You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DuneDreamer

Asashio - the best ship to piss people off

23 comments in this topic

Question

[STARS]
Players
375 posts

I was very hesitant before purchasing this ship but it turned out that it made a lot of people mad pretty fast. You know why. It has deep water torpedoes with excellent damage and they are difficult to spot. The torpedo reload booster only complicates the things more for battleship players. During the last two days I played many games with this destroyer and it really makes even tier 10 players mad. I wasn't able to tell what I enjoyed more - the gameplay or the players' comments when I sank their ships with torps. Some of the recent ones were:

"Don't worry wallet warrior - you got your report. How did it feel doing nothing and spamming people with 20km torpedoes the entire game?" 

"Pay to win? What did you buy this ship with, Bulgarian? Eggs?"

Been reported for just using this ship whose main purpose is to sink battleships is funny. I think that WG have made the perfect ship to piss off battleship players regardless of tier. What do you think? Can any other ship claim the title of the most annoying and overreported ship in the game? :)

22 answers to this question

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
370 posts
7,293 battles

image.png.a9ab1ac1cd940f535352cdf4ccb56b5e.png

I only recently purchased Asashio and haven't gotten around to trying her yet, but I'll be interested to see if she can earn me more reports than Belfast does.

Think I may try her out now infact.

[DREAD]
Players
5,135 posts
5,074 battles
38 minutes ago, DuneDreamer said:

I was very hesitant before purchasing this ship but it turned out that it made a lot of people mad pretty fast. You know why. It has deep water torpedoes with excellent damage and they are difficult to spot. The torpedo reload booster only complicates the things more for battleship players. During the last two days I played many games with this destroyer and it really makes even tier 10 players mad. I wasn't able to tell what I enjoyed more - the gameplay or the players' comments when I sank their ships with torps. Some of the recent ones were:

"Don't worry wallet warrior - you got your report. How did it feel doing nothing and spamming people with 20km torpedoes the entire game?" 

"Pay to win? What did you buy this ship with, Bulgarian? Eggs?"

Been reported for just using this ship whose main purpose is to sink battleships is funny. I think that WG have made the perfect ship to piss off battleship players regardless of tier. What do you think? Can any other ship claim the title of the most annoying and overreported ship in the game? :)

Some BB-bobs complain about her strike potential - all the way while nuking the next CA out of the water. 

Don’t worry - it’s all good :-)

Btw I absolutely love this ship. I cap a lot and play extremely close with the team - opposite to what the reviews where thinking. And while doing so - of course - torping Bobs. The bobber the better. Ideally the BBs don’t even change directions 

[STARS]
Players
375 posts
19 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Btw I absolutely love this ship. I cap a lot and play extremely close with the team - opposite to what the reviews where thinking. And while doing so - of course - torping Bobs. The bobber the better. Ideally the BBs don’t even change directions 

It is also the first ship with which I don't mind playing against higher tier ships. It kind of negates the difference in tiers but also allows you to play with a lower tier ships. In fact, when the matchmaking puts me against tier 10 battleships, the first thing that crosses my mind is - "Their repairs will be expensive. :)"

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,078 posts
6,718 battles

TBH I don't like Asashio because apart for farming damage on easy targets, it's useless. It's a ship that is useless at :

- Contesting caps

- Dealing with the real priority targets (DD, radar cruisers)

- Helping his team in the whole

- Won't do sh*t anyway if the opponent battleships are kiting or are simply skilled enough to dodge torpedoes.

• Cool 1

[STARS]
Players
375 posts
3 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

TBH I don't like Asashio because apart for farming damage on easy targets, it's useless. It's a ship that is useless at :

- Contesting caps

- Dealing with the real priority targets (DD, radar cruisers)

- Helping his team in the whole

- Won't do sh*t anyway if the opponent battleships are kiting or are simply skilled enough to dodge torpedoes.

In fact, it is good at contesting caps because of its excellent concealment. I just need to spot the dd before it spots me so that my team can start firing at it. They I simply destroy it if they haven't already.

It helps the team a lot by dealing heavy damage to battleships and contesting caps.

[UTW]
8,078 posts
6,718 battles
7 minutes ago, DuneDreamer said:

In fact, it is good at contesting caps because of its excellent concealment. I just need to spot the dd before it spots me so that my team can start firing at it. They I simply destroy it if they haven't already.

