Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Yedwy

Could we get Belfast back in changed form?

59 comments in this topic

[JRM]
Players
939 posts
13,405 battles

Reading up a bit of naval stuff randomy it occured to me that it might be possible to use the model already existing in game and having a RN premium cruser (that also happenes to be a museum ship) without returning the OP ship...

What i propose is basically this:

Rename existing Belfast into BelfastR (as Belfast - refit) without any other changes to it (pretty sure eula allows this since it doesnt change any significant parameter of ship) and add Belfast as premium with added pre-radar refit stuff (ie torps and plane catapult instead of radar) so instead of having current set of consumables it could have DCP, hydro, smoke and spotter plane (same as perth) having HE shells would still be a thing people would like to have (same as perth) and it wouldnt be OP.

Since it is a real world and a museum ship it belongs in game as premium espetially since the raw model already exists and would not require too much moddeling just adding torp tubes and plane catapult rearanging some of the aa and making a new camo for it, it could even tie in with release of UK dds and anniversary of battle of north cape as in either releasing it in that time or even making it a reward in the annual christmas campaign (3 months could be just anout enough time to touch up models and tweak it through supertesting), it would be both in line with previous such events and historically fitting since Belfast was in that older configuration at the time of the said battle with hangars and plane catspult still in place (aldough it didnt carry planes themselves)

Would this be possible? @MrConway @Crysantos

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

Beta Tester
2,205 posts
8,875 battles

It could be a bit confusing for players at T5-7 to meet two completely different Belfasts.

On the other hand, they could just remember it as Belfast R(=Radar) :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,726 posts
7,346 battles

Town Class cruisers .... but we already have Edinburgh.

Then it would be better to add another Town Class cruiser?

Name Pennant Builder Laid down Launched Commissioned Fate
Southampton class
Newcastle
(ex-Minotaur)
C76 Vickers-Armstrongs, Newcastle 4 October 1934 23 January 1936 5 March 1937 Broken up at Faslane, 1959
Southampton
(ex-Polyphemus)
C83 John Brown, Clydebank 21 November 1934 10 March 1936 6 March 1937 Scuttled following air attack off Malta, 11 January 1941
Sheffield C24 Vickers-Armstrongs, Newcastle 31 January 1935 23 July 1936 25 August 1937 Broken up at Faslane, 1967
Glasgow C21 Scotts, Greenock 16 April 1935 20 June 1936 9 September 1937 Broken up at Blyth, 1958
Birmingham C19 HM Dockyard, Devonport 18 July 1935 1 September 1936 18 November 1937 Broken up at Inverkeithing, 1960
Gloucester class
Liverpool C11 Fairfields, Govan 17 February 1936 24 March 1937 2 November 1938 Broken up at Bo'Ness, 1958
Manchester C15 Hawthorn Leslie, Hebburn 28 March 1936 12 April 1937 4 August 1938 Scuttled following torpedo attack off Cap Bon, 13 August 1942
Gloucester C62 HM Dockyard, Devonport 22 September 1936 19 October 1937 31 January 1939 Sunk following air attack off Crete, 22 May 1941
Edinburgh class
Belfast C35 Harland and Wolff, Belfast 10 December 1936 17 March 1938 5 August 1939 Preserved as museum ship in London
Edinburgh C16 Swan Hunter, Newcastle 30 December 1936 31 March 1938 6 July 1939 Scuttled following torpedo attack, 2 May 1942
  • Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
14,637 posts
10,869 battles

Unlikely.

They could give us one of her sisters.

I also do not understand why the premium works differently than the silver line. Should they bring a new premium, it should work as the silver ships with AP only (apart from the fact that I do not like the mechanic).

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
939 posts
13,405 battles

@nambr9 that too would be an option, yes BUT since both none of the others exists today and belfast is a museum ship after all and fact it has a distinctly different hull since it had a "mine blast refit" I feel its a better choice for a  premium

[DSW]
Players
3,782 posts
7,726 battles
27 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

instead of having current set of consumables it could have DCP, hydro, smoke and spotter plane (same as perth) having HE shells would still be a thing people would like to have (same as perth) and it wouldnt be OP.

like hell it wouldn't. Get rid of spotterplane and maybe...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,627 battles

They can just bring them both back since it wont matter any more with what WG recently is reliecing (Kutuzov and Belfast). +/- several more radars wont matter at all since everything gets one these days.

