You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
EgyptOverseer

Level of play - Perception?

74 comments in this topic

Players
401 posts
4,767 battles

Through the past 2 weeks I have felt random matches have become either boring wins or humiliating defeats.

Over this past year I have seen various changes and mission arcs changing play or saturating some specific classes, but this time it just feels a worse experience generally.

I want to know if I am alone in this or if anyone else shares this view. It could just be me or my perception, but today in particular has been absolutely atrocious. Honestly never had so many continuous defeats in a day while simultaneously being top or 2nd best in the XP board. Has something significant changed in the game mechanics with 0.7.9 besides the weird rendering delay saga?

• Cool 4

[CATS]
Players
14,653 posts
10,873 battles

If half the people were right that the gameplay gets worse all the time, then 120% of your team would start teamkilling only you, one second after match start.

Everyone would leave every match with 0 XP.

• Cool 1

Players
3,324 posts
5,771 battles
3 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

If half the people were right that the gameplay gets worse all the time, then 120% of your team would start teamkilling only you, one second after match start.

????

• Funny 1

Players
401 posts
4,767 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

I understand the probability approach, but you did lose me there halfway. :cap_hmm:

I am not talking about WR per say. Just level of play. Again, I am stressing the fact it may just be my perception, hence why I came here to gauge if it's just that.

[CATS]
Players
14,653 posts
10,873 battles
12 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

I understand the probability approach, but you did lose me there halfway.

I am not talking about WR per say. Just level of play. Again, I am stressing the fact it may just be my perception, hence why I came here to gauge if it's just that.

There would be no gameplay left at all, when half the people complaining were right.

People started complaining about the downfall of gameplay before the release...

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,399 posts
13,813 battles

Past two weeks?

Have you not been playing for a while?

@Saiyko when are you going to write that song finally? It's needed here.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,399 posts
13,813 battles
2 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Fair enough. It's just me then. Forget I opened the topic. Nothing to see here. :cap_old:

Oh no, it's not just you, trust me.

But this state of the game has existed for approx. a year already. Pretty much every game I play is a stomp one way or another. Close games are extremely rare and if they do occur they usually do in the most ridiculous way possible (aka people being :etc_swear: and attempting to throw).

I honestly can't remember the last time I had a enjoyable "good" match where both teams had a decent standard of play and fought until the last minute to win.

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
898 posts
8,733 battles

Today has been loss after loss, but it is a Saturday. Thing is that it can in some instances not be a game, just a struggle to survive, and do as much damage as possible, as your team disappears in the first few minutes.

Todays highlights:-

I was asked by a Nurnberg "how do you turn the smoke on?" ......yeah you got to tier VI, with no idea of the abilities of your chosen ship.

I was castigated by 65% WR player for being useless, as I didn't cap, straight away in my first trip out in the lightning (RN DD). He pushed to far forward, and was the first to die (Des Moins) I then went on to sink 2 BBs and a Zao, topped the leader board for a rare win.

The match making could be accused of being rigged as usual, stomps by >50% teams, on <50%WR teams. But that has been discussed to death.

I know one thing.....If the level of game play does not improve, then I'll give up weekend play. Its pointless. It seems that the only good games are on week days, late at night, when the kids have to go to school, and daddy has to go to work the next day.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
883 posts
7,291 battles

I feel like every online game I've played (with similar "random queue" MM mechanics) has struggled with this issue, i.e. "close" games being rare.

I think a lot of it comes down to what's known as the "snowball effect". First team to commit a mistake that makes them lose some ships becomes more likely to suffer the next loss. We long for that mythical game with a nail-biter plot -- but they're just naturally rare.

That said, I had two super close games just tonight.

As far as general level of play, I don't think it's changed significantly. And it's not especially bad in WoWS, about what you'd expect in a fully open random queue.

• Cool 2

Players
338 posts
1,465 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

@Saiyko when are you going to write that song finally? It's needed here.

Whenever I see you mention this, by a process of association I end up with your version of 'All Signs Point to Lauderdale' from the 'poetic playerbase' thread going round my head for several hours. Not that this is a bad thing, quite the contrary – I mean just to say your work is appreciated and the lyrics as catchy as the original :crab: \m/

• Funny 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,399 posts
13,813 battles
15 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

What do you make of this?

Either not enough games played for WR to be a representative statistic or the player is a damage farming :etc_swear:.

• Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
3,878 posts
5,011 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

Either not enough games played for WR to be a representative statistic or the player is a damage farming :etc_swear:.

28 gun kills and 4 torp kills, so 32 kills overall. Almost 1 kill per game on average. Would guess 33 games. So, not representative. Given Shchors' torps have 4 km range, I'd even say they are playing the ship pretty aggressive to get torp kills in every 8th game. Apart from the few that have no torps, I know no cruiser at T7 that incentivises staying away from torp range more. Even ships with similarly bad torp ranges like Atlanta (4.5 km) can use these torps more, as Atlanta is a nimble small ship that prefers playing around islands and hasn't got the range to effectively fight at range. That is not to say Shchors cannot be a monster in brawls, as long as it meets no BB. If you use hydro, the ship is no Helena, but can demolish cruisers and destroyers with its respectable dpm and high shell velocity still. In terms of armament, it is the same as Chapayev after all.

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,878 posts
5,011 battles
23 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

That is a full grind of the Shchors, at 46 battles.