You can't outspot :

- Harekaze, which toys with you.

- Shimakaze, which outgun you.

- Yuugumo, which is still better.

- Gearing with Legendary module.

- Daring unless they changes its stats, and Daring will absolutely DESTROYS you.

Then you have an absolutely terrible concealment advantage of 300-400 meters against :

- Benson

- Fletcher

- Lo yang

- Kidd

- Chung Mu

- Yue Yang

- Kitakaze

And 300-400 meters isn't enough when you're fighting a faster and dedicated DD hunter, especially if they have RPF.

Then, you clearly outspots Harugumo and Akizuki, but if they still catch you, you're dead, period.

Also Grozovoi is a big danger for you too.

But assuming you can dodge the issue and maneuver skillfully between the DDs, you still find yourself against cruiser, and Asashio is completely hopeless against them, which is why I grumble a lot when I see an Asashio in my team.

[STARS]
Players
375 posts
1 hour ago, ShinGetsu said:

You can't outspot :

- Harekaze, which toys with you.

- Shimakaze, which outgun you.

- Yuugumo, which is still better.

- Gearing with Legendary module.

- Daring unless they changes its stats, and Daring will absolutely DESTROYS you.

Since I have both Shimakaze and Asashio, I can see that the latter has 200m extra concealment. I don't have the time to check you data against all the ships you quoted but since you were wrong about the 2 I have, I'll take it that your fact finding mission is unsuccessful...

[UTW]
8,078 posts
6,718 battles

Shimakaze full concealment is spotted as 5.58km.

Kagerou/Asashio/Harekaze are spotted at 5.37km. (Same hull with same values)

Yuugumo is in between with 5.51.

The difference is not even worth noticing. No DD can reasonably hope to stay within 200 meters of another without being spotted. Not even accounting rendering delay.

You're just playing on words there. You can't reasonably say you outspot Shimakaze. It's true on paper, but the difference is so marginal it won't change ANYTHING in battle. They'll get spotted roughly at the same time, or maybe with a half second delay.

Lo yang, Benson and Fletcher are spotted at 5.8, Chung Mu 5.7, Gearing around 6, Akizuki 6.1, Kitakaze 5.9 et YY around 5.9. Tbh only when you starts outspotting at around 600 meters the difference really become relevant. So you have chances to escape Gearing, Akizuki. The others will spots you, especially if they know what they are hunting.

Players
2,321 posts
11,903 battles

What @ShinGetsu says is absolutely correct.

But this are only the stats of the ships in a 1:1 duell.

What matters a lot in game is the skill of the players and whether you have support or not.

An enemy YueYang/Harekaze/Kidd etc. is dead when I spot her in my Asashio and my support is skilled enough (and vice versa).

[STARS]
Players
375 posts
15 minutes ago, Randschwimmer said:

What @ShinGetsu says is absolutely correct.

But this are only the stats of the ships in a 1:1 duell.

What matters a lot in game is the skill of the players and whether you have support or not.

An enemy YueYang/Harekaze/Kidd etc. is dead when I spot her in my Asashio and my support is skilled enough (and vice versa).

It isn't good to contradict yourself...

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
370 posts
7,293 battles

Asashio would seem to work well when supported early game, it can torp from beyond radar ranges and its competitive concealment gives it good odds at avoiding confrontations in close quarters combined with its smoke.

Later in the game, particularly if no BB targets remain, Asashio is going to struggle to contribute. Even a crippled cruiser is a significant threat and Asashio doesn't 1v1 well with other DDs under optimal circumstances.

However, with some fortune and the aforementioned support, serious damage to enemy BBs can enable the team to push aggressively on Asashios side, or if the enemy is pushing the flank that Asashio protects their BBs should face dangerous torp walls, enabling your own teams push elsewhere to gain more momentum than the enemy. But still, with BBs off the map, Asashio can cap or try to gun down wounded targets (DDs and cruiser sometimes amusingly attempt to dodge the DW torps, so you can displace people with them sometimes) but I think most of the time you want to be able to remove heavies and potentially enable some snowballing.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
307 posts
8,252 battles

The best ship to piss people off is a Khabarovsk or Harugumo.