Weekend Tester
541 posts
4,964 battles

Belfast is being power-crept so quickly by game developments that i expect WG could just bring it back on normal sale by Christmas anyway.

Ditto Kutuzov.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,113 posts
18,126 battles
9 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

Belfast is being power-crept so quickly [...].

Ditto Kutuzov.

plz elaborate

Players
293 posts
9,027 battles

Ahhhh. Another reason to love my Belfast, her launch day is the same day as my birthday (not year obviously), I was always meant to get her :cap_money:

Belfast C35 Harland and Wolff, Belfast 10 December 1936 17 March 1938 5 August 1939 Preserved as museum ship in London

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,168 posts
2,397 battles

Well Hydro is being standardized, Radar is a problem and WG have two solutions prototyped.

So in future she could be resold.

Players
507 posts
8,352 battles

Woot, I thought she got removed because with the smoke changes she is nigh unplayable, I mean Wargaming offered a refund back when the patch went live... :cat_paw:

Players
914 posts
7,165 battles

She's still difficult to play against if the Belfast is in a Division, and divisional play was always one of the big reasons why the smoke changes happened.... Atlanta, Perth, Belfast, salt.

[JRM]
Players
939 posts
13,405 battles

Nope the refund was offered becouse of the smoke change, however she was removed becouse she overperformed and she overperformed becouse she is the only ship in game that has radar and smoke at the same time and as if that wasnt enough her radar range is her spotting range, ergo - you get spotted, punch radar see the dd start shooting, smoke up and punch hydro so his friends cant shoot you, dd has little chance to torp you and it usually ends up with belfast pushing put the dd and capping or killing the dd and capping.

There are those that consider any HE on a smoke capable ship OP, but even if we neglect fact that neither flint, huanghe or perth were removed fro sale still remains the question of haragumo that is more then capable of the same smoke fire pi**ing feat and was added recently...

• Boring 1

Players
914 posts
7,165 battles

Nope. A Perth/Belfast division could keep each other smoked up almost indefinitely, combine that with Belfast's radar, hydro and the fact that at the time you had to be up the Belfast's nose before it was possible to see it, and you can see where the problem was. I once Perth smoked a whole column of ships from our cap to the enemy's without being spotted. It was just silly.

Players
507 posts
8,352 battles
Vor 51 Minuten, Yedwy sagte:

Nope the refund was offered becouse of the smoke change, however she was removed becouse she overperformed and she overperformed becouse she is the only ship in game that has radar and smoke at the same time and as if that wasnt enough her radar range is her spotting range, ergo - you get spotted, punch radar see the dd start shooting, smoke up and punch hydro so his friends cant shoot you, dd has little chance to torp you and it usually ends up with belfast pushing put the dd and capping or killing the dd and capping.

There are those that consider any HE on a smoke capable ship OP, but even if we neglect fact that neither flint, huanghe or perth were removed fro sale still remains the question of haragumo that is more then capable of the same smoke fire pi**ing feat and was added recently...

Black also has Smoke+Radar...

...but I guess my slightly veiled sarcasm was too veiled. I know that WG removed her because she is too influentual: the smoke change was a nice opportunity for them to get rid of both her and kutu. I own her, so I should know... ^^

[RL7S]
Players
131 posts
1,974 battles
4 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Town Class cruisers .... but we already have Edinburgh.

Then it would be better to add another Town Class cruiser?

