Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Caljostro

Has anyone else noticed lots of dd "players" lately that just sail along the map borders ?

145 comments in this topic

[UN]
Weekend Tester
867 posts
20,480 battles

Just curious. So in this last week, I saw lots of dds that just sail along the edges of the map. Am I the only one ?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NWP]
Players
3,956 posts
6,034 battles

Has anyone else noticed lots of dd "players" lately that just sail along the map borders ?

FIFY

I feel like 90% of the playerrs are just running to the map borders these days... i think they play that way in order to "play" longer, aka avoid conflict for the majority of the match. Why however? i cant tell. Lately when we play division we just go center of the map basicly, since noone is really there. You can farm the broadside on either side which is weaker and clear that first. Then deal with the other half.

Just take Haven as an example: When the map was new, the majority of the ppl went in the middle of the map, where B/C caps are located.Actually have one game recorded from back then, where you see the shift happening already:

trr.thumb.jpg.b45c786168033f6caea75d8782d27e64.jpg

Enemy team: Pushing middle. my team coward behind the island where teams are sitting 100% of the time too now. But the south side also sits on I-Line and 8-Line.

Ppl are not willing to l2p, they rather dont play at all... kinda.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
202 posts
5,831 battles

I've noticed a trend amongst some destroyers (mainly japanese torpedo boats) to avoid all caps and sail around the edge of the map, presumably in an effort to torpedo people from unexpected angles without ever having been spotted but that has been going on for a while now. Its also possible there has been an uptake in the tactic by players unable to cope with the increasingly radar and now destroyer heavy meta - in particular the destroyer population has been very high this past week with people trying out their new British destroyers. That could lead to some destroyer players avoiding areas where they are likely to be spotted/hunted by gunboats, including some in the new british destroyers who aren't regular destroyer players and don't know how to DD.

[PMI]
Players
2,479 posts
5,866 battles

All those BB players believeing they must complete every stage on the RN arc?

• Funny 5

Players
551 posts
6,854 battles
17 minutes ago, Unknown_Lifeform said:

I've noticed a trend amongst some destroyers (mainly japanese torpedo boats) to avoid all caps and sail around the edge of the map, presumably in an effort to torpedo people from unexpected angles without ever having been spotted but that has been going on for a while now. Its also possible there has been an uptake in the tactic by players unable to cope with the increasingly radar and now destroyer heavy meta - in particular the destroyer population has been very high this past week with people trying out their new British destroyers. That could lead to some destroyer players avoiding areas where they are likely to be spotted/hunted by gunboats, including some in the new british destroyers who aren't regular destroyer players and don't know how to DD.

Yeah. I understand the urge to not die in the first 3 minutes trying to cap, but at least hanging around the cap to spot is usually possible. Map edges are really traps, so I avoid them.

Weekend Tester
802 posts
5,380 battles
1 hour ago, Caljostro said:

Just curious. So in this last week, I saw lots of dds that just sail along the edges of the map. Am I the only one ?

Only one. These days I have seen only BBs and cruisers hugging borders.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DAVY]
Players
475 posts
4,309 battles
53 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

FIFY

I feel like 90% of the playerrs are just running to the map borders these days... i think they play that way in order to "play" longer, aka avoid conflict for the majority of the match. Why however? i cant tell. Lately when we play division we just go center of the map basicly, since noone is really there. You can farm the broadside on either side which is weaker and clear that first. Then deal with the other half.

Just take Haven as an example: When the map was new, the majority of the ppl went in the middle of the map, where B/C caps are located.Actually have one game recorded from back then, where you see the shift happening already:

trr.thumb.jpg.b45c786168033f6caea75d8782d27e64.jpg

Enemy team: Pushing middle. my team coward behind the island where teams are sitting 100% of the time too now. But the south side also sits on I-Line and 8-Line.

Ppl are not willing to l2p, they rather dont play at all... kinda.

the new meta and it's frustrating for those who play ships that can't take a beating.  My team sails to a corner and gets pinned down by the majority of the red team and the smart few of us get cut off from the remaining forces and still outnumbered. By the time we fight it off the friendlies are deleted and we get pinned down and surrounded and focused.  

OR, you try to play caps and just get deleted from the jump because nobody, not even dds want to help take a cap.  They think they're playing straight up TDM.  I can't count the number of times I typed in chat "so we're just not gonna cap today?" while we lose on points with half of our team still alive.  

