You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ThemistoclesGR

-Worst Ranked season ever-

64 comments in this topic

Players
13 posts
9,850 battles

Hi fellas,

I wanna share my impressions from current Ranked season -by far the worst one for me. Being stuck to rank 5 for 350 battles i feel on the edge to quit playing since its by far away from fun and competition. Of course i wont put it to players as everyone knows a battle may go wrong or good for someone. Ill put it entirely to the match making and more precisely to the ships balance. 

I dont know if you agree with me but a win is 50% to the players and 50% to the ships, different ships with different gameplayes but specific capabilities and advantages. One huge advantage tho is the radar that balances the whole game no matter the ship or the player. Since i had another losing strike today  i feel again that its pointless to get higher to ranks, for ranked 4 i needed 105 battles and im still at rank 5 at 470 battles (yesterdays stats) including numberous backs and forths to 6 and back to 4...if i remember well i reached 3 times rank 4 with 3 stars and fell like 6-7 times to rank 6 or 7 and back again to 5. As i believe many of you had the same experience and the common idea i think is the same with mine. For this reason i screenshot my todays progress, my overall stats to ranked and some match makings as an example.

To all 3 screenshots i uploaded i marked the match making depending the radars at every team. No matter if its a loss for me or win, the winning team had at least one more radar to the losing one (including minotaur). I wont say much for this as most of the players here will agree that the more radars the bigger the advantage. Though i wish i had some yesterdays screenshots that i played 2 battles (ofc lost) with 3 radars vs one.

As a subsubject of my first impresson i want to say about destroyers and how they are matched to balance the teams. Since some dds have radar or hydro as well is an advantage too. Considering that already a cruiser with radar is big advantage then a dd with a radar (that you basically can transfer whenever you want unspoted) is even bigger. So my point here is the teams with yue yang balanced with gearings (i wont say with shimas cause shimas got awesome torps and can balance it to damage) since yue yang is basically a gearing with a radar. The rest comments on this are yours... :cap_haloween:

Third point to match makings is the issue with minotaurs. How the hell a minotaur with smoke can be matched with a cruiser with radar? I've been in many matches that one team has radar (des moines, moskva, worchester) and its matched with a minotaur who -guess hat- he has smoke. Its another "given" advantage to the one of two teams and before yu run to talk about the "choice" to put a radar ill respond with his awesome paper armour... 

Final point-problem of the ranks are the overpowered ships. I've experienced many battles with a precise characteristic, a "new" ship to take the first position no matter the contribution to the team because of false game mechanic. As an example ill put on the table two ships, the worchester and the conqueror. 

I think the worchester as overpowered because it produces a lot of damage with a lot of fires (even you have just used repair) combined with a lot of overpenetrations from the shells fired to it even tho it has light armour. Its not reasonable to deal 3k damage on a worchester from a yamato shell. I think its a little bit shame mostly when there is not even a radar on the other team (match making issue again). :cap_money:

About conqueror i have to say that its op as well for the simple reason that causes 10k dmg per shell and 2 fires even after repair and at the end it disappears from the "spotted" area after a few seconds, at least manage to balance it with another conqueror at ranked games.

To conclude with, for those simple points i think this ranked season is a total mess, by far the worst of all the previous ones (even with the t7 i played lol). Bad players getting advantage of op ships to climb the ranks even they dont deserve it, match making makes better players to struggle to get where they deserved to be and generally all this is far away from the "fun" of the game. At least you could bring back the "irrevocable" stages after rank 10 so ppl wont damn the game for this situation and mostly they wont quit ranked season. Afterall if it was a fair season as pronounced before the beginning you should be able to keep the rank that you earned...

I hope my English are good enough to make my points clear,

Thanks in advance :cap_cool:

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
3,589 posts
5,930 battles

Dont wanna sound rude, but maybe you reached your own skill ceiling? If the teams are that bad, if you are a better player, you should, on average, save your star more often in a loss aswell.

Apart from that:

Personaly i wouldnt play Shima in ranked. Imo its bad. You have Moskva/Salem/Mino, they have all radar why not play them? You think they are better than non-radar Cruisers, so you should be able to advance with them? Question still remains: Maybe you are rating yourself too good?

F.e. im only currently am R9, and yes, the players are pretty bad there. If it would be true what most ppl say, that at R5+ players are even WORSE, then it should be even easier to advance. And i cant believe that. Ive lost 7 out of 30, and only 1 star loss so far. Should be a piece of cake if everyone starts to get worse :cap_yes:.