The Asashio is imo not competitive in the current meta. You can do a lot of damage, if the circumstances favor you, but that is not often the case. It is a bit like taking defAA nowadays (you get carriers you get XP, you don't get them you wasted a consumable). The Asashio faces the same problems that torpedo boats do in general. Radar, Hydro, planes, they all mess up your torpedo attacks. Most DDs will outgun you. You can contest caps, but it is very risky.

When I see an Asashio in a cruiser I start smiling. I will hunt it down without hesitation, cause it cannot do anything against me. I will also act as a spotter for my BBs. Normally I would risk eating torps myself if I position between an enemy DD and my BBs but here it works fine.

From my observation, the Asashio can get good results if she catches lonely BBs. But by the time she does that, the enemy team is already decimated, maybe losing, the torping of the Asashio is not crucial to achieve victory. Sometimes the Asashio catches a BB off guard early, but they are mostly the players that don't know how to play BBs anyway and would have died early by giving broadside or getting HE-spammed. I can hardly remember a game where an Asashio carried or was decisive for our win. My most prominent memories are of games where an Asashio was the last ship alive on either team, being hunted by cruisers and everyone knew the end.

[DSPA]
Beta Tester
256 posts

Harugumo is OP. Enjoy it till it  lasts. Hopefully not long.

As for Asashio , nah. Too dependable. 

[STARS]
Players
375 posts
11 hours ago, Sharpasaspoon said:

The easiest way to stop BBs dissing you in chat is turn it off lol.  Noticed how the aduse gets worse the higher the tier?

The higher the tier, the more costly the repairs and the worse the abuse. Tier 10 battleship players get mad when their ships are destroyed so easily by a tier 8 bought premium. It feels like their hard grinding was for nothing and their skills are negated.

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
5,135 posts
5,074 battles
15 minutes ago, DuneDreamer said:

The higher the tier, the more costly the repairs and the worse the abuse. Tier 10 battleship players get mad when their ships are destroyed so easily by a tier 8 bought premium. It feels like their hard grinding was for nothing and their skills are negated.

Wut? There isn’t such thing as “repair costs” buddy. Everyone pays a “service fee” no matter the damage taken or whether the ship got sunk or not.

but nice myth 

[STARS]
Players
375 posts
11 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Wut? There isn’t such thing as “repair costs” buddy. Everyone pays a “service fee” no matter the damage taken or whether the ship got sunk or not.

but nice myth 

Thanks for pointing this out, Mr Obvious.

[HUN]
Players
205 posts
2,191 battles
On 9/27/2018 at 10:35 AM, 1MajorKoenig said:

but nice myth 

In practice it is a repair cost, if you get sunk before you are able to score enough credits. If you stay alive for long enough, you can earn more than the service fee. If you die early, you won't.

Players
451 posts
6,401 battles
On 9/25/2018 at 10:18 PM, ShinGetsu said:

Shimakaze full concealment is spotted as 5.58km.

Kagerou/Asashio/Harekaze are spotted at 5.37km. (Same hull with same values)

Yuugumo is in between with 5.51.

The difference is not even worth noticing. No DD can reasonably hope to stay within 200 meters of another without being spotted. Not even accounting rendering delay.

You're just playing on words there. You can't reasonably say you outspot Shimakaze. It's true on paper, but the difference is so marginal it won't change ANYTHING in battle. They'll get spotted roughly at the same time, or maybe with a half second delay.

Lo yang, Benson and Fletcher are spotted at 5.8, Chung Mu 5.7, Gearing around 6, Akizuki 6.1, Kitakaze 5.9 et YY around 5.9. Tbh only when you starts outspotting at around 600 meters the difference really become relevant. So you have chances to escape Gearing, Akizuki. The others will spots you, especially if they know what they are hunting.

Yeah, and there is not much one can do in an Asashio that can't be done in a Chung Mu with it's 4.8 km stealth window. I have the torpedo reload on mine down to 82 seconds and I can do all the DD things while farming damage against cruisers and BBs if they are dumb enough to sail in a straight line. And there are a lot of dumb BB and cruiser players in the high tiers. 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,421 posts
13,838 battles
3 hours ago, Praevasc said:

If you stay alive for long enough, you can earn more than the service fee. If you die early, you won't.

Meh, depends really. If you manage to get a good trade early (say, yourself for 3 DDs) then you'll usually get away with quite a bit of profit.

Also the best class to make people mad are still CVs. Doesn't matter whether you're a god or a complete potato, both the enemy team and your own will curse your name.