Nasty_Ninja

New player here, asking for how to improve.

14 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
352 battles

Hello fourm peeps, I have gotten into this game thanks to my brother, and finding quite fun as of now. 

Right now i have just unlocked us t7 New Orleans, and also starting to grind other lines(currently Germans bbs at t4, us dds at t4 but placed on hold for now, thinking of resuming German cruiser grind).

the issue is while Pensacola has the speed and the agility to evade shells, plus very thin armor that can cause more overpens then pens, the same cannot be said for New Orleans, she feels massive, slow and eats citadels everywhere as soon as a bb looks in its general direction, and me not being sure on how to deal with DDs, which is supposed to be a cruiser’s job according to the wiki. That said, it’s ap shells along with the improved autobounce thing has netted me a lot of damage vs other cruisers, but it’s HE feels meh at best.

so I’m  asking on how to improve on New Orleans, and how to improve cruiser tactics as a whole, or I should be dropping US cruisers grind for now.

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
594 posts
2,686 battles

Watching youtube videos are always a good way to pick up on game knowledge and such, id recommend watching flamu videos, as he likes to explain why he does what he does, and in general makes very educational yet fun to watch videos about the game.

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,669 battles
19 minutes ago, thiextar said:

as he likes to explain why he does what he does,

Flamus games are rigged, if you try to do what he does you will be nuked down in a blink. Alot depend on the team, but you alone must be capable of kiling all 12 enemies to secure a win (this forums #1 rule, otherwise you are a potato noob).

There is no general way of getting better than personal experience, reading and learning game mechanics that noone know how they work as RNGesus is never sober.

• Funny 1

Players
1,169 posts
9,151 battles

It's a heavy cruiser. You can go hunt DDs - with the flat shell trajectories, it works better than some light cruisers sometimes. But the main opponent is enemy cruisers, many of which you can pen at will with the big guns. You can even deal nasty AP damage to BBs. Watch a few Flamu videos on youtube. Generally (though I am by no means a master), the key to successful cruiser play is to be careful not to rush in and lose a lot of health at the start, find a safe position where you are not being shot at while you can keep doing constant damage, and be a decisive force in the endgame when you can quickly dispatch wounded ships with a few quick volleys. Besides shooting across islands, it is generally safe to play either a bit behind the BBs, or come in sideways, at right angles to the line between the BB and its target, so the target is reluctant to turn its guns to you and away from the BB. Or firing angled while kiting away is also usually good, especially if you have a decent fraction of guns on the rear, not quite as effective with A-B-Y ships like the NO, Indy or Gali.

Generally, I'd like to add some points regarding economy/management, which is a yuge part of the game not many new players immediately see. You should:

1) Grind out Nicholas real quick. That will really not take long. You may have noticed that most of the challenges and combat missions are restricted to Tier V and up, as is the Royal Navy Arc that is currently under way. Having the Tier V DD will increase your options to farm those goodies, even if you should not get a RN DD out of it. (Edit: the same of course goes for König, which is a real good T5 BB.)

1b) Maybe consider grinding out Farragut as soon as possible, too. I don't know if you have seen the Operations, or Scenarios as they are called in the Wiki, or if the current OP Dynamo will be in the weekly rotation from now on or if it will remain a once-a-year event. But if you want to do that one, Farragut would be the easiest way and I think it would be worth it. You have another one-and-a-half weeks to do so (deadline Oct 4th) and try and get a good result. Besides being fun, and netting 5K coal for a 5* result, it could get you three Dunkirk containers, which will come in handy later on (although it could be a few weeks' or months time) once you start on British lines and want to get Captain Jack Dunkirk.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Scenarios

2) Get Dallas. It should also not take too long since you already unlocked Omaha. She will give you more opportunities to play the Tier VI operations. If you haven't done them, or many of them - most operations yield really useful goodies, especially for the first 5* result.

3) You should definitely grind out Baltimore . That will give you access to (part of) Ranked Battles, Clan Battles, and Operation Cherry Blossom. More goodies. You have till October 8th if you want to catch the tail end of the current Ranked season, I'm not sure if it's worth it, but you have at least a few key words to look up and sort out your own priorities.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-10/

For Clan Battles, you of course need to find a clan that lets you play, well before the start of next CB season, which I don't know when it is. However, it is super highly recommended since playing even just one CB always gave two straight weeks of free commander skill point redistribution. Great fun and saves lots of gold. Now this is of course all the more fun, the more skill points you have to play with and the more premium ships you have to put the maxed-out captains on, so try to max out at least one commander, in your case obviously the heavy cruiser guy.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
594 posts
2,686 battles
12 minutes ago, Azalgor said:

Flamus games are rigged, if you try to do what he does you will be nuked down in a blink. Alot depend on the team, but you alone must be capable of kiling all 12 enemies to secure a win (this forums #1 rule, otherwise you are a potato noob).

There is no general way of getting better than personal experience, reading and learning game mechanics that noone know how they work as RNGesus is never sober.

Op was asking for advice, not excuses as to why you are a bad player.

Players
6 posts
352 battles

As far as I’m concerned, flamu tutorial vids imo are of when stars align and you don’t get noobs in your side and the enemy team is somewhat competent. I have aready been warned by my brother that in higher tiers it is reasonable to expect that everyone in blue team is a potato(he keeps using potato instead of noob, what does it even mean here) and red team is generally half competent.

also terrible at destroyers as of now, currently my strategy is to rush cap as soon as possible, drive off the other dd, maybe killing it, but after that I often find that I have overextended and 5 angry bbs and crusiers are up my arse.

[-AP-]
Players
594 posts
2,686 battles
38 minutes ago, Nasty_Ninja said:

As far as I’m concerned, flamu vids imo are of when stars align and you don’t get noobs in your side and the enemy team is somewhat competent. I have aready been warned by my brother that in higher tiers it is reasonable to expect that everyone in blue team is a potato(he keeps using potato instead of noob, what does it even mean here) and red team is generally half competent.

also terrible at destroyers as of now, currently my strategy is to rush cap as soon as possible, drive off the other dd, maybe killing it, but after that I often find that I have overextended and 5 angry bbs and crusiers are up my arse.

Flamu vids are indeed of very good games, but all of the tips and explanation that he give you in them, are still very very releveant. Also, if you check out his stream, you will see that he plays consistently very very good. 

When it comes to the teams, that is just pure randomness, but you should always play as if you cant trust anyone on your team, and you will never be let down.

Now when it comes to the flamu vids, your brother has it backwards, most of his videos are of when his team is absolutely terrible, and the enemy team outplays all his teamates while he does his best to still win it for the team. This is how you get both high damage and exciting games. A lot of the stuff that flamu does might at first glance seem like stars aligning or unbelievable luck, but really its just him putting himself in good positions where he can exploit his enemies whilst covering his own weaknesses. Its a product of skill, experience and situational awareness, which is why they are so incredibly good at teaching the game. 

Its not stars aligning when hes got several videos of every ship in the game with "stars aligning" results and a near daily upload scheme ;) 

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
1,237 battles

Moving on to cheap and cheerful options from the Premium shop.

If you are willing to blow a little money on the game, you can currently get the Tachibana Lima and Smith for 89 (Euro) cents each. These are bad ships; they make you work hard for your wins. But even if you don't like that specific challenge, you can always sell them and are left with cheap port slots. Not as cheap as the discounted port slots for 120 or 150 gold but who knows when that will happen next. (Probably some time before Christmas, which is when there will also be other discounts, so have a quick glance at the news etc.)

Since you are grinding German BBs, Emden would fit in your port if you like that kind of ship and develop a nostalgic taste for the odd low tier bout of sealclubbing later on. German BBs of the higher tiers basically demand a secondaries/brawling captain build, and that little thing benefits from most of the captain skills involved. So even though on paper, Emden looks like a worse if fancy looking Dresden, she is a lot more fun with that high skill point German BB captain at the helm than your Dresden or Kolberg with a regular Three-pointer used to be. The basic game play remains identical to those ships, of course. Something similar might go for Albany but I don't have that ship myself. In any event, discounts come and go, and low tier ships are sometimes the most heavily discounted ones.

Marblehead Lima can currently be had at €8.99, it's basically an Omaha with better torps and would be a very worthwhile addition despite the horrible camo. Texas you should already have, free of charge, since you hopefully used an invite code to set up your account, also currently discounted, recently buffed with a spotter plane, but imho that was not enough to make her a good offer. Arizona is better but has worse AA than New Mexico, which in the current carrier surge is a very bad thing. Would not buy. And neither is there anything else currently on offer to grab my fancy. Watch out for good value premium account deals as the holidays draw nearer, and meanwhile have fun with other things like the RN Arc and the upcoming Halloween special.

Players
1,169 posts
9,151 battles
Vor 17 Stunden, Nasty_Ninja sagte:

As far as I’m concerned, flamu tutorial vids imo are of when stars align and you don’t get noobs in your side

He has plenty of videos where he has terrible team mates and even some where he can't compensate and loses.

Zitat

also terrible at destroyers as of now,

Maybe try some of Flamu's advice on that ;-))) I mean it can't be worse than doing the same thing over and over again with the same results.

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,590 battles
On 2018-09-23 at 6:00 PM, Nasty_Ninja said:

Hello fourm peeps, I have gotten into this game thanks to my brother, and finding quite fun as of now. 

Right now i have just unlocked us t7 New Orleans, and also starting to grind other lines(currently Germans bbs at t4, us dds at t4 but placed on hold for now, thinking of resuming German cruiser grind).

the issue is while Pensacola has the speed and the agility to evade shells, plus very thin armor that can cause more overpens then pens, the same cannot be said for New Orleans, she feels massive, slow and eats citadels everywhere as soon as a bb looks in its general direction, and me not being sure on how to deal with DDs, which is supposed to be a cruiser’s job according to the wiki. That said, it’s ap shells along with the improved autobounce thing has netted me a lot of damage vs other cruisers, but it’s HE feels meh at best.

so I’m  asking on how to improve on New Orleans, and how to improve cruiser tactics as a whole, or I should be dropping US cruisers grind for now.

You have a low game number so I suggest you stop grinding to get further, but play the NO to get captain skills. The higher up you go the level 4 skill CE is necessary, before that it is difficult to judge a ship. US crusiers have good concealment with CE and it helps to know when to fire and when to stay/go silent. The higher up you go the Battleships are likely to punish you hard/ even one shot you so situational awarenesss is the key.

Therefor other lines that are more suited to a kiting role like IJN or French f.e. are perhaps easier for a new player at tiers 7 and above. They have also torps as a last resort, US do not which makes it far less risky for several ships to rush you. I am not saying that you should play all lines but mix more T5-6 and build up captains and play different ships also to know your enemy.

• Cool 2

Players
6 posts
352 battles
4 hours ago, gyrostabilizer said:

U picked up one of the hardest lines to play :) If you can play american cruiser u can play everything :D

Huh, thought that they were the easiest cause the wiki said they field better armor, faster firing guns for more freedom AP at the cost of torps. That said carriers everywhere, therefore usn AA spam has aready saved my arse more then once. At least good to know.

PS which is the easiest then?

On 25/09/2018 at 7:41 PM, Gnirf said:

You have a low game number so I suggest you stop grinding to get further, but play the NO to get captain skills. The higher up you go the level 4 skill CE is necessary, before that it is difficult to judge a ship. US crusiers have good concealment with CE and it helps to know when to fire and when to stay/go silent. The higher up you go the Battleships are likely to punish you hard/ even one shot you so situational awarenesss is the key.

Fair enough, I do have plenty of the commander xp bounus flag, gonna put them to good use.

[W-C]
Players
433 posts
1,791 battles
On 9/23/2018 at 5:00 PM, Nasty_Ninja said:

This was/is the first cruiser line I played (apart from a failed attempt at RN CL's - THOSE are the hardest to learn!) - now up to Baltimore

The thing is, you need to play it similar to the USN CL line - at least in the way that islands are your armour! Just because they are 'Heavy' cruisers doesn't mean they have good armour!!!! I am far from good, but I found supporting your DD's by taking out the cruiser support is the way to go - you have great AP, so can heavily punish enemy cruisers. Yes, target the red DD's with HE, but (hopefully) there is a friendly CL around to help in that regard so you can blap their cruiser support instead - basically, you'll be switching ammo types and targets a lot! HE 'spam' (as much as your RoF will let you) angled targets and BB's, but if a BB has a couple of fires, your AP can take pretty big chunks from his broadside upper armour belt and bow/stern from close-mid range (although you don't really want to be stuck in a position where you have to brawl them -you will not come out on top)! You have most of your firepower in front... don't risk showing too much side just to get the back guns firing. And it's quite nice to just poke your nose out from around an island, fire, then sneak back (make sure you are stationary or starting to reverse before firing so you get back to cover before they enemy can react). Using 'C' when zoomed in to switch view to the front turrets (it cycles through all of them) helps with aiming! And be very wary of the mini-map - see what has/might have angles on you, what the biggest threat to you is, what the biggest threat to your team is (can you take it out!?!?!?!) should you re position now to be in a better position when that cruiser comes round that island in a couple of minutes etc. Also important to remember... sometimes the best thing to do is NOT to fire! Especially early game when getting into position. Too often I've taken a potshot at a 'juicy' target (straight-lining broadside cruiser at 15k e.g.) before close enough to cover to miss the incoming sh*tstorm and lost masses of HP fast!

Below are a couple of my games - although yes they were wins, nothing was particularly spectacular... but they might help?

Spoiler

This is probably a less-typical game!

This one is kinda typical (for me) with a low-impact start of match and then things hot up towards the end.

Have fun

• Cool 3