46 is still a terrible sample size. If you won just two of the games you lost, you'd sit on 50%, 2 more and you'd be on a rather comfortable 54.35%. and you might agree, 2-4 battles going one way or another is not representative of how skilled a person is. 

• Cool 1

Players
403 posts
4,188 battles

it's been that way for a year. the more things change, the more people don't want to take damage. it's all by design by WG.  they reward selfish play.

• Cool 1

Players
445 posts
6,339 battles
5 hours ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Through the past 2 weeks I have felt random matches have become either boring wins or humiliating defeats.

Over this past year I have seen various changes and mission arcs changing play or saturating some specific classes, but this time it just feels a worse experience generally.

I want to know if I am alone in this or if anyone else shares this view. It could just be me or my perception, but today in particular has been absolutely atrocious. Honestly never had so many continuous defeats in a day while simultaneously being top or 2nd best in the XP board. Has something significant changed in the game mechanics with 0.7.9 besides the weird rendering delay saga?

I imagine there are a lot of people playing because of the RN arc who haven't played since the last freebies. It's been the same for nearly a week. Nothing but loss after loss. I have adapted to the more useless team meta and so have upped my damage and xp, but there are still a lot of losses. A few wins today though. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,583 posts
6,242 battles
5 hours ago, EgyptOverseer said:

1 рубль for every thread I saw, in the 2 years since I play, who startet with this and/or a similar phrase... I could buy out Victor Kislyi  by now.

• Funny 4

Players
401 posts
4,767 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

46 is still a terrible sample size. If you won just two of the games you lost, you'd sit on 50%, 2 more and you'd be on a rather comfortable 54.35%. and you might agree, 2-4 battles going one way or another is not representative of how skilled a person is. 

Fair enough.

But how about this?

bPxAgSO.jpg

Almost had more XP than the top XP ship on the winning team. Still a loss.

• Boring 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,399 posts
13,813 battles
2 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Some games are simply impossible to carry regardless of what ship you play. Even triple super unicum CV + AA divs lose a match against randoms from time to time due to their team being absolutely :etc_swear:.

Kudos for being able to do that in a Yorck tho. I didn't like that ship at all.

• Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
3,878 posts
5,011 battles
38 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Some games are simply impossible to carry regardless of what ship you play. Even triple super unicum CV + AA divs lose a match against randoms from time to time due to their team being absolutely :etc_swear:.

Kudos for being able to do that in a Yorck tho. I didn't like that ship at all.

But Yorck isn't really a bad ship. You cannot really use long-range AP like on Hipper, but at least the HE only has low fire chance, not low damage. Ap at short to medium distances is workable too. The ship has mediocre armor and decent maneuverability, with a lot of torps.

Soon it also gets a buff.

49 minutes ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Fair enough.

But how about this?

bPxAgSO.jpg

Well, in the end, we are only one of 12. But usually, these defeats stay an exception and while slightly saddening, there's not much of a point getting angry over it. One can try to keep working on getting better, think about how to carry harder, but getting worked up just defeats the purpose of the game.

Spoiler

shot-18_09_09_18_09.23-0934.thumb.jpg.ddca48cf7444cfc21a605194ed77bde4.jpg

shot-18_09_09_18_09.26-0609.thumb.jpg.c02794af848e3eaaf7b78af5ba859e9a.jpg

"Weekend Madness" indeed...:Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,399 posts
13,813 battles
30 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

But Yorck isn't really a bad ship. You cannot really use long-range AP like on Hipper, but at least the HE only has low fire chance, not low damage. Ap at short to medium distances is workable too. The ship has mediocre armor and decent maneuverability, with a lot of torps.

Honestly it isn't so much the ship I disliked but rather the floaty shells that kinda turns her into something more akin to a discount Cleve instead of being a logical continuation to Nürnberg. Back then I thought to myself that I'd much rather take out a Nürnberg into T7 than sailing with Yorck. She's not bad, my results were actually pretty good, but I never felt comfortable playing her. If I get floaty shells, I want the rof and/or the number of guns to back it up. Yorck provides neither.

This is probably why I actually like Hipper. Pretty much the same hull parameters but with comfy gunnery to play out her range advantage.

Yorck is certainly gonna need that buff now that Helena exists.

• Cool 2

[H_FAN]
Players
1,941 posts
22,485 battles
8 hours ago, EgyptOverseer said:

All post (nearly) in this manner forgets the progress bias, i.e. if the play more and get better they see things that other newer/worse players misses, they are noticing mistakes that they missed earlier in the career so they are finding more and more mistakes by default.

I do that too, if level of play are worse in reality - maybe but the snowball effect will be there regardless of player standard as it is the same average standard on both tems. 

Also in the early days you were really taught the difference between AP/HE, before IFHE, before RN BBs, before the shotgun French BBs in some tiers, with citadels on the BB lines etc, now many new players are not required to learn that in same manner so that might be a natural cause. It is even so that we experienced players have to unlearn to get better effiency, I play Conq the hateful way as this shows good effectiveness not my trusty Warspite however. Play Kutuzov with IFHE only until I really have broadside cruiser close as it works

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
90 posts
18,152 battles

The general level of play has gone down since steam launch, before people played that liked ships specifically now you get any Muppet from steam thinking on free to.play I'll give that a go and don't really put in the time to learn