As im not there yet, i cant really comment on HOW the teams behave. But when i get to R5 i might switch from Hindi to Salem or Radar Mino, as i expect a higher value from Radar. Low-Mid ranks i rather go with Rambo Hindi style :cap_rambo:Works out fine, you can tank comfortably and most cruisers dont pose a threat anyway. Atleast not at that skill-level :fish_book:

• Cool 5

Players
13 posts
9,850 battles

No i never wanted to put it to myself, i consider myself an average player and of course its not an experienced based on one ship, i played enough battles wit shima moskva, kurfust, salem, minotaur..all styles and combinations. My overall conclusion is what i wrote :cap_cool:

Screenshot_123.png

[UNICS]
Players
2,883 posts
12,106 battles

You can find the top performing ships here - https://wows-numbers.com/season/id,10/?type=rank

Wooster and YY may be overperforming somewhat. Conq is near the bottom. Radars are powerful in this years ranked, but it's not the deciding factor if one team has one more radar. If you really believe so, you really should consider picking your radar cruisers instead of your shima. I'd say DFens is pretty spot on in his post.

edit: The last part of your post about 'deserving' and not being fun... are you sure you deserve to be higher?

• Cool 4

[-TXG-]
Players
2,377 posts

Early ranked whine posts coming in fast this season....it's usually the last week when the abusive 'f off wg' etc etc really starts from the rank 3/4/5 players that are failing to get to Rank 1. :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
13 posts
9,850 battles
5 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

You can find the top performing ships here - https://wows-numbers.com/season/id,10/?type=rank

Wooster and YY may be overperforming somewhat. Conq is near the bottom. Radars are powerful in this years ranked, but it's not the deciding factor if one team has one more radar. If you really believe so, you really should consider picking your radar cruisers instead of your shima. I'd say DFens is pretty spot on in his post.

Thanks for the site its very usefull, im not checking those pages much but im talking by personal experience. What i saw and met is what i write here but before we continue our discussion, whats your opinion about this ranked season comparing it with the past ones? 

5 minutes ago, bushwacker001 said:

Early ranked whine posts coming in fast this season....it's usually the last week when the abusive 'f off wg' etc etc really starts from the rank 3/4/5 players that are failing to get to Rank 1. :Smile_teethhappy:

Its not about fail or sucess, though my average xp at my stats show you (i hope) that i can play decently enough to have an opinion, anyway i clearly say its my personal aspect. I suppose you are R1, but really, do you even speak with other players or you pick the "right" ones to talk with? Because i olny see your statement ans not your proof to it. Anyway if more posts/comments pop up for the same reason at least that means something you may ignore because you are "too good a player" to bother :cap_horn:

[SM0KE]
Players
2,089 posts
5,843 battles

I more or less gave up at Rank 15 (I absolutely am not good enough to get to Rank 1, and don't have time/patience to fail that high), so I'm not exactly well informed, but the fact that the next Ranked season (currently being tested) will be a lot shorter, and use Tier 5 ships is rather suggestive that the current season isn't working ('working' defined as having lots of people playing it)...?

Players
1,512 posts
10,546 battles

Best ranked season ever. I started late and I've never had it so easy or teammates cooperating so well. I do cheat every game and use the chat to lay out the strategy at the start. Also I explain the reason and purpose for each ship group and magically everyone usually follows the plan. That has just about never happened to me before, usually there is 2-3 'special' players on each team doing their own thing (BBs and shimas for the most part). 

I always played dds when it got hard, it is my strongest class. This season i play Grozovoi for the luls to grind the legendary upgrade. Solid 68% wr, currently sitting R3**** with 87 games played. Also a bit Worcester for variation, but my grozo winrate is actually better.

I can recommend radar minotaur, it should be able to reach similar winrate. DDs is the best and the hardest carry class. If you cannot make either work, maybe you prefer different shiptypes, or not to sound rude, you may have topped out. I hit a barrier in my first ranked season and it took me a solid 50-100 Blyskawica games to figure out the R2-R5 meta and adapt.

Radar advantage matters little as I seem to be winnig most radarless games too. On the other hand, having a Stalingrad or having a worchester instead of as i, that bodes well for winning.

As to radarships, the only useful ones are Mino, YY and worchester as their range exceeds concealment.

finally use chat for strategy, it is the most OP cheat in ranked, especially if you have someone on team with CW experience who know the good positions and also how to attack those hiding there.

best of luck!