Then I get the usual, "shut up noob camper".  Yes, with a lightly armored cruiser I'm just supposed to sail into the open water or go brawl with five other ships.  Got it. 

• Cool 3

[SWTP]
Players
444 posts
6,719 battles
6 minut temu, CraftyVeteran napisał:

the new meta and it's frustrating for those who play ships that can't take a beating.  My team sails to a corner and gets pinned down by the majority of the red team and the smart few of us get cut off from the remaining forces and still outnumbered. By the time we fight it off the friendlies are deleted and we get pinned down and surrounded and focused.  

OR, you try to play caps and just get deleted from the jump because nobody, not even dds want to help take a cap.  They think they're playing straight up TDM.  I can't count the number of times I typed in chat "so we're just not gonna cap today?" while we lose on points with half of our team still alive.  

Then I get the usual, "shut up noob camper".  Yes, with a lightly armored cruiser I'm just supposed to sail into the open water or go brawl with five other ships.  Got it. 

You can take any DD and go to cap yourself, can't you? It is the best way to make sure that this job is done right. I found light cruisers of middle tiers the most frustrating ships to play when my team is mentally challenged (what happens way too often and only hope is that enemies are even worse).

[DAVY]
Players
475 posts
4,309 battles
1 minute ago, DariusJacek said:

You can take any DD and go to cap yourself, can't you? It is the best way to make sure that this job is done right. I found light cruisers of middle tiers the most frustrating ships to play when my team is mentally challenged (what happens way too often and only hope is that enemies are even worse).

While I enjoy sailing DDs for fun, I am absolutely terrible at it and don't want to be a liability to the team.  I just don't enjoy them that much to learn to be good at it.  My best skill set is being the support guy-hence playing cruisers.    Hell I wouldn't mind someone teaching me but my hours of life are opposite from the rest of the world being a night worker.  I don't ever see my clanmates either.  Maybe one day I can do that but for now I have to play what I enjoy doing best to help the most.  

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
475 posts
4,309 battles
2 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

saw more BBs doing in lately (as in, even more than usual)

especially those not designed to do so like the Bismarck. I'm like wtf are you going to hit way back there????

[DAVY]
Players
475 posts
4,309 battles
Just now, piet11111 said:

DD's being "trained" new behavior by the radar meta.

FIFY: DD Players that haven't learned how to counter radar.  I have learned the hard way in my DM: a skilled DD player can sail outside your radar duration and then smoke up and burn you down, rinse repeat.  PPL are cowards in this game because they are rewarded for it.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NED]
Players
1,660 posts
6,206 battles
Just now, CraftyVeteran said:

FIFY: DD Players that haven't learned how to counter radar.  I have learned the hard way in my DM: a skilled DD player can sail outside your radar duration and then smoke up and burn you down, rinse repeat.  PPL are cowards in this game because they are rewarded for it.

All i said is that is a learned response by DD's to radars not that it is the best response.

[DAVY]
Players
475 posts
4,309 battles
6 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

All i said is that is a learned response by DD's to radars not that it is the best response.

fair enough

[SCRUB]
Players
2,450 posts
7,841 battles
6 minutes ago, CraftyVeteran said:

That's exactly what I do a lot. Lure them out, then burn them outside their radar range, specially good with ships like Grozovoi. Don't even have to smoke always, using F3 too.. 

What comes to sailing far from caps. Nowadays you can't "hard-push" to cap really. You have to take your time and deal with radar ships first.

• Cool 2

[DAVY]
Players
475 posts
4,309 battles
15 minutes ago, Kenliero said:

That's exactly what I do a lot. Lure them out, then burn them outside their radar range, specially good with ships like Grozovoi. Don't even have to smoke always, using F3 too.. 

What comes to sailing far from caps. Nowadays you can't "hard-push" to cap really. You have to take your time and deal with radar ships first.

Players
1,807 posts
10,115 battles

I've been seeing alot of IJN DDs deliberately avoiding caps. What is worse is that in a few games even after they know that there are no enemy DDs in the cap they will still not cap. I had to cap in a Yamato once at the start of the game just so the enemy doesnt have such a huge lead.

