inaccurate (outside the occasional derpy salvo) you're gonna have a field day with the other nation BB besides IJN...

NC is more accurate still so maybe practice with it first ? It got 2.0 sigma instead of 1.8 after all.

Amagi is also a nice ship and Nagato is a good introduction to higher tier BB.

[DREAD]
Players
4,571 posts
4,788 battles
1 hour ago, justin129 said:

I struggle with hitting anything .. like anything and not because of the floaty shells (kinda learned it with the Fiji) rather with the actual dispersion. As I mentioned above I sit 6km from a standing North Carolina and I didnt hit even hit the ship. I personally do not think that the problem for me are the slow shells. Also worth to mention I also had good rounds (mostly in Training Rooms with Clanmates) but idk I have no fun at all playing this ship in Random Battles which makes me kinda sad.

As Shingetsu said - all BBs are pretty inaccurate. Which means you can miss a lot of shells even at 6km. I’m afraid there is no silver bullet to solve your problem. You need to get used to the awkward spraying and over time the terrible trolling shots and the fabulous 4x Citas will even up. So don’t be discouraged. Nevertheless practicing that is probably best done on low tiers (T4-7)

Players
103 posts
3,829 battles

Also seconding Shingetsu there, NC is quite accurate for a BB (once you get a feel for the lowish shell velocity).

In comparison, the French equivalent (Richelieu) and German (Bismarck) are significantly worse accuracy-wise (though they have other strengths to compensate, most importantly speed/acceleration and shell velocity)

Players
1,369 posts
6,125 battles
On 26/09/2018 at 3:12 PM, justin129 said:

It's a very good ship.  Lets get that out the way first.

It hits like a truck (when it does hit), Fantastic cruiser concealment, Great Torp belt, half AA spec can cause CV's alot of troubles and full AA spec is just WOW, It turns like a light cruiser, is small and compact for a BB and It's great for tanking damage. 

That is alot of positives  :cap_like:  The only true negative for the whole ship is the accuracy of the guns which is so-so.

I'm sure you knew all this anyway....But i wanted to highlight that it's not the ship that is bad, not saying you are bad too, just that the ship isn't.

But the above positives helps you negate the accuracy problem for the majority of the time.  You can get stuck in, fire from invis and disappear again quite easy.  9 US Heavy BB shells from this thing wreaks face. Or you can Bow-on tank whilst giving fire support.  Use that HP as i found it can take a pounding from the majority of tier 8/9 BB AP. 

It's a great Mid range ship than can get stuck in when required.  NEVER play this thing at max range. 

RNG is what it is.  You will miss more than most in the Alabama but when they do hit, they really hit.  The Massachusetts is even WORSE regarding accuracy and that a great ship too when played by it's strengths. 

Basically get stuck in and don't be afraid in it.   Shes tough and agile which are hard to find in BB's.  

I Spec mine for AA nightmare and it melts even tier 10 planes. Midway torp planes no problem :Smile_teethhappy:

Alas, since i got the Massachusetts I haven't used the Alabama since. It's basically an Alabama plus IMHO.  If you Div with a CV then the Alabama would be my first choice but all other Div combos then the Massachusetts is better regarding a BB. 

Sometimes you just cant make a ship work however hard you try and RNG just goes against you....Penscola and NO was my dead ducks.  So i believe you when you say your having bad RNG luck as a lot of people like them (not many tho). 23 games is still early so give it time.  Remember, it's your only US battleship and those shells take some getting used to.  Its not like going from IJN, German to French ones shell velocity wise,  it's rainbow arc time and completely different :Smile_teethhappy:.

Hope it helps.

Players
447 posts
19,183 battles
On 26-9-2018 at 3:12 PM, justin129 said:

Before any of you Guys check my Stats

lollollol....no fcaus not, me i am not gonna check yr stats (never check any stats of other players: i just watch how players perform actually in the battle i am playing )

About Alabama, my personnal opinion, hittings are real ok (even range 19-21 km!). most of times I zoom out. Secondly, we play many ships, this ship and after that another, we switch a lot. i myself noticed when i play my South Dakota-class Massachusetss (=same shooting as Alabama..& Alabama is even slightly better at doing hits, slightly) 1st battle...i hit somewhat less..2nd battle following i hit more and 3rd battle i hit normal level (=real ok). Seems, i kind of have ta get used to Alabama or Massa when playing my first battle...having to get used to it again (the right feel for the ship handlings), so first 2 battles get me back my "shooting-feeling" for the ship and 3rd battle all is back & hittings are ok. Last, i personally switch kind of way I do shootings: sometimes the double-clicking (= all guns) & sometimes i choose the single clicking (= shooting 1x gun-turret to wait and see how shells drop ---> adjust & shoot the 2 other turrets.

try it out & i trust ya will benefit & enjoy: afterall the South Dakota class are real strong ships: 710 metres turning + enormeous heavey AP-shells (406 mm shells...massive!). Great ships, for sure. I myself mostly shoot AP-shells & sometimes some HE-shells...but mostly AP-shells.

So, don't worry about yr stats lol...better do some experimenting "to get the right feeling for good performance shootings.

fyi: i am just a player, same as you are, played very, very many battles mostly as solo random player. so, start enjoying yr great Alabama (and or Massachusetts)! You will, trust me!

( i myself prefer ta use Crosshair Static Type 8 and when doing range shootings I zoom out as far as possible; arcs of South Dakota-class = real OK, meaning because of those arcs you "lob yr shells in to citadels"...I experienced myself that "flat-arcs" give somewhat more bouncings...so..arcs of Bama /Massa are real ok as is shell velocity, just get used to them)

• Bad 1

[HPF]
Players
92 posts
12,247 battles

Today battle in T10.  I have 705 battle with Alabama  with 70 k avg dmg and 55 % WR, but im not good player. Alabama very good ship

.    shot-18_10.04_17_38.08-0254.thumb.jpg.f70171ec7f05bd834e2eaf328b0a1657.jpg

[HPF]
Players
92 posts
12,247 battles

I shooted double citadel today to Alabama  with Missouri, but  Alabama  was angled against me. Or i  not see good? I aimed to waterline in bow section.

shot-18_10.04_19_09.02-0145.thumb.jpg.bb7dfbc9f4b6c69c6fe6b97b098435c2.jpg

Sign in to follow this