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,883 posts
12,106 battles
30 minutes ago, ThemistoclesGR said:

Thanks for the site its very usefull, im not checking those pages much but im talking by personal experience. What i saw and met is what i write here but before we continue our discussion, whats your opinion about this ranked season comparing it with the past ones?

I think the season was good, but I think radars do play a bit too large of a role at the moment. It's most noticeable in rank 5-2 and a larger issue in some certain maps. Some ships are clearly more viable than others. I think YY, Stalingrad, Wooster, radar mino, Zao, maybe Yama are best in current meta, but I'm not sure any ship is truly OP. Perhaps Stalingrad and possibly YY and Wooster. I stuck to what I know the whole season, the YY, and the only switch I made was from smoke to radar after a losing streak when I hit rank 5/4. There was also no point in trying to save stars when playing dds, it's all win or lose, stay alive and support the team. Pretty much the same as last season, but even greater emphasis on radars.

6 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

I always played dds when it got hard, it is my strongest class. This season i play Grozovoi for the luls to grind the legendary upgrade. Solid 68% wr, currently sitting R3**** with 87 games played. Also a bit Worcester for variation, but my grozo winrate is actually better.

That''s very good in a Grozo... it feels like a brick compared to YY. How do you utilise it? dd hunter, capping, spotting, support ship?

Players
367 posts
1,500 battles
40 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

the next Ranked season (currently being tested) will be a lot shorter, and use Tier 5 ships

This had passed me by. Well hello Giulio*  :Smile_playing:

*If I have the time, energy, and an adequate space to play anything but co-op.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,089 posts
5,843 battles
3 minutes ago, 10ThousandThings said:

This had passed me by. Well hello Giulio*  :Smile_playing:

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out (assuming it makes it through testing) - it's not just GC; there are all the Kamikazes running around out there too, not to mention Gremy (although the latter is somewhat less scary with the smoke nerfs)...

Players
367 posts
1,500 battles
3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out (assuming it makes it through testing) - it's not just GC; there are all the Kamikazes running around out there too, not to mention Gremy (although the latter is somewhat less scary with the smoke nerfs)...

Indeed. Giulio just happens to be the only one I own ;-)

Jokes about OP T5 premiums aside, it's good that there's going to be another one at lower tiers.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,089 posts
5,843 battles

FWIW this is the quote from the development blog on facebook:

"A new format for ranked battles has been added to the game – Sprint. During the first two seasons of this format players can participate using ships tier V in 6x6 and 8x8 battles relatively. There are 10 ranks available. It’s allowed to enter the battle in a division of two players. The duration of this season will be significantly shorter than the usual one’s. League of Seawolves is turned off.

This format is more suitable for beginners but everybody can participate."

It doesn't say if this replaces the existing format, or is as well as it...

• Cool 1

[-TXG-]
Players
2,377 posts
1 hour ago, ThemistoclesGR said:

Its not about fail or sucess, though my average xp at my stats show you (i hope) that i can play decently enough to have an opinion, anyway i clearly say its my personal aspect. I suppose you are R1, but really, do you even speak with other players or you pick the "right" ones to talk with? Because i olny see your statement ans not your proof to it. Anyway if more posts/comments pop up for the same reason at least that means something you may ignore because you are "too good a player" to bother :cap_horn:

I wasn't talking about stats I was merely commenting on the steady rise in whine posts towards the end of every ranked season....you watch over the next week or so. Actually I am Rank 6 but couldn't care a monkeys as I only play ranked for captain elite XP as I have previously mentioned. That way I don't let ranked get to me as it's just a game. some people take it FAR too seriously.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,613 posts
5,167 battles
1 hour ago, loppantorkel said:

Interesting, thank you - just found out that I rank 51st in the minotaur, woot :)

For me, t8 was a doddle, the T10 stuff, Mino worked best for me and the others slipped away. Currently parked at 10th. not sure if I will devote the time to go further.

Players
1,512 posts
10,546 battles
1 hour ago, loppantorkel said:

That''s very good in a Grozo... it feels like a brick compared to YY. How do you utilise it? dd hunter, capping, spotting, support ship?

I think most of it is using chat at the start.

I use it on the off-cap or as 2nd line DD and a dd hunter much like a gearing. I never take it into the island rich caps but if i go with main fleet, I instead flank for shots at the enemy dd campingspot. That usually results in a cap sinve the dd must leave or die.