• Cool 1

Players
1,807 posts
10,115 battles
1 hour ago, CraftyVeteran said:

I dont sail outside of radar range. If the cap has rocks/islands in them i hide behind them and hug it like my waifu. Doesnt matter if they radar me then, they still can't hit me. And if they try to position to hit me they expose themselves to fire from my friendly ships.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,140 posts
10,930 battles
2 hours ago, Unknown_Lifeform said:

Actually an IJN torpboat going wide for unexpected torping angles is a valid tactic in a DD-heavy match - especially if your team has some strong cap contenders and both sides are backed by heavy Radar presence. This will get worse with british DDs because while normally IJN torpboats can afford to meet enemy DDs due to their stealth, this won't be the case anymore - Daring is especially ridiculous in this aspect - she has very tiny gap between her concealment and Shima's, she has decent hp and better DPM against DDs than a Harugumo (yes, really - she has comparable HE DPM and low caliber AP with improved bounce angles - so they arm on DDs and pen them reliably). And then there's hydro to chase into smokes without fear of getting torped. This is an enemy that an IJN DD just can't afford to meet - so they will just do whatever they can to avoid the encounter.

What's depressing, however, is when DDs (and not just IJN torpboats) end up going wide in matches that nave relatively few DDs and relatively weak Radar presence...

[ONE2]
Players
2,497 posts
14,552 battles
9 hours ago, Caljostro said:

Yupp, but on the positive side, I have also noticed them dying alone a lot and quickly so fair enough I guess.:Smile_Default:

• Funny 1

Players
1,588 posts
6,372 battles
7 hours ago, CraftyVeteran said:

Well, that "discussion" is old, as we both know, yet you know yourself that even "good" DDs have no other good choice lately. I'm also not talking about the best case scenario where there are only one or two radar ships in the enemy team but more and, god forbid, they talk to each other! How to deal with that lest say in a Z-52 or any other Destroyer that has more than 6km detection but not 12km+ torpedos (f*cking russian bias radar).

There is a reason why I startet using this dude to describe radar ships, especially these auto-loading 203mm motherf*cker:

1573f00e1fd43efc3e2ff2940c97448997a2cb04

Yeah yeah, "git gut and git pillow waifu"... But you know, there is a reason why the 5% of any server are the 5%. For every unicum there has to be at least 12 average joes like me. But that you also know right?

The easiest fix would be to just be f*cking realistic for once and let radar, hydro and planes LoS be blocked by f*cking islands!

Every game in which radar ships drive in the red team is for a DD basicly nothing more than a game on Ocean.

But wargaming instead "works" on f*ckings Submarines and trys to replace the sh*tty system of Carrier gameplay with another sh*tty system...

Also also:

image.png?w=500&c=1

I know but maybe this will get me some attention from @MrConway so I started swearing again instead of using @Kampa1987 as swearword to troll my personal censor.

[BONI]
Players
1,090 posts
9,611 battles

Can't say I did, but I did see a Shima on Desert Epicenter deliberately avoiding the caps in favor of camping the little rocks in the southeast. Huh.

[GOT]
[GOT]
Players
52 posts
4,679 battles
8 hours ago, CraftyVeteran said:

A skilled DM player would use his radar better tbh. If you even simply stop firing it is highly doubtful anything would even be able to detect you.

In Random I still go heavily for capping in DDs btw, but I am now gonna work my way through US BB line (now at tier 7, in general highest tier BB I got is a Bismarck, but don't see much point in continuing that line to become a border hugging Kurfurst, at least that is what most Kurfursts do). Why? Because let me summarize my last ranked experience (after this I stopped playing ranked, got better things to do than being flamed):

We were winning a game, me (Gearing) and friendly shima detected enemy shima, burned him down. Friendly shima had 10k HP left, so single volley of Stalingrad took him out. I was about 11km from Stalingrad, so decided to run for it. He activated his radar, two volleys later while I was frantically evading I went from full HP to a wreck.

Next game, I detected enemy shima, but broke of contact since I didn't want to be shot to crap. My team flamed crap out of me that I didn't engage the Shima. So I pointed RPF to shima, when I detected him I attacked him. Shockingly the two Yamato's at 10-12km distance blew me out of the water, and even more shockingly, my team flamed crap out of me that I was a noob, I should have just detected him and stayed concealed myself (don't ask me how I would possibly do that in a Gearing vs a Shima).

So yeah, it doesn't sound too strange to me that DDs just play it safe, just like 80% of the rest of the WoWs population is doing with border hugging BBs and island hugging cruisers.

Sign in to follow this