Name Pennant Builder Laid down Launched Commissioned Fate
Southampton class
Newcastle
(ex-Minotaur)
C76 Vickers-Armstrongs, Newcastle 4 October 1934 23 January 1936 5 March 1937 Broken up at Faslane, 1959
Southampton
(ex-Polyphemus)
C83 John Brown, Clydebank 21 November 1934 10 March 1936 6 March 1937 Scuttled following air attack off Malta, 11 January 1941
Sheffield C24 Vickers-Armstrongs, Newcastle 31 January 1935 23 July 1936 25 August 1937 Broken up at Faslane, 1967
Glasgow C21 Scotts, Greenock 16 April 1935 20 June 1936 9 September 1937 Broken up at Blyth, 1958
Birmingham C19 HM Dockyard, Devonport 18 July 1935 1 September 1936 18 November 1937 Broken up at Inverkeithing, 1960
Gloucester class
Liverpool C11 Fairfields, Govan 17 February 1936 24 March 1937 2 November 1938 Broken up at Bo'Ness, 1958
Manchester C15 Hawthorn Leslie, Hebburn 28 March 1936 12 April 1937 4 August 1938 Scuttled following torpedo attack off Cap Bon, 13 August 1942
Gloucester C62 HM Dockyard, Devonport 22 September 1936 19 October 1937 31 January 1939 Sunk following air attack off Crete, 22 May 1941
Edinburgh class
Edinburgh C16 Swan Hunter, Newcastle 30 December 1936 31 March 1938 6 July 1939 Scuttled following torpedo attack, 2 May 1942

Town class would make a great tier 7 replacement but they aren't the same as Edinburgh/Belfast.

HMSSouthampton.jpg.12f8209be2b1a01a343db85722cdaee8.jpg

Basically Town class came first, then Edinburgh is a stretched Town class (was meant to carry 4x quad turrets but got extra AA instead) and Fiji is a slightly scaled down war-time economy version of the Town class. 

Players
8 posts
2,092 battles

Hi guys. I'm pretty new to the forum, so if I commit any mistake please let me know and forgive me. I really think that Belfast should be in the game anyhow. As a museum ship and historically relevant ship she can't be left out. I have Edinburgh and I like it very much. Belfast could, in my opinion, brought back in the game giving her the same smoke consumable as Edinburgh and maintaing her radar and hydro and keeping her at tier VII. It's unfair, in my opinion, that people who joined the game later her cancelling or who couldn't buy her when she was available can't enjoy such a wanderful ship. 

I don't think that Belfast can't be changed in order to be enjoyable again, after all Cleveland has been modified and placed in tier VIII without very much problem...

Beta Tester
193 posts
5,634 battles
36 minutes ago, xedorunner said:

Hi guys. I'm pretty new to the forum, so if I commit any mistake please let me know and forgive me. I really think that Belfast should be in the game anyhow. As a museum ship and historically relevant ship she can't be left out. I have Edinburgh and I like it very much. Belfast could, in my opinion, brought back in the game giving her the same smoke consumable as Edinburgh and maintaing her radar and hydro and keeping her at tier VII. It's unfair, in my opinion, that people who joined the game later her cancelling or who couldn't buy her when she was available can't enjoy such a wanderful ship. 

I don't think that Belfast can't be changed in order to be enjoyable again, after all Cleveland has been modified and placed in tier VIII without very much problem...

Wargaming have a general policy of not nerfing premium ships as the player base tends to get pretty angry when they start nerfing things people have paid actual money for. It isn't worth the fallout and to avoid kicking up too much of a stink when WG mess up a premium ship they tend to just remove it from sale. It isn't such a problem with silver ships, and in the case of the Cleveland WG gave everyone who had her upgraded into a free tier 8 version and got a free tier 6 into the bargain so most people were happy with the deal. The only way they would likely nerf the Belfast is indirectly by changing a core mechanic (e.g. radar) which would affect all ships in the game that used it - a similar thing happened when they stopped ships being able to stealth fire in open water.

They could release a premium sister ship with different balance but any premium ship carrying the name Belfast would like get compared to the original and people would get angry that their new version wasn't as good as the old version which only people who bought her at the time would have.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,380 posts
7,728 battles

How about making new "Belfast T" by removing smoke AND radar, and adding speed boost and 10km slow torps?:Smile_popcorn:

[DC-DK]
Players
2,065 posts
23,529 battles

They could swap the 3D model, names and properties on Belfast and Edinburgh. This way the Belfast become the T-VIII silver ship and the Edinburgh the rare premium. I wouldn't mind which of these was the premium. Just for the record I have both ships. Likely to happen realistic spoken no. But it could be a solution