Always a lot of spotting and making sure at strategy in chat i have the bigger guns for backup on the flank (something to trash a zao), and if enemy brings BB, I get behind them, torps and the smoke+BBQ is usually enough for a BB kill .

It can take anything but a harugumo or khabarovsk on and win or chunk it low. Either that creates a force advantage that can be traslated into torping/bbq on cruisers/bb or if enemy has more ships, without a healthy DD they can't really push. 

I only ever cap the off cap and enemy's off cap after killing a dd or engineering to take down their CA.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
194 posts
5,643 battles
2 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Wooster and YY may be overperforming somewhat. Conq is near the bottom.

Interesting. I've been adopting the much less scientific and more anecdotal approach of simply checking the stats of anyone I see in randoms who got to rank 1 ahead of me to see what their "strategy" was - what ships they used and how their win rates in them compare with other ships and their overall stats. My conclusion was that Zao was the weapon of choice for highly skilled players and that people who mained Worcester tended to have lower win rates in ranked in comparison with their overalls than did Zao players. Where someone played both they always had a higher win rate in the Zao. So its kind of interesting to see the Worcester placed so much higher in the Zao. Either my sample was unrepresentative or maybe the skill ceiling (and also floor) is higher in the Zao making it a better choice for unicums but not so for the general population.

Conqueror doesn't surprise me, if only because it seems to be top choice with lower skilled players going for a save a star strategy. 

[CHN-P]
Players
34 posts
9,075 battles

It's time to improve your skills. Kowning your situation and enemy dds is the key to win a rank. Especially when you play dds.

I play Khaba in rank only, currently 120+ to r2.3. When i dont know where to go at the beginning,  I will possibly lose that game.

Players
13 posts
9,850 battles
3 hours ago, Unknown_Lifeform said:

Interesting. I've been adopting the much less scientific and more anecdotal approach of simply checking the stats of anyone I see in randoms who got to rank 1 ahead of me to see what their "strategy" was - what ships they used and how their win rates in them compare with other ships and their overall stats. My conclusion was that Zao was the weapon of choice for highly skilled players and that people who mained Worcester tended to have lower win rates in ranked in comparison with their overalls than did Zao players. Where someone played both they always had a higher win rate in the Zao. So its kind of interesting to see the Worcester placed so much higher in the Zao. Either my sample was unrepresentative or maybe the skill ceiling (and also floor) is higher in the Zao making it a better choice for unicums but not so for the general population.

Conqueror doesn't surprise me, if only because it seems to be top choice with lower skilled players going for a save a star strategy. 

Yes Zao is awesome ship, actually a multi tool for any situation. It matters tho the setup you make on it depending whats your tactics, concealment or rudder..etc

Players
329 posts
12,973 battles
26 minutes ago, ThemistoclesGR said:

Yes Zao is awesome ship, actually a multi tool for any situation. It matters tho the setup you make on it depending whats your tactics, concealment or rudder..etc

"Awesome" is an overstatement, she will get obliterated by anything that fires rapidly :cap_rambo:Simply a good ship, but not equipped fittingly to guarantee victory. 

Also, why do you insist on bringing a Shima to the fight? It would seem that your problem is picking the wrong tool for the job, take something to control those caps instead.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,675 battles

Shima needs to be banned from Ranked.

You know it's GG when your team has triple Shima vs a YY, Gearing and Haru. If you're not a DD all you can do is farm a star save. Also at least one of those Shima will try and do a Gunboat impression and fall short vs a genuine one :Smile_child:

GK and Mino are not good ships either. GK is derpy as hell and needs to give broadside to use the rear guns. Mino whether smoke or radar has a really high skill ceiling and about a quarter if not more T10s can one shot you. Moskva might be good as it's armour can almost resist Yams when angled with the armour buffs but Cruisers are fairly difficult to play.

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Players
1,211 posts
15,064 battles

Lets just hope next season is T VI..

Still no flint because i can be an impulsive buyer, 3 ranks 1's just give to me weeGee :P 

[BG-EU]
Players
68 posts
12,803 battles

Tbh, I know people complain about potatoes in ranked but I apart from a few oddballs I’ve only encountered people willing to play as a team. I think clan wars has fostered at least a modicum of objective based team play. 

At some point your own skill ceiling will kick in _ but that’s life. I’ve never got past R5 _ because I’m